VF48Hours Lockdown Forum

Forum > Posts by R17

Posts by R17

R17
Since: May 2013

2019 Thoughts

One of the biggest things I noticed being a duo team for the first time was the lack of a "set mum". We ate a lot of fishfinger sandwiches and chicken nuggets and the kitchen was a bombsite by the end of the weekend 🤣

In bigger teams I have been part of there is usually at least one person who naturally takes on the role of keeping everyone fed and the kitchen at least somewhat hygienic for the weekend. Not an actual mum or a designated role but someone just not directly involved with whatever was going on at the time. No kids or students in our teams either.

R17

2019 Thoughts

Whoops - posted that in the wrong place! Silly little phone screen! Anyway.. feedback...

Launch - the Wellington launch had great atmosphere but unfortunately the shape of the venue makes it very difficult to see the screen or hear the audio unless you had a choice spot.

I liked the elements this year. They were quite devious and actually took a bit of effort to include rather than being able to add them in at the end in a panic. Wind seemed like a simple thing to include but I think in reality it's tricky - especially on an unusually calm Wellington day... We couldn't even get our kite to fly!!! Same with overhead shot.

Genres - I like the mix of new genres and the classics... Rom-com and musical just aren't going to go away are they? I am super glad that I am not having to judge all the cringe comedies though!

The ultra elements seemed fun this year - interesting but do-able. It has inspired us to maybe have a go next year!

R17

2019 Thoughts

Atomic Monkeys had heaps of fun. We saw our film at the heats tonight for the first time since 18:21pm on Sunday before hand in. We got some giggles from the audience so that is a win for us! It's the first time we have worked together as a husband/wife duo and we will definitely do that again.

We ended up doing live action animation (for the first time ever) and it was difficult. We thought we were being smart and getting the best of both worlds by not having to deal with actors and not having to animate backgrounds but it is surprisingly difficult to get a stick figure animation to interact with live action convincingly. It's also a lot more work as you have to animate AND film/edit... Doh!

Premier Pro crashed 4 times before 8pm on Friday night so pretty much everything was done in After Effects. I learned how to use about a squillion things that I've never used before... Motion tracking, stabilisation, chroma keying, 3D transformations etc... dynamic link was a crash-fest for some reason.

If we do the same again next year we will have to get two better devices and investigate some sort of cloud system to work on the project together rather than transferring things around with USB. I would also acquire a PC that is powerful enough to run something like Character Animator - I have a feeling that it would make life way easier than moving puppets frame by frame in After Effects... Walk cycles *shudder*.

R17

Solo teams past and present (and duos if you see this)

We are doing duo for the first time this year. Just me and my husband. We are also going to have a go at animation - eek!

It already feels quite liberating not having to organise a whole team!

R17

2015 Here We Come

Wooohooo! I was just thinking about this last night and how I might run our team differently this year... Loving the early heads up!

R17

Here's our non-finalist film!

and here is ours :D

http://www.48hours.co.nz/screening-room/2014/wellington/torpedo/
http://reviews.48hours.co.nz/read/2014/wellington/13/r17-production-house

R17

Win $10,000 cash for making a 30 second Ad!

in reply to IronFilms:

By entering, you, the Entrant, acknowledge and agree that if your Ad is accepted, Budgie Power own all the copyright and other intellectual property rights in the ad.

Oh joy, where can I sign up!

Is that not the same as the conditions of 48hours? I am sure I clicked "agree" on something along those lines...

R17

Happy Birthday Copyright

Interesting question...

doesn't the winner get nominated for international film festivals though?

Best to go by international copyright law... in any case if Disney have their little mitts on it, you have NO chance - whatever the law is... Warner is probably the same... You can also pay to have copyright extended I believe... likely well worth it for such a well known tune so I would be surprised if this hasn't happened...

R17

Best Female Director

Do you have to be in an all-female team to be in the running for Best Female Director?

If not, does someone go through all the teams directors to find out which ones were female and which ones weren't? How do they tell if they are called something like Vic (me) or Morgan or Nicky etc... lol!

Not that I would be in the running or anything but it might be cool to try for next year... or the year after... or... or... :p

R17

Wellington Finals Predictions??

WICKED! Look forward to it :D Thank you for watching and reviewing so many heats... its a big thing to do and much appreciated... I STILL have to review the only other heat I saw besides mine... Think I will make time to do it tonight :D

R17

Wellington Finals Predictions??

Did you go to heat 13? I am interested to hear what you thought of heat 13 overall (and, selfishly, also of our film LOL!)... I would have like to go to more heats but life got in the way :(

R17

I keep thinking about this years character

in reply to bexxgirl:

Gotta say, I'm pretty disappointed in our heat - I deliberately reviewed every film in our heat EXCEPT ours for that very reason, and only one other person in the heat did reviews (for only 5 of the films).

Stink year for reviews.

Same here :( I think there were possibly 3 or 4 school teams in our heat which might explain it... I have noticed the school teams don't really seem to do the review thing...

R17

Clunkiest compulsory line ever?

in reply to Brendon Udy:

The best use of line I can remember was the "it doesn't fit" year, when the team had a robot that was shaking. One person said, "it's having a fit!", and the other person replied, "it doesn't fit."

That is awesome! :D

R17

Disqualification

Using copyright music without permission (assuming it was without permission and was actually the piece of music in question) is not only against the rules, it is against international LAW. I think it may be one of the more important rules...

If the organisers of the comp get sued for copyright infringement - it could be bye-bye 48hours... none of us want that...

R17

Reviews are live

in reply to Newsboy:

If you make films between events then you're one step ahead than we ever have been!

no we don't... this will be the first time... If it actually happens... So far it sounds like it is going to be a drinking session with a magic 8 ball and a green screen :p