VF48Hours 2020 Forum

R17
Since: May 2013

Feed for this Topic

What I learned this year

Well... my second year managing/directing/producing and editing a 48hours film... I must say, despite our vehicle crapping itself just before the launch and our editor coming down with a debilitating vomiting bug on Saturday morning, it felt fairly relaxed this year!

Once again i learnt alot!:

1. Flying back from Auckland for an ETA in Wellington at 6.35pm Friday is VERY stressful! especially when you learn that the only person with keys to get into the team base has just blown up the car and is stranded on the way to picking up half the team AND the editing computer...

2. make sure you have more than one vehicle and driver available at any one time :D

3. Underwater cameras are AWESOME!

4. Don't let your cinematographer talk you into letting him not use a tripod for a single shot... Tripod = good.

5. Editing film is like riding a bike... first time back, you fall off and break your arm and from then on it is fine... It is good to know I can still do it myself if I don't have an editor :D

6. Sound off the camera (Canon 7D is INFINITELY better than off a cheap external mic (OMG the HUM!)

7. A good computer makes all the difference - whilst not perfect, Our film is way cleaner and more professional looking than last time. I could actually watch our film pre-render this year - that makes editing SO much easier! The render took 20mins instead of 3 hours :D

8. Getting up at 7am Sunday not 5am to continue editing actually ended up more productive than getting up at 5am (based on last year)

9. Experience helps! 80% of the team this year was in the team last year so I didn't have to answer endless questions about the competition!

10. Alcohol and spa pool on Friday evening makes for a very tired team come Saturday morning...

11. Facebook is a great way to organise your team... except for that one person who refuses to sign up for facebook... grrr....

We had so much fun this year :D

What did you guys learn?

snapdragon
Since: Apr 2013

in reply to ScottKennedy:

Very good point. An even easier method: some NLEs will allow you to select a portion of the timeline and render all effects within that selection. This greatly reduces the import time.

Craig
Since: May 2011

Re Dylan's comment - agree that the 2-system method should be approached with EXTREME caution. It derailed our team 2 years back. But, if you (a) absolutely think it should work and (b) test it pretty well anyway, then it's a big step up. We didn't even do editing on both systems, but just having the second one there for ingest and rendering was a treat.

Scott,
Agree, and I'm always wondering about how best to use this approach. Our machines aren't fast enough to render colour correction late in the day so correcting and rendering over Saturday night makes sense. Maybe next year. As it was we pre-rendered a couple of sequences including title cards when it turned out that comp 2 didn't have the same fonts.

Our system is probably typical - shoot until late Sat, try to "break the back of it" before turning in, rough as guts cut hopefully mid morning Sunday

One thing I don't understand - the teams who say they start shooting 3 or 4 Saturday afternoon. What happens before that? Scripting perfectionists? Preparing props?

p.s. The "reply" button in this forum doesn't work on my work chrome browser or on the iPad...Edit - wait, yes seems it does. Just the display in the edit screen is screwy.

ScottKennedy
Since: Apr 2014

in reply to Craig:

yeah we had the approach the script would be locked by the the end of Friday - no matter what. that everything was going to be filmed on Saturday - no matter what. Realistically you need all of Sunday to edit and all of Saturday to shoot. It's just too much to do at the end if you don't stay disciplined.

I'd say the best way to edit with 2 computers would be to have one editor choosing the best takes, syncing audio to it and then exporting those 'Best' clips to the second editor who does the final 'fine' edit. doing half and and half of the film is asking for trouble - not to mention if you say, 'wouldn't this part be better at the start...' you're stuck.

I think you are better off having a computer that has lots of free space on it, you restart it every couple of hours and you have an editor that can work with a director and be willing to go FAST!

Writer / Director - Queenstown
2015 | Begged, Borrowed, Stolen - 48 Days Later (Last Person on Earth)
Dunedin City Awards: Best Film, Best Cinematography, Sexiest Looking Short, Best Song

2014 | Begged, Borrowed, Stolen - A Right Tool (Mistaken Identity)
*National Winner - Best Cinematography*
Nationally nominated for: Best Director, Best Actor, Best Actress, Best Editing
Dunedin City Awards: Best Film, Best Director, Best Cinematography, Best Editing, Sexiest Looking Short, Best Actor, Best Actress, Best Art Direction

2013 | Begged, Borrowed, Stolen - Mental Note (Musical) [Dunedin City Finalist, National nominee: Best Make-up]

IctusMortem
Since: May 2012

I wondered if pre-exporting then importing the whole file made the final render faster. I did it this year actually (while my partner in it's-not-crime-I-swear was finding music), but couldn't tell if there was a time difference 'cos I had to export the final in vastly lower quality, to speed it up due to time constraints (aka putting on the music in the car on the way to hand in).
There we go, another thing I've learnt this year then.

What ARE people doing if they start shooting 3pm?

Mista Teas
Since: Apr 2011

in reply to IctusMortem:

Well, last year we started shooting the majority of our film around 3pm. We had musical though and had spent the earlier part of the day recording the music - which took longer than we thought it would. We were only shooting in one location so it wasn't too much of a big deal starting so late.

SCREENING NOW: End - Real Time; CHCH25s
REVISIT: The Stile - Star-crossed Lovers; ULTRA48; CHCH25s

Everything Sticks since 2008
48Hr Films 2008-2019 48Sec Films 2008-2016

Mista Teas (Stu Gilpin) NATIONAL WINNER "Best/Most Prolific Reviewer" 2011 REVIEWS ARCHIVE

DylanReeve

Here's an idea from which I think some teams could really benefit:

Have at least one team member who wasn't involved in the Friday night planning

I pretty consistently see a few films each year (a high number consider I usually only see a couple of heats at most) where the story simply make no sense to the audience. I think this is usually because all the people involved have plenty of familiarity with their story idea and character back story etc - they simply don't realise they haven't communicated that with the audience.

Dylan Reeve | Edit Geek
Fractured Radius | Auckland | Since 2003

2017 | Supernatural | Morgan's Time 2: Morgan's Fate
2015/2016 } I was doing other things...
2014 | Time Travel | Morgan's Time
2013 | Robot/Android/Cyborg | Incredibly Advanced Robotics
2012 | Fantasy Adventure | Tilting at Windmills
2011 | One Room (Quest) | The Office Quest
2010 | Musical/Dance | Professional Dancer
2009 | Musical/Dance | All's Fair
2008 | Drama | The End (Auckland Winner)
2007 | Crime | The Big Job
2006 | Action/Adventure | Three Heroes Against Terror (City Finalist)
2005 | Romance | Fruits of Passion
2004 | Action/Adventure | The Sceptre of MacGuffin (City Finalist)
2003 | Cop/Crime | Forensic Investigation Team

DylanReeve

Also:

Turn off image stabilzation!

I don't know what cameras were in use, but at least two or three of the films I saw it was clear that Image Stabilization was messing up shots. The stabilization was fighting deliberate camera moves which resulting in sudden 'pops' in movement as the stabilization reached it's limits and had to reset.

It was very distracting.

And why was so much footage completely out of focus?! I'm pretty sure it was normal video cameras too, no even DSLRs or something.

Dylan Reeve | Edit Geek
Fractured Radius | Auckland | Since 2003

2017 | Supernatural | Morgan's Time 2: Morgan's Fate
2015/2016 } I was doing other things...
2014 | Time Travel | Morgan's Time
2013 | Robot/Android/Cyborg | Incredibly Advanced Robotics
2012 | Fantasy Adventure | Tilting at Windmills
2011 | One Room (Quest) | The Office Quest
2010 | Musical/Dance | Professional Dancer
2009 | Musical/Dance | All's Fair
2008 | Drama | The End (Auckland Winner)
2007 | Crime | The Big Job
2006 | Action/Adventure | Three Heroes Against Terror (City Finalist)
2005 | Romance | Fruits of Passion
2004 | Action/Adventure | The Sceptre of MacGuffin (City Finalist)
2003 | Cop/Crime | Forensic Investigation Team

dramamike

in reply to DylanReeve:

We appoint someone to come and look at the rough cut early on Sunday morning for this exact reason.
They come in, not knowing what we are trying to tell and see if they can easily follow it (with rubbish sound and no music etc).
It becomes so hard to see how an audience might react on a first viewing because you are so connected to it.
Key person in the team

2019 Depart'ners Buddy
2018 Thanks to the Academy Heist Ultra
2017 Forelsket Nutbar Films Buddy Sacrifice
2016 Con Troll Alt Delete Nutbar Films Horror Fan Favourite. City Finalist for Make-Up
2015 Hide and Seek Nutbar Films Mystery
2014 Confessions Nutbar, with a taste of Nimlin Film, within a film
2013 Made Maid Nutbar Films City Finalist for POV Shot Robot/Cyborg/Android
2012 I Still Dream in Colour Nutbar Films Action
2011 Raptured Golden Carrot Films Mystery
2010 Fraternal Fabrication Golden Carrot Films Twin
2009 I love you this much Golden Carrot Films Romance
2008 Luke Walker and the Golden Carrot William Shatner's Pants Animal

TheNimbleMarmoset
Since: May 2012

in reply to IctusMortem:

Yeah, that was pretty much us this year (or at least, first shot wasn't in the can til after lunchtime). But we weren't sitting idle - there was costumes, makeup, props and various set dressing details to consider. Not big stuff, but stuff you want to get right if you can. A bit of rehearsing too, I suppose. Oh, and lunch. Can't be filming on an empty stomach.

Of course, it's important to note that we were almost entirely in one location, which definitely has different demands and priorities when compared with a multi-location shoot.

SOUTH JERSEY GHOST RESEARCH
2019 - "Catman and Robyn" (The Secret Identity Movie)
2018 - "Cushy: A Pull Story" (The Film That Spans More Than Ten Years)

TBALC
2017 - "Down 2 The Wire". . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2016 - "Down To The Wire" (Bechdel)
2016 - "Windows" (Mystery). . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2011 - "Band Of Bullies" (Quest)
2015 - "The Silent Man" (Mystery). . . . . . . . . . . . . . .2010 - "I Am Single" (Rom Com)
2014 - "The Ex" (Rom Com). . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2009 - "New Fish" (Musical)
2013 - "Quarrelsome Heat" (Action/Adventure). . . 2008 - "Übermensch" (Horror)
2012 - "Nicky + Eve 19/5" (One Shot) . . . . . . . . . . .2007 - "Pain-Killer: The Sick Sense" (Superhero)

EVIL GENIUS LABS
2005 - "Bruised Gold" (Documentary)

zer05um

I learned that for reasons that I can't fathom it was impossible to synch up our audio recording to our footage, so we were stuck with in camera audio. I cried a little.

2018 [Auckland] Alt 3:57 Last Day On Earth | 3rd Place Audience Favourite
2017 [Auckland] Over-Wound Buddy / Sacrifice | Regional Nomination - Best Makeup.
2016 [Auckland] A Ripping Yarn Bro or Bechdel
2015 [Auckland] He's got the moves - Musical or Dance
2014 [Auckland] Decay Rate - Mistaken Identity
2013 [Auckland] Backup/Restore - Robots, Cyborgs & Androids
2012 [Auckland] Cherry Π - Romantic Comedy
2011 [Auckland] Things Best Forgotten - Mystery Not so much Late as completely absent...
2010 [Taranaki] Broken - Road Movie - Regional Prizes: Sound & Vision Sexiest Short | Most Realistic Moment
2009 [Hamilton] Te Hararei - Family Film - Te Reo Maori Language Film
2008 [Hamilton] 47:53:00 - Horror Late

zer05um

in reply to dramamike:

Yeah, I agree. I usually have an incomprehensibility auditor on the team. Mine didn't show up this year...

2017 [Auckland] Over-Wound Buddy / Sacrifice | Regional Nomination - Best Makeup.
2011 [Auckland] Things Best Forgotten - Mystery Not so much Late as completely absent...
2010 [Taranaki] Broken - Road Movie - Regional Prizes: Sound & Vision Sexiest Short | Most Realistic Moment

zer05um

in reply to DylanReeve:

Very very true. We hit the snag of a script that at read through looked like it would be sub seven mins, but ended up nearer ten. Cut it down and.... Yeah. Confusing.

zer05um

And of course not having significant medical crises take out the director on Sunday arvo.

themorgan

in reply to zer05um:

it was impossible to synch up our audio recording to our footage

Get PluralEyes.

It's a bit spendy to buy, but when I bought a mic it came free and I expect that kind of deal comes up from time to time.

hit the snag of a script that at read through looked like it would be sub seven mins, but ended up nearer ten

I wish everyone would remember that 7 minutes is the maximum running time. It's not a target.

Frauleins, oh frauleins
2019 | Frank & Beans | Buddy Movie | ULTRA48 | DQ :) | Auckland Winner: Best Disqualified Film
2018 | MUST LOVE BOTS | Anti-RomCom | ULTRA48 | Heat 4 Audience Fav, Auckland Short List, Auckland Finalist: Best Script
2017 | I am ball 2 | Survival | ULTRA48
2016 | The Littlest Punk | Punk | Auckland finalist: Best Original Song
2015 | Crumbs | RomCom, Animated | DQ & Very bad!
2014 | I am ball | Musical, Animated | Auckland finalist: Best Use of Prop
2013 | Crybaby | Race Against Time | Boring!
2012 | S.U.L.A. | Urban Legend | Puppets
2011 | Kill Therapist | Revenge | Writer, Director, Actor | Notorious
2010 | Action Manu | Biopic | Writer, Director | Boring

Fractured Radius
2009 | All's Fair | Musical/Dance | Co-Writer
2008 | The End | Drama | Co-Writer | Auckland winner
2003 | F.I.T. | Cop/Crime | Peripheral

Meatloaf
Since: Jun 2012

in reply to themorgan:

7 minutes is the maximum

Oh so true. This year we aimed for 6 mins and got pretty close. Sometimes that extra minute seems to take about 7 minutes of it's own to pass by! If I feel that way watching it in a heat of less than 12 films, just imagine how the regional judges are going to feel after watching over 200 films!

CraigWB

I'm not entirely sure what to take away from it this year, I think I just dropped the ball on this one, figuratively speaking...
One thing I learned I guess is that ADR isn't quite as difficult as I thought, you don't need a fancy booth or anything you just need shove the shotgun mic in the actors face and place the clip for them a few times.
Actually, another thing I've learned is that DSLRs may be more trouble than their worth, especially when they can't get you the fancy bokeh because it's too bright out and you have an EX1r with you.

Team Spielberg craigbickerstaff@me.com +64212166821
The longest running non-finalist in the competition.
2019 Burgled on High : Musical ULTRA
2018 The How, The What, The Who and The Why : The Heist Movie ULTRA
2017 Operator Part II Twin Souls : Thriller/Horror One Room ULTRA
2016 The Real Time Movie : What kind of day has it been
2015 Other Dimension Movie : Rift
2014 Race Against the Clock : EIGHT POINT FIVE
2013 Musical : Wolfgang
2012 Horror : The Unrested Soul
2011 One Room (Horror) : Operator -- Audience favourite
2010 Twin Movie : Secrets in Dowsing
2009 M Night Big Twist Film : The Unfinished
2008 Drama : Breakfast at Four
2007 War : Purple Heart
Sakura Productions
2006 Musical : Sardines
2005 Mockumentary : Smuggling for Dummies DQ'ed

zer05um

in reply to themorgan:

Get PluralEyes.

It's a bit spendy to buy, but when I bought a mic it came free and I expect that kind of deal comes up from time to time.

Yeah, PluralEyes would have helped, but a little too expensive at present - $399 US is outside my range for the immediate future.

7 minutes is the maximum

I know. Usually I'm around the 5-5.30 mark. This year the story seemed pretty strong, and I'm told that even with the ropey sound and heavy cutting it was at least coherent, so that's a plus.

ScottKennedy
Since: Apr 2014

in reply to zer05um:

Yeah, PluralEyes would have helped, but a little too expensive at present - $399 US is outside my range for the immediate future.

one 'cheaper' way around that is using Adobe Premiere Pro CC - it has an audio sync feature (it's actually for making multi camera sequence, but it works perfectly) - you can get CC free for the fist month - so get it 3 weeks early, practice and you'll be ready to go.

the classic zero cost solution is a clap - clap your hands loudly in front of the camera, you'll see it on the video and more importantly both the camera and sound recorders will pick it up - just match the wave forms in the edit. with a bit of practice it's really easy to line up in the edit.

Writer / Director - Queenstown
2015 | Begged, Borrowed, Stolen - 48 Days Later (Last Person on Earth)
Dunedin City Awards: Best Film, Best Cinematography, Sexiest Looking Short, Best Song

2014 | Begged, Borrowed, Stolen - A Right Tool (Mistaken Identity)
*National Winner - Best Cinematography*
Nationally nominated for: Best Director, Best Actor, Best Actress, Best Editing
Dunedin City Awards: Best Film, Best Director, Best Cinematography, Best Editing, Sexiest Looking Short, Best Actor, Best Actress, Best Art Direction

2013 | Begged, Borrowed, Stolen - Mental Note (Musical) [Dunedin City Finalist, National nominee: Best Make-up]

Craig
Since: May 2011

I'd say the best way to edit with 2 computers would be to have one editor choosing the best takes, syncing audio to it and then exporting those 'Best' clips to the second editor who does the final 'fine' edit.

This is phrased a bit like theory, but if you or anyone else actually does this in Premiere for Windows land, what file format do you use for these intermediate renders?
I did a couple of clips to H.264 with the bitrate maxed up to 50 which seemed OK.

(btw - just noticed your credits, Scott, say Hi to the keen shopper from last year's musical for me ;-))

Paulette
Since: Mar 2014

Wow, sounds like you guys had a wild time, you must of felt so buzzed though at hand in, what an adrenaline rush