VF48Hours 2020 Forum

Forum > Posts by JovialEntertainment

Posts by JovialEntertainment

JovialEntertainment
Since: Aug 2016

NEW RULES - IMPORTANT

in reply to AJ:

I suppose it could be open to interpretation. I've got plenty of scripts that have never been made into films. You could view them as nothing but an idea or a plan for a film. Before the footage rule changed I'd interpret that rule to mean writing should be included as part of creating the film within the 48 hours. That's how I've always done it. But if your footage doesn't need to be considered part of creating your film then I'd interpret that rule to mean everything before shooting footage isn't included as part of creating your film either.

JovialEntertainment

NEW RULES - IMPORTANT

in reply to AJ:

That was for an American 48Hour competition so the rules may have been slightly different, but I don't see anything in our rules against writing scripts early either.

The only rule of "The ‘film’ must be created between 7 pm Friday, August 25th and 7 pm Sunday, August 27th - the shoot weekend." would apply to the edit I suppose, as that is where the footage is created into a film. I would have included the shoot in creating the film too but clearly from everything else said the footage doesn't have to be part of the 48 hours anymore.

JovialEntertainment

NEW RULES - IMPORTANT

That's true it would be very hard to use most of a film. I think it would come down to getting lucky, and how many films that team has done in the past to give them all of these options.

While teams could have used old footage in the past I think knowing they'd break the rules is enough to deter a lot of them from doing it. I have seen a team with pre-written scripts begin filming immediately on the Friday night when their genre matched a script they had, and now that the rules allow footage to be used too I wouldn't be surprised if teams go out and film a lot of options before the competition. There's not a lot of time to prepare this year but next year could see more of this if the rule stays.

JovialEntertainment

NEW RULES - IMPORTANT

It's not just old 48 Hour films that could be abused. There are teams who shoot a lot of things all year round outside of 48 Hours and will have the footage from everything they've done. I've got a couple of short films that haven't been released yet where if I get lucky with the genre all I'd have to do is re-shoot one scene to add in the required elements and could submit a film that took 5 days to shoot and had a couple of weeks in post. I know at least one of them would fit within the 5 minute limit.