VF48Hours Lockdown Forum

Forum > Posts by CaptainHook

Posts by CaptainHook

CaptainHook
Since: May 2012

Film Making, a Basic DSLR Kit in 10 Easy Steps?

in reply to Nexus 6:

I've been beta testing the Pocket Cam, here's some footage i just posted:

CaptainHook

DSLR field monitor query

The 5D2 drops to 480p on output during record which i can tell you makes it even harder trying to pull focus run and gun etc. At least for me. I used my SmallHD DP6 on my 5D2 and when i got the 5D3 it actually made the monitor useful during record.

Rent a couple from the photography stores (they all have video DSLR kits now) and see if you actually like them and find them useful with the 5D2 is my suggestion before buying.

CaptainHook

What Would You Change in the 48 Hours Comp?

in reply to DylanReeve:

There's not really a way to pre-screen those people in any useful way.

No, wasn't trying to say that either. And by do well, i don't just mean "in the competition" but also in the sense they make good films consistently. I saw a couple of films i really liked that aren't in the auckland final (i'm interested to see if i still like them more than some that did make it!), and i still think those teams 'did well'. :)

CaptainHook

AUCKLAND CITY FINALISTS + AWARD NOMINEES 2013

in reply to :

Please get your team leader to email me and I will arrange to have the tickets at the desk on the night.

Is this the process for all teams in the final?

CaptainHook

in reply to themorgan:

Also, while it sometimes feels like the competition is completely dominated by just a handful of teams year after year, I've just checked and from what I can see in Auckland only two 2013 finalists were also 2012 finalists - Goodfellas and ADHDMi.

And Del Sur. And Voltron And The Holograms last year are "Egghouse" this year (well at least Jamaine that i know of, i missed Egghouse at heats), also in the final.

Lens Flare/thedownlowconcept/Mukpuddy didn't enter this year as they're too busy making TV Shows, but highly likely they would be in the Auckland final IMHO.

Good teams are generally consistent (a part of what makes them good) and will do well most years i think.

CaptainHook

Auckland finalist predictions

in reply to Jaimee Poipoi:

Its because they didn't enter, they're all off making TV shows. :D

Stoked to be in the Auckland Final! :)

CaptainHook

in reply to Taunise:

If anything the only thing I'd change is that the rules should all be listed on one SINGLE page in an easy to read manner.

YES. +1

CaptainHook

in reply to rookie:

I won the cinematography award last year and got a 5D3. I can't tell you how amazing that was and how much use that camera has gotten. I'm still very grateful.

Not every winner of that award will own or even shoot their entry on a Red/etc, and for me at the time it became the best camera i had.

CaptainHook

What DSLR camera shall I purchase?

Ps if anyone wants to see the 5D3 with the ML raw hack, i used it for a shot/scene alongside my BMCC in our 48 film this year (nightowls). You get the prize of being awesome if you can guess which shot. :p

CaptainHook

DQ'd/late entries here.

Gutted you missed out Joey, nice work! :)

CaptainHook

What DSLR camera shall I purchase?

in reply to videoamp1969:

The blackmagic pocket camera will be a GREAT little performer. I got to grade the first publicly released footage from it. You have to factor in you will want fast/wide glass though (sensor size), and that it's MFT mount so if you want to use EF lenses you'll want an adapter etc.

Don't skimp on lenses though. Bodies get replaced every few years, buy some glass you can use forever.

CaptainHook

Auckland finalist predictions

I really enjoyed the short by Jolly Shrimp Co. It was in a VERY strong heat and i voted for them as 1st in audience vote. I'd have to watch that heat again though as i'm not sure if i liked it so much because i hadn't heard of the team so had no expectations (and had high expectations for so many other teams in that heat), or if it was because it was another wacky/crazy film like ours. :)

Didn't seen nearly enough films to have any predictions though. Can't wait to see the Auckland final!

CaptainHook

When to screen

in reply to snapdragon:

"Don't screen your short prior to your heat. Not even to the cast and crew. Another unbreakable rule.
and..
Don't upload your short to any file sharing network or website such as youtube or vimeo until you are told to after the judging."

Under the "Rules - What you Must Not Do" section here:

http://www.48hours.co.nz/2013/register/?ss=rules

CaptainHook

Start writing script for 48HOURS...wait, how many actors do I have again?

I think the best approach is to ask actors to be on 'stand by' if they're needed and if they suit some roles that appear in the script on friday night. I try to express that we'd love to use them if we can. We had 3 actors pull out in the week leading up, but that's 48 and you roll with it.

CaptainHook

Can I come to your heats?

I've been to a few heats just to support teams i know or because i saw team names i recognise that i want to check out. Heat 11 i went to because it was so "stacked" with good teams and it was definitely the best heat i've been to - which is interesting since it's just alphabetical. :)