VF48Hours Lockdown Forum

Ant Timpson
Since: Mar 2011

Feed for this Topic

THIS YEARS GRAND FINAL JUDGING

This years judging will be slightly different for the Grand Final. City Winners DO NOT automatically go into the Grand Final.

- HEATS (Audience Faves)
- CITY WINNERS (Best of Each City)
- A GRAND FINAL JUDGING POOL (City Winners and selection of The Best of the Rest)
- GRAND FINAL (Best of the Pool + Wildcards)

As new regions join the comp and have a small amount of teams, it's becoming obvious that it is unfair for their city winners to automatically go into the Grand Final. We want the Grand Final to be the best representation of the competition and this is the way forward.

V48 did not receive NZONAIR funding for the series and GF for TV which means the TV series will be a Best of Compile show on U. So this years Grand Final this year will be a fun live event at the Civic in Auckland (Sat July 2nd). We expect to live stream this event like a Charlie Sheen nightmare for all in NZ to see. We hope to break the record for the biggest live webcast in NZ.

Everyone is invited to come along to that and have a great night.

Facebook - My Facebook Page
Twitter - My Twitter Page

Backfocus
Since: Apr 2011

How does something like this not get NZONAIR funding, amazing! What do they say as to why it doesn't? call it a reality singing/dancing/modeling/cooking reality TV contest, and maybe it would get funding.

Anyway, I like the idea of it being the best of the best at the grand finals, good decision.

Team Sparkle

Ant Timpson

Unfortunately reality shows like Secret Lives of Dancers are now in the same catergory as 48. NZONAIR are not to blame.

NZONAIR actually set aside money for the V48. They like the event. It ticks every box. Then when C4 became FOUR things went south. FOUR said no but good news is you can go to TV3 for a week and then suddenly it was all over. FOUR dropped us when they felt another show they put in wouldn't get money. Which meant we were left high and dry. I feel FOUR just jumped the gun a bit with their new direction and thinking they couldn't get two shows funded that round. I mean it rated well in its slot, we had the money and all was good. So it wasn't because it wasn't working for them. This is TV though and its full of lucky breaks and not so lucky ones.

And U is not officially able to apply for funding which means we are in a grey zone for a year until that changes.

However we did have another angle to work with NZONAIR and if that comes off - expect a very cool announcement in June.

sideshowstu

Nice call on the city winners not necessarily going through. There's been a couple of roughy's through the years. Film makers in the larger centres will be pleased.

Stuart Rogers
Director/Producer
Team Super-Best-Friends
Queenstown

Joey

Shitty news about the TV show. I thought such an excellent job was done last year and was only excited to see where you would take it from there. Kinda excited by the prospect of a Live Grand Final though... (soz non aucklanders).

Prime Rib
2013 - Fuck It / 2011 - Tagalongs / 2010 - Life in the Bus Lane / 2009 - Wet Impact / 2008 - About a Bug / 2007 - Bookcase / 2006 - Gunther & Me

NITRO

I can only begin to imagine the amount of background work you guys are doing to keep all this going. Whatever it comes to - we definitely appreciate everything you're doing!

this sig intentionally left blank - youtube
sponsored by photogear and fueled by fuel espresso … just need a pizza sponsor now :D

clang

No TV grand final? Sob sob. Can we at least somehow encourage finalists to get their entries up onto the 48 web site for public viewing the following day or something similar?

Hmm, the mention of reality TV gets me thinking - what is 48 Hrs if not reality TV? Then again, do I personally want a film crew following me around all weekend and later broadcasting the embarrassing screaming and crying bits? - no thank you...

Big Kahuna

in reply to clang:

Does this lack of TV coverage mean that the M rating rule no longer applies to the shorts?

Annoyed Grunt:

2014 (Wellington) - A Little Bit of Pluck - The Against the Odds Movie
2013 (Wellington) - Parasite - The Robot/Cyborg/Android Movie
2012 (Wellington) - Sunday in the Park with Mary - Musical/Dance

Twins and Bullies:

2011 (Christchurch) - Tip of the Iceberg - Body-Switch Movie
2010 (Christchurch) - Sidney Manson Saved my Life - Biopic - Disqualified (Wrong DVD Format)
2009 (Christchurch) - Men of the Millenia - Politically Incorrect - Regional Winner of Best Bad Film Award

nimlin

in reply to Big Kahuna:

did they ever?

YouTube has my stuff

http://nz.youtube.com/nimlin

the coffee pixie has been freed! yay! all is good in the world. someone please save Nimlin!
Otaki is the centre of the universe!
(because Aunty Hira said so, and she should know)

Shifty

Now first off I will stress that this has nothing to do with bashing the folks up in Auckland, I grew up and lived there for 44 years and like the place.. So that's out of the way..
Now to the subject at hand..
I can see why this is being looked at, yes the main centers have a great deal of competition team numbers wise to even get to the finals slot so it's understandable that there may seem an unfair bias to a smaller center.. That is true however it is also true that the larger centers have a great deal more resourses to draw upon to make their films.. Lets face it 99% of all the professional teams are based in the larger centers.. I say professional not because they're being paid to be part of the comp but it's their job or they are industry related.. So that gives them an unfair advantage.. One only has to look at some of the credits to see well know actors, camera people and so on, so how can a team from Taihape compete with that amount of resourse..
Which ever way you look at it there will seem to be a bias.. If you look back over the winners all except one from Wellington and one from Dunedin all have been from Auckland.. Ah you might say but it's really meant to be a fun event, true but it is always called a competition with some seriously big prizes so it's more han just a fun weekend..
so the next situation is you might say but the small fun teams from the big centers are still at a disadvantage but it is still for the same reason..
The term "best of the rest" is an interesting title.. Just how many are going to be in this catagory? Is everyone going to be eligable or is it just the best of the rest from the city finals?..
Personally I would prefer to see it broken up into two competitions, one for professionals and one for ameteurs.. That way the playing field would be far more leveled out..
Okay so that opens up a whole new can of worms, but there is no reason it couldn't happen, after all there is quite a number of different catagories already..
Which ever way you go someone will cry foul.. it's the nature of such things especially when there is something of value (other than personal achievment) at stake..
Mind you it would be intereting to see if one year it was announced that there would be absolutely no prizes , no big grand final event, and the best considered film would just be acknowledged on the V48 Hour site..
I wonder if the standard would rise or fall or remain the same..

2013 - Nimlin Productions - Full House - Obsessive Relationship Movie
2012 - Nimlin Productions - Hira's Tree - Urban Legend
2011 - Divide That By 9 - No Country For Fake Women - Crime
2010 - Off To The Accountant Films - The Meek Shall Inherit - Twin Movie - Regional Finalist

nimlin

in reply to Shifty:

good on ya shifty raising this old chestnut yet again.i personaly don't think it matters if it's a professional team or a bunch of newbies having a good weekend. the story is very important if it is a crap story line shot on the red camera,starring wannabe shortland street actors,edited on avid media with bells and whistles and coloured graded at park road post the end product is still a crap story that looks good.only the judges have the ability to judge which films go through and we all know that the judges along with the reviewers are all on crack cocaine. so at the end of the day or should i say 48hrs it dosen't really matter.some people are out to win at all costs and when they don't they pack sads and throw their toys out the window,and others just have want to have fun and do.and if there were no prizes i would still enter as we always have a bloody good weekend and to me that's what it's all about.just my opinion and as we know opinions are like arseholes, everybody has one :-)

YouTube has my stuff

http://nz.youtube.com/nimlin

the coffee pixie has been freed! yay! all is good in the world. someone please save Nimlin!
Otaki is the centre of the universe!
(because Aunty Hira said so, and she should know)

Darkhawk

in reply to nimlin:

Ahhhh.....Nimlin with the feel good factor :)

Same, I have never been in it for the prizes, in fact some years I haven't even known what first prize was :)

2014 Morgan Horror
2012 Broken Clover The Found Footage Movie
2011 Looking@Love Romantic Comedy
2010 Blood is Thicker than Water The Road Movie
2009 Rockin Chaos Dance
2008 Torched Superhero
2007 Odd Sods Musical
2006 Another Turning Point Coming of age
2005 Friday the 13th Filmaking Fury Mokumentary
2004 The Hand Job Heist

AKA Andy, Team Leader of Big Red Fire Truck

treefrog

Prizes, schmizes.

Arseholes to the prizes, and arseholes to the 'wannabees' who come only for the prizes.

Y'er right, for years I competed without a thought of the prizes. Its the EVENT, the 'level playing field' and the desire to compete against MY PEERS that turns my crank.

Secretly, the elusive Cinematography Award was always blinking away in the corner of my VF ;-)

2009-2015 48 Hours Otago/Southland Manager, all-round filmy geek.
2008 - 'Oh! My Gucci Boots!' - Cats of a Feather - Director -*Best Costuming
2007 - 'ARC' - Schrodghers Cat - D.O.P.
2006 - 'Scarred-The Directors Cut' - Strange Attractor - Audience Favourite

Darkhawk

Dear friends,
For many years, like Shifty I was a staunch believer in segregation into an amateur and pro class, but it wasn't till recently that I saw the light and realised separation of contestants would be detrimental to the competition.

Yes separation would excite and invigorate more amateur teams to join the competition, realising they have a better chance of a placing if the cream gets skimmed off the top.

But hey, you know what?
As it stands now, the pinnacle of the competition is show day, when you turn up at your heat screening you know you are in for a mixed bag of lollies. There will be your awesome flavoured teams in your heat that you have been following/ eating up for years, the hilarious WTF was that? shaped jelly beans near the bottom of the bag and the sour sweeties that make you suck your cheeks in (butt or face depending on individual film).

To know you are going to see films spanning such a broad level of skills makes the whole damn thing such a hoot that you want to offer your bag to the strangers on each side of you !

Although my stuff is mediocre, to be able to screen a heinous shocker amongst the big boys is a thing of immense pride.

P.S. there is someone who always likes the black jelly beans!

2014 Morgan Horror
2009 Rockin Chaos Dance
2008 Torched Superhero
2007 Odd Sods Musical
2004 The Hand Job Heist

Section59

I don't care if we don't win.

I don't care if the winner(s) are all professionals with multi-million dollar equipment.

I don't even care if nobody claps when we show our movie at the screening.

All I care is that we hand in our film by 7 p.m. on Sunday.

If anyone cares about anything apart from that then they are not getting the most out of the weekend.

And I pity them.

Section59 Films
www.Section59.co.nz

2007 - Death Nurse (Grindhouse)
2008 - The Orphan and the Inn (Fairy Tale)
2009 - Larger Than Life (Realtime)
2010 - We took a holiday :)
2011 - Crime of the Centuries (Crime)
2012 - Pronoia (Crime) - Christchurch team: Intelligent Design
2012 - S.H.A.R.P. (Superhero) - Wellington team: Random Acts
2013 - Breath of the Gods (Techno Thriller) - Christchurch team: Intelligent Design
2013 - Scooter Girl (Obsessive Relationship) - Wellington team: Random Acts
2014 - Repute (Film Within A Film) - Christchurch team: Intelligent Design
2014 - The Talented Mr Chancey (Mistaken Identity) - Wellington team: Random Acts
2015 - In Bread, Love. (Romantic Comedy) - Christchurch team: Intelligent Design
2015 - Stealing Thoughts (Other Dimension) - Wellington team: Random Acts

Viva La Booba

Come one, come all I say.

Back in 2004, Taika Waititi's "Most Heinous Crime" took out the Wellington comp. Made in a few hours in between his commitment to another 48hr team that weekend. It looked rough as, was made for about $2.88 (the false teeth) and starred just Taika, Loren Horsley and Cliff Curtis. But it rocked! Beat out the pro team for the grand prize cause it had spirit and attitude. Now that's what the 48hr film comp is all about :-)

I just looked up the very snarky and bitchy review of this film on IMDB dot com. Somebody really got their knickers in a knot over this one! Another losing finalist of that year perhaps?

“We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.”

Oscar Wilde

Darkhawk

in reply to Viva La Booba:

Wouldn't worry about those reviews, I think if you asked around, the majority of people would say that film was a shining light. It is a classic example of no resource filming. I loved suffedpiggy's (one reviewer) comment:

"This film is another nail in the coffin of Cohens possible career in film"....

Hmmm...I would say his career has done pretty damn well since 2004,
You got to wonder what exactly stuffed piggy is stuffed with?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0438867/usercomments

2014 Morgan Horror
2009 Rockin Chaos Dance
2008 Torched Superhero
2007 Odd Sods Musical
2004 The Hand Job Heist

Andrew Todd

I think it's a good call.

It'll make people from smaller centres work harder, as the level they have to work to if they wanna make it to the nationals is actually a national level, not just a local one. And there are films from the smaller centres every year that have a fighting chance in the nationals. We just cracked 100 teams in Chch so I'm counting on us having some representation there (ya bastards).

Regarding the grand nationals being live at the Civic: unfortunate (compared to TV) but necessary given the circumstances. Can it be webcast live somehow? Making it an Auckland-only party won't make the rest of the country happy campers.

GHOST SHARK 2: URBAN JAWS available for download or stream
Senior Contributor at Birth.Movies.Death

2020 Lockdown - "The Quiet Moon" - Science Fiction
2019 - "Schism" - Science Fiction (National finalist; Chch 3rd place + Best Cinematography; Toronto After Dark and Morbido Fest 2019, Chattanooga Film Fest 2020)
2018 - "Utka" - Wish (National finalist; Chch winner + Best Script + Best Animation; Kiev International Short Film Festival 2019 and Abycinitos 2020)
2011-2017 - Christchurch 48HOURS City Manager
2010 - "I Am Single" - Rom-Com (Chch finalist + Best Art Direction)
2009 - "New Fish" - Musical (National runner-up + Best Score, Chch winner)
2008 - "Übermensch" - Horror (Chch finalist)
2007 - "Pain Killer: The Sick Sense" - Superhero (Chch finalist)
ALSO - "As Of Yet Unfinished" (2012, unofficial); "The Contender" (2010, finals intro)

filmdog

Totally agree with Andrew on this one. There MUST be people out there that could coordinate a webcast from events held in each city for the grand nationals? We teed up a bar last year, which was great, but not a lot of teams turned out. Maybe this year?
Would be a shame, as you say Andrew, for it to be Auckland-centric...

2010 Balls & Chain Welly Winner
2009 Extraction
2008 The Chronicles of Long Hung
2007 The Three Little Peggs

Team: Dog Films

Nick Burridge

Had to look into live web streaming for a client recently (actually come to think of it the client was V. Huh, small world) - if where it's viewed doesn't matter, ustream.tv is ridiculously easy to use. Higher quality and branded/embedded players is trickier, and there aren't many decent free solutions.

Ant Timpson

[IGNORE MOST OF THE BELOW - WE HAVE GOOD NEWS COMING]

Losing $200,000 is not fun.

It has screwed us completely in terms of TV and the Grand Final. We really have very little options. We are under-resourced and under-capitalised. We are already in the hole and haven't even paid the major bills yet. We even haven't worked how to find $20,000 for lost registration fees from CHCH.

No one really turned up to watch Grand FInals in venues around the country previously so there's no way we're going to bother with that. I don't think filming the Civic final and streaming will work. It will look like early C4 shows which everyone hated and bitched about for days on the forums. Plus there's no guarantee it wouldn't go down or be a stuttering mess. Live shows work cos they're live. You can control it and the audience has a good time.

Any other options or offers of major resources and money would be greatly appreciated. I want this to satisfy all who are involved but its not just going to be possible.

UPDATE**** We will be live streaming the Grand Final for all to see. But we really want as many people to make the trip that possibly can. Wouldn't it be cool for all of us to celebrate the end together and have a few beers. Bonds would be formed and feature films set in motion etc **