VF48Hours Forum

bryndalville
Since: May 2012

Feed for this Topic

Are we allowed to use things like Facebook or a fake youtube page in our film?

Hi, I'm new to 48 hours this year and just wondering how lenient the rules are... I would hate to make a film and have it disqualified because of a small thing.

So my first question is, can you include things such as a message posted on facebook... or say for the genre "FAD" could you mock up a youtube page and put your own video (filmed within the 48hours obviously) on a fake youtube page to show the amount of views it has had...? or would you have to come up with a name thats not copyright like instead of "youtube" use "videos today" or instead of "facebook" "updateme"?

Also how lenient are the genre rules... for example if you got "one room" as a genre do you HAVE to film in only one room the whole time? or can you include flashbacks etc that help the story but aren't filmed in that one room? obviously you may be marked down for doing this, but it would receive a disqualification would it? I mean if you get a comedy, you're not gonna get in trouble if there's a scene that's not funny...

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Bryn
Rotorua

treefrog
Since: Apr 2011

Dear Bryndalville...
Nope. Just nope. If you are to mock up a real Facebook page, its likely you're going to step on someones copyright (ads and legal ownership etc) and thats a mine you don't want to step on.

But mocking up your own 'video serving site' would be superb, and frankly, very cool.

Genre rules are monitored quit closely, one room, really means it, but theres nothing to say that you can't subvert the genre.
That is, interpret the genre to your advantage, not to break it deliberately cos you might find it too restrictive, but to find a way of creatively using the genre to help you.

As an example:
One room: One hotel room, with bathroom, shower, wardrobe and, perhaps, balcony. Or a garage, with storage, inspection pit, mezzanine, tea room and compressor space. See? Flash backs? Hmmm, I'm not a fan of then in general anyway, but I'd have to say nah. Not really.

Comedy? Owwww, thats tough, if the scene wasn't funny, then thats' just bad writing, but if that scene sets up a funny scene later, then its served a purpose. Look at any 'Fawlty Towers' and you'll see what I mean. The maid character 'Penny' (from Season 3 onwards) was often used to set up a funny scene, and she simply wasn't funny at all.

RULE #1 Cross the line with a finished film before 7pm Sunday night. A good luck!

2009-2015 48 Hours Otago/Southland Manager, all-round filmy geek.
2008 - 'Oh! My Gucci Boots!' - Cats of a Feather - Director -*Best Costuming
2007 - 'ARC' - Schrodghers Cat - D.O.P.
2006 - 'Scarred-The Directors Cut' - Strange Attractor - Audience Favourite

Frieda_nz
Since: May 2011

Pretty sure Taika Waititi had a 48 hour film chock full of Facebook shots - "A Perfect Love" 2008 - awesome short! .....but perhaps things have changed since then

Andrew Todd

In this day and age you can't be careful enough about respecting copyright - which includes websites.

Mocking up your own parody sites, though, in addition to being legally defensible, can also be hilarious, as in the incredible Time-A-Saurus.

GHOST SHARK 2: URBAN JAWS available for download or stream
Senior Contributor at Birth.Movies.Death

2019 - "Розкол (Schism)" - Science Fiction (National finalist, Chch 3rd place + Best Cinematography)
2018 - "Утка (Utka)" - Wish (National finalist, Chch winner + Best Script + Best Animation, official selection Kiev International Short Film Festival)
2011-2017 - Christchurch 48HOURS City Manager
2010 - "I Am Single" - Rom-Com (Chch finalist + Best Art Direction)
2009 - "New Fish" - Musical (National runner-up + Best Score, Chch winner)
2008 - "Übermensch" - Horror (Chch finalist)
2007 - "Pain Killer: The Sick Sense" - Superhero (Chch finalist)
ALSO - "As Of Yet Unfinished" (2012, unofficial); "The Contender" (2010, finals intro)

treefrog

Yep, its a litiginous world, boyzngurlz, better be safer than sorrier.

2009-2015 48 Hours Otago/Southland Manager, all-round filmy geek.
2008 - 'Oh! My Gucci Boots!' - Cats of a Feather - Director -*Best Costuming
2007 - 'ARC' - Schrodghers Cat - D.O.P.
2006 - 'Scarred-The Directors Cut' - Strange Attractor - Audience Favourite

dramamike

One room is unlikely to be back this year.
Few genres make back to back years (with the exception of the eternal dance/musical). Fingers crossed that my luck holds and dodge that particular bullet again.

Worthwhile discussion and guidance from you fullas regarding facebook etc.

2019 Depart'ners Buddy
2018 Thanks to the Academy Heist Ultra
2017 Forelsket Nutbar Films Buddy Sacrifice
2016 Con Troll Alt Delete Nutbar Films Horror Fan Favourite. City Finalist for Make-Up
2015 Hide and Seek Nutbar Films Mystery
2014 Confessions Nutbar, with a taste of Nimlin Film, within a film
2013 Made Maid Nutbar Films City Finalist for POV Shot Robot/Cyborg/Android
2012 I Still Dream in Colour Nutbar Films Action
2011 Raptured Golden Carrot Films Mystery
2010 Fraternal Fabrication Golden Carrot Films Twin
2009 I love you this much Golden Carrot Films Romance
2008 Luke Walker and the Golden Carrot William Shatner's Pants Animal

Andrew Todd

in reply to treefrog:

Genre rules are monitored quit closely, one room, really means it, but theres nothing to say that you can't subvert the genre.
That is, interpret the genre to your advantage, not to break it deliberately cos you might find it too restrictive, but to find a way of creatively using the genre to help you.

Also note that last year, for example, people's definition of "room" was pretty limited. Most were set in bedrooms or lounges.

Theatres, stadiums, closets, elevators, recording studios, wind tunnels, tanks, aircraft, bomb shelters, indoor swimming pools, classrooms, prison cells, hospital rooms, shipping containers, barns, offices, dairies, shops, and so on - these and more could all be called "rooms". Hell, the example image in the launch slideshow was from BURIED.

The genres aren't there to limit you - they're there to inspire you.

GHOST SHARK 2: URBAN JAWS available for download or stream
Senior Contributor at Birth.Movies.Death

2019 - "Розкол (Schism)" - Science Fiction (National finalist, Chch 3rd place + Best Cinematography)
2018 - "Утка (Utka)" - Wish (National finalist, Chch winner + Best Script + Best Animation, official selection Kiev International Short Film Festival)
2011-2017 - Christchurch 48HOURS City Manager
2010 - "I Am Single" - Rom-Com (Chch finalist + Best Art Direction)
2009 - "New Fish" - Musical (National runner-up + Best Score, Chch winner)
2008 - "Übermensch" - Horror (Chch finalist)
2007 - "Pain Killer: The Sick Sense" - Superhero (Chch finalist)
ALSO - "As Of Yet Unfinished" (2012, unofficial); "The Contender" (2010, finals intro)

Rocket Boy

'The genres aren't there to limit you - they're there to inspire you.'

Andrew, you should stand-up with a megaphone and shout that out loud at the CHCH launch.

Best bit of advice I've heard in a long time.

DylanReeve

It's very complicated this whole "can I use Facebook" thing. It's not really a copyright infringement to shoot a screen which as Facebook on it, it is definitely a copyright infringement to make your own website that used the Facebook logo. But it's complicated - making a feature of Facebook is questionable.

It's sort of like shooting outdoors. You don't have to avoid logos, they are in our public space, but featuring them is questionable - tilting down from a McDonald's sign to your character puking in the gutter would be a problem in terms of how it presents McDonald's. In the same way, having a serial-killer character meeting his potential victims on Facebook could be an unflattering portrayal of Facebook.

One of our character was seen browsing Facebook in our entry last year, and I'm pretty certain that's not a problem.

Dylan Reeve | Edit Geek
Fractured Radius | Auckland | Since 2003

2017 | Supernatural | Morgan's Time 2: Morgan's Fate
2015/2016 } I was doing other things...
2014 | Time Travel | Morgan's Time
2013 | Robot/Android/Cyborg | Incredibly Advanced Robotics
2012 | Fantasy Adventure | Tilting at Windmills
2011 | One Room (Quest) | The Office Quest
2010 | Musical/Dance | Professional Dancer
2009 | Musical/Dance | All's Fair
2008 | Drama | The End (Auckland Winner)
2007 | Crime | The Big Job
2006 | Action/Adventure | Three Heroes Against Terror (City Finalist)
2005 | Romance | Fruits of Passion
2004 | Action/Adventure | The Sceptre of MacGuffin (City Finalist)
2003 | Cop/Crime | Forensic Investigation Team

bryndalville
Since: May 2012

Thanks for the help guys, being my first time this year I'm pretty nervous... especially after reading the "10 days to go...and by now you should've..." forum post. But this advice has been very helpful! now I just need to concentrate on perfecting my workflow so I can actually enter something on time.

Thanks and see you at the finish line...

Bryn.