VF48Hours 2020 Forum

Rastinha
Since: Mar 2014

Feed for this Topic

Solo teams past and present (and duos if you see this)

Hey folks,

On the off chance any of you have time to be on the forum in the lead up, who has done/is doing this solo? None of my team mates are available this year so I'm doing it solo. I've done it 3 or so times as a duo before, but never fully solo.

Horror stories? Advantages? If you did it solo, how did you do your writing process/make decisions? Share your films if you want, too :)

2019: "DopeMonkey Live" - Gross-out Comedy - Pastafarian Productions (Solo/ULTRA)
2018: "Heist School Musical" - Heist Movie - Pastafarian Productions (Regional Best Door Slam)
2017: "ESP" - Alien Movie - Pastafarian Productions (Regional Finalist)
2016: "The War on Error" - Cat & Mouse - Pastafarian Productions (Regional Finalist)
2015: "Us... But Mainly You" - Black Comedy - Pastafarian Productions (Regional Finalist)
2014: "Sphere" - Horror - Pastafarian Productions (Regional Finalist)
2009-2013: MIA
2008: "I Adore" - Drama - Conspiracion de las Palomitas
2007: "The Hazel Princess" - Fairytale - Conspiracion de las Palomitas
2006: "All Ur <3 R Belong 2 Me" - Romance - Popcorn Conspiracy

Rastinha

in reply to DogsBreakfast:

Used a combination of Photoshop design and drawing, character animator for lip-sync, after effects for compositing and fx and premiere for the editing.

This sounds a lot like what I did except I should have gone into premiere to do the final edit as audio is harder to manage in AE, but oh well I survived.

Also, just wanted to let you know that as per this conversation I worked one of your stickers into my film so once we can share them I'll be ready to redeem my bonus points :P

2019: "DopeMonkey Live" - Gross-out Comedy - Pastafarian Productions (Solo/ULTRA)
2018: "Heist School Musical" - Heist Movie - Pastafarian Productions (Regional Best Door Slam)
2016: "The War on Error" - Cat & Mouse - Pastafarian Productions (Regional Finalist)
2015: "Us... But Mainly You" - Black Comedy - Pastafarian Productions (Regional Finalist)

DogsBreakfast
Since: Apr 2011

in reply to Rastinha:

Haha, thatโ€™s awesome! I look forward to seeing it ๐Ÿ˜€

2019 "The Drop" - Secret Identity - ULTRA SOLOish
2018 "Furry" - The Wish Movie - ULTRA DUO - Heat 3 runner up Audience Favourite
2017 "The Grove 2: Survival with a vengeance" - Survival ULTRA
2016 "A Baaaaad Habit" - Bro Movie
2015 "Barry's World" - Other Dimension - Best Animation Auckland region
2014 "Brick Impact" - Race Against the Clock - Auckland Finalist - Heat 5 runner up Audience Favourite
2013 "Frankie goes to Horrorwood" - Horror - Heat 6 - runner up Audience Favourite
2012 "Brick's Quest" - Fantasy Adventure - Heat 8 - Audience Favourite
2011 "Playin the Game" - Mystery
2010 " Syd's Garage - a study in Autoeroticism" - Musical - Heat 4 - Audience Favourite
2009 "Doggone" - Family Movie (was a doggone waste of time)
2008 "Sounds of Romance" - Romance
2007 "The Grove" - Crime - Auckland finalist, best script award

LiamM
Since: May 2015

Did a solo split-screen film this year. Kinda suited my style. I animated one portion using an iPad Pro and filmed the other portion on an iPhone 6s. Viciously drains the battery, so when I had to charge one device, it gave me time to work on the other.

Having said all that, I absolutely did not want Gross-out / Cringe Comedy and feel personally attacked for getting that genre. Please don't bring your kids to my film.

2019 Unsolicited (ULTRA, solo, Gross-out / cringe comedy) | Mitchell's Here - Auckland Nominee: Best Animation
2018 Self-A-Were (Splatstick) | Mitchell's Here - Auckland Nominee: Best Film, Animation/VFX, Script, Sound Design, Use of the Puddle
2017 The Virtual Robber (Crime) | Mitchell's Here
2016 Stuck Together (Bechdel) | Mitchell's Here
2015 Floored (Mystery) | Mitchell's Here - Auckland Nominee: Best Film, Best Female Performance, Best Animation
2014 Particularly Unusual Bedtime Stories (Shock Ending) | Mitchell's Not Here - Auckland Winner: Best Use of Character
2012 According to Plan (Found Footage Rom-Com) | Fail Bagel
2011 Repressed (Horror) | Fail Bagel
2009 SoundshackFM (Real Time) | The Unpredictables
2006 Battle of the Children's Playthings (Puppet) | 8 Ink

Rastinha

in reply to LiamM:

Having said all that, I absolutely did not want Gross-out / Cringe Comedy and feel personally attacked for getting that genre. Please don't bring your kids to my film.

Haha, I feel your pain, I got gross-out comedy too. In Taranaki we had 18 school teams and 8 adult teams. We have 3 heats and my heat has no other adult teams in it, just high school teams. They're either going to love my film, or want to crawl under the seats when it talks about puberty, lol. Luckily the team of 5-9 year olds is in another heat!

LiamM
Since: May 2015

in reply to Rastinha:

We have 3 heats and my heat has no other adult teams in it, just high school teams. They're either going to love my film, or want to crawl under the seats when it talks about puberty, lol.

They should love your film. You're giving them an education. Kia kaha.

2019 Unsolicited (ULTRA, solo, Gross-out / cringe comedy) | Mitchell's Here - Auckland Nominee: Best Animation
2018 Self-A-Were (Splatstick) | Mitchell's Here - Auckland Nominee: Best Film, Animation/VFX, Script, Sound Design, Use of the Puddle
2017 The Virtual Robber (Crime) | Mitchell's Here
2016 Stuck Together (Bechdel) | Mitchell's Here
2015 Floored (Mystery) | Mitchell's Here - Auckland Nominee: Best Film, Best Female Performance, Best Animation
2014 Particularly Unusual Bedtime Stories (Shock Ending) | Mitchell's Not Here - Auckland Winner: Best Use of Character
2012 According to Plan (Found Footage Rom-Com) | Fail Bagel
2011 Repressed (Horror) | Fail Bagel
2009 SoundshackFM (Real Time) | The Unpredictables
2006 Battle of the Children's Playthings (Puppet) | 8 Ink

Ness Patea
Since: May 2011

Well the stats are in and we had 46 solo/duo teams this year, the bug is catching on!

2017 - 2019 - National Operations / Wellington City Manager
2016 - Wellington City Manager
2014 - 48 hours Blogger/Photographer
2012 - 48 hours Blogger/Photographer

Empire of Reason
2015 - Catch of the Day - Cat and Mouse

Traces of Nut
2013 - 'Sleeping Plot' - Crime - National WInner
2011 - 'Ruby Red' - Musical
2008 - 'Half a Horse' - Crime - Best DQed

Electric Pink Company
2010 - 'Fabricator' - Biopic
2009 - 'Electric Pink Company' - Dance

Rastinha

in reply to Ness Patea:

Well the stats are in and we had 46 solo/duo teams this year

Wow that's cool, I guess seeing what other people produce as solo/duos is good inspiration/motivation to give it a go, especially if your team isn't available out something, instead of not participating ๐Ÿ™‚