VF48Hours Lockdown Forum

dramamike
Since: Apr 2011

Feed for this Topic

Failure rate?

I'm intrigued by the seemingly high number of films that failed to make the finish line in Wellington this year.
With about 35 minutes to go there were 120-130 teams still to hand in.
I didn't count them, but no where near that number arrived. I'd guess may 50-60 no shows at the finish line. (Cue Wellingon managers for correction...)

I've never seen this high a failure rate (50/185) in Wellington. More surprising with the extra hour, but perhaps teams pushed the boat out more.

What was it like around the rest of the country?

2020 Lockdown The Nutbar News at Nine Urban Fantasy
2019 Depart'ners Buddy
2018 Thanks to the Academy Heist Ultra
2017 Forelsket Nutbar Films Buddy Sacrifice
2016 Con Troll Alt Delete Nutbar Films Horror Fan Favourite. City Finalist for Make-Up
2015 Hide and Seek Nutbar Films Mystery
2014 Confessions Nutbar, with a taste of Nimlin Film, within a film
2013 Made Maid Nutbar Films City Finalist for POV Shot Robot/Cyborg/Android
2012 I Still Dream in Colour Nutbar Films Action
2011 Raptured Golden Carrot Films Mystery
2010 Fraternal Fabrication Golden Carrot Films Twin
2009 I love you this much Golden Carrot Films Romance
2008 Luke Walker and the Golden Carrot William Shatner's Pants Animal

Meatloaf
Since: Jun 2012

Man, you guys are a bunch of softies! There I was thinking film folks are all singularly focussed and obsessed with just the world of 48 Hours only. Wait, maybe this proves they are!
This was the nicest thread exchange I've ever read in the last 4 years, it brought a knowing smile to my face ... now where are those tissues?

Mel Bailey-Reeve
Since: May 2012

in reply to DylanReeve:

Pfft... Soft! I did the competition in 2005 within weeks of my eldest son's birth... And in 2009 with a 6 month-old. And in 2011 with a 6-month pregnant wife :-P

Had to jump in to remind Dylan of the 2012 shoot - 3am in a cemetery on K Road with a baby in a carrier strapped to my chest. Don't let babies stand in the way of film making!

Section59

in reply to CraigWB:

How did you go about importing the footage? Did you have the import plug ins from Sony installed? Or did you use Sony's importing software.

The Sony came with its own importing software. Popped it in as an .mp4 along with a couple of other files in unique folders.

Section59 Films
www.Section59.co.nz

2007 - Death Nurse (Grindhouse)
2008 - The Orphan and the Inn (Fairy Tale)
2009 - Larger Than Life (Realtime)
2010 - We took a holiday :)
2011 - Crime of the Centuries (Crime)
2012 - Pronoia (Crime) - Christchurch team: Intelligent Design
2012 - S.H.A.R.P. (Superhero) - Wellington team: Random Acts
2013 - Breath of the Gods (Techno Thriller) - Christchurch team: Intelligent Design
2013 - Scooter Girl (Obsessive Relationship) - Wellington team: Random Acts
2014 - Repute (Film Within A Film) - Christchurch team: Intelligent Design
2014 - The Talented Mr Chancey (Mistaken Identity) - Wellington team: Random Acts
2015 - In Bread, Love. (Romantic Comedy) - Christchurch team: Intelligent Design
2015 - Stealing Thoughts (Other Dimension) - Wellington team: Random Acts

Section59

in reply to schmorla:

Noooooo! I always love your reviews and see them as the real test of my team's success. If we get a good review from you, we've made a good film.

Agreed. You're a damn hardass, but fair. I have always taken some good tips from your reviews SP.

Section59 Films
www.Section59.co.nz

2007 - Death Nurse (Grindhouse)
2008 - The Orphan and the Inn (Fairy Tale)
2009 - Larger Than Life (Realtime)
2010 - We took a holiday :)
2011 - Crime of the Centuries (Crime)
2012 - Pronoia (Crime) - Christchurch team: Intelligent Design
2012 - S.H.A.R.P. (Superhero) - Wellington team: Random Acts
2013 - Breath of the Gods (Techno Thriller) - Christchurch team: Intelligent Design
2013 - Scooter Girl (Obsessive Relationship) - Wellington team: Random Acts
2014 - Repute (Film Within A Film) - Christchurch team: Intelligent Design
2014 - The Talented Mr Chancey (Mistaken Identity) - Wellington team: Random Acts
2015 - In Bread, Love. (Romantic Comedy) - Christchurch team: Intelligent Design
2015 - Stealing Thoughts (Other Dimension) - Wellington team: Random Acts

DylanReeve

in reply to Mel Bailey-Reeve:

Had to jump in to remind Dylan of the 2012 shoot - 3am in a cemetery on K Road with a baby in a carrier strapped to my chest. Don't let babies stand in the way of film making!

I can't believe I forgot that. Not often you see a woman with a baby in a front-pack on K Road at 3am on a Sunday morning.

Dylan Reeve | Edit Geek
Fractured Radius | Auckland | Since 2003

2017 | Supernatural | Morgan's Time 2: Morgan's Fate
2015/2016 } I was doing other things...
2014 | Time Travel | Morgan's Time
2013 | Robot/Android/Cyborg | Incredibly Advanced Robotics
2012 | Fantasy Adventure | Tilting at Windmills
2011 | One Room (Quest) | The Office Quest
2010 | Musical/Dance | Professional Dancer
2009 | Musical/Dance | All's Fair
2008 | Drama | The End (Auckland Winner)
2007 | Crime | The Big Job
2006 | Action/Adventure | Three Heroes Against Terror (City Finalist)
2005 | Romance | Fruits of Passion
2004 | Action/Adventure | The Sceptre of MacGuffin (City Finalist)
2003 | Cop/Crime | Forensic Investigation Team

CraigWB

in reply to Section59:

I don't really know what this import software or how you went about the import but Final Cut Pro doesn't take the mp4 files as they are off the camera they have to be re-wrapped as quicktime files by the import software which can be either built into FCP via a plug in or an external app.

Team Spielberg craigbickerstaff@me.com +64212166821
The longest running non-finalist in the competition.
2020 Lockdown Read, are the tea leaves : The Unwanted Guest
2019 Burgled on High : Musical ULTRA
2018 The How, The What, The Who and The Why : The Heist Movie ULTRA
2017 Operator Part II Twin Souls : Thriller/Horror One Room ULTRA
2016 The Real Time Movie : What kind of day has it been
2015 Other Dimension Movie : Rift
2014 Race Against the Clock : EIGHT POINT FIVE
2013 Musical : Wolfgang
2012 Horror : The Unrested Soul
2011 One Room (Horror) : Operator -- Audience favourite
2010 Twin Movie : Secrets in Dowsing
2009 M Night Big Twist Film : The Unfinished
2008 Drama : Breakfast at Four
2007 War : Purple Heart
Sakura Productions
2006 Musical : Sardines
2005 Mockumentary : Smuggling for Dummies DQ'ed

squire
Since: May 2013

We were on a laptop using FCPX and that took exactly one hour to render (encode) to output, though the progress percentage lies badly.

If you want high blood pressure, watch the lying FCPX percentage counter: 18% at 30min, 29% at 45min, 49% at 59mins, 100% at 60. Liar. Should call it the Morgan Foster percentage.

Then the MOV to MP4 conversion took about 10 mins (it didn't lie).

Squire Films
2018 - Potem Immortales Musical + Heist
2017 - One Drop Fairytale Winner: Best Bad Film & nominated Best Use of Technical Element
2015 - Hopeful Gardens Black Comedy nominated Best Costume Design & Best Use of Line
2014 - Morg Film within a Film
2013 - And So, To Sleep... Converging Storylines

ruth
Since: May 2011

Hi all, Wellington stats are as follows:

185 registered.
1 never started.
7 no shows.
13 DQ'd (9 late, 1 USB file unable to be read, 3 technical self DQs)

Sorry for the delay in getting these out.

Cheers, Ruth.

Meatloaf
Since: Jun 2012

in reply to ruth:

Thanks for the stats Ruth, and thank you to you (and Kelly) for taking part on the other side of the fence this year.
I was wondering if there is (or was) ever a fluid approach to setting the Heat make up and times? 176 viewable files means that less than 15 full heats are required. I think it's good that the school teams get grouped together as that does allow a more like to like comparison, but ...
Have Wgtn ever viewed the last two scheduled heats as contenders for moving forward into other spots, or is it just too hard logistically to take that kind of approach? Cheers.

dramamike

I'd like to see a 'Schools' Final'
This might only be feasible where there are a lot of school teams, and here in Welly it wouldn't need to be at the Embassy.
I think it would give extra status to slightly wider range of teams.
I know there are a few who are nominated for the city finals, and I'm not suggesting a change to that, but this might be a nice option.

2019 Depart'ners Buddy
2016 Con Troll Alt Delete Nutbar Films Horror Fan Favourite. City Finalist for Make-Up

Josh Howard

in reply to dramamike:

i agree with a schools final, but i do think it needs the same type of venue. It is such a buzz for the students involved to see their work on the big screen, and helps cement their love for the competition and the industry. i am so glad that the Hamilton heats this year are in a movie theatre, and not just a large conference room.

2014 - Candlelight Productions - Shock Ending:
2014 - Lunar Films - Race Against The Clock:
2014 - Insomnia Films - Time Travel:
2014 - Grasshopper Studios - Shock Ending:
2013 - Insomnia Films - Horror:Pendulum
2013 - Grasshopper Studios - Converging Storylines:The Last Hand
2012 - Midnight Oil - 1-Shot (Horror):Mine
2012 - Grasshopper Studios - End of the World:Deadline
2011 - St Paul's - RomCom:Love In Reflection

dramamike

in reply to Josh Howard:

I wasn't thinking of 'downgrading' the venue, its just that the Embassy in Wellington is mega pricey.
You'd be able to get a really good venue for less that would still be an experience.
It would be cool if it was 'advertised' to the schools as a 'Red carpet' affair.

For my first few years in the comp we did this- when we attended the heats we dressed up for the occasion.

2019 Depart'ners Buddy

ruth

in reply to Meatloaf:

Hey Meatloaf, we organise the heats prior in alphabetical order as its the easiest way - we put school teams together so that we don't have any awkward 'M' rated films playing with a younger audience and also so we can play those earlier in the evening. We also sort the out of towners into weekend slots so they can come and watch if that's feasible. It would be a bit of a logistical nightmare to then try and rearrange based on films that look like contenders as it'd mean a lot of shuffling last minute as we don't know until we see them if they're looking likely. and we only had three days between hand-in and first heat to check and test all the files so it'd be a bit tight.

Chrs

Mista Teas

in reply to dramamike:

I'd like to see a 'Schools' Final'

I think the danger with this is you're starting to split the competition. The beauty of 48HRS is that everyone, regardless of age or experience is all in the same pool. If a school team makes a regional final, then awesome - they've kicked some ass. It's a big achievement. You've taken on the man, and won. Having a separate final with 12 other school teams is nice but also a bit lame. It's a little bit, "Oh, well you didn't make the REAL FINAL but we have another final for you 'cos you're a school team." What about a final for animated films? For musicals? For first time entrants? An All Female Team final?

The best school team, wins its area and then competes nationally against the best so the "final" notion is already there.

I also think our city managers already do enough.

Look, I'm a teacher myself and schools are filling up 48HR entries (35 in CHCH for example) and so they're important! But the cut throat nature of the competition is its strength.

A thing about schools and teachers too is that they often try and take over events, pushing their supposed needs. This comp shouldn't be about that at all. I'd hate to see the competitive aspect of 48HRS marginalised.

In CHCH there's a team Tannocks Team/Pig Guts. They've grown up in this comp and improved every year. They made the CHCH final last year. It was special. If there was a schools' final they probably would have been in it every year. Not sure if this would be valuable to that age group.

Also, I don't want to pay my entry fee knowing that a school team who has probably paid half has two chances to make a final! Maybe that's my real issue! :)

NOW SCREENING: Shed - Science Fiction; LOCKDOWN48
REVISIT: End - Real Time; CHCH25s

Everything Sticks since 2008
48Hr Films 2008-2020 48Sec Films 2008-2016

Mista Teas (Stu Gilpin) NATIONAL WINNER "Best/Most Prolific Reviewer" 2011 REVIEWS ARCHIVE

dramamike

in reply to Mista Teas:

The comp is already split in this way by having the 2 for 1 entry, the prizes for the best school team, the schools heats etc.

I don't want them ineligible for the main comp and simply believe that they should be given an extra night to celebrate.

The city winners for the best school team should still be announced at the city finals. But perhaps more awards, such as 'Best School Actor/actress', 'Best School Song" etc could be created for the school finals.

I'm a teacher too and I understand your points and maybe its not needed.
The difference between the various school entries is considerable and it would be nice to enable the better film makers amongst them to meet, mingle, and learn.

2019 Depart'ners Buddy

themorgan

in reply to Mista Teas:

I think the danger with this is you're starting to split the competition.

Yeah well it might happen.

We've seen people discuss various aspects of the comp in the last few days, one aspect being the timing, and the schools teams seem to all want it later in the year, but the rest of us are more divided about it (and probably tend to care less, but I definitely preferred earlier).

I do not need to see school shorts in the heats, I'm grateful they're mainly broken out into their own heats, they are generally just so bloody terrible. (With a few outstanding exceptions.)

I do not need teen teams munting up the heat reviews and ratings trying to "help out" their mates.

I do not need to have to worry about my short having adult material that isn't suitable for the teen audiences. (Not an issue this year, but who knows next year I might get revenge again?)

Forget the ongoing pro vs. amateur team debate, I think the real division is schools teams vs. the rest of us.

They can do it on a weekend that's convenient to schools and teachers. They can promote it directly and exclusively to schools. They can have a programme in the lead up to the weekend where they hold workshops and some sort of training. And they can make a real go of doing that in a way that would clutter up and confuse the normal 48hours shoot weekend.

Frauleins, oh frauleins
2020 | The Scary One with the Kid in the Photo | Unwanted Guest | LOCKDOWN | ...
2019 | Frank & Beans | Buddy Movie | ULTRA48 | DQ :) | Auckland Winner: Best Disqualified Film
2018 | MUST LOVE BOTS | Anti-RomCom | ULTRA48 | Heat 4 Audience Fav, Auckland Short List, Auckland Finalist: Best Script
2017 | I am ball 2 | Survival | ULTRA48
2016 | The Littlest Punk | Punk | Auckland finalist: Best Original Song
2015 | Crumbs | RomCom, Animated | DQ & Very bad!
2014 | I am ball | Musical, Animated | Auckland finalist: Best Use of Prop
2013 | Crybaby | Race Against Time | Boring!
2012 | S.U.L.A. | Urban Legend | Puppets
2011 | Kill Therapist | Revenge | Writer, Director, Actor | Notorious
2010 | Action Manu | Biopic | Writer, Director | Boring

Fractured Radius
2009 | All's Fair | Musical/Dance | Co-Writer
2008 | The End | Drama | Co-Writer | Auckland winner
2003 | F.I.T. | Cop/Crime | Peripheral

Mista Teas

in reply to themorgan:

Yup, and this is exactly what I mean by schools taking over - it starts to piss off/turn off adult entrants.

I've encouraged plenty of my students to enter, but they do so, not directly representing the school. They represent themselves and therefore can have freedom with the content they include, without fear of school repercussions. This also means their eyes are fully open when they attend heats.

Sort of hijacking this thread though...but I didn't start it!

Mista Teas (Stu Gilpin) NATIONAL WINNER "Best/Most Prolific Reviewer" 2011 REVIEWS ARCHIVE

Mista Teas

in reply to dramamike:

The comp is already split in this way by having the 2 for 1 entry, the prizes for the best school team, the schools heats etc.

Yip, and Female Team prize, Female director etc. The school heats are multi-purpose: earlier, cleaner - it's a common sense, goodwill, risk-management strategy. The entry fee is not a split, it's an incentive to enter - just like the free region incentives.

The city winners for the best school team should still be announced at the city finals. But perhaps more awards, such as 'Best School Actor/actress', 'Best School Song" etc could be created for the school finals.

Sort of defeats the purpose, doesn't it? With the Best School announced at the City Finals, they'll be shoe-ins for most of the other awards, you'd think! Again, it's a nice idea and schools sure love achievement ceremonies.

This is a good discussion though but thread hijack!

Taunise

Sort of also helping hijack but on a related note:

I think it's really great that school teams can be involved in the same competition as professionals. I don't know about younger teams, but our tertiary college team this year learned a lot about industry expectations and they'll learn even more at their heats. By denying school teams this interaction with films from professional entries, I think it would ruin some of the culture of evolution, learning and amazing results that 48 hours has.

Besides, we were all there once, I'm sure our first 48 hour films were just as terrible, regardless of whether we were students or not. And lets not forget there are plenty of "adult" entries that are just as terrible, and some which are a lot worse than school entries.

Let's not get into elitism about it, nobody's asking anyone to babysit the school teams, just let them share our space.

Edit: Nobody's asking you to watch all of them anyway. You watch the films in your heats. 13 films or so is not that much to ask especially to give people an audience and feedback.

Serial Reviewer - Let me know if you want a review on your 48 hours film.

2018: The Land Before Rhyme (Musical + 10 Year) - Toowit Toowoo (ULTRA)
2017: Glasnost 2: Blood Moon (Supernatural) - Toowit Toowoo (ULTRA)
2016: Chasing Tail (Cat and Mouse) - Astronomollusc
2015: Glasnost (Buddy) - Fractal Pandas
2014: Entropy (Time Travel) - Toowit Toowoo
2013: Lights. Camera. Wasteland. (Reunion) - 42 Cents
2012: A Grave Mistake (Horror) - Toowit Toowoo
2011: Keeping Station (One Room + Mystery) - Toowit Toowoo
2010: Alex's Puddle, the Peequal (Ghost Film) - Whoflipped.com
Also 2010: Avatar - A Sign from Guarana (V48 Seconds)
More about Us

dramamike

in reply to Taunise:

I most certainly fit that category. My first 48 Hour film was/is not flash at all....
Made worse by the fact that we ran out of time to put in the subtitles we'd planned for the entire film...

I thought threads were designed to be hijacked?

All positive discussion is welcomed. Disagreement is the source of so many genius ideas. An idea that is not debated is almost always dumb.

2019 Depart'ners Buddy