VF48Hours 2020 Forum

AJ
Since: May 2011

Feed for this Topic

So what was the story behind Lense Flare's burning house?

Unless it's a 'magician never reveals his tricks' type deal, I'm curious as to how LF secured a freakin' burning house for their film?

Did you call up the fire department and hope like hell there would be a fire that day? Or did you straight up burn down a house you owned?

Christchurch City Manager 2018-2019 | My Favourite 48Hour Films | The 48Hours Podcast

Les Cousins Dangereux
2017 Not Again (Alien)
Christchurch Runner-Up | National Finalist (Peter Jackson Wildcard)
2016 A Time and a Place (Time Travel) ( Behind the Scenes Video)
NA
2015 #apocalypse2k15 (The Last Person on Earth) ( Behind the Scenes Video)
Christchurch City Finalist/Best Art Direction
2014 Something New (RomCom)
Christchurch Runner-Up/Best Use of Line/Best Script/Best Original Song/Best Editing | National Best Use of Prop
2013 Bourbon Legends (Crime)
NA

CraigWB
Since: Apr 2011

If I had to guess I would say that someone in the team had some good connections with the fire department featured in the film and that the house in the film was scheduled to be lit on fire for whatever reason so they were able to piggy back the shoot on top of it.

Team Spielberg craigbickerstaff@me.com +64212166821
The longest running non-finalist in the competition.
2019 Burgled on High : Musical ULTRA
2018 The How, The What, The Who and The Why : The Heist Movie ULTRA
2017 Operator Part II Twin Souls : Thriller/Horror One Room ULTRA
2016 The Real Time Movie : What kind of day has it been
2015 Other Dimension Movie : Rift
2014 Race Against the Clock : EIGHT POINT FIVE
2013 Musical : Wolfgang
2012 Horror : The Unrested Soul
2011 One Room (Horror) : Operator -- Audience favourite
2010 Twin Movie : Secrets in Dowsing
2009 M Night Big Twist Film : The Unfinished
2008 Drama : Breakfast at Four
2007 War : Purple Heart
Sakura Productions
2006 Musical : Sardines
2005 Mockumentary : Smuggling for Dummies DQ'ed

Cardinal

Yeah, scheduled training exercise, surely. I guess that no matter what genre they got, the film would have incorporated a fire-department related theme because a) when you have a chance to get a sweet burning house shot into your film, you do it; and b) surely even if you've got connections, you can't bowl up to a fire department casually after 7pm on the Friday night and say "Can we tag along to your burning house thing tomorrow?" (I guess?)

Jared Kahi

Heya, firstly I just have to say we are all still reeling from Friday night. Our whole team had unanomously picked Grand Cheval to take out first place and we were genuinely shocked at the final result, and so humbled to have been in the same running as films like Mi Amgio Mandarena, Flicker, Dead End Job The Ex and Dick Off which were some of our picks for the top spot contenders. Huge congrats to all the winning and nominated teams!

So re the burning house: in the week leading up to the 48 weekend our producer Rachael was researching how to possibly film a burning house for a music video concept we were going to shoot. She just boldly called up the NZ Fire Service and asked around about it.

From what i remember Rachel saying, It turned out that they do a controlled burn of a house for scientific research and training purposes every 5 years or so (Rachel correct me if I got this wrong!) and it happened to be "THIS COMING SATURDAY MORNING"

Because the music video wasn't due to shoot for a few weeks later, Rachel was at first disappointed the timing wouldn't work out,... but then had one of those bolt of lightning realisation moments!

It was an opportunity we couldn't pass up, BUT the whole team agreed on the Friday night that if we came up with a better idea that didn't have a burning house in it we would ditch it immediately. But we ended up going with one of our first ideas of the brainstorm session which is rare for us, also Johnnies Dad is a retired Fireman whose name we used for his character and he's wearing his Dads old uniform which is one of my favourite aspects of why we chose that story, not necessarily the burning house.

Needless to say the Fire Department were amazingly co-operative and open to us filming around them and their facilities. We are so so grateful.

...sorry for the long winded explanation!!! but that's the story behind it anyways!~

steelpotato

Wow Jared that is amazing! Also congrats on the win! :)

Cookie
Since: Mar 2011

There will also be many 48Hours filmmakers keenly viewing Lense Flare's 'Behind the Scenes' video coverage for next year's competition.

'If you only see one movie this year - make sure it's yours!'
If you want a happy ending, that depends of course, where you stop your story

Cardinal

That's pretty awesome. Well done guys and nice one, NZ Fire Dept.

Brendon

That is very cool.

Can't wait till next year.
I'm thinking building demolition?

TBALC / Team Moon

hl

Wrecking ball?

Thanks Jared - good to know. Lots of people ARE asking.

2017 Permanently Confused - Snow Country for Cold Elves
H2Ow Ao-terror-oa
AFK - NZWebfest 2016 Winner