Craig
Since: May 2011

Next Years Competition

August 25-27
https://twitter.com/48HOURSNZ/status/869447889021542404

Craig

F:Rad Out

Well we get 7 mins back anyway, Fractured Radius have been cut from the heat now.
Shit my baaaaaaaaalls.

Craig

Guess we'll observe 7 minutes' silence.

Craig

Hmm, have they not updated the heat lists yet?
Or did the Fractured rego get recycled. You're still listed at time of typing...

Craig

just curious...

Ok, so 2015 is the year of the drone for sure, right?

Craig

Rule changes for 2015

... Are there any vs 2014? (I mean actual ones, not wishlist...)

Craig

The Best Dang Christchurch 48 Hours Films of All Timeā€¦

Not to Suck Up to the Man etc but I really liked "I am Single", from 2010. Edit: And "Hot Foos" from the same year. Must watch some more recent Southern shorts!

"Death in the West" (the 2010 winner) was all class but just the hint of genre dodging...

"Is Love Enough" from last year was classic. Can't wait to see the Eh Team's short this year.

Craig

just curious...

So, did anyone take to the air in the end? :-)

Craig

Frauleins, oh frauleins - I am ball.

in reply to Taunise:

Gutted you guys didn't get an original song nomination. I love this :D

+1. The other songs must be pretty good.

Craig

Cameras 2014

in reply to DylanReeve:

I think ultimately in a competition like this the camera, and certainly the codec, aren't that important. Decent operation is where it falls down far more often.

All too true. Hey I did say this was a gadget geek thread ;-)

p.s. why don't I read the instructions. Only just figured this out by accident, so just for anyone else that hasn't noticed:

Select text before hitting 'reply' to include the text as a quote.

Craig

What I learned this year

in reply to ScottKennedy:

I'd say the best way to edit with 2 computers would be to have one editor choosing the best takes, syncing audio to it and then exporting those 'Best' clips to the second editor who does the final 'fine' edit.

This is phrased a bit like theory, but if you or anyone else actually does this in Premiere for Windows land, what file format do you use for these intermediate renders?
I did a couple of clips to H.264 with the bitrate maxed up to 50 which seemed OK.

(btw - just noticed your credits, Scott, say Hi to the keen shopper from last year's musical for me ;-))

Craig

Fractured Radius 2014 -- Morgan's Time

As I mentioned on completely the wrong thread, I really enjoyed this film.

I think the main issue was that at the start the audience (including myself) was a bit unclear what sort of mood you were aiming for - i.e. whether it was intended to be a broad comedy or a sort of poignant and quirky thing, which it turned out to be, most effectively. So, viewed in isolation it works fine (I presume - at work and haven't rewatched it just now - which means I might be getting some of this wrong) but in the context of a Heat it's a bit trickier - the audience may go into the film expecting more balls on a wire...

How exactly you could signal the intended tone to the audience, well that's probably beyond my ability to figure out. In a Heat I think you can go full serious without ambiguity (but also, most likely, without reward), but your short is more difficult to position.
I wonder if a little actor-to-camera/voiceover "I will relate a curious tale" type intro might have helped set expectations?

Either that or the audience, as afficionados, just felt robbed when you missed the line.

Craig

Cameras 2014

in reply to themorgan:

Talking of balls (and hijacking my own thread) - wasn't a certain line of dialogue missing from the FR short this time? Or did I blink & miss it. FWIW I thought you guys (Dylan) were robbed in the audience favourite in Heat 6.

On borrowing stuff, I'm happy enough with my camera situation so as not to feel too jealous but wouldn't mind being able to borrow sound gear because renting it is a bit annoying...

Back to cameras, this thread is pretty inconclusive. I guess the gist of the small sample above is that the DSLR guys are getting on with it and if you're into more serious hardware chances are you might already be shooting on something more fully featured for video. Personally I guess before I get anything that shoots at a higher data rate I would probably need to get a new computer as well which I can't really be bothered with (afford/justify). So, Wait and See.

Craig

Auckland Audience Awards 2014

in reply to bexxgirl:

Looks like the current estimate of 18 days might be a bit conservative too...

Craig

Auckland Audience Awards 2014

in reply to steelpotato:

And, if all else fails, there's the large ticking clock on the front page :-)