VF48Hours 2020 Forum

Scott Doar
Since: Sep 2016

Feed for this Topic

Whats up with heat 10?

There are some suspicious goings on in the review site with heat 10. Couldn't help but notice that there is one film which has 13 reviews, 10 of which have 7 star ratings and don't say a whole lot. then every other film in the heat only has one review per film....its almost as if its been rigged?? which has also put the well reviewed team in the #1 position in the Auckland heats....so on that note id like to give a shout out to the reviewer aaannarose for reviewing most of the films in heat ten and giving genuine feedback. getting good constructive feed back is an essential part of helping teams grow from year to year and overall helps make the competition a great thing to be part of!

2018 Jovial Entertainment: "Daddys Little Angel"
2017 Jovial Entertainment: "Pizza Money"(Grand Finalist)(Winner best editing) (audience favorite) Auckland
2016 Jovial Entertainment: "Munchies" (audience favorite) Auckland
2015 Jovial Entertainment: "Perp" Auckland
2014 Stampede Tiddlywinks "Date Time" Auckland
2012 Stampede Tiddlywinks: "Poolside story" Auckland
2011 Team Bella: "Wire" (best art direction and some other stuff) Hamilton
2010 ...uuummm i entered but i have no idea ,my life in hamilton was a blur ...Hamilton
2009 Go gecko: ....pass Hamilton

DogsBreakfast
Since: Apr 2011

This sort of thing happens from time to time because people think it will influence the judges, which it doesn't.

2019 "The Drop" - Secret Identity - ULTRA SOLOish
2018 "Furry" - The Wish Movie - ULTRA DUO - Heat 3 runner up Audience Favourite
2017 "The Grove 2: Survival with a vengeance" - Survival ULTRA
2016 "A Baaaaad Habit" - Bro Movie
2015 "Barry's World" - Other Dimension - Best Animation Auckland region
2014 "Brick Impact" - Race Against the Clock - Auckland Finalist - Heat 5 runner up Audience Favourite
2013 "Frankie goes to Horrorwood" - Horror - Heat 6 - runner up Audience Favourite
2012 "Brick's Quest" - Fantasy Adventure - Heat 8 - Audience Favourite
2011 "Playin the Game" - Mystery
2010 " Syd's Garage - a study in Autoeroticism" - Musical - Heat 4 - Audience Favourite
2009 "Doggone" - Family Movie (was a doggone waste of time)
2008 "Sounds of Romance" - Romance
2007 "The Grove" - Crime - Auckland finalist, best script award

Sam Spooner
Since: May 2012

Anna directed SPACE PSUSY, which is why that film has no reviews. I'm gutted because I planned on going to that heat, if I had I would have given honest reviews to all the films. But yeah this happens, in my heat there have been heaps of reviews but most come from my team so my film has f all reviews where as some films have 7 because friends of the film makers reviewed just the one film.

It's all voluntary though so I don't expect this sort of thing to change any time soon. Fingers crossed when the films all get released more reviews will pop up.

TOMORROW TODAY
2017 - ADAD2: The Wizarding - Crime Ultra
Two Big Tools
2016 - Mind Camp - Dystopian Film 3rd Audience Favorite, Winner of The Incredibly Strange Award(Auckland), nominated for Best Original Song(Auckland), nominated for The Incredibly Strange Award(National)
2015 - A Dame A Dozen - Mystery Film(but really all of the genres) 2nd Audience Favorite
2014 - 20q - Mystery Film 3rd Audience Favorite
2013 - NZSS - Converging Storylines Film 3rd Audience Favorite
2012 - The Brick - Superhero Film Audience Favorite First Equal

Scott Doar

Yea i just feel for the other teams in the heat. like why go to the trouble of making an account just to review your own film??? just a bit of a bit of a pain.

2017 Jovial Entertainment: "Pizza Money"(Grand Finalist)(Winner best editing) (audience favorite) Auckland
2010 ...uuummm i entered but i have no idea ,my life in hamilton was a blur ...Hamilton

CraigWB

One team in Heat 12 was annoyed that they were accused of sexism so they've got 2 perfect reviews up for the sole purpose of responding to the critics.

Team Spielberg craigbickerstaff@me.com +64212166821
The longest running non-finalist in the competition.
2019 Burgled on High : Musical ULTRA
2018 The How, The What, The Who and The Why : The Heist Movie ULTRA
2017 Operator Part II Twin Souls : Thriller/Horror One Room ULTRA
2016 The Real Time Movie : What kind of day has it been
2015 Other Dimension Movie : Rift
2014 Race Against the Clock : EIGHT POINT FIVE
2013 Musical : Wolfgang
2012 Horror : The Unrested Soul
2011 One Room (Horror) : Operator -- Audience favourite
2010 Twin Movie : Secrets in Dowsing
2009 M Night Big Twist Film : The Unfinished
2008 Drama : Breakfast at Four
2007 War : Purple Heart
Sakura Productions
2006 Musical : Sardines
2005 Mockumentary : Smuggling for Dummies DQ'ed

themorgan

We kind of had the opposite in heat 5. A couple of teams rolled super heavy so they took out the audience faves (which sucks, but what can you do) but none of those people posted reviews so the review site is mainly pretty honest (so far, anyway).

Frauleins, oh frauleins
2019 | Frank & Beans | Buddy Movie | ULTRA48 | DQ :) | Auckland Winner: Best Disqualified Film
2018 | MUST LOVE BOTS | Anti-RomCom | ULTRA48 | Heat 4 Audience Fav, Auckland Short List, Auckland Finalist: Best Script
2017 | I am ball 2 | Survival | ULTRA48
2016 | The Littlest Punk | Punk | Auckland finalist: Best Original Song
2015 | Crumbs | RomCom, Animated | DQ & Very bad!
2014 | I am ball | Musical, Animated | Auckland finalist: Best Use of Prop
2013 | Crybaby | Race Against Time | Boring!
2012 | S.U.L.A. | Urban Legend | Puppets
2011 | Kill Therapist | Revenge | Writer, Director, Actor | Notorious
2010 | Action Manu | Biopic | Writer, Director | Boring

Fractured Radius
2009 | All's Fair | Musical/Dance | Co-Writer
2008 | The End | Drama | Co-Writer | Auckland winner
2003 | F.I.T. | Cop/Crime | Peripheral

Rastinha
Since: Mar 2014

Yeah we had some school teams show up with way more than their allotted 10 seats, and then do a deal with each other to vote for audience favorite for each other, so they got 2/3 of the slots in our heat. Bit stink for the teams who showed up with the proper numbers that it can be swayed that easily. Suppose you've got to give them credit for playing the game though.

And then nobody here writes reviews, I reviewed every film in both heats and a couple of other folks did, and one of my team mates did our heat too, which means other films have 3-4 and ours has 1, lol.

Can't help but think there must be some way to tie in audience favorite to the review site, to encourage reviews and stop the audience fave cheating. Like by having a bunch of unique codes to hand out (the set number for how many seats teams had plus a set number of extras for others attending) and making people log on to write reviews. You could make it so that the numbers are tied to a team or something so people can't review their own films, and you just enter the code and it lets you give 3 ratings. Kind of like the wrap up password for team comment.

Some people would probably try to take down the films that were better than them, but I reckon something like this would be more robust. Leave the heat unlocked for 24 hours, and then lock it again to set the favorites, and then unlock it after regional finals for anyone to write reviews. Just a few thoughts.

2019: "DopeMonkey Live" - Gross-out Comedy - Pastafarian Productions (Solo/ULTRA)
2018: "Heist School Musical" - Heist Movie - Pastafarian Productions (Regional Best Door Slam)
2017: "ESP" - Alien Movie - Pastafarian Productions (Regional Finalist)
2016: "The War on Error" - Cat & Mouse - Pastafarian Productions (Regional Finalist)
2015: "Us... But Mainly You" - Black Comedy - Pastafarian Productions (Regional Finalist)
2014: "Sphere" - Horror - Pastafarian Productions (Regional Finalist)
2009-2013: MIA
2008: "I Adore" - Drama - Conspiracion de las Palomitas
2007: "The Hazel Princess" - Fairytale - Conspiracion de las Palomitas
2006: "All Ur <3 R Belong 2 Me" - Romance - Popcorn Conspiracy

themorgan

It's a bit of a conflict because it's great to have lots of people in the heat, but then on the other hand it sucks that some of the teams that can make that happen (by bringing far more people along than they should) then mess up the voting by being dicks.

School teams definitely aren't the whole problem, but having them in their own school team only heats seems like a pretty simple idea - I'm not sure why the school teams that didn't belong (judging things alphabetically) in our heat were moved there but it seemed to be a special accommodation made for them by the organisers.

Frauleins, oh frauleins
2019 | Frank & Beans | Buddy Movie | ULTRA48 | DQ :) | Auckland Winner: Best Disqualified Film
2018 | MUST LOVE BOTS | Anti-RomCom | ULTRA48 | Heat 4 Audience Fav, Auckland Short List, Auckland Finalist: Best Script
2017 | I am ball 2 | Survival | ULTRA48
2016 | The Littlest Punk | Punk | Auckland finalist: Best Original Song
2015 | Crumbs | RomCom, Animated | DQ & Very bad!
2014 | I am ball | Musical, Animated | Auckland finalist: Best Use of Prop
2013 | Crybaby | Race Against Time | Boring!
2012 | S.U.L.A. | Urban Legend | Puppets
2011 | Kill Therapist | Revenge | Writer, Director, Actor | Notorious
2010 | Action Manu | Biopic | Writer, Director | Boring

Fractured Radius
2009 | All's Fair | Musical/Dance | Co-Writer
2008 | The End | Drama | Co-Writer | Auckland winner
2003 | F.I.T. | Cop/Crime | Peripheral

Freezingfire

School teams are moved around to put them in the earlier heats each evening so they can get home at a reasonable hour. Out of town teams play on the weekend so they can travel if they want. Those represent 99% of non alphabetical changes in Auckland at least.

As for reviews if you get in touch with Nick Burridge he can police the review - check ip addresses and emails etc to see if they're cheating the system. They don't count for anything in the judging, neither do audience favourites really for that matter, but it helps if you want to take a look at the best or most popular of a region.

Having seen every film in Auckland I wish I was any good at writing reviews, and had time to do so. Bring back reviewer awards I say!

Johnathan Guest
Halcyon Entertainment
14 time 48Hours entrant
2018 Auckland City Winner

Brendon
Since: May 2011

As I've mentioned previously, watching people write glowing reviews of their own films is one of my favourite things about the competition.

TBALC / Team Moon

Scott Doar

Well i don't really mind people reviewing their own films as a joke. (this happend with my team last year but has since been removed) but you should really be using that time to review the other teams hard work as well. There's a definite art to writing a good review so i'm super keen to seem them bring back a reviewer award in one form or another.

Steve Austin

There is actually a button to be able to add a "team comment" now, so writing your own reviews there just lets the whole team down really.

2017 - "Gym Buddy" - Buddy Movie - 6 Million Bucks - Team Leader/Executive Producer
2016 - "Jour du Biscuit" - Comedy of Errors - 6 Million Bucks - Team Leader/Director/The Police Detective
2015 - "The Breadmaker" - Last Person On Earth - Ask Me Tomorrow - Doctor Harper Harrison Senior/Stylin Beta
2013 - "Quarrelsome Heat" - Action/Advanture - TBALC - Carruthers/The Sandman
2012 - "Surcease" - Inspirational - Hybrid Motion Pictures - Production Co-ordinator
2011 - "Roundelay" - Mystery - Hybrid Motion Pictures - Producer, Co-Writer
2005-2010 - OPERATIONS MANAGER (2009/10) & THAT THERE CHRISTCHURCH CITY MANAGER GUY (2005-2010)
2004 - Buddy Movie - (Tape destroyed/files lost)

CraigWB

I do think the team comment needs at least another 100 - 200 characters to the limit though.

Team Spielberg craigbickerstaff@me.com +64212166821
The longest running non-finalist in the competition.
2019 Burgled on High : Musical ULTRA
2018 The How, The What, The Who and The Why : The Heist Movie ULTRA
2017 Operator Part II Twin Souls : Thriller/Horror One Room ULTRA
2016 The Real Time Movie : What kind of day has it been
2015 Other Dimension Movie : Rift
2014 Race Against the Clock : EIGHT POINT FIVE
2013 Musical : Wolfgang
2012 Horror : The Unrested Soul
2011 One Room (Horror) : Operator -- Audience favourite
2010 Twin Movie : Secrets in Dowsing
2009 M Night Big Twist Film : The Unfinished
2008 Drama : Breakfast at Four
2007 War : Purple Heart
Sakura Productions
2006 Musical : Sardines
2005 Mockumentary : Smuggling for Dummies DQ'ed

Sam Spooner

in reply to CraigWB:

Oh for sure! As an Ultra 48 team a big chunk of our team comment was taken up by the link to the previous film. That along with how Metal Wizard tends to waffle on meant it had to be edited heavily just to fit.

TOMORROW TODAY
Two Big Tools
2016 - Mind Camp - Dystopian Film 3rd Audience Favorite, Winner of The Incredibly Strange Award(Auckland), nominated for Best Original Song(Auckland), nominated for The Incredibly Strange Award(National)
2015 - A Dame A Dozen - Mystery Film(but really all of the genres) 2nd Audience Favorite

Scott Doar

That's a really good point. im not sure where the suggestion box is for this type of thing, but definitely upping the character limit would be great. also a place for team Bio's would be cool.

Nick Burridge

in reply to Scott Doar:

That's a really good point. im not sure where the suggestion box is for this type of thing, but definitely upping the character limit would be great. also a place for team Bio's would be cool.

Alright, it's doubled. 1000 characters. Is that enough?

Sam Spooner

in reply to Nick Burridge:

Niiiiiiiccccccceeeeee.

TOMORROW TODAY
Two Big Tools

HereForTheBeer
Since: Jul 2011

I just noticed a similar thing in Hamilton heat 3. 1 film has 10 glowing reviews whilst the other films have no reviews yet.

Do people actually think the judges take notice of the reviews?

2017 - Either Way
2016 - The Game
2015 - Blurred Lines - (Best acting nominee)
2014 - Rosco - (City Finalist, audience fave, etc)
2013 - Sleep My Pretty (Best Editing nominee)
2012 - Postage & Handling (Sexiest Looking Short nominee)
2011 - Admire The Wire
2010 - Queen's Gambit (Best Team Intro nominee)
2009 - Third Time Lucky
2008 - Immaculate Deceptions

droolingmonkey
Since: Apr 2012

I can only speak from my own experience of Hamilton judges, and they most certainly don't take notice of the reviews during the judging process. For exactly that reason.