VF48Hours Lockdown Forum

Forum > Posts by elfwaite

Posts by elfwaite

elfwaite
Since: Mar 2015

Basic Mic for under $100?

Also, if I was to plug the Zoom H1 into my DSLR, what cord would be best?

Director/Editor for Imaginary Friends Productions, Dunedin

2015 - Important Business (The Buddy Movie)

elfwaite

I've attempted to filter out the hiss caused but the final sound tends to end up quite tinny and muted and the hiss tends to still be audible when people are speaking - then again, I was just using audacity... is there a particular application you would recommend for this?
In terms of the possibility of getting a mic or some kind, I did a bit more research into the Zoom H1 and found that it can be used as both a preamp and a mic. Working around my budget, I would use it simply as the mic, plugged into my Canon 600D (I did a bot more research on this too, and it tends to lead to some pretty good results).
Also, I checked out MagicLantern which sounds great, but I am worried about the possibility (however unlikely) that I would brick my camera...
Thank you so much for your help, I really appreciate it.

elfwaite

Hello all!
This will be my first year competing in the 48 Hour Film 'extravaganza' and I was wondering if anyone has any advice for me regarding microphones. My budget is minimal ($120 or so) and I am looking for a mic that I can use for this competition but also other __small__l projects that I am planning. So far, the two most promising choices I have looked at are the Zoom H1 (as both a boom and, lav mic transmitter) which looks pretty good or the iTalk app with a couple of iPhone lav mics (the downside of this is that we will only have two iPhones between a group of 4/5 actors) - essentially anything better than the hiss you get with the Canon 600D.
Which do you think would be more worthwhile for me to get? Any other suggestions?
Thanks,
Ellen