VF48Hours Forum

Mista Teas
Since: Apr 2011

Feed for this Topic

Review Site

Is updated and is looking sexy. Well done to the team (is that still you, Nick?) who have worked on this! I love some of the new touches (especially the 3 rules) and was shocked to see my review count - 757!!

48HR Reviews

COMING SOON: End - Real Time; CHCH25s
REVISIT: The Stile - Star-crossed Lovers; ULTRA48; CHCH25s

Everything Sticks since 2008
48Hr Films 2008-2019 48Sec Films 2008-2016

Mista Teas (Stu Gilpin) NATIONAL WINNER "Best/Most Prolific Reviewer" 2011 REVIEWS ARCHIVE

steelpotato

Yeah it's looking good! 672 reviews for me :) (none from 2014 when I was judging and I never got around to writing up last year's films.... whoops)

Nick Burridge

Yep it's me again! Thanks guys - as always let me know if there's anything I can include on the site to make your lives easier.

Couple of new things this year besides the paint job - I'm trialling an upvote/points system to give people a way of saying thanks for a review & rewarding constructive content. We're also tied into the central 48Hours registration database now, for (near) live updating of team info/heat placement etc, so you can hassle your city managers instead of me if your film is displayed in the wrong section!

Are you planning on reviewing all of Dunedin again Stu? I'm surprised to see no reviews at all on Heat 1 yet.

Mista Teas

in reply to steelpotato:

and I never got around to writing up last year's films.... whoops)

Hey, your placeholder reviews are great! :)

Mista Teas (Stu Gilpin) NATIONAL WINNER "Best/Most Prolific Reviewer" 2011 REVIEWS ARCHIVE

dramamike

I'd love to see a tab that takes us to the reviews on the top of the 48 hours home page.

2019 Depart'ners Buddy
2018 Thanks to the Academy Heist Ultra
2017 Forelsket Nutbar Films Buddy Sacrifice
2016 Con Troll Alt Delete Nutbar Films Horror Fan Favourite. City Finalist for Make-Up
2015 Hide and Seek Nutbar Films Mystery
2014 Confessions Nutbar, with a taste of Nimlin Film, within a film
2013 Made Maid Nutbar Films City Finalist for POV Shot Robot/Cyborg/Android
2012 I Still Dream in Colour Nutbar Films Action
2011 Raptured Golden Carrot Films Mystery
2010 Fraternal Fabrication Golden Carrot Films Twin
2009 I love you this much Golden Carrot Films Romance
2008 Luke Walker and the Golden Carrot William Shatner's Pants Animal

Mista Teas

in reply to Nick Burridge:

Are you planning on reviewing all of Dunedin again Stu? I'm surprised to see no reviews at all on Heat 1 yet.

Ha, ha - I've never done Dunedin reviews at screenings (done a few via the Screening Room though).

I'm in CHCH...NZs No1 48HR Community :) So, yeah, I'm going to do the 8 heats here.

Rastinha
Since: Mar 2014

+1 for the link on the homepage to the reviews page, right next to Screening Room ideally. I try my best every year to get Taranaki folks to come write reviews, but there are usually just a couple of us. I try to do every film myself (I'm no expert, but figure I can manage constructive criticism laced with positive encouragement to try to grow the region!). Going to be harder with only a final since I'll want to pay attention to them too, and we're usually in a little theater with tables for the heats :)

But yeah, it would probably be good to see the link on the homepage so people don't have to remember what to type in. Would also be great to see regular pushes over next few weeks from 48 Hours Facebook page encouraging people to write reviews :)

2019: "DopeMonkey Live" - Gross-out Comedy - Pastafarian Productions (Solo/ULTRA)
2018: "Heist School Musical" - Heist Movie - Pastafarian Productions (Regional Best Door Slam)
2017: "ESP" - Alien Movie - Pastafarian Productions (Regional Finalist)
2016: "The War on Error" - Cat & Mouse - Pastafarian Productions (Regional Finalist)
2015: "Us... But Mainly You" - Black Comedy - Pastafarian Productions (Regional Finalist)
2014: "Sphere" - Horror - Pastafarian Productions (Regional Finalist)
2009-2013: MIA
2008: "I Adore" - Drama - Conspiracion de las Palomitas
2007: "The Hazel Princess" - Fairytale - Conspiracion de las Palomitas
2006: "All Ur <3 R Belong 2 Me" - Romance - Popcorn Conspiracy

Nick Burridge

in reply to dramamike:

I'd love to see a tab that takes us to the reviews on the top of the 48 hours home page.

I have asked for them to swap out Screening Room for Reviews in the top bar until the city finals get announced (as no-one can upload their films till then!) but not sure if it's possible.

TheNimbleMarmoset
Since: May 2012

I have asked for them to swap out Screening Room for Reviews in the top bar until the city finals get announced (as no-one can upload their films till then!) but not sure if it's possible.

I dunno, probably makes sense to not be changing the top bar options around all the time. My personal preference would be to replace NEWS with REVIEWS, since the news content is just replicated on the main page anyway.

SOUTH JERSEY GHOST RESEARCH
2019 - "Catman and Robyn" (The Secret Identity Movie)
2018 - "Cushy: A Pull Story" (The Film That Spans More Than Ten Years)

TBALC
2017 - "Down 2 The Wire". . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2016 - "Down To The Wire" (Bechdel)
2016 - "Windows" (Mystery). . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2011 - "Band Of Bullies" (Quest)
2015 - "The Silent Man" (Mystery). . . . . . . . . . . . . . .2010 - "I Am Single" (Rom Com)
2014 - "The Ex" (Rom Com). . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2009 - "New Fish" (Musical)
2013 - "Quarrelsome Heat" (Action/Adventure). . . 2008 - "Übermensch" (Horror)
2012 - "Nicky + Eve 19/5" (One Shot) . . . . . . . . . . .2007 - "Pain-Killer: The Sick Sense" (Superhero)

EVIL GENIUS LABS
2005 - "Bruised Gold" (Documentary)

Mista Teas

in reply to TheNimbleMarmoset:

My personal preference would be to replace NEWS with REVIEWS

Yeah I agree, News is a bit redundant in that bar.

Mista Teas

As has been the case in previous years, Team leaders can add a "Team Comment" by putting in their wrap-up password. This often gets overlooked but is really helpful if it includes a brief synopsis or tag-line. It also gives teams the opportunity to explain themselves a bit without doing it in the review section!

videoamp1969
Since: May 2011

Yeah review site looks great. Hey came on to check out the Dunedin reviews, none up yet, any ideas why?

2019TIC - Tatooed Banjos-
2019TIC - Kitty Gorls-
2019 TIC - The Thirteen-
2019 TIC - Girls-
2019 TIC - Fresh Prince of Bel Air-
2019 TIC - Round Table Productions-
2019 Editor - Nang Sun-
2018 Editor - The Reality Wizards-"Speak Up"
2018 TIC - Titanic Swim Team-"Balloon"
2018 TIC - Utopia Studios-"The Game of Life"
2018 TIC - Round Table Productions-"Death by Natural Causes"
2018 TIC - The Thirteen-"An Unfortunate Development"
2018 TIC - Tattooed Banjos-"Installing"
2018 TIC - Silver Stars-"The Black Phantom"
2017 TIC - Round Table Productions- "???"
TIC - The Three Shushes- "Damsel"
2017 TIC - Lame Name- "Logan the Bogan" (3rd Audience Favourite)
2017 TIC - Pingkee and The Pitts- "Fierce"
2016 TIC - Team Wannab- "Strings Attached" (City Winner -Spirit of the Competition Award. Nominated for; Best Make Up, Best School Team)
TIC - Af Rican Good Time- "Guess Who?" (2nd Audience Favourite, Nominated for, Best School Team)
TIC - Abra Cadaver- "Charlie's Psychosis" (2nd Audience Favourite)
TIC - The Rowing Team "Wool they wake up?"
2015 TIC - Tanfastic- "Command"
2015 TIC - The Darkest Timeline- "Walking in Pain"
2014 TIC - Vatican Daycare- "Slumber" (Audience Favourite, Nominated for;
Best Cinematography, Rialto Rising Talent, Best School Team)

2014 TIC - Proximity- "Relapse"
2014 TIC - Chookie- "The Diary of Morgan Foster"
2013 TIC - Procrasti Nation- "Joker" (City Winner - Incredibly Strange Best Bad Film)
2013 TIC - 2 Cameras 1 Film- "The Way Forward?" (Audience Favourite)
2013 TIC - Man Over The Fence- "Drama Queen"
2013 TIC - Is That Kaiapoi?!- "Inside The Mind"
2012 TIC - JK-"Lucky in Love" (National Winner - Rialto Rising Talent Award, Audience Favourite)
2012 TIC - Dividing by Zero- "Shadow in the Woods" (Nominated for City-Incredibly Strange Best Bad Film)
2012 TIC - Who Gave Us That Camera Bro- "Can You Be A SuperHero? (2nd Audience Favourite)
2012 TIC - Stickey Fingers- "Before the devil knows ur dead"
2011 TIC - Da Decepticons- "Kylie's Corner" (2nd Audience Favourite)
2011 TIC -The Filthy Ninjas- "Burden of our Memories"

Kawiti Naitoro
Since: May 2013

Be the change you want to see in the world. Write a review even if you didn't see the film.

summer co
2018 | in the woods (star crossed lovers)
chch city finalist
nominated best cinematography
best professional drone operator NZ official

"I didn't vote for you. lol. "

"I prefer JAGBOGs film"

" I just feel like you guys were mad you got that genre (star crossed lovers) and decided to throw a tantrum and do the stupidest thing you could"

- Alexander Jones, Christchurch City Manager

sneaky horses
2014 | second skin (fantasy)
AJ's favourite 48hour films

"Wow the cinematography is beautiful! I can't believe this didn't make city finals."

- Alexander Jones, Christchurch City Manager

(comment on the screening room)

2013 | lend me a vein (musical)

"no comment"

- Alexander Jones , Christchurch City Manager

TheNimbleMarmoset

in reply to Kawiti Naitoro:

Be the change you want to see in the world. Write a review even if you didn't see the film.

"Good effort from this team. I especially liked how the film was between 1 and 5 minutes long, bore some relation to the genre they were given, and incorporated the required elements in some way."

TBALC
2017 - "Down 2 The Wire". . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2016 - "Down To The Wire" (Bechdel)
2016 - "Windows" (Mystery). . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2011 - "Band Of Bullies" (Quest)
2015 - "The Silent Man" (Mystery). . . . . . . . . . . . . . .2010 - "I Am Single" (Rom Com)
2014 - "The Ex" (Rom Com). . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2009 - "New Fish" (Musical)
2012 - "Nicky + Eve 19/5" (One Shot) . . . . . . . . . . .2007 - "Pain-Killer: The Sick Sense" (Superhero)

EVIL GENIUS LABS

TheNimbleMarmoset

Hey Nick! The search functionality on the reviews site is currently a bit strange - the top-line search is just "FIND A FILM ...", but I assume that most people are like me and want to view things by cities, heats, etc., and to access that you have to go to the text on the frontpage and click on a hyperlink in there (unless I'm missing an easier way).

Would it be possible to incorporate the city/heat search functionality into the top search bar? Maybe have the first field be something like "Search by:", with Film Title, Team Name, Year and City (or similar) being drop-down options to choose from.

TBALC

EVIL GENIUS LABS

Nick Burridge

in reply to TheNimbleMarmoset:

Hey Nick! The search functionality on the reviews site is currently a bit strange - the top-line search is just "FIND A FILM ...", but I assume that most people are like me and want to view things by cities, heats, etc., and to access that you have to go to the text on the frontpage and click on a hyperlink in there (unless I'm missing an easier way).

You're right that it's not obvious - technically the dropdown right next to the search box takes you to the City/Heat browsing table for each year, but since I've had it default to 2018 the functionality isn't really clear. I've changed that to default to 'Browse', and if you select 2018 (or any other year) you'll get the City > Heat breakdown (the same one the front page text links to).

TheNimbleMarmoset

You're right that it's not obvious - technically the dropdown right next to the search box takes you to the City/Heat browsing table for each year, but since I've had it default to 2018 the functionality isn't really clear. I've changed that to default to 'Browse', and if you select 2018 (or any other year) you'll get the City > Heat breakdown (the same one the front page text links to).

Ah okay cool - I didn't even notice the drop-down before. I wonder if changing the wording to "Browse by heat" might make things clearer?

TBALC

EVIL GENIUS LABS

toowit toowoo
Since: May 2011

Wow, great to see our town's lack of reviews getting so much attention! I'll endeavor to write some heat 3 reviews for Dunedin, unfortunately could't make the first two heats because they were after bed time!

2019: Banana Split (Coming of Age) ULTRA DUO
2018: The Land Before Rhyme (Musical) ULTRA DUO
2017: Glasnost 2: Blood Moon (Supernatural) ULTRA
2016: Chasing Tail (Cat & Mouse)
2015: Glasnost (Buddy)
2014: Entropy (Time Travel)
2013: Lights. Camera. Wasteland. (Reunion)
2012: A Grave Mistake (Horror)
2011: Keeping Station (One Room (Mystery))
2010: aVatar : A sign from Guarana (V48Seconds)
2010: Alex's Puddle: The Peequel (Ghost)
2009: Alex's Puddle (Big Twist)
2008: Lucky Break (Drama)

Mista Teas

in reply to toowit toowoo:

I'll endeavor to write some heat 3 reviews for Dunedin

Great to hear! I've been dying to read some reviews.

Cinema In Mind
Since: Sep 2017

Hi Nick,

I have a couple of suggestions for the Review site.

First up would be, to have a link at the top of the page to get back to 48 hours hope page?... always seems like I'm looking around for a link when I'm finished and I can't find one. Also, a link to the Screening room AND vice versa - having a link to the reviews page of the film you're watching in the screening room would be awesome.

Lastly, be really cool, if a link to the film (i.e. the screening room where we can view the films) could be added to the films review page - I know it would be kinda useless until after the finalists are announced etc, but would be great to be able to watch the older films and review them if we wish - even if its post the comp... and being able to have a link directly to watch the film from the review page would be cool...

ACTUALLY... You know even an option to add a Poster or Frame of the film to our films review page (so it appears next to our films name for that year) would be awesome. It's always hard looking at a films name and trying to remember what the film was about - and a pic / poster would probably help us all remember it better.

Cinetrance
2018: Glitch - [Ultra] - Wellington Finalist; Nominated: Best Film, Best Cinematography, Best Editing, Best Sound Design, Best VFX/Animation, Best Production Design, Best use of Silhouette
2017: Indelible - [Ultra]- Wellington Finalist; Nominated: Best Film, Best Cinematography, Best Editing, Best Music, Best Make-up
2016: The Tender Grace - National Winner: Best Cinematography & Best Actor
2015: Cabin Fever - DQ'd - Tech issue - Did not submit in time
2014: Irrevocable - National PJ Wild Card; 1st Runner-up Wellington; Wellington Winner: Best Cinematography, Best Script, Sexiest short; Nominated: Best Director, Best Editing, Best Music.
2013: Mother's day
2012: Playback
2011: Plover - DQ'd - Tech issue - Did not submit in time

Cinema In Mind
Since: Sep 2017

Oh yeah one last thought - Any chance the review site could have a Mobile version available on the day of reviews, so we could review once we're out of the cinema? We had something like that last year I thought or?

Cinetrance
2018: Glitch - [Ultra] - Wellington Finalist; Nominated: Best Film, Best Cinematography, Best Editing, Best Sound Design, Best VFX/Animation, Best Production Design, Best use of Silhouette
2017: Indelible - [Ultra]- Wellington Finalist; Nominated: Best Film, Best Cinematography, Best Editing, Best Music, Best Make-up
2016: The Tender Grace - National Winner: Best Cinematography & Best Actor
2015: Cabin Fever - DQ'd - Tech issue - Did not submit in time
2014: Irrevocable - National PJ Wild Card; 1st Runner-up Wellington; Wellington Winner: Best Cinematography, Best Script, Sexiest short; Nominated: Best Director, Best Editing, Best Music.
2013: Mother's day
2012: Playback
2011: Plover - DQ'd - Tech issue - Did not submit in time