VF48Hours 2020 Forum

dramamike
Since: Apr 2011

Feed for this Topic

Reflection?

So, as the dust has started to settle for the majority of teams, what's the consensus on the comp this year?

There were rumours of lots of curve balls, that, for me, never eventuated. I'm intrigued to see how the team with an extra 48 minutes went. I suspect it didn't impact at all- but was a great way of building hype and testing flows.

I don't mind when it is (April or September). It appears (no stats or information- just gut), that numbers were okay, despite the delays.

Thoughts for next year?

2019 Depart'ners Buddy
2018 Thanks to the Academy Heist Ultra
2017 Forelsket Nutbar Films Buddy Sacrifice
2016 Con Troll Alt Delete Nutbar Films Horror Fan Favourite. City Finalist for Make-Up
2015 Hide and Seek Nutbar Films Mystery
2014 Confessions Nutbar, with a taste of Nimlin Film, within a film
2013 Made Maid Nutbar Films City Finalist for POV Shot Robot/Cyborg/Android
2012 I Still Dream in Colour Nutbar Films Action
2011 Raptured Golden Carrot Films Mystery
2010 Fraternal Fabrication Golden Carrot Films Twin
2009 I love you this much Golden Carrot Films Romance
2008 Luke Walker and the Golden Carrot William Shatner's Pants Animal

hl

5mins pushes for action to happen quicker. The team had to ADR everything as it was raining like a mofo - and didnt have the facilities - so had to do best guess with the puppets.

2017 Permanently Confused - Snow Country for Cold Elves
H2Ow Ao-terror-oa
AFK - NZWebfest 2016 Winner

Sean O'Connor
Since: May 2011

Smoothest shoot of my 8 years so far and I guess a final place shows how relaxed it was.

Read a first draft around 1am and then a changed version on the Saturday morning on arrival at 'set'. Felt the well of emotion at that point, knew from the people we had that it would look and sound great regardless. Decent actors' (hopefully my performance was ok Lol), so knew we had something potentially special.

Great interpretation of the genre in my view and 9 hours later, we were done. Wrapped by 7pm on the Saturday.

For me, one of my favourite roles in my 50 or so shorts' in my 8 years' acting.

The shorter running time has meant story compression and it seems screenwriters' really focusing on simplicity, from what I've seen and heard.

A great year for us. First time team in the 48.

All the best to everyone in Auckland tomorrow and all the other Regional Finals.

Actor (Various Teams)
2018 | Angle3 Pictures | The Film That Spans More Than 10 Years | Healing Water
2017 | Angle3 Pictures | Survival | Stand Up
2016 | Angle3 Pictures | Puppet | Finest Creation (Grand National Finalist)
2015 | Oral Bennetians | Other Dimension | Driveby Stigmata and the Last Communion
2014 | Shoestring | Revenge | If You Can Get Blood
2013 | Battlesoup | Action | Henchmen
2012 | Big Red Fire Truck | Found Footage | Broken Clover
2011 | FRC Productions | Fad | You Reckon?
2010 | Oral Bennetians | Road Movie | Driveby Stigmata (Best National DQ'd Film)
2009 | Family | Wizard Boy II

Calvin Sang

Our team is PickleThugs, we got the extra 48 minutes. We ended up not needing it at all and were at the hand in before 7pm anyway. But it was good knowing we had some extra time in case traffic was bad!

I felt like there wasn't any major curveballs this year either. No elements that were too crazy to incorporate.

The comp definitely felt smaller in Auckland this year though. I think it's about 2/3 of the size.

Sam Spooner
Since: May 2012

Yeah Aucklands numbers were wayyyyyyyy down, I'm usually in heat 20ish, this year I was in the last heat, 13. The change in time of year did nothing for the weather here in Auckland either, so we shot all but one shot indoors on a green screen.

The 5min running times were awesome, I think it helped everyone in my heat, even the stinkers somehow smell fresher when they aren't around for as long.

Easily the most relaxed shoot I have had for a 48 hour film, I don't know if the reduced time had much to do with that or not, there were plenty of other factors that made it easier, such as the reduced number of teams meant it was way easier to source actors at the last minute. Also, the reduced numbers are probably partly to blame for us getting 2 nominations versus our usual 0. So I like it being later in the year but not for reasons that are necessarily good for the comp.

TOMORROW TODAY
2017 - ADAD2: The Wizarding - Crime Ultra
Two Big Tools
2016 - Mind Camp - Dystopian Film 3rd Audience Favorite, Winner of The Incredibly Strange Award(Auckland), nominated for Best Original Song(Auckland), nominated for The Incredibly Strange Award(National)
2015 - A Dame A Dozen - Mystery Film(but really all of the genres) 2nd Audience Favorite
2014 - 20q - Mystery Film 3rd Audience Favorite
2013 - NZSS - Converging Storylines Film 3rd Audience Favorite
2012 - The Brick - Superhero Film Audience Favorite First Equal

Nick Burridge

in reply to Sam Spooner:

Yeah Aucklands numbers were wayyyyyyyy down, I'm usually in heat 20ish, this year I was in the last heat, 13. The change in time of year did nothing for the weather here in Auckland either, so we shot all but one shot indoors on a green screen.

Also bear in mind this year we had 15 teams per heat (due to the shorter running time), last year averaged 12-13.

alexliu
Since: Oct 2016

Wellington numbers seemed to be down this year too.

Our shoot went mostly smooth, minus a locked-in actor pulling out on Saturday morning!!

After finding a replacement, we had everything in the can by 9pm Saturday night (bar a couple of CU pickups shot Sunday morning). Having said that, we had a massive break between about 3pm-6pm Saturday as we waited for night to fall for externals, so 70% of the film was cut in those three hours.

Hand in was 6:30pm and we're in finals for Welly with a few other nominations. Five minute max runtime was great, even though we were 5:00:00 to the frame! Really pushes you to cut down on any unnecessary dialogue and scenes, which is great practice for me outside of 48 Hours because I'm pushing my writing to be more slick.

Sam Prebble

One of the smoothest years by far for myself, I was expecting the whole thing to turn into a massive train-wreck come Sunday morning but we managed to make it through with plenty of time to spare!

Signed up at the very last minute under the name Bork!, had no actors lined up, and the team I usually work with were all down in Christchurch (I was doing the comp up in Featherston this year) so I was on my own. Felt like trying something different this time around, so decided to give 3D animation a go.

Got the genre and elements from the meetup and thought up the idea while driving back from Wellington.

Didn't bother with a script this time around, just went straight into modelling the characters along with some extremely rough (and messy) placeholders for props and environments. After that I started doing a first pass animation for all the shots. Had the previsualization by Saturday morning.

The goal was to make something no more than a minute and a half long, but by the time the previs was complete it was almost 4 and a half. Ended up cutting quite a bit out by the end of it all.

Midday Saturday I made a few calls and pulled on a few friends to help with props and textures. The three of us put together the small list of required assets throughout the day. I did as much refinement to the animation as I possibly could before the big render over Saturday night, but due to time limitations we ended up sticking with a lot of first-pass animation in the shots.

Spent all of Saturday night rendering and compositing the shots. I thought we weren't going to make it since they were taking hours to render. It wasn't until I turned off the motion blur pass that things started to speed up dramatically (damn you motion blur!) and the mood got a little less frantic.

By Sunday morning all the shots were rendered and composited, all that was left was sound and music. I pulled my sister in from London to help with scoring the film. All the pieces managed to come together relatively quickly and we had a finished short by 3PM on Sunday, an outcome I never expected.

I agree with you dramamike about the curve balls, everything seemed like it was business as usual (minus the 5 minute timeframe, which totally works!), but I'm okay with that.

Will be doing it again next year? Hell yes!

2019 Bork! - "Night Shift" - Musical, ULTRA
2018 Domino - "Perpetual Pause" - High School
2017 Bork! "Power Down" - Survival, ULTRA (unfinished)
2016 Bork! "LOVE.EXE" - Rom Com - National 3rd Place, Wellington Winner
2015 Domino "Self Rising" - Horror
2014 Domino "Tight Package" - Race Against the Clock - Christchurch Finalist
2013 Domino "Vic TV" - Unspoken Words (Silent)
2012 Domino "Shred or Alive" - Musical
2011 Domino "Dead Comfy" - Horror
2010 Domino "Death Pass" - Biopic
2009 2E "Red Dot Special" - Politically Incorrect
2008 Domino "Home Invasion" - Crime
2007 42 Below "A Slice of Jehad" - War/Western
2006 42 Below "Better Late Than Nevil" - War/Western

alexliu
Since: Oct 2016

in reply to Sam Prebble:

I cannot wait to see your film, I've heard nothing but praise. Unfortunately I can't make the finals due to being in Australia working on another project (which sucks as this is the first time I've made 48 finals...). Have to wait for a screening room upload! Good luck!

Sam Prebble

in reply to alexliu:

Thanks, You too!
I'll be uploading it as soon as I'm allowed :D

2019 Bork! - "Night Shift" - Musical, ULTRA
2018 Domino - "Perpetual Pause" - High School
2017 Bork! "Power Down" - Survival, ULTRA (unfinished)
2016 Bork! "LOVE.EXE" - Rom Com - National 3rd Place, Wellington Winner
2015 Domino "Self Rising" - Horror
2014 Domino "Tight Package" - Race Against the Clock - Christchurch Finalist
2013 Domino "Vic TV" - Unspoken Words (Silent)
2012 Domino "Shred or Alive" - Musical
2011 Domino "Dead Comfy" - Horror
2010 Domino "Death Pass" - Biopic
2009 2E "Red Dot Special" - Politically Incorrect
2008 Domino "Home Invasion" - Crime
2007 42 Below "A Slice of Jehad" - War/Western
2006 42 Below "Better Late Than Nevil" - War/Western

CraigWB

I'm gonna have to enter next year, if only to make up for my disastrous mess that I've produced this year. Seeing 3 start review after 3 star review come in all complaining about the sound makes me feel like amateur hour especially when I had a headache on the Friday night and was completely stumped for the script.

The cast seemed to be happy with the script after it was polished up and bit and are happy with the film but I dunno I was hoping more people would enjoy it.
I guess I could've brought the actors back to ADR the trouble bits of the film but the shoot the day before hand suggested to me that none of them were available to do so on the Sunday and I was feeling so ill at the time I just wanted to try and finish the film as best I could.

No complaints about the competition itself, I quite enjoyed the venue and even though most of the team couldn't make it to the heats It was good to see the results on a decent projector.

I'm going to try and do some other films before hand, Tropfest being one of them but yeah, I'll be back next year, for sure as they say in Formula 1.

Team Spielberg craigbickerstaff@me.com +64212166821
The longest running non-finalist in the competition.
2019 Burgled on High : Musical ULTRA
2018 The How, The What, The Who and The Why : The Heist Movie ULTRA
2017 Operator Part II Twin Souls : Thriller/Horror One Room ULTRA
2016 The Real Time Movie : What kind of day has it been
2015 Other Dimension Movie : Rift
2014 Race Against the Clock : EIGHT POINT FIVE
2013 Musical : Wolfgang
2012 Horror : The Unrested Soul
2011 One Room (Horror) : Operator -- Audience favourite
2010 Twin Movie : Secrets in Dowsing
2009 M Night Big Twist Film : The Unfinished
2008 Drama : Breakfast at Four
2007 War : Purple Heart
Sakura Productions
2006 Musical : Sardines
2005 Mockumentary : Smuggling for Dummies DQ'ed

Cardinal

I've heard a lot of people talk about a relaxed / easy shoot this year (we were done in plenty of time too) and I wonder if the shift to five minutes has actually made the competition easier.

I mean for one thing everyone has to simplify, streamline and trim anything extraneous at all in their film, which is undoubtedly the major factor, but also there's two minutes less of finished footage to physically produce - script, shoot, edit, post production, the whole shebang.

That mightn't seem like much, but if you used the extremely crude measurement / comparison that plenty of us have previously had to use almost the entire 48HRS (or near enough) to produce a film with a running time of 7 minutes (or near enough), 1 minute of finished film has been taking an average of approximately 6 hours and 51 minutes to get together. So if we're all used to working at about that rate, knock two minutes off the film's running time and suddenly we've all got an extra 12 and three-quarter hours up our sleeves over the course of the weekend.

themorgan

in reply to Cardinal:

I wonder if the shift to five minutes has actually made the competition easier.

I'm not convinced of this because I thought it was fun this year as well and last year my short was about two minutes, the year before about 1 minute 10, so the duration change didn't really mean anything to me - except that it made my heat unexpectedly brilliant with much tighter shorts and an overall much higher standard of finished short.

But if it did make a difference (and maybe it did, because I'm hearing what you're hearing with lots of people talking about how good a time they had) then perhaps there'll just be a bit of adjustment to the new conditions of the comp and people will shift their ambition up to the point where they start banging against their limits again.

Frauleins, oh frauleins
2019 | Frank & Beans | Buddy Movie | ULTRA48 | DQ :) | Auckland Winner: Best Disqualified Film
2018 | MUST LOVE BOTS | Anti-RomCom | ULTRA48 | Heat 4 Audience Fav, Auckland Short List, Auckland Finalist: Best Script
2017 | I am ball 2 | Survival | ULTRA48
2016 | The Littlest Punk | Punk | Auckland finalist: Best Original Song
2015 | Crumbs | RomCom, Animated | DQ & Very bad!
2014 | I am ball | Musical, Animated | Auckland finalist: Best Use of Prop
2013 | Crybaby | Race Against Time | Boring!
2012 | S.U.L.A. | Urban Legend | Puppets
2011 | Kill Therapist | Revenge | Writer, Director, Actor | Notorious
2010 | Action Manu | Biopic | Writer, Director | Boring

Fractured Radius
2009 | All's Fair | Musical/Dance | Co-Writer
2008 | The End | Drama | Co-Writer | Auckland winner
2003 | F.I.T. | Cop/Crime | Peripheral

CraigWB

Also a shorter running time doesn't necessarily mean you shoot less footage. When I did my film I just about shot the whole thing from start to finish on every take and I only had 2 hours to shoot the film. And if you've got multiple locations you've gotta do all that packing and driving around. You could also end up shooting more than you need or end up having to cut things to make 5 minutes. I know some people had to do that for 7 minute films so it's sure to happen for 5 minute films, especially if you're aa nutter like me and your script gets into 6 pages.
It's more about what you shoot than how much you shoot really.

Team Spielberg craigbickerstaff@me.com +64212166821
The longest running non-finalist in the competition.
2019 Burgled on High : Musical ULTRA
2018 The How, The What, The Who and The Why : The Heist Movie ULTRA
2017 Operator Part II Twin Souls : Thriller/Horror One Room ULTRA
2016 The Real Time Movie : What kind of day has it been
2015 Other Dimension Movie : Rift
2014 Race Against the Clock : EIGHT POINT FIVE
2013 Musical : Wolfgang
2012 Horror : The Unrested Soul
2011 One Room (Horror) : Operator -- Audience favourite
2010 Twin Movie : Secrets in Dowsing
2009 M Night Big Twist Film : The Unfinished
2008 Drama : Breakfast at Four
2007 War : Purple Heart
Sakura Productions
2006 Musical : Sardines
2005 Mockumentary : Smuggling for Dummies DQ'ed

Jason
Since: Mar 2013

A relaxed shoot would have been lovely... 2 sleepless nights for my team as we worked on the script until 5am then met up again for a 10am call time, where we kept filming until around 6am the next day. Our poor editors had to keep going even after that. It was the first night shoot I've done in the 48 Hours and hopefully will be the last. It was all worth it for the awesome set we built but I'm looking forward to wrapping after an easy Saturday shoot again like most years.

The 5 minute films are nicer to watch in heats but I think certain genres could benefit from a longer time to tell the story. Maybe that needs to be taken into consideration more if duration times become shorter, or perhaps we just need to get more used to choosing a story that can be told well within that time.

www.youtube.com/JovialEntertainment

www.facebook.com/JovialEntertainment

2018 - Jovial Entertainment | Daddy's Little Angel (Splatstick) | 1st Audience Favourite + Grand Finalist. Auckland City Best Editor and best puddle
2017 - Jovial Entertainment | Pizza Money (Action/Ambition) | 1st Audience Favourite + Grand Finalist + Auckland City and Grand Finals Best Editing winner
2016 - Jovial Entertainment | Munchies (Dystopian) | 1st Audience Favourite
2015 - Jovial Entertainment | Perp(Mistaken Identity) | 1st Audience Favourite
2013 - Jovial Entertainment | Barry (Crime) | 2nd Audience Favourite
2012 - Black Forest Breathes | One Last Shot (One Shot / End of the World)

jjosland
Since: May 2015

The 5-minute limit for our team meant less death scenes. Mainly because we tried to improve with more depth and dialogue this year. Maybe next time we will have more even more extravagant death scenes.

2019 (School team producer: Breens B-Roll) Timeslingers Time Travel Film Christchurch Nominee for Best School Team, Christchurch Nominee for Best use of Genre
2019 (School team producer: Mini Mad Scientists) Miss Galaxy 3000 Science Fiction Film
Mad Scientists
2018 We'll just have to do things the long wayStar Crossed Lovers(ULTRA) Christchurch Best Art Direction Nominee
2017 Uber Cyborg 2.0 Sci-Fi Love (ULTRA)
2016 Wrong Target Mistaken Identity |Christchurch Most Incredibly Strange Best Bad Film Nominee|Christchurch Best Art Direction Nominee
2015 Uber Cyborg Science gone mad |Christchurch Most Incredibly Strange Best Bad Movie|Christchurch Best Costume Nominee
2014 One Man Army Against the Odds |National Most Incredibly Strange Best Bad Film|Christchurch Best Team Intro
2011 Humpty Dumpty: The Untold Story Mystery
2009 Blackout Superhero
2008 Take As Prescribed Horror (Disqualified for being over length)
Nervous Poop
2010 48Hours Later Musical | Christchurch Best Bad Film Runner Up
Gorilla Pictures
2006 Rubix Dude and Wheelchair Mania Superhero Film | Christchurch Finalist, Christchurch Best Original Score, Christchurch Best Use Of Character, Christchurch Best Screenplay
2005 Mr Fluffy and the Robot Sci-Fi (Disqualified- 4 minutes late)

IctusMortem
Since: May 2012

I agree with Jason, the decrease in run time had both pros and cons. Not much time for development of any story or characters, which eliminates a lot of story options. But the runtime did remind everyone to keep it snappy (it helped us anyway), and kept the heat nice and watchable. Though the fact that the quality of film seems so much higher than it used to be probably helped too.

Joseph Moore

in reply to Cardinal:

We were excited for 5 mins to = a more chill weekend, but then we wrote a script with day/night and multiple locations and wrapped at 3am whoops. Then I fell asleep in a manic fever at 4am trying to put together a base cut, thanks to our editor we got there in the end but it was always on edge. So... no I don't think It's gotten too easy!

Prime Rib
2017: Bookcase: The Seaquel Auckland Finalist
2016: Ghostfish: Catfished By a Ghost National Runner-Up
2014: Deep End lost forever
2013: F**k It Late :(
2011: Tagalongs Screened at a Heat
2010: Life in the Bus Lane Auckland Finalist
2009: Wet Impact Late
2008: About a Bug Late
2007: Bookcase Wellington Finalist
2006: Gunther and Me Wellington Finalist