VF48Hours 2020 Forum

Budgie
Since: Apr 2014

Feed for this Topic

Win $10,000 cash for making a 30 second Ad!

Just wanted to let you know about the Budgie Ad Comp 2014. I am sure that you had a great time on the 48, so now get your team together and make a 30 second ad for Budgie Power and win $10,000 cash!

Details can be found here at www.budgieadcomp.co.nz

Entries are now open, and given the winner is based on likes, the sooner you enter the more time you have to promote your ad

Best of Luck

Budgie!

Yossarian
Since: May 2011

https://www.google.co.nz/search?q=typical+budget+for+a+30+second+commercial&oq=typical+budget+for+a+30+second+commercial&aqs=chrome..69i57.1494j0j9&sourceid=chrome&espv=210&es_sm=91&ie=UTF-8

I make music to go with pictures, and music to just be by itself. You can email me if you would like:
thebemshaswing@gmail.com

HereForTheBeer
Since: Jul 2011

Cool idea. Although $10k is potentially quite a cheap ad ;)

2017 - Either Way
2016 - The Game
2015 - Blurred Lines - (Best acting nominee)
2014 - Rosco - (City Finalist, audience fave, etc)
2013 - Sleep My Pretty (Best Editing nominee)
2012 - Postage & Handling (Sexiest Looking Short nominee)
2011 - Admire The Wire
2010 - Queen's Gambit (Best Team Intro nominee)
2009 - Third Time Lucky
2008 - Immaculate Deceptions

Yossarian

Holy crap, I just read the fine print:

The Ad that attracts the most attention (as measured by likes on Budgies YouTube page and customers who signup with Budgie Power and put your team name in the notes)

You are horrible people and I hope you all get a thousand paper cuts.

I make music to go with pictures, and music to just be by itself. You can email me if you would like:
thebemshaswing@gmail.com

Budgie

in reply to Yossarian:

Hi Yossarian,

A thousand paper cuts would be quite painful.

We suspect that 90% of the points will be related to likes (although its kind of hard to tell given we have not done it before). Remember that the point of ads is to get people to sign up...It is a measure of how effective the ad is rather than how many friends you have I guess...

There is also $1000 cash prize for Budgies favourite so that we reward quality.

In any case, if you don't like it then don't enter. If you do then do :)

Have a wonderful Easter!

Budgie

Yossarian

The issue is with the fact that you're expecting a whole lot of people to be your marketing department for free, and only paying one group, at far below market rate. Would you do your job for free? Will you give me electricity in exchange for exposure for your business?

The issue isn't with whether the competition is to do with quality vs quantity of friends, it's to do with the fact that it's not a competition at all, rather a horribly exploitative business practice.

Your glib remark at the end is missing the mark by a mile. Have some business ethics and pay someone a fair amount for a job done.

thebemshaswing@gmail.com

boogerlab
Since: Apr 2011

There is something gross about this competition.

Budgie

in reply to Yossarian:

Hi Again,

I should also point out we are not asking people to make ads for TV etc. They are just for fun online. You could make one in 10 minutes on your iPhone...I suspect that is what a lot of people will do. Assuming a lot enter? We have no idea how many will!

We have engaged universities on this, and some are using it as a learning tool - Budgie just thought that the 48 people might also think its fun. Remember there is no entry fees and a good shot at good prises (1st , 2nd, 3rd and Budgies favourite)

We certainly did not want to exploit anyone I assure you!

Thanks for your feedback Yossarian, it is something to consider carefully if we do something like this again

Regards

Budgie

Yossarian

Right, and being that you don't actually generate electricity you can do everything you need to invoice me in ten minutes, and if you don't charge me you don't even have to invoice me! So, can I have free electricity?

Just for youtube is a laugh, since that has a much bigger audience than terrestrial tv.

Since a large amount of 48 hours teams contain professionals who make their living from the production of ads etc I think you'll find that we don't think it's fun - it's exploitative and undermines our right to actually earn a living wage.

Oh, and thanks for being so generous as to not charge an entry fee to the people gullible enough to be your marketing, advertising and apparently sales team for free.

thebemshaswing@gmail.com

c0ina

in reply to Yossarian:

Oh, and thanks for being so generous as to not charge an entry fee to the people gullible enough to be your marketing, advertising and apparently sales team for free.

^_^

Andrew Todd

Remember that the point of ads is to get people to sign up...It is a measure of how effective the ad is rather than how many friends you have I guess...

I should also point out we are not asking people to make ads for TV etc. They are just for fun online.

So "just for fun" but you're wanting to get advertising traction out of the entries (all the entries, whose brief is specifically to create ads) all the same.

GHOST SHARK 2: URBAN JAWS available for download or stream
Senior Contributor at Birth.Movies.Death

2019 - "Розкол (Schism)" - Science Fiction (National finalist, Chch 3rd place + Best Cinematography)
2018 - "Утка (Utka)" - Wish (National finalist, Chch winner + Best Script + Best Animation, official selection Kiev International Short Film Festival)
2011-2017 - Christchurch 48HOURS City Manager
2010 - "I Am Single" - Rom-Com (Chch finalist + Best Art Direction)
2009 - "New Fish" - Musical (National runner-up + Best Score, Chch winner)
2008 - "Übermensch" - Horror (Chch finalist)
2007 - "Pain Killer: The Sick Sense" - Superhero (Chch finalist)
ALSO - "As Of Yet Unfinished" (2012, unofficial); "The Contender" (2010, finals intro)

weasel

There has been a pretentious response to this competition. Basically:

- anybody is free to choose whether they enter, entry is FREE
- terms and conditions are clear and transparent
- the video with the most likes and referenced signups is the winner

Obviously a number of teams are professional teams who have a choice whether to enter and if they complement their access to tech. with an entertaining advertisement then they have a better chance of winning. How is this competition different to any other competition in which user submitted content is used in an after market promotion?

And teams that take up the option to participate are being exploited?

Go add some tears to your free range eggs

Yossarian

^ Someone who has never earned their rent through a creative endeavour.

What do you do for a living? If you were an accountant would you be happy if a whole bunch of businesses started having "best accountant contests" where they expected a whole bunch of accountants to work for free where the best one gets paid way below industry standard?

Why is it ok because it's film production, or music, or design?

Expecting to be paid for work is not pretentious, it's literally the definition of "the working man", pretty much the anti pretension.

They won't give me free power, how is that any different? Should I term it in the form of a competition? "hey powerco's each one of you give me free power for a month and the one who does the best job will get their bill paid"?

thebemshaswing@gmail.com

EdAish

If people want to enter this it is up to them - I produce TV Ads for a living and the production cost is the smallest part of it, if this works for them the are cutting out the biggest cost of all which is broadcasting - to get good coverage even paid advertising on youtube would cost them a bomb. A company of their size would spend between $100k & $500k absolute minimum to broadcast campaign like this so if the public get behind it and promote the ads the small amount they are giving away sure makes good business sense for them - would like the concept more if the ads were judged, the winner picked then they paid to have the ad broadcast / promoted etc rather than expecting the public to do everything for them... a little less exploitive - but hey no one is making anyone take part so really good on them for thinking out side the square I guess. I have run similar campaigns for national companies but have just been a little more subtle about it :)

Rubber Soul Productions in conjunction with Pro-Vision Video & Advertising

2011 - Well Strung (Musical) - Audience Favourite | Regional Winner | Grand Finalist | Best Actor | Best Original Music
2012 - There for You (Musical) - Regional Finalist
2013 - Partners in Crime (Horror) - Regional Winner + Best Image & Sound | Best Original Song | Best Actor | Best Director
2014 - A Boaring End (Film Within A Film) - Regional RunnerUp + Best Cinematography | Best Actor | Best Original Song | Audience Favourite

weasel

Yossi,

I work on a factory line making toothpicks, I sharpen the tips individually. Years ago my chinese factory owner offered a prize to design and engineering students to build a machine that automated this part of the process. The winning submission crafted those toothpick machines so damn fine you could scratch dust from the pores in your skin.

Thats why im working there still

Yossarian

Cool

thebemshaswing@gmail.com

weasel

If you take the first letter from each word it makes a sentence

Dawkward
Since: May 2013

I think it sounds like a cool idea for people who want exposure (and money) for themselves. I don't understand the insistent negativity going on. Gives amateurs the opportunity to get some more practice making films (and maybe winning some money for new gear)!! And they are pretty down to earth, much more than other companies (I know it's PR, but it's good PR imo)

Go Budgie! This is better than 99% of the publicity stunts that power companies spew out.

2016: Suede Mystery - Actor, Composer, Writer
2015: Loyal Buddy Film Wellington City Winner, National Runner-Runner Up, National Best Actor/Editor - Actor, Composer, Writer
2014: adz4u Film within a Film - Actor, Composer, Writer
2013: Bags Horror Wellington City Finals - Actor, Composer, Writer
2012: Sticks and Stones Fantasy Adventure (Late) - Actor, Composer, Writer
2011: Sketch Road Film Wellington City Winner, National Finalist, National Best Cinematography/Score - Composer, Writer
2010: Loosely Attached Twin Movie - Actor, Audio Technical

clang

Ditto. Making a fun ad and maybe winning a prize sounds a lot better odds than er... cough-48Hrs-cough.

If I can think of an idea, I'll be doing it.

EdAish

You don't even need to make a good ad if you have a good social network and can get people to vote you can win with 30 seconds of colour bars.

Rubber Soul Productions in conjunction with Pro-Vision Video & Advertising

2011 - Well Strung (Musical) - Audience Favourite | Regional Winner | Grand Finalist | Best Actor | Best Original Music
2012 - There for You (Musical) - Regional Finalist
2013 - Partners in Crime (Horror) - Regional Winner + Best Image & Sound | Best Original Song | Best Actor | Best Director
2014 - A Boaring End (Film Within A Film) - Regional RunnerUp + Best Cinematography | Best Actor | Best Original Song | Audience Favourite

Sam Spooner
Since: May 2012

I agree with Yossarian on this, its pure exploitation, but worse than that it is also incredibly naive.

Facebook "like" competitions can easily be rigged, either by the entrant or a malicious outsider. For example in the case of the Make My Horror Movie comp the leaders for likes for the first part of the comp had clearly cheated by buying votes, the pitches were terrible. Or the time 4chan sent Pitbull to Alaska, a group of people decide it would be funny to vote for something because it is ridiculous and because there are so many of them the vote goes through.

So yeah while this may be cool for an amateur, it will likely be won by an amateur who is unscrupulous or so bad people want to ruin the comp by voting for them.

TBH, it looks like Budgie have spent a bit on their graphic design, why not take some control of the brand and use that grumpy looking bird for the adverts instead of handing brand identity to a bunch of randoms who don't have any existing connection to the brand?

TOMORROW TODAY
2017 - ADAD2: The Wizarding - Crime Ultra
Two Big Tools
2016 - Mind Camp - Dystopian Film 3rd Audience Favorite, Winner of The Incredibly Strange Award(Auckland), nominated for Best Original Song(Auckland), nominated for The Incredibly Strange Award(National)
2015 - A Dame A Dozen - Mystery Film(but really all of the genres) 2nd Audience Favorite
2014 - 20q - Mystery Film 3rd Audience Favorite
2013 - NZSS - Converging Storylines Film 3rd Audience Favorite
2012 - The Brick - Superhero Film Audience Favorite First Equal