VF48Hours Forum

nimlin
Since: Apr 2011

Feed for this Topic

the trifecta of bullshit

ok people it's obvious no one has had the guts to start this thread so here goes. this thread is set up to defend your film by disagreeing with the judges and the reviewers and also telling your peers what you really thought of their film without upsetting the real review page. insults will be tolerated but be prepared to get back what you give.
let the slanging match begin. ( hey shifty watch this page die )

YouTube has my stuff

http://nz.youtube.com/nimlin

the coffee pixie has been freed! yay! all is good in the world. someone please save Nimlin!
Otaki is the centre of the universe!
(because Aunty Hira said so, and she should know)

IctusMortem
Since: May 2012

in reply to nimlin:

Ah, thankyou muchly :)
About number 5: Yeah, there was supposed to be time passing, one of the other actresses messed up her hair a bit and the other made some minor differences but I agree, it should have been made more clear/obvious.
The product placement wasn't actually product placement, that was our kitchen and how we arranged the V :P . Didn't see why we should move it (especially since one of our actresses/the directors thought her character should be drinking some), but I'll keep it in mind for next time.
Yeah, the word was told to us wrong, I only found out the right words when I was looking at the wellington-blog-thing at 11pm on the Sunday. D: "Nnnnnooooooooooooooooo!!!"

Yay, feedback from people!

themorgan

in reply to IctusMortem:

V cans are the worst because they're so prevalent in the comp (usually in bad shorts). If you want to show a V can on screen do a 48seconds short, otherwise use anything but V in the 48hours.

Frauleins, oh frauleins
2019 | Frank & Beans | Buddy Movie | ULTRA48 | DQ :) | Auckland Winner: Best Disqualified Film
2018 | MUST LOVE BOTS | Anti-RomCom | ULTRA48 | Heat 4 Audience Fav, Auckland Short List, Auckland Finalist: Best Script
2017 | I am ball 2 | Survival | ULTRA48
2016 | The Littlest Punk | Punk | Auckland finalist: Best Original Song
2015 | Crumbs | RomCom, Animated | DQ & Very bad!
2014 | I am ball | Musical, Animated | Auckland finalist: Best Use of Prop
2013 | Crybaby | Race Against Time | Boring!
2012 | S.U.L.A. | Urban Legend | Puppets
2011 | Kill Therapist | Revenge | Writer, Director, Actor | Notorious
2010 | Action Manu | Biopic | Writer, Director | Boring

Fractured Radius
2009 | All's Fair | Musical/Dance | Co-Writer
2008 | The End | Drama | Co-Writer | Auckland winner
2003 | F.I.T. | Cop/Crime | Peripheral

IctusMortem

in reply to themorgan:

I definitely see your point, I'll try not to in future (even if it just happens to be where we were storing the V like what happened this time ;) ).

synthopolis

in reply to themorgan:

otherwise use anything but V in the 48hours.

Alternatively take the product placement of 'V' to ridiculous extremes and base an entire superhero around it.

2011. Just sayin'...

2019 - "Miss Galaxy 3000" - SciFi - (School Team) - Christchurch
2018 - "Blood Red Ted" - The Splatstick Movie - ULTRA48 - Christchurch (DQ'ed)
2017 - "NEXUS 2 - Redemption" - Fantasy/Fairytale - ULTRA48 - Christchurch (DQ'ed)
2016 - "NEXUS" - Dystopian Movie - Christchurch
2015 - "Armabreaddon" - Other Dimension - Christchurch (DQ'ed)
2014 - "Mimicker" - Horror/Splatter - Christchurch
2013 - "Best Served Cold" - Crime - Christchurch
2012 - "Love Grinds" - Romantic Comedy - Christchurch
2011 - "Taurine Rising" - Superhero - Christchurch
2010 - "Silenced Night" - Femme Fatale - Christchurch
2009 - "The Judas Strain" - Conspiracy - Dunedin

IctusMortem

in reply to synthopolis:

Ah, I remember reading on another thread about that... I approve! so the moral of thetory is, if you're gonna do something, take it to the extreme? :D

nimlin

ok here we go again attack people attack!
BRAINS won which is a great achievement as it is a bloody great comedy and it deserved to win BUT! i will stand by my earlier comments that it wasn't a horror film. just saying let the shit now hit the fan :)

YouTube has my stuff

the coffee pixie has been freed! yay! all is good in the world. someone please save Nimlin!

Craig Parkes
Since: Mar 2011

in reply to nimlin:

Nimlin, brains was absolutely a horror film from the point of view of the protagonist. It could have been more horrific certainly, but having a masked character rip you from your loved ones and stab a needle in your brain is horrific no matter who you are, which is exactly what the zombies were afraid of. A horror film can be a horror film even if you don't empathize with the victims.

nimlin

in reply to Craig Parkes:

but having a masked character rip you from your loved ones and stab a needle in your brain is horrific no matter who you are

sounds like an every day occurance in a mortuary to me and i wasn't laughing when i saw that happening.
all i'm saying it was a bloody funny comedy and could make great tv show but it wasn't horror i didn't wince, close my eyes ,miss a heart beat, piss my self and everyone at the screening i saw was laughing from start to end.

YouTube has my stuff

Craig Parkes
Since: Mar 2011

in reply to nimlin:

Horror is a subjective thing, and don't have to be scary to everyone. It was definitely a horror comedy, but even if it was funny (which many horrors are, intentionally or not) It was definitely within the horror genre.

You can't determine whether a film fits into a genre by how an audience reacts to it, you have to base it on content. On that basis you could argue it wasn't a very successful horror if you like, becuse you weren't horrified, but you'd have a hard time arguing it didn't fit inside the constructs of the horror genre.

nimlin

i disagree but there you go. Mel brookes films are all comedies and you can't call them westerns,sci-fi,horror, thrillers etc. i found the same with Brains. but i wouldn't call it a horror. end of, i will now stop flogging a dead horse. Craig we can agree to disagree

YouTube has my stuff

treefrog

in reply to dramamike:

I think you've identified a list that almost every team needs to virtually tick off as they film.
The mistakes are classic and everyone does them at least once and usually more often.

Word.

2009-2015 48 Hours Otago/Southland Manager, all-round filmy geek.
2008 - 'Oh! My Gucci Boots!' - Cats of a Feather - Director -*Best Costuming
2007 - 'ARC' - Schrodghers Cat - D.O.P.
2006 - 'Scarred-The Directors Cut' - Strange Attractor - Audience Favourite

Gregg MacPherson

Horror is a subjective thing, and don't have to be scary to everyone.

I wish that it was. I mean I wish that horror was scary to everyone. There is a general non-sensitisitivity to these images and I wonder what part that horror-comedy as a genre has played in this desensitizing. Regardless of how we culturally modify the meaning of an image, it will always retain some literal visceral value. On the surface the film makers are just playing, using ideas and images of death and decay. Looking deeper, it seems careless to me, and adding hugely to the uglification of the world.

Based on 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place would you say that the micro-culture here is somewhat death and decay obsessive? Or is that too soft an understatement?

I'm not saying this to make provocative fun.

Shifty

Hi peolple , I just want to offer you all my sincere apologies for loosing the plot a while agao. It doesn't happen often but when it does it is usually pretty ugly, especially for me.
If anyone says I don't need to apologize I'll fucking scream, you have been warned! Seriously! You have been warned!

It was unacceptable to me, I hate it when it happens and when it does i usually move onto do sometrhing eles. Unfortunatelllly I'm not olny bloody tired of startting new things but I love film more thann anything eles i have done in the past.

I am prety much back to being right jsut a little further to go. yummy new pills.

I jsut want to publicallly thank nim's for his kind eamils, him and Vyv are bloody good peolple so thanks nimlin.

I know it's no excuse but I've been under a lot of presssure lately, doing the 48 plus finishing the feature film script. Then there's not only having to deal with my German lady on one shoulder but now i have a Russian chick on the other shoulder. that is enough in itself to screw with anyone. my daer sisster constantly points uot my remarkable ability to allow beautiful women into my head so they can play badminton with my brain cellls. it's a gift I guess.

Unfortunately all it took was one spelling mistake to push me over the edge.

Again my apologises peoplpe. None of you deserved to witness that.

However I have been working my arese off writing again and have entered the 50 kisses tthing, probably don't have a show but it was good to write. I hope there are some 48hour teams that have registered to be filmmakers for the 50 selected scripts.

If no one sats anything about this pst I'd be eternallly grateful.

thank you.

2013 - Nimlin Productions - Full House - Obsessive Relationship Movie
2012 - Nimlin Productions - Hira's Tree - Urban Legend
2011 - Divide That By 9 - No Country For Fake Women - Crime
2010 - Off To The Accountant Films - The Meek Shall Inherit - Twin Movie - Regional Finalist

nimlin

welcome home shifty :)

YouTube has my stuff

Rocket Boy

I enjoyed 'Brains?' and thought it a worthy winner however I do agree with nimlin that it was not horror. Wikipedia defines a horror film as 'eliciting a negative emotional reaction from viewers by playing on the audience's most primal fears'.

If it makes you laugh its a comedy, if it makes you cover your eyes and curl up in your chair its horror. But genre bending is part of the game with 48 hours.

I'd be more concerned about the fact the competition is being swamped by teams of professionals, still that's a whole different issue.

IctusMortem

Brains made me horrified at the end (and the build up to it - you could see it coming). The only thing that made me laugh was Nicky Brick having his dating prospects ruined (dark sense of humour) and the "brains... mostly brains" line. Loved the film, for me personally it was actually more horrifying than funny though (a bit like Boy in that regard...).

Speaking of 50 Kisses, who else has entered it? My friend has, but I haven't. I'm not really into romantic movies so I'd end up having to bend my scripts genre/focus a bit which seems against the spirit of the comp. Plus I've already taken on a comic challenge which will suck up some time :D

Shifty

in reply to IctusMortem:

Speaking of 50 Kisses, who else has entered it? My friend has, but I haven't. I'm not really into romantic movies

It diddnt say romantic in the rules it siad any genre
Only threee reqirements.
2 page script.
set on valentinees day night
2 peolple kisss at leeast once.

The kisss of daeth wuold have been accepable.

Too late for the script entry, but not too late to registeer for the filmmaking bit, i think.

2013 - Nimlin Productions - Full House - Obsessive Relationship Movie
2012 - Nimlin Productions - Hira's Tree - Urban Legend
2011 - Divide That By 9 - No Country For Fake Women - Crime
2010 - Off To The Accountant Films - The Meek Shall Inherit - Twin Movie - Regional Finalist

synthopolis

in reply to Shifty:

I hope there are some 48hour teams that have registered to be filmmakers for the 50 selected scripts.

Yup. We have.

2019 - "Miss Galaxy 3000" - SciFi - (School Team) - Christchurch
2018 - "Blood Red Ted" - The Splatstick Movie - ULTRA48 - Christchurch (DQ'ed)
2017 - "NEXUS 2 - Redemption" - Fantasy/Fairytale - ULTRA48 - Christchurch (DQ'ed)
2016 - "NEXUS" - Dystopian Movie - Christchurch
2015 - "Armabreaddon" - Other Dimension - Christchurch (DQ'ed)
2014 - "Mimicker" - Horror/Splatter - Christchurch
2013 - "Best Served Cold" - Crime - Christchurch
2012 - "Love Grinds" - Romantic Comedy - Christchurch
2011 - "Taurine Rising" - Superhero - Christchurch
2010 - "Silenced Night" - Femme Fatale - Christchurch
2009 - "The Judas Strain" - Conspiracy - Dunedin

dramamike

in reply to Shifty:

Welcome back.
You're wisdom was missed.
The forums virtually turned into a ghost town without you

2019 Depart'ners Buddy
2018 Thanks to the Academy Heist Ultra
2017 Forelsket Nutbar Films Buddy Sacrifice
2016 Con Troll Alt Delete Nutbar Films Horror Fan Favourite. City Finalist for Make-Up
2015 Hide and Seek Nutbar Films Mystery
2014 Confessions Nutbar, with a taste of Nimlin Film, within a film
2013 Made Maid Nutbar Films City Finalist for POV Shot Robot/Cyborg/Android
2012 I Still Dream in Colour Nutbar Films Action
2011 Raptured Golden Carrot Films Mystery
2010 Fraternal Fabrication Golden Carrot Films Twin
2009 I love you this much Golden Carrot Films Romance
2008 Luke Walker and the Golden Carrot William Shatner's Pants Animal

nimlin

in reply to dramamike:

BOO! that happens every year after the comp is over. it's only the stragglers that don't have a life that stay here :)

YouTube has my stuff