VF48Hours Forum

Forum > Posts by Menchi

Posts by Menchi

Menchi
Since: Jun 2011

Looking for Cast and Crew in Wellington?

Hey folks,

Our Wellington based team is looking for a few roles to fill. Most of the team consists of folk from our web series "Two Naked Gay Guys." - http://www.2ngg.com

We're looking to get more crew on to ensure we get the best 48 film we can possibly make. :)

A soundie. We have the equipment and just need someone who is a whizz at operating it.

A VFX person for titles and VFX if necessary. We have a green screen rig so some fun stuff to play with.

A lighting person would be great too. Again - we have the equipment but would like to have someone to be able to focus on it.

Make-up and practical FX person. Will need their own kit, but we are happy to donate money towards anything that gets used so you're not out of pocket. :)

More actresses! We have mostly male actors in our team and would really like to even out the gender representation. :)

Just email Conan and Minto at thewcproject@gmail.com if you're keen to join our team.

Conan

V48hours Film Challenge
2014 - Morgan's Match (Oldschool Cinema)
2013 - Seven Minutes to Curtain (Spontaneous Weekends)
2012 - Wake up Jeff (The Burlesquimos)
2011 - 6A (The Oh Ladies)
2008 - Temporal Affairs (Tuktuk Inferno)

Menchi

Looking for Cast and Crew in Wellington?

in reply to GPeoples:

Hi Glenn,

We're looking for a music guy for our team! Love your stuff! Email me at thewcproject@gmail.com. :)

Conan

V48hours Film Challenge

Menchi

Wellington Soundie Required

Hey due to a last minute paid gig coming up our team is now without a soundie. If there's anyone out there who is still looking to join up with a team - ideally someone with a boom we have a Zoom H4n - please get in touch with me at thewcproject@gmail.com by tomorrow! :)

Conan

V48hours Film Challenge

Menchi

April 48hours? Better or worse?

While I was a little surprised by the earlier start, our team was still able to pull together for the weekend. We had some frustrations with people having paid work conflicting with the weekend - but it still ran smoothly this year.

I appreciated the better weather conditions and I'd even be willing to accept a late March weekend instead. So ultimately I'm going to go with April being a suitable time.

V48hours Film Challenge

Menchi

Looking to join a group in Wellington

Hey Ryan,

If you're still looking for a team, drop me a line. :)

thewcproject@gmail.com

V48hours Film Challenge

Menchi

Wellington Team - Actors and Crew sought

After several years of helping out on other teams, this year I'm looking to run my own team. I have a camera (Sony NEX-VG10) some actors, a make-up artist, writer and director.

I'm primarily looking for someone with good-great camera operating skills (if you have your own camera that's a bonus) along with someone to help with producing duties and any other crew still looking for a team to sign on with.

And there's always room for a couple more actors!

Email me at thewcproject@gmail.com if you're still looking for a team to sign up with and we can have a chat!

Thanks!
Conan

V48hours Film Challenge

Menchi

Wellington Final discussion

in reply to nimlin:

I think one of the issues is that a lot of people tend to respond better to comedy at 48hours so a LOT of comedies get made. (We did it as well...) So it makes it tough to have a serious film in a heat or at the finals when the previous two films were comedies - the audience is warmed up and may laugh at a scene they normally wouldn't find that funny.

I guess the challenge is to set the stakes early in a drama so that people know that they are about to get into something harrowing.

I thought Sammy did this quite well. When the audience saw Bobby with a sack over his head, they laughed but then as soon as Bex started talking, they quietened up.

Conan

V48hours Film Challenge

Menchi

Here comes level 2: 72Hours!

If you want to do it - do it.

We've been doing it via a webseries for the last couple of months - and been perfecting it as we go. The latest episode was written, filmed and edited over a total of 9.5 hours! (Not something I recommend doing, by the way.)

But yeah - don't need to have a competition to increase the challenge.

Personally, I think 48 hours is a good amount of time to be able to produce something worthwhile, and is challenging enough for newbies while also being a challenge for more experienced film-makers as well.

I do agree though - having more than one competition a year would be pretty awesome. But I also know that organising something like that on a national scale takes a LOT of work and often requires a year just to get the sponsors and plan out everything.

V48hours Film Challenge

Menchi

in reply to buff:

I totally agree with that. As much as I liked Tea Jerker and Hot Knights - I did feel that Intervention was superior to either of them.

Conan

V48hours Film Challenge

Menchi

in reply to dramamike:

I have to disagree. I had no doubts when I saw Sketch that it was going to win. It was such an elegantly made film.

The look, the writing, the music and tone. It felt like a funded short film rather than a 48 hours film.

Intervention was excellent and hilarious, but it felt like a 48 hours type film.

Sketch felt like it would show up in short film festivals. Intervention... not so much. Which isn't to say Intervention was bad by any stretch - but I don't think it stood a chance against Sketch. Although I was a bit surprised it was beaten by Tea Jerker. I liked both films, but I did feel that Intervention was a bit more fun overall.

Conan

V48hours Film Challenge

Menchi

Wellington Awards 2011

in reply to tank_ass69:

Agreed - but I also work with Bex on a regular basis with our web series. She's an incredible actress, and I'm constantly impressed with how *different* she makes each of her roles look just through her performance alone. She certainly was the stand out performance.

Conan

V48hours Film Challenge

Menchi

Wellington Awards 2011

Totally deserved win for Couch Kumaras. I loved Sketch - it was just an incredibly polished film. I was even more impressed due to the relative youth of the team.

I also reckon it earned the best script - although it wasn't very wordy, the use of dialogue and imagery was economical and made every line count.

It was an excellent film on all counts. Congratulations.

V48hours Film Challenge

Menchi

in reply to jozzafunk:

I thought Intervention had an awesome script. I got the impression that Blanking wasn't so much scripted as structured with great improv dialogue for most of the film.

I definitely felt Sketch was the standout though. Beautiful composition, a great economic script that made every line count for something rather than just be filler and fantastic music. It really was the whole package for me.

Also enjoyed Tea Jerker just for being a lot of fun and well acted. :D

Most of the films were really great. I've already said which one I didn't care for. :) Overall, a great night and great films.

Conan

V48hours Film Challenge

Menchi

I was glad to see Fruit Punch get in - but I didn't really think that much of Fistfull of Crime at all. I'm just not the audience for it I guess.

I didn't care for the animation, and the humour wasn't particularly inspired. It was funny, but in a "screw 48 hours" kind of way rather than being anything particularly clever.

Out of that heat - which was our as well - I felt Lost and Found or Bobby Alone were much better films both technically and structure wise.

About the only thing that Fistfull of Crime had was that it was animated. The rest - I'm just not convinced it should have been in the finals. Sorry guys.

I'm just not a fan of that style of film, I guess.

Conan

V48hours Film Challenge

Menchi

I hate to say i told you so but..... and it gives me no pleasure

Escalator will still be on next year because the money for it was put aside before the scheme started. It has already been accounted for and any budget cut to the NZFC wont affect it.

V48hours Film Challenge