VF48Hours Lockdown Forum

Forum > Posts by stringbean

Posts by stringbean

stringbean
Since: May 2011

DQ'd/late entries here.

in reply to Joey:

Repeating what everyone else is saying here really, also must say, you're a great sport about it.

Your film is amazing, loved it. The best 48hr10sec film I have ever seen. Loved the opening, the camaraderie between the three guys was great, as was 'protective musical father' cute ending and well produced all round,

stringbean

Using VFX in 48hour Films

Awesome, thanks for letting me know!

stringbean

Using VFX in 48hour Films

Wondering with regards to VFX, I am wondering what can be set up before the weekend?

Say I have previously had spaceship/gun/splatter effects made for other projects, am I able to tweak these effects and re-use them in my 48 hour film? Is it is any different than sorting costumes/locations beforehand?

I guess I am just wanting to know the rules/guidelines around this.

stringbean

Script writer wanted in Hamilton

Hi Jody,

Don't want to sound rude or anything but just a heads-up that offering/accepting payment for any 48 hour cast/crew is against the rules, so just make sure that you are careful with offering that.

If you get desperate and are willing to have a writer in another city I know of some people who might be able to help?

stringbean

2012 GRAND FINALISTS & WILDCARDS

in reply to Cardinal:

Ahh, thank you. Didn't keep track of the comp last year so must have missed that, thanks for clearing it up! I guess having so many regions now means that they had to make some changes.

Awesome Wellington representatives, Brains? screened in our heat and as soon as we saw it we knew it was going to do well.

Loved Kids These Days as well, great wee film.

Would have loved to see Have You Met My Sister on this list, I thought it was an amazing film, and I loved how they used the one-shot to their advantage and worked with it so well.

But good luck Wellington finalists (and to all the others as well)!

stringbean

2012 GRAND FINALISTS & WILDCARDS

in reply to Frieda_nz:

I really enjoyed your film, Gin Joints, a brilliant mix of Goodfellas and In Bruges.

Just wondering if you know how you got into the finals? I always thought it was just the city winner and the wildcards? Did they change it this year?

stringbean

2012 compulsory elements and genres - thoughts?

in reply to Bevan33:

A tree isn't a prop, it's a part of a set. A prop is something that you intentionally put in a movie. Sky isn't a prop, grass isn't a prop...

I would consider a prop something a character interacts with. But that's just my opinion, I doubt anyone will get called out on it though.

stringbean

Wellington Heats Info

Hey Dan,
The city info for Wellington mentioned that tickets for the finals went on sale today, I am a keen bean and went and checked the Dash Tickets website and I couldn't find them on sale anywhere, do you know if there are any updates about this?

stringbean

2012 compulsory elements and genres - thoughts?

I think one-shot would actually be really cool, and think of all the time you'd save in post!

As for the elements, Nicky Brick was pretty cool, no complaints. We didn't do too name-wise with this, but had a character that couldn't catch a break so we think that tied into it.

Leaf, well this was interesting, we had trees in plenty of scenes, but that doesn't really clarify as a prop, so we ended up using leaves for a character to disguise in.

Slow-mo, I actually liked this, can go cheesy or not but I think we made it work.

I wish we had done something more creative with 'I did that' but we were tired haha and it's in there. My friend did this in England one year and their line was: "I am required to carry out this task until completion: your orders do not override anything." - so at least it wasn't that!

stringbean

Rules Question

I know what film you are talking about. I saw it too and was very surprised that nothing had been said.

We stick a piece of paper up in the editing room with all the elements and rules to make sure we don't miss anything.

I think that rules have to be rules, otherwise there can be never ending exceptions.