VF48Hours Lockdown Forum

Rexmeat
Since: Jun 2015

Feed for this Topic

Wellington Finals Botched!

What the heck happened this year?

I have to say that I was extremely disappointed with the how the finals were presented this year...

Someone had the "bright" idea to give out half of the awards BEFORE screening any of the finalist films. In doing so they:

1) Spoiled quite a few of the films by showing some major twists/moments in the 'Nominee clips' (Revealing the huge twist of 'Traces of Nuts' film in the Make-up category WTF! Plus spoiling the fantastic song from 'Lovely Bongo Drums')

2) Treated these first awards as if they were meaningless compared to the later awards. They had a constant video on screen showing the nominees and winners with no pauses in-between. Meaning the winner of one award was just getting out of their seat to collect their award and the audience was already watching the clips for the next nominees. WTF! Talk about production line...

3) Completely removed all involvement of the audience in the winners of those first awards. The best part of previous years is the excitement of the whole Embassy cheering on winners from films they have seen and deeply believe deserve to win.

It's such a huge shame because there was some fantastic work by some very talented people and they weren't given the appreciation they deserved.

steelpotato
Since: Apr 2011

but hey it was all over by 9.30...

it did have a very strange vibe with almost 200 spare seats and the awards before any films and nothing said about sponsors/prizes.

don't want to tread on too many toes as we do all appreciate what a mammoth task it is running the event.

just felt different to me but seemed at times like a case of if not broken why fix it?

Mista Teas

Where are all the results for Wellington? News updates seem a little slow this year.

NOW SCREENING: Shed - Science Fiction; LOCKDOWN48
REVISIT: End - Real Time; CHCH25s

Everything Sticks since 2008
48Hr Films 2008-2020 48Sec Films 2008-2016

Mista Teas (Stu Gilpin) NATIONAL WINNER "Best/Most Prolific Reviewer" 2011 REVIEWS ARCHIVE

steelpotato

1st: Couch Kumaras
2nd: Outcasts
3rd: Moffilaide

V Best Actress
Emma Draper - Moonlanding

V Best Actor
Paul Waggot - Cinema in Decline

CANON Regional Best Cinematography
Moffilaide - Bringing Back Bruce

LETTERBOXD Best Director Award
Finn Connor - Couch Kumaras

Best Original SONG
Let's Play - Lovely Bongo Drums

Best Original SCORE
Tane Upjohn-Beatson - Traces of Nut

Best Animation
Lets Play - Lovely Bongo Drums

Best Script
Cinema in Decline

Best Editing
Cinema In Decline

Best Makeup
Sonia Edney - Film Busters

Best Use of prop
Voice of Legends

Best Use of line
No Class Productions

Best Use of character
Slave Labour Productions

I'm not 100% on best song or use of line though :)

Mista Teas

Cheers.

NOW SCREENING: Shed - Science Fiction; LOCKDOWN48
REVISIT: End - Real Time; CHCH25s

Everything Sticks since 2008
48Hr Films 2008-2020 48Sec Films 2008-2016

Mista Teas (Stu Gilpin) NATIONAL WINNER "Best/Most Prolific Reviewer" 2011 REVIEWS ARCHIVE

Rosie Alldridge
Since: Apr 2014

I'd just like to add that some awards were forgotten on the night as well. Best female director & 'sexiest looking short' were awarded to Moonlanding after the fact. There was also an award for best VFX - sorry I cant recall who that went to. Quite disappointing that these people weren't recognised on the night along with everyone else. What happened!!!

steelpotato

Oops editing was Couch Kumaras and best line was Empire of Reason as per Kelly's post

Newsboy
Since: May 2011

There was a best VFX award?!?

2007: Solitaire
2008: F*Dance (National winner)
2009: Mime and Punishment
2010: Art
2011: Nubbin' But Trouble
2012: FETUS 5000
2013: Fist Cop
2014: Man Day
2015: Beyond the Fridge
2016: DICKS
2017: Cameo'd in 11 films.
2019: The Big Number.

Most films linked above are the tidied up Director's cuts. Not indicative of what was handed in

Dean Hewison
Since: Jun 2013

in reply to Newsboy:

There was a best VFX award?!?

Yep - awarded in the Black Sparrow bar instead of the Embassy. It was very odd. Caleb Carr from Moffilaide was the winner.

I definitely think putting half the awards at the start isn't something to do again. I can see why they'd want to try it, but it felt much less prestigious and stole a lot of thunder from those awards due to lack of audience engagement, as well as the spoilers attached.

Riblet
Since: May 2015

I'm confused as to how there was a female nominated for 'best director' but yet they didn't win 'best female director'? Or am I missing something obvious?

Dawkward
Since: May 2013

in reply to Newsboy:

I agree with the consensus about the awards. PS Newsboy when are you putting up your damn film?! I loved Fistcop, reminded me of farcry blood dragon and Kung Fury for obvious reasons (if you haven't seen the 30 minute release of Kung Fury, do it asap!)

2016: Suede Mystery - Actor, Composer, Writer
2015: Loyal Buddy Film Wellington City Winner, National Runner-Runner Up, National Best Actor/Editor - Actor, Composer, Writer
2014: adz4u Film within a Film - Actor, Composer, Writer
2013: Bags Horror Wellington City Finals - Actor, Composer, Writer
2012: Sticks and Stones Fantasy Adventure (Late) - Actor, Composer, Writer
2011: Sketch Road Film Wellington City Winner, National Finalist, National Best Cinematography/Score - Composer, Writer
2010: Loosely Attached Twin Movie - Actor, Audio Technical

Newsboy

Just remember, Kung Fury came AFTER Fist Cop ;)

We're hoping to have our film up this weekend. But our tireless leader is a perfectionist and wants to make sure the sound and grading is top notch. It'll be worth the extra wait :)

OH SHIT I JUST REALISED WHO YOU ARE.

Your film last night BLEW ME AWAY! Top notch effort, I just wish I got to congratulate you all in person. Seriously, great work!

Most films linked above are the tidied up Director's cuts. Not indicative of what was handed in

Dawkward
Since: May 2013

in reply to Newsboy:

Here's hoping we're both there next year then! Seriously, cant wait to see it! But perfectionists will be perfectionists. Suppose it pays to nail it before it's immortalised on the www. I read steelpotatoes review on your film and I need to see this interdimensional fridge portal.

2016: Suede Mystery - Actor, Composer, Writer
2015: Loyal Buddy Film Wellington City Winner, National Runner-Runner Up, National Best Actor/Editor - Actor, Composer, Writer
2014: adz4u Film within a Film - Actor, Composer, Writer
2013: Bags Horror Wellington City Finals - Actor, Composer, Writer
2012: Sticks and Stones Fantasy Adventure (Late) - Actor, Composer, Writer
2011: Sketch Road Film Wellington City Winner, National Finalist, National Best Cinematography/Score - Composer, Writer
2010: Loosely Attached Twin Movie - Actor, Audio Technical

Newsboy

I can't wait for people to see it :D

In the words of someone in the bathroom at our heat: "There's no way they made that in 48 hours."

dramamike

in reply to Newsboy:

I was in your heat and full credit to you.
Doable in 48 Hours, but only if you've got some seriously skilled people in the team.
You did achieve a rather substantial 'Holy Sh*t!' moment in the theatre, which must have made your VFX folks smile.

2020 Lockdown The Nutbar News at Nine Urban Fantasy
2019 Depart'ners Buddy
2018 Thanks to the Academy Heist Ultra
2017 Forelsket Nutbar Films Buddy Sacrifice
2016 Con Troll Alt Delete Nutbar Films Horror Fan Favourite. City Finalist for Make-Up
2015 Hide and Seek Nutbar Films Mystery
2014 Confessions Nutbar, with a taste of Nimlin Film, within a film
2013 Made Maid Nutbar Films City Finalist for POV Shot Robot/Cyborg/Android
2012 I Still Dream in Colour Nutbar Films Action
2011 Raptured Golden Carrot Films Mystery
2010 Fraternal Fabrication Golden Carrot Films Twin
2009 I love you this much Golden Carrot Films Romance
2008 Luke Walker and the Golden Carrot William Shatner's Pants Animal

Rexmeat
Since: Jun 2015

in reply to Rosie Alldridge:

This is bizarre! The event finished an hour earlier than expected, they rushed half the awards then even left some out?! It gets even stranger...

Toxie

in reply to Dawkward:

Perfectionist here, guilty as charged. I'm sure someone told me that if you rub hard enough you can definitely polish a turd.. right? ;)

Congrats on the win! a solid and touching film that gave everyone a serious case of the feels. All the best for the nationals!

Team PuppyGuts - Wellington

2005 - 'Cock Fever' (SciFi) - Team Awesome
2006 - 'Snow Job' (Fairytale) - FezHeads
2007 - 'Solitaire' (Based on a true story) - PuppyGuts
2008 - 'F*Dance' (Musical or Dance) Audience fave, Regional finals, Peter Jackson Wildcard, National Winner - PuppyGuts
2009 - 'Mime and Punishment' (Revenge) - PuppyGuts
2010 - 'ärt' (Biopic) - PuppyGuts
2011 - 'Nubbin but trouble' (Romantic comedy) Audience fave - PuppyGuts
2012 - 'FETUS 5000' (Found Footage) - PuppyGuts
2013 - 'FIST COP' (Cyborg, Robot or Android) - PuppyGuts
2014 - 'Man Day' (Race against the clock) - PuppyGuts
2015 - 'Beyond the Fridge' (Other dimension) - PuppyGuts
2016 - 'DICKS' (PUNK) - PuppyGuts

Newsboy

in reply to dramamike:

Definitely the response we were going for :)
Our team would really appreciate a review if you have the time (and remember it). A few of us ensured that we reviewed all films in our heat and it seems other teams weren't thinking the same way (or didn't have time/the words)

semix

It's a shame that no importance was given to so many of the awards in Wellington.
I've been to 6 or 7 Wellington finals, but now questioning if I'll bother again. I thought the way that the minor awards were treated were insulting to the recipients who were collecting their certificates while the next round of nominees were playing on the screen, so the audience never even really got to see the winners properly (or at all for the awards that were forgotten/not given out).

Maybe next year they'll just come in the post instead.

Also know of a few people who didn't make it because the nominees list went up so late this year.

Disappointed.

CAPSLOCK
Since: Apr 2015

in reply to semix:

I agree with semix, the minor awards were so rushed and it was insulting to the recipients.

daronjay

In Auckland there were no walk ups for any awards except the majors, the minor award nominees were shown as clips, the winner announced to applause, and they collected their certificates at the end in a big scrum.

But, to be fair, they are only 'minor' awards.

The main nominees were shown in two batches of 6 with the more important 'minor' awards announced in between each batch, and the final main prizes given at the end with walk ups. That way all the main nominees got shown before any major prizes, gave a chance to anticipate the end results.

The organisers were careful not to do any accidental spoilers with minor award announcements as far as I could see, so it seemed like a good night to me, flowed well.

That was my first regional final so I've no idea if thats how it has always been done, it seemed ok to me, and my team was a recipient of an audience award. I didn't mind the scrum ;-)

Twerkers Collective
2015 Mr Nibbles | Cat & Mouse - Audience Award Winner | reviews

Screening room link
Review it here