VF48Hours 2020 Forum

Mista Teas
Since: Apr 2011

Feed for this Topic

Review Site

Is updated and is looking sexy. Well done to the team (is that still you, Nick?) who have worked on this! I love some of the new touches (especially the 3 rules) and was shocked to see my review count - 757!!

48HR Reviews

SCREENING NOW: End - Real Time; CHCH25s
REVISIT: The Stile - Star-crossed Lovers; ULTRA48; CHCH25s

Everything Sticks since 2008
48Hr Films 2008-2019 48Sec Films 2008-2016

Mista Teas (Stu Gilpin) NATIONAL WINNER "Best/Most Prolific Reviewer" 2011 REVIEWS ARCHIVE

TheNimbleMarmoset
Since: May 2012

in reply to Cinema In Mind:

ACTUALLY... You know even an option to add a Poster or Frame of the film to our films review page (so it appears next to our films name for that year) would be awesome. It's always hard looking at a films name and trying to remember what the film was about - and a pic / poster would probably help us all remember it better.

Terrific idea, I second this. Set it up so it's an option the team can do at the same time as they're signed in with their password entering the blurb about their film, and the image would appear alongside that blurb.

SOUTH JERSEY GHOST RESEARCH
2019 - "Catman and Robyn" (The Secret Identity Movie)
2018 - "Cushy: A Pull Story" (The Film That Spans More Than Ten Years)

TBALC
2017 - "Down 2 The Wire". . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2016 - "Down To The Wire" (Bechdel)
2016 - "Windows" (Mystery). . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2011 - "Band Of Bullies" (Quest)
2015 - "The Silent Man" (Mystery). . . . . . . . . . . . . . .2010 - "I Am Single" (Rom Com)
2014 - "The Ex" (Rom Com). . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2009 - "New Fish" (Musical)
2013 - "Quarrelsome Heat" (Action/Adventure). . . 2008 - "Übermensch" (Horror)
2012 - "Nicky + Eve 19/5" (One Shot) . . . . . . . . . . .2007 - "Pain-Killer: The Sick Sense" (Superhero)

EVIL GENIUS LABS
2005 - "Bruised Gold" (Documentary)

Nick Burridge

in reply to Cinema In Mind:

First up would be, to have a link at the top of the page to get back to 48 hours hope page?... always seems like I'm looking around for a link when I'm finished and I can't find one. Also, a link to the Screening room AND vice versa - having a link to the reviews page of the film you're watching in the screening room would be awesome.

I'll try and find a sensible place for a main site link to go but I'm not sure yet.
We used to have a little bit of bi-directionality between the screening room and reviews (I think 2014 and earlier) but given they're maintained separately it got a bit hard to maintain. Now that we share a database it might return... I'll see what can be done when films start getting uploaded for this year.

ACTUALLY... You know even an option to add a Poster or Frame of the film to our films review page (so it appears next to our films name for that year) would be awesome.

Maybe...

Any chance the review site could have a Mobile version available on the day of reviews, so we could review once we're out of the cinema? We had something like that last year I thought or?

This latest update of the site should be a lot more mobile friendly, so you shouldn't have any trouble reviewing off your phone (a box pops up on the home page too with heats that were within the last 2 days to make it easier to find yours). One thing I was kicking around last year was offering downloadable pre-filled scorecard PDFs with team/film names etc, for people to print and take along to heats, but it's a lot of work to implement.

videoamp1969
Since: May 2011

Hey Nick, any idea why when you click on a heat the order of the films playing keeps changing? Sometimes you look and a film is at the top of the list then you look another time and it's in a different position. Was checking to see the order of the night but looks like it's just random and has nothing to do with the order on the review site? Cheers

2019TIC - Tatooed Banjos-
2019TIC - Kitty Gorls-
2019 TIC - The Thirteen-
2019 TIC - Girls-
2019 TIC - Fresh Prince of Bel Air-
2019 TIC - Round Table Productions-
2019 Editor - Nang Sun-
2018 Editor - The Reality Wizards-"Speak Up"
2018 TIC - Titanic Swim Team-"Balloon"
2018 TIC - Utopia Studios-"The Game of Life"
2018 TIC - Round Table Productions-"Death by Natural Causes"
2018 TIC - The Thirteen-"An Unfortunate Development"
2018 TIC - Tattooed Banjos-"Installing"
2018 TIC - Silver Stars-"The Black Phantom"
2017 TIC - Round Table Productions- "???"
TIC - The Three Shushes- "Damsel"
2017 TIC - Lame Name- "Logan the Bogan" (3rd Audience Favourite)
2017 TIC - Pingkee and The Pitts- "Fierce"
2016 TIC - Team Wannab- "Strings Attached" (City Winner -Spirit of the Competition Award. Nominated for; Best Make Up, Best School Team)
TIC - Af Rican Good Time- "Guess Who?" (2nd Audience Favourite, Nominated for, Best School Team)
TIC - Abra Cadaver- "Charlie's Psychosis" (2nd Audience Favourite)
TIC - The Rowing Team "Wool they wake up?"
2015 TIC - Tanfastic- "Command"
2015 TIC - The Darkest Timeline- "Walking in Pain"
2014 TIC - Vatican Daycare- "Slumber" (Audience Favourite, Nominated for;
Best Cinematography, Rialto Rising Talent, Best School Team)

2014 TIC - Proximity- "Relapse"
2014 TIC - Chookie- "The Diary of Morgan Foster"
2013 TIC - Procrasti Nation- "Joker" (City Winner - Incredibly Strange Best Bad Film)
2013 TIC - 2 Cameras 1 Film- "The Way Forward?" (Audience Favourite)
2013 TIC - Man Over The Fence- "Drama Queen"
2013 TIC - Is That Kaiapoi?!- "Inside The Mind"
2012 TIC - JK-"Lucky in Love" (National Winner - Rialto Rising Talent Award, Audience Favourite)
2012 TIC - Dividing by Zero- "Shadow in the Woods" (Nominated for City-Incredibly Strange Best Bad Film)
2012 TIC - Who Gave Us That Camera Bro- "Can You Be A SuperHero? (2nd Audience Favourite)
2012 TIC - Stickey Fingers- "Before the devil knows ur dead"
2011 TIC - Da Decepticons- "Kylie's Corner" (2nd Audience Favourite)
2011 TIC -The Filthy Ninjas- "Burden of our Memories"

Nick Burridge

in reply to videoamp1969:

Hey everyone, I've added posters to the team comment form... if you add one it'll display alongside your film, as well as get sorted into a random little sliding block on the front page to try draw some more attention to different films.

Hey Nick, any idea why when you click on a heat the order of the films playing keeps changing?

Probably a bug... in the past I've hand-input the screening order for each heat so the films are in order but haven't done that this year so it's getting confused... I've changed it to sort by team name alphabetically so should stop switching around now!

Rastinha
Since: Mar 2014

in reply to Nick Burridge:

Hey everyone, I've added posters to the team comment form...

Awesome! Hopefully having that feature there, along with the poster competitions, will help get more people into the poster game (and reviews game, if they'd just swap out that "News" link on the homepage!) in coming years :)

2019: "DopeMonkey Live" - Gross-out Comedy - Pastafarian Productions (Solo/ULTRA)
2018: "Heist School Musical" - Heist Movie - Pastafarian Productions (Regional Best Door Slam)
2017: "ESP" - Alien Movie - Pastafarian Productions (Regional Finalist)
2016: "The War on Error" - Cat & Mouse - Pastafarian Productions (Regional Finalist)
2015: "Us... But Mainly You" - Black Comedy - Pastafarian Productions (Regional Finalist)
2014: "Sphere" - Horror - Pastafarian Productions (Regional Finalist)
2009-2013: MIA
2008: "I Adore" - Drama - Conspiracion de las Palomitas
2007: "The Hazel Princess" - Fairytale - Conspiracion de las Palomitas
2006: "All Ur <3 R Belong 2 Me" - Romance - Popcorn Conspiracy

TheNimbleMarmoset

Hey everyone, I've added posters to the team comment form... if you add one it'll display alongside your film, as well as get sorted into a random little sliding block on the front page to try draw some more attention to different films.

This is fantastic Nick. It may seem like a small thing, but we humans are rather visual creatures, so I think this might make the reviews interface come alive a bit more for people. Love the front page sliding block of posters too - definitely a good incentive to make a poster!

TBALC
2017 - "Down 2 The Wire". . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2016 - "Down To The Wire" (Bechdel)
2016 - "Windows" (Mystery). . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2011 - "Band Of Bullies" (Quest)
2015 - "The Silent Man" (Mystery). . . . . . . . . . . . . . .2010 - "I Am Single" (Rom Com)
2014 - "The Ex" (Rom Com). . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2009 - "New Fish" (Musical)
2012 - "Nicky + Eve 19/5" (One Shot) . . . . . . . . . . .2007 - "Pain-Killer: The Sick Sense" (Superhero)

EVIL GENIUS LABS

steelpotato

All Wellington films so far reviewed. Whew! :)

steppenwolf
Since: Jun 2013

review site's lookin' slick.

couldn't enter the competition myself this year so I'll review all the Hamilton films, rather than all the Hamilton films bar one.
(cos someone has to, eh?)

Ham East Bad Boys // Kirikiriroa 2016-
DAMN HELL ASS KINGS // Pōneke 2012-2015

ruth

Ness and I will be reviewing all the wellington films once finalists have been announced...

TheNimbleMarmoset

Hey Nick, another question for ya - as far as reviewer stats go, what does "points" mean? Number of reviews and number of subscriptions, those are clear enough, but no idea on the points thing. (I had 0 points yesterday, and I now have 1 point today.)

TBALC

EVIL GENIUS LABS

AJ

in reply to TheNimbleMarmoset:

My guess is that now that there is an upvote/downvote system a point means one of your reviews got upvoted.

Christchurch City Manager 2018-2019 | My Favourite 48Hour Films | The 48Hours Podcast

Les Cousins Dangereux
2017 Not Again (Alien)
Christchurch Runner-Up | National Finalist (Peter Jackson Wildcard)
2016 A Time and a Place (Time Travel) ( Behind the Scenes Video)
NA
2015 #apocalypse2k15 (The Last Person on Earth) ( Behind the Scenes Video)
Christchurch City Finalist/Best Art Direction
2014 Something New (RomCom)
Christchurch Runner-Up/Best Use of Line/Best Script/Best Original Song/Best Editing | National Best Use of Prop
2013 Bourbon Legends (Crime)
NA

Strange
Since: Apr 2013

What about merging the screening room and reviews site?

Love the site, its working really well, But also:

When a film is uploaded to the screening room could a link be added to that films review profile? (I’m hoping to review more films once they are available on the screening room)

Also, when viewing one films review profile, it would be great to have next and previous buttons to go to go through the heats that way. So you can review one, hit next and review from there, rather than going back to a list of the heats and figuring out which one comes next

Either that or, last year once you had reviewed a film the link to review that film would have a strike through so it was easy to see what you had and hadn’t reviewed.

Love the addition of the poster. Really really nice.

Aaaand, i tried to ad an emoji to one review but the site rejected it. Probably put it low on the list of things to change but it would be nice to be able to use emoji ?

2018- The Marquis de Sade The Monster Movie
2017 - Pandora's Night The Alien Film & Behind The Scenes The At Night Movie
2016 - Every Romance Trailer Ever Rom-Com
2015 - The Intervention Shock Ending
2014 - Steak and Cheese Lies Puzzle/Mystery Film
2013 - Prey: A Tale From The Future Robot/Cyborg/Android Film
2012 - True. Inspirational Film
2011 - The Kids Next Door Revenge Film
2010 - Take 4 Ghost Film

steelpotato

Today's Wellington films done. Whew. Heat 5 was ridiculously strong

TheNimbleMarmoset

in reply to AJ:

My guess is that now that there is an upvote/downvote system a point means one of your reviews got upvoted.

Oh, haha, didn't even notice those upvote things were there! But yeah, that makes sense, thanks. :)

TBALC

EVIL GENIUS LABS

steelpotato

Seems like a lot of reviews have suddenly got duplicate entries....

Joel_Tempero
Since: May 2018

in reply to steelpotato:

If you look at the total reviews number then you'll see it's different to the ones you see, so it must be a bug, isn't having influence on the score though.

rip focus - Team Leader
2019 - "a nipple in time" (Time-Travel)
2018 - "A Slice of You" (Anti-Rom Com)
2017 - "A Ripple in Time" (Sci-Fi)

Bus Stop Studios (School Team) - Team Leader
2016- "Knitting, Crochet & Embroidery" (Puppet)
2015- "Harper's Curiosity" (Mystery)

Nick Burridge

in reply to Strange:

When a film is uploaded to the screening room could a link be added to that films review profile? (I’m hoping to review more films once they are available on the screening room)

Yes, I'm looking at bring back some sort of screening room integration... stay tuned.

Either that or, last year once you had reviewed a film the link to review that film would have a strike through so it was easy to see what you had and hadn’t reviewed.

Apologies, didn't realise this had stopped working - just patched this so hopefully it starts working again, let me know if not.

Correct! (Although upvote-only currently, no downvotes) It's there as a bit of an experiment to give people a way to say thanks for a review, and let reviewers know their words are being read/appreciated.

If you look at the total reviews number then you'll see it's different to the ones you see, so it must be a bug, isn't having influence on the score though.

It was indeed a bug, hopefully squashed now.

TheNimbleMarmoset

Correct! (Although upvote-only currently, no downvotes) It's there as a bit of an experiment to give people a way to say thanks for a review, and let reviewers know their words are being read/appreciated.

How do we see which reviews have been upvoted? Nothing seems to show alongside any of the reviews; all I can see is the points total up the top.

TBALC

EVIL GENIUS LABS

Nick Burridge

in reply to TheNimbleMarmoset:

How do we see which reviews have been upvoted? Nothing seems to show alongside any of the reviews; all I can see is the points total up the top.

Didn't think about that! I've just added a popup so when you hover over your points score at the top - that'll give you your top 5 reviews (by total upvotes) and their individual scores.

I've also just added some very basic one-way screening room functionality... you should start to see 'Watch this film in the screening room' links start to pop up on film review pages as they are slowly uploaded. Integration going the other way (from Screening Room to Reviews) isn't under my control sorry.

TheNimbleMarmoset

Didn't think about that! I've just added a popup so when you hover over your points score at the top - that'll give you your top 5 reviews (by total upvotes) and their individual scores.

Thanks, that's handy.

TBALC

EVIL GENIUS LABS