VF48Hours 2020 Forum

ruth
Since: May 2011

Feed for this Topic

NEW RULES - IMPORTANT

Hi all, we've updated the rules for 2017 and these are now live on the website - https://www.48hours.co.nz/2017/help/

The main change is rule 1.

1. The ‘film’ must be created between 7 pm Friday, August 25th and 7 pm Sunday, August 27th - the shoot weekend. You can use any resources you have available including music, sound effects stills and footage - as long as you have the clearance. Theoretically, your entire film could be made up of stock footage. This also means you can use old footage of yours if you choose to.

2. The duration of the ‘film’ must be minimum 1 minute and maximum 5 minutes. This includes your titles and credits.

3. The ‘film’ must be delivered as a single digital movie file using our recommended file specs by 7 pm on Sunday, August 27th, either on USB to the city hand-in location or uploaded via our portal for teams who have registered as out of town.

4. The ‘film’ must include all the required elements as supplied at the launch. Teams who have registered as ULTRA48 must include the Ultra elements as well.

5. The ‘film’ must include the final closing credit: "Made as part of HP48HOURS 2017".

6. All teams must fill out the online wrap-up form before 7 pm at the close of the competition. Access to this form will be provided to the registered email address before the start of the competition.

7. Your single file entry must include the following video content in the following order:

Your Team intro, any length up to 20 seconds - this is OPTIONAL.

Info Card: ‘Film’ title, Team name, Genre, City - 10 seconds.
The ‘Film’.
Black screen: 5 seconds.

8. You must have the rights to all material that appears in the ‘Film’. Release forms must be signed for all actors, locations, music and anything else that you need permission for that you use in the ‘Film’. This must be held by the Team leader until requested.

9. Your team leader must be a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident.

10. Do not upload the ‘film’ onto the internet until after it has finished in the competition. This means that you must wait until you find out if it has made your city final. If it is a city finalist then you must wait until the national finalists are announced.

Rules are subject to change up to the competition start-time - 7pm August 25th.

dramamike
Since: Apr 2011

in reply to AJ:

I think it would sound better if it was "You could stick a toupee on an orange, call him Mr President and no one would notice"

2019 Depart'ners Buddy
2018 Thanks to the Academy Heist Ultra
2017 Forelsket Nutbar Films Buddy Sacrifice
2016 Con Troll Alt Delete Nutbar Films Horror Fan Favourite. City Finalist for Make-Up
2015 Hide and Seek Nutbar Films Mystery
2014 Confessions Nutbar, with a taste of Nimlin Film, within a film
2013 Made Maid Nutbar Films City Finalist for POV Shot Robot/Cyborg/Android
2012 I Still Dream in Colour Nutbar Films Action
2011 Raptured Golden Carrot Films Mystery
2010 Fraternal Fabrication Golden Carrot Films Twin
2009 I love you this much Golden Carrot Films Romance
2008 Luke Walker and the Golden Carrot William Shatner's Pants Animal

JovialEntertainment
Since: Aug 2016

That's true it would be very hard to use most of a film. I think it would come down to getting lucky, and how many films that team has done in the past to give them all of these options.

While teams could have used old footage in the past I think knowing they'd break the rules is enough to deter a lot of them from doing it. I have seen a team with pre-written scripts begin filming immediately on the Friday night when their genre matched a script they had, and now that the rules allow footage to be used too I wouldn't be surprised if teams go out and film a lot of options before the competition. There's not a lot of time to prepare this year but next year could see more of this if the rule stays.

dramamike

Maybe a middle ground that could be explored is "You may use footage from any previous 48 Hours film"
Since Ant must have some degree of 'rights' over the films, you could then splice in pieces from other teams or your own.

2019 Depart'ners Buddy
2018 Thanks to the Academy Heist Ultra
2017 Forelsket Nutbar Films Buddy Sacrifice
2016 Con Troll Alt Delete Nutbar Films Horror Fan Favourite. City Finalist for Make-Up
2015 Hide and Seek Nutbar Films Mystery
2014 Confessions Nutbar, with a taste of Nimlin Film, within a film
2013 Made Maid Nutbar Films City Finalist for POV Shot Robot/Cyborg/Android
2012 I Still Dream in Colour Nutbar Films Action
2011 Raptured Golden Carrot Films Mystery
2010 Fraternal Fabrication Golden Carrot Films Twin
2009 I love you this much Golden Carrot Films Romance
2008 Luke Walker and the Golden Carrot William Shatner's Pants Animal

AJ

in reply to dramamike:

This year's compulsory character:
Donald Trump, Insecure
Prop:
Toupee
Line of dialogue:

"You could stick a toupee on an orange, call him Mr President and no one would notice"

Christchurch City Manager 2018-2019 | My Favourite 48Hour Films | The 48Hours Podcast

Les Cousins Dangereux
2017 Not Again (Alien)
Christchurch Runner-Up | National Finalist (Peter Jackson Wildcard)
2016 A Time and a Place (Time Travel) ( Behind the Scenes Video)
NA
2015 #apocalypse2k15 (The Last Person on Earth) ( Behind the Scenes Video)
Christchurch City Finalist/Best Art Direction
2014 Something New (RomCom)
Christchurch Runner-Up/Best Use of Line/Best Script/Best Original Song/Best Editing | National Best Use of Prop
2013 Bourbon Legends (Crime)
NA

AJ

in reply to JovialEntertainment:

It's also important to note that it's still against the rules to write your script or edit your film before the weekend.

How can you film your entire movie if you haven't written a script yet? ;)

Christchurch City Manager 2018-2019 | My Favourite 48Hour Films | The 48Hours Podcast

Les Cousins Dangereux
2017 Not Again (Alien)
NA
Christchurch Runner-Up/Best Use of Line/Best Script/Best Original Song/Best Editing | National Best Use of Prop
NA

JovialEntertainment

in reply to AJ:

That was for an American 48Hour competition so the rules may have been slightly different, but I don't see anything in our rules against writing scripts early either.

The only rule of "The ‘film’ must be created between 7 pm Friday, August 25th and 7 pm Sunday, August 27th - the shoot weekend." would apply to the edit I suppose, as that is where the footage is created into a film. I would have included the shoot in creating the film too but clearly from everything else said the footage doesn't have to be part of the 48 hours anymore.

AJ

in reply to JovialEntertainment:

Would you not consider the script (or the story) to be part of your film?

Les Cousins Dangereux
2017 Not Again (Alien)
NA
NA

Searlo

in reply to AJ:

It's hard to include the required elements if the script and shoot has already happened.

Getting some establishing shots: great idea.
Filming your movie before the weekend: dumb.

TBALC
2019: D.O.C FORCE: DEATH ISLAND
2018: THE SPARES
2017: DOWN 2 THE WIRE
2016: DOWN TO THE WIRE
2016: WINDOWS
2015: THE SILENT MAN
2014: THE EX
2013: QUARRELSOME HEAT
2012: NICKY + EVE 19/5
2011: BAND OF BULLIES
2010: I AM SINGLE
2009: NEW FISH
2008: UBERMENSCH
2007: PAINKILLER: THE SICK SENSE
2006: WORM FLU AND YOU

NITRO
Since: Mar 2011

in reply to ruth:

So in regards to rule 9 - you can't be a team leader AND run for government in Australia at the same time right?

this sig intentionally left blank - youtube
sponsored by photogear and fueled by fuel espresso … just need a pizza sponsor now :D

JovialEntertainment

in reply to AJ:

I suppose it could be open to interpretation. I've got plenty of scripts that have never been made into films. You could view them as nothing but an idea or a plan for a film. Before the footage rule changed I'd interpret that rule to mean writing should be included as part of creating the film within the 48 hours. That's how I've always done it. But if your footage doesn't need to be considered part of creating your film then I'd interpret that rule to mean everything before shooting footage isn't included as part of creating your film either.

jjosland
Since: May 2015

I have really mixed feelings about this. It makes it easier, but surely there are teams which will be much more advantaged based on things they have already filmed that look incredible, or taken more than a weekend to put together.

2019 (School team producer: Breens B-Roll) Timeslingers Time Travel Film Christchurch Nominee for Best School Team, Christchurch Nominee for Best use of Genre
2019 (School team producer: Mini Mad Scientists) Miss Galaxy 3000 Science Fiction Film
Mad Scientists
2018 We'll just have to do things the long wayStar Crossed Lovers(ULTRA) Christchurch Best Art Direction Nominee
2017 Uber Cyborg 2.0 Sci-Fi Love (ULTRA)
2016 Wrong Target Mistaken Identity |Christchurch Most Incredibly Strange Best Bad Film Nominee|Christchurch Best Art Direction Nominee
2015 Uber Cyborg Science gone mad |Christchurch Most Incredibly Strange Best Bad Movie|Christchurch Best Costume Nominee
2014 One Man Army Against the Odds |National Most Incredibly Strange Best Bad Film|Christchurch Best Team Intro
2011 Humpty Dumpty: The Untold Story Mystery
2009 Blackout Superhero
2008 Take As Prescribed Horror (Disqualified for being over length)
Nervous Poop
2010 48Hours Later Musical | Christchurch Best Bad Film Runner Up
Gorilla Pictures
2006 Rubix Dude and Wheelchair Mania Superhero Film | Christchurch Finalist, Christchurch Best Original Score, Christchurch Best Use Of Character, Christchurch Best Screenplay
2005 Mr Fluffy and the Robot Sci-Fi (Disqualified- 4 minutes late)

steppenwolf
Since: Jun 2013

No good.
If "shoot weekend" was renamed to "stitch-together-stuff-you've-been-collecting-all-your-life weekend" it would be somewhat more accurate.
While most teams will operate as they always have it opens the door for some grubby behaviour.

Ham East Bad Boys // Kirikiriroa 2016-
DAMN HELL ASS KINGS // Pōneke 2012-2015

mikedensem

For teams who use the same actors every year there must be plenty of footage available to hack something new together and make it work. It would be nice and obvious too which would be funny – especially if voiced over.

I have always wanted to film everything on a green screen but have shied away because I’d also have to film background plates. Now I can use stock footage.

--------------------
2019 - Maximum of 30 characters - The Holiday Movie:
Cabin Fever
2018 - Silence of the LAMZ - The Last day on Earth Movie: An Appointment with a Poo
2017 - (Guardian for two school teams)
-- Fart Chicken Productions - Musical (Transformation): TRANSformation
-- Kitty Aye Aye Films - Survival (Fate): Best Day Ever
2016 - (Guardian for two school teams)
-- Fart Chicken Productions - Horror: Glitchers
-- Kitty Aye Aye Films -Time Travel: One More Time(s)
2015 - (Guardian for two school teams)
-- Fart Chicken Productions - Musical: Find a Way
-- Kitty Aye Aye Films - Mad Science: Kitty-Matic 2000
2014 - Slept through this whole year...
2013 - [boo hoo - didn't participate]
2012 - The Juxtaposition - Action Movie: INFUSION
2011 - Princess Zoe Films - Fad Movie: Contra-fable-gooble 'ness
2010 - Princess Zoe Films (Rubber Tears) - Road Movie: 'Whole Wide World'
2009 - Team 'Rubber Tears' - Parallel World: 'Smoke and Mirrors'
2008 - Team 'Rubber Tears' - Juvenile Delinquent: 'Lipstick Karma'
2007 - Team 'Rubber Tears' - Grindhouse: 'Grindhouse Day Presents'
2006 - Team 'Rubber Tears' - War/Western: 'An Unruly Patch of Land'
2005 - Team 'Imagic Mushrooms' - Pretentious Art: 'Erar Muidem'

DogsBreakfast

I'm not sure why everyone is so freaked out by this. Having done animation a lot it would be great to be able to use a photo BG or if there is a TV in a shot to put one of our old films on it without being disqualified - so we can concentrate on making the rest of the film in 48 hours.

Yes, there may be some teams that take the piss and stitch together something out of old movies but does it really matter? There are semi-pro teams or people that have all the gear and then there's our team filming LEGO via webcam and we still made the AK finals one year. Don't worry about everyone else, there's too much to worry about during the weekend anyway.

Doing drawn animation was tricky because the rules used to say you could create assets before the weekend - like designing a character - because this was no different to sorting out your actors. Last year I did drawn animation for the first time, had some characters ready to go and threw every one of them out because of the story we came up with for the weekend.

If people are gonna cheat, they're gonna cheat. Just focus on your team and make something you're proud of - and of course hand it in on time :) Surely that is the whole point of the comp in the first place.

As an aside, I must say it's nice to see so much action on the forums compared to the previous few years.

2019 "The Drop" - Secret Identity - ULTRA SOLOish
2018 "Furry" - The Wish Movie - ULTRA DUO - Heat 3 runner up Audience Favourite
2017 "The Grove 2: Survival with a vengeance" - Survival ULTRA
2016 "A Baaaaad Habit" - Bro Movie
2015 "Barry's World" - Other Dimension - Best Animation Auckland region
2014 "Brick Impact" - Race Against the Clock - Auckland Finalist - Heat 5 runner up Audience Favourite
2013 "Frankie goes to Horrorwood" - Horror - Heat 6 - runner up Audience Favourite
2012 "Brick's Quest" - Fantasy Adventure - Heat 8 - Audience Favourite
2011 "Playin the Game" - Mystery
2010 " Syd's Garage - a study in Autoeroticism" - Musical - Heat 4 - Audience Favourite
2009 "Doggone" - Family Movie (was a doggone waste of time)
2008 "Sounds of Romance" - Romance
2007 "The Grove" - Crime - Auckland finalist, best script award

Sam Page
Since: Jun 2017

People have been comparing this to the use of stock music. I can see that point, it just makes me wonder that maybe all music should be original too...

This mechanic will be used in awesome ways I'm sure, but to those who say you won't be able to reuse footage effectively in a different genre or with the new elements, just look at the recut romcom trailer for the Shining or the Horror cut of Mrs Doubtfire.

With good direction and reasonable technical skill, an editor could easily rework an existing longer form piece with minimal reshoots.

(Although with bad direction, an editor might do the same and make Suicide Squad.)

AJ

In regards to just handing in/adapting/using a film you've made before... what really counts as footage? What counts as a film? is there a difference?

Having a previous film on in the background is all good because it's using it as prop, but if you hand in something you clearly made before, then it's not really footage is it? Any footage with a narrative will have to be done during the weekend because otherwise it's a 'film' and writing/directing was involved.

Les Cousins Dangereux
2017 Not Again (Alien)
NA
NA

Andrew Todd

in reply to Sam Page:

With good direction and reasonable technical skill, an editor could easily rework an existing longer form piece with minimal reshoots.

And that would be something incredible to see, if it told a good story. It'd also be an immense challenge - just a different challenge to shooting from scratch.

You can come up with fantasy scenarios wherein people abuse the rules all you want, but the fact is that the vast majority will write, shoot, edit on the weekend (maybe using some stock plates) because that's actually EASIER than repurposing other material.

GHOST SHARK 2: URBAN JAWS available for download or stream
Senior Contributor at Birth.Movies.Death

2019 - "Розкол (Schism)" - Science Fiction (National finalist, Chch 3rd place + Best Cinematography)
2018 - "Утка (Utka)" - Wish (National finalist, Chch winner + Best Script + Best Animation, official selection Kiev International Short Film Festival)
2011-2017 - Christchurch 48HOURS City Manager
2010 - "I Am Single" - Rom-Com (Chch finalist + Best Art Direction)
2009 - "New Fish" - Musical (National runner-up + Best Score, Chch winner)
2008 - "Übermensch" - Horror (Chch finalist)
2007 - "Pain Killer: The Sick Sense" - Superhero (Chch finalist)
ALSO - "As Of Yet Unfinished" (2012, unofficial); "The Contender" (2010, finals intro)

Brendon

There was a situation a few years ago where we could have ADR'd the new line in, changed a character name, and then resubmitted an old film that met all the requirements.

TBALC / Team Moon

AJ

in reply to Brendon:

My guess would be this is more common than you would think.

Les Cousins Dangereux
2017 Not Again (Alien)
NA
NA

Bloydd

in reply to Brendon:

Yeah, especially when a lot of the character traits end up being quite similar, exaggerator, fabricator, liar and thoughtless could all be ticked off with the same line of dialogue. Don't ask me what it is but I'm sure Alex Jones will chime in with an example....

Richard Martin

DRAGON V MOUSE - Team Leader
2019 - That Time of the Month - Time Travel (NOT ULTRA) - CHCH finalist
2018 - Baby on Board - Fish-Out-of-Water (ULTRA) - CHCH finalist
2017 - Grisly - Horror Comedy (ULTRA) - CHCH finalist + Best use of Character (A Female)
2016 - Trap - Cat & Mouse - CHCH Finalist + Best use of Tech Element
2015 - Repent - Last Person on Earth - CHCH Finalist
2014 - Bearly: A Revenge Movie - Revenge - CHCH Finalist + Best use of Tech Element
2013 - 'Trigger' - Converging Storyline
2012 - 'Elmerdale' - Fantasy Adventure
2011 - Refuge - One Room/Horror (We don't talk about this one)
2010 - 'Everything You Need To Know About Sex (But Were Too Thick To Realise)' - Sex Education - Audience Favourite
2009 - 'Behind Closed Doors' - Real Time

Producer - The 48 Hours Podcast