VF48Hours Lockdown Forum

Forum > Posts by korohthegeek

Posts by korohthegeek

korohthegeek
Since: Mar 2014

Disqualification

Agreed. If actually identified as a breach, then has to go. Only whilst editing, I picked up background music in our short that I didn't notice during the shoot. (And we couldn't reshoot). The music was obvious. I knew it would be a copyright issue and so laid on the music soundtrack loud for a few seconds until the actors voice came in, then edited that louder (than it needed to be). So even if an honest mistake, it maybe should have even been picked up in edit.

korohthegeek

Reviews are live

I've been pondering whether to and where to make this comment. I sense there's some very experienced and at least semi professional teams out there. I've been a long time fan of the 48hr comp & watched many of the shorts over the years but never competed.
This is only our 2nd year as a self contained team. And we are very amateur, with lots of spirit. (we only had 3 people this year with very limited equipment ). I appreciate all the comments I have recieved in the forums and even the review of our short. I honestly take on board the points made. I guess i just want to make the point how amateur we actually are and still learning.
Happy to compete against you guys, so please don't get me wrong. Of course, we'll take it all on board and crack on next year. See you there.

korohthegeek

Failure rate?

in reply to Meatloaf:

You're right. I've done some homework and I'm not on this old system next year. I won't tell you what we're using but just think black & white analogue TV compared to digital flat screen.

The edit program is actually quite good, its just the system we're running on. But man we were so rapped at 1hr 40min render and still got in ahead of time. Saw our heat tonight, and we feared pretty well compared to some good quality stuff out there.

Anyway looking forward to next year already... We'll be gunning for a lower render time for sure. Cheers

korohthegeek

What I learned this year

Don't rely on public to be so helpful. Even with all the obvious gear we had and characters set up, we started to think we were cursed by Public.
eg. Found a perfect run down building that suited our shot. Could have easily jumped the <1m wire fence, in fact could have filmed over and through the fence while the actors sat on the stairs. Thought the proper thing would be to ask the house around the corner, which did in fact own the property we wanted to use. But it's not that obvious. In any case would need the release forms signed.
All I can say is they were absolute a.. holes. Suddenly having to go out in 5 minutes apparently.
Learnt lots of other cool stuff this year though that outweighed that and made our work flow quite smooth

korohthegeek

Failure rate?

I basically cleared all the crap off my laptop this year. Still using Corel XPS 5. Last year took 5hrs to render. I couldn't believe this year took 1hr 40min. And I spent the previous week cutting old footage and soundtracks and whatever I could to make it over busy for 7 min. Then rendered those to make sure I wasn't dreaming.. or messed something up. I could have played with our final product a bit more re lighting etc. But I was too nervous about something going wrong on the laptop, and rendered the footage as is. Still learning.
PS I'm sure the guy at the end of the Auckland hand in was a set up.

korohthegeek

April 48hours? Better or worse?

April - Better
Can never guarantee but weather was better. Offered more options for outdoor / indoor. Doesn't have to be the daylight savings weekend.
Prepared?... Once again, grabbed my daughters camera (better than mine), my friends microphone, I don't have one. And borrowed works tripods and lights. I contributed a clap board this year. Wooden spoons just didn't cut it last year.

korohthegeek

Burning the midnight oil

I need more V.. I mean I now need a P... I mean, wait, what?... Sleep, that's it, I need sleep bad, but waiting to go to hand in. Half hour total sleep so far. Hope I don't miss the 9 O,Clock hand in

korohthegeek

Big Bang & Fuzz - Login

I feel like such a dork!
Got it sussed. Thanks guys. Thanks James at bigbangfuzz for the fast reply and set up. Awesome

korohthegeek

Big Bang & Fuzz - Login

Help
So what have I missed. I fill in the register details and can't go any further. i.e how do I submit those details so I can download tracks. Or do I email them requesting access for the one off project? As you say, will anyone recieve and reply to the email over this weekend?

korohthegeek

Final Render

will do, thanks. My render does play it just seems to skip a bit of the soundtrack in quicktime but is absolutely smooth and fine in med
ia player. But ill give handbrake a go

korohthegeek

Final Render

Thanks
Thats kind of what I was thinking. I was interested to see if others had the same experience / issue

korohthegeek

Final Render

Does the final render have to play on quicktime?
I can render onto quick time MPEG-4 and I can render onto windows media player MPEG.
I understand the output requirements etc and both renders seem to have the correct output requirements.
I'm using Corel Video Studio Pro X5 editing software

This is my 3rd year

Any thoughts