Since: Jun 2013

2019 posters

missed the boat on the poster comp but here we go anyway.. 2 designs

Ham East Bad Boys // Kirikiriroa 2016-
DAMN HELL ASS KINGS // Pōneke 2012-2015

steppenwolf

2019 Thoughts

It's a shame to get rid of the star ratings. They're helpful in the sense that you can see what people think of the film at a glance. I really like the 7 star rating system and have been using it in a way pretty close to steelpotato's breakdown a few posts up. While written reviews are definitely more valuable than a number out of 7, removing the ability to rate films isn't going to mean that the trademe-style reviews ("great film A+++++++") are going to disappear.

steppenwolf

Heats in smaller cities

So the only films that will be screened publicly in Taranaki are those that make the final? that's a shame if I'm reading that right - the heats are a great (for many the only) opportunity to see their work on the big screen, which i reckon is a pretty big part of the comp. it also means fewer reviews, not as many opportunities to foster a sense of community etc. etc.

steppenwolf

Review Site

review site's lookin' slick.

couldn't enter the competition myself this year so I'll review all the Hamilton films, rather than all the Hamilton films bar one.
(cos someone has to, eh?)

steppenwolf

Hamilton discussions

Thanks Alex- it's the inconsistency of it that's bugging me this time. I never expect anything from the comp except exhaustion on the weekend and memories of a good time in retrospect. It's always one of the highlights of the year.

And unfortunately I'm in Paihia (that's not unfortunate at all) so I won't be able to make the drinks, Jay. Have a good night everyone - good luck to all the finalists!

Edit: weebey- it won't be on the screening room for a while cos I won't be back in Hamilton for a few weeks and the only copy's on my computer!

steppenwolf

Hamilton discussions

Going to take this last opportunity before the final for a whinge:
Whitiora Bad Boys are nominated for best direction, cinematography, script, score, original song & make-up but aren't in the top 10. It rubs me the wrong way that our effort is considered to be amongst the best in these "big" categories but the film as a whole doesn't make the cut. I'm gutted because ultimately the biggest reward is getting the film seen by people, and while a few dozen will undoubtedly check it out in the screening room, it's nothing compared to having a cinema audience see it alongside a variety of other shorts made by our neighbours.

steppenwolf

Ultra teams: What did you think?

in reply to Steve Austin:

I'm looking forward to the year musical gets excluded from the genres and Ultra is "REMAKE a previous 48Hours short you've made, as a musical"... wait, no, I'm not looking forward to that at all...

Hahaha, fantastic. Seeing as the organisers mined the forums for ideas this year, let's hope they pick this one up in the future.

steppenwolf

How did you get your team name?

There's a zine in the Hamilton library by a kid at Peachgrove Intermediate about his gang that turn up to school in a Bugatti supercharger, nuke school, get put in prison and then break out just to do it again. It's called Peachgrove Bad Boys - we can only hope to be half as badass as they are.
And DAMN HELL ASS KINGS is a Simpsons reference (from the one where the school model UN club gets stuck on a desert island and Homer starts an internet company)

steppenwolf

NEW RULES - IMPORTANT

No good.
If "shoot weekend" was renamed to "stitch-together-stuff-you've-been-collecting-all-your-life weekend" it would be somewhat more accurate.
While most teams will operate as they always have it opens the door for some grubby behaviour.

steppenwolf

Best Worst Films of All Time

youralreadyinjail.co.nz
absolutely pitch-perfect, like you're watching something uploaded to worldstarhiphop. RIP Bosworth.

steppenwolf

Character, trait etc suggestions for this year

in reply to Kawiti Naitoro:

some good ones in here.. for myself I'll submit Western - would love to see 48hours' take on that

steppenwolf

What are your pet peeves in 48 Hours?

in reply to Sam Page:

This definitely gets my goat too - and not just when they're "playing it safe".
There's a particular aesthetic - and it's not restricted to professional teams - that turns me right off. Now, there's nothing really to fault: it's a clean image with crisp sound, good make up, serviceable acting and incredible special effects... but totally plastic. Films like this will tend to rise to the top, which you can't really fault since they are well-produced.. but I'm not here for objectively good films; I'm here for that je ne sais quoi, the 3am meltdowns, the 12 year olds behind a camera for the first time and the 6.55pm dangerous driving... give me soul!

but yeah cranes and drone shots... jelly

edit: there's been a few people reply in the time it took me to compose this. I read Timpson's facebook post encouraging more "out there" films with some scepticism... while some competitors might be encouraged to take more risks, unless there's been some edict delivered to every regional judge I don't see how the make-up of the finalists will be any different

steppenwolf

What is your gear setup this year?

In a display of pig-headed contrariness Whitiora Bad Boys' camera is getting a big downgrade this year. We found a Sony DCR SX44E handicam and have been having so much fun mucking around with it that it may have usurped the trusty Sony DSR-PD150 DVCAM as our weapon of choice.
It's got a built-in stereo microphone that doesn't seem too bad (beats the old mono external mic we've got) and has a sweet 60x optical zoom. I was a little apprehensive about shooting in HD but thankfully the output resolution is so small it renders that moot.
The biggest downsides here are that it doesn't shoot in 4:3 and lacks a manual focus. But when we're zooming in 60x everything'll be a blur anyway.

steppenwolf

What are your pet peeves in 48 Hours?

I can't help but groan every time I see a can of V as a prop..... I am also guilty of this.