VF48Hours Forum

ruth
Since: May 2011

Feed for this Topic

NEW RULES - IMPORTANT

Hi all, we've updated the rules for 2017 and these are now live on the website - https://www.48hours.co.nz/2017/help/

The main change is rule 1.

1. The ‘film’ must be created between 7 pm Friday, August 25th and 7 pm Sunday, August 27th - the shoot weekend. You can use any resources you have available including music, sound effects stills and footage - as long as you have the clearance. Theoretically, your entire film could be made up of stock footage. This also means you can use old footage of yours if you choose to.

2. The duration of the ‘film’ must be minimum 1 minute and maximum 5 minutes. This includes your titles and credits.

3. The ‘film’ must be delivered as a single digital movie file using our recommended file specs by 7 pm on Sunday, August 27th, either on USB to the city hand-in location or uploaded via our portal for teams who have registered as out of town.

4. The ‘film’ must include all the required elements as supplied at the launch. Teams who have registered as ULTRA48 must include the Ultra elements as well.

5. The ‘film’ must include the final closing credit: "Made as part of HP48HOURS 2017".

6. All teams must fill out the online wrap-up form before 7 pm at the close of the competition. Access to this form will be provided to the registered email address before the start of the competition.

7. Your single file entry must include the following video content in the following order:

Your Team intro, any length up to 20 seconds - this is OPTIONAL.

Info Card: ‘Film’ title, Team name, Genre, City - 10 seconds.
The ‘Film’.
Black screen: 5 seconds.

8. You must have the rights to all material that appears in the ‘Film’. Release forms must be signed for all actors, locations, music and anything else that you need permission for that you use in the ‘Film’. This must be held by the Team leader until requested.

9. Your team leader must be a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident.

10. Do not upload the ‘film’ onto the internet until after it has finished in the competition. This means that you must wait until you find out if it has made your city final. If it is a city finalist then you must wait until the national finalists are announced.

Rules are subject to change up to the competition start-time - 7pm August 25th.

Bloydd

With the new rule 1, couldn't a team theoretically hand in one of their old films again?
Is that somehow banned by this rule or is it one of those things that's technically legal but considered a dick move, like punching someone in the dark?

Richard Martin

DRAGON V MOUSE - Team Leader
2019 - That Time of the Month - Time Travel (NOT ULTRA) - CHCH finalist
2018 - Baby on Board - Fish-Out-of-Water (ULTRA) - CHCH finalist
2017 - Grisly - Horror Comedy (ULTRA) - CHCH finalist + Best use of Character (A Female)
2016 - Trap - Cat & Mouse - CHCH Finalist + Best use of Tech Element
2015 - Repent - Last Person on Earth - CHCH Finalist
2014 - Bearly: A Revenge Movie - Revenge - CHCH Finalist + Best use of Tech Element
2013 - 'Trigger' - Converging Storyline
2012 - 'Elmerdale' - Fantasy Adventure
2011 - Refuge - One Room/Horror (We don't talk about this one)
2010 - 'Everything You Need To Know About Sex (But Were Too Thick To Realise)' - Sex Education - Audience Favourite
2009 - 'Behind Closed Doors' - Real Time

Producer - The 48 Hours Podcast

Searlo
Since: Apr 2011

in reply to Bloydd:

Presumably, but I'm assuming the genre/required elements will be different.

Will be useful for establishing shots but that's about it, really.

TBALC
2019: D.O.C FORCE: DEATH ISLAND
2018: THE SPARES
2017: DOWN 2 THE WIRE
2016: DOWN TO THE WIRE
2016: WINDOWS
2015: THE SILENT MAN
2014: THE EX
2013: QUARRELSOME HEAT
2012: NICKY + EVE 19/5
2011: BAND OF BULLIES
2010: I AM SINGLE
2009: NEW FISH
2008: UBERMENSCH
2007: PAINKILLER: THE SICK SENSE
2006: WORM FLU AND YOU

AJ

in reply to Searlo:

You could get the same genre as a previous film though? Or one that could be easily adapted? Same with the elements.

Christchurch City Manager 2018-2019 | My Favourite 48Hour Films | The 48Hours Podcast

Les Cousins Dangereux
2017 Not Again (Alien)
Christchurch Runner-Up | National Finalist (Peter Jackson Wildcard)
2016 A Time and a Place (Time Travel) ( Behind the Scenes Video)
NA
2015 #apocalypse2k15 (The Last Person on Earth) ( Behind the Scenes Video)
Christchurch City Finalist/Best Art Direction
2014 Something New (RomCom)
Christchurch Runner-Up/Best Use of Line/Best Script/Best Original Song/Best Editing | National Best Use of Prop
2013 Bourbon Legends (Crime)
NA

Cardinal

Someone is gonna DEAD MEN DON'T WEAR PLAID this thing now, surely. I look forward to seeing the inevitable attempt!

AJ

in reply to Cardinal:

Yeah I kind of want to see an entirely stock footage film now, I wonder how that would work.

Christchurch City Manager 2018-2019 | My Favourite 48Hour Films | The 48Hours Podcast

Les Cousins Dangereux
2017 Not Again (Alien)
NA
Christchurch Runner-Up/Best Use of Line/Best Script/Best Original Song/Best Editing | National Best Use of Prop
NA

Strange
Since: Apr 2013

in reply to Cardinal:

Yes yes yes!!! That would be awesome

2018- The Marquis de Sade The Monster Movie
2017 - Pandora's Night The Alien Film & Behind The Scenes The At Night Movie
2016 - Every Romance Trailer Ever Rom-Com
2015 - The Intervention Shock Ending
2014 - Steak and Cheese Lies Puzzle/Mystery Film
2013 - Prey: A Tale From The Future Robot/Cyborg/Android Film
2012 - True. Inspirational Film
2011 - The Kids Next Door Revenge Film
2010 - Take 4 Ghost Film

wedeyedwobot
Since: Sep 2016

in reply to Bloydd:

Only if the required elements were the same, which is unlikely to happen. It does seem to suggest that you could start shooting anytime from now though if you have your location locked, establishing shots, green screen plates etc. A bit of a weird one I agree but maybe a case of 'if it's too hard to scrutinise let's make it legal'.

Aren't all the other new rules the same as last year though? Apart from the digital upload for out of towners.

ruth

Hi all, your old films won't have the required elements so if you hand them in they will be out... Also the time limit is 5 mins so you might need to chop the end off really old ones which should make them a bit random.

Here's some examples of stock footage getting used in good ways:

DEAD MEN DON'T WEAR PLAID - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_Men_Don%27t_Wear_Plaid

This Is A Generic Love Story

Scenes You've Seen 2: Awards

Stock footage short film

Cheers

Cardinal

in reply to AJ:

Yeah I kind of want to see an entirely stock footage film now, I wonder how that would work.

You'd need to start getting your library together now, start thinking about how you could use it. Could be amazing if done well though.

The other approach would be to go say MST3K / Whose Line Is It Anyway? style and just say overdub 5 minutes of NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD.

ruth

Don't forget Rule 8:

8. You must have the rights to all material that appears in the ‘Film’. Release forms must be signed for all actors, locations, music and anything else that you need permission for that you use in the ‘Film’. This must be held by the Team leader until requested.

Also can we suggest if you do pre-shoot something that you get yourselves some exterior shots - we love films that aren't all shot in the lounge of your flat.

themorgan

This is huge.

Frauleins, oh frauleins
2019 | Frank & Beans | Buddy Movie | ULTRA48 | DQ :) | Auckland Winner: Best Disqualified Film
2018 | MUST LOVE BOTS | Anti-RomCom | ULTRA48 | Heat 4 Audience Fav, Auckland Short List, Auckland Finalist: Best Script
2017 | I am ball 2 | Survival | ULTRA48
2016 | The Littlest Punk | Punk | Auckland finalist: Best Original Song
2015 | Crumbs | RomCom, Animated | DQ & Very bad!
2014 | I am ball | Musical, Animated | Auckland finalist: Best Use of Prop
2013 | Crybaby | Race Against Time | Boring!
2012 | S.U.L.A. | Urban Legend | Puppets
2011 | Kill Therapist | Revenge | Writer, Director, Actor | Notorious
2010 | Action Manu | Biopic | Writer, Director | Boring

Fractured Radius
2009 | All's Fair | Musical/Dance | Co-Writer
2008 | The End | Drama | Co-Writer | Auckland winner
2003 | F.I.T. | Cop/Crime | Peripheral

AJ

in reply to themorgan:

This is huge.

Agreed. It both scares me, offends my want for purity, and excites me deeply.

Les Cousins Dangereux
2017 Not Again (Alien)
NA
NA

JovialEntertainment
Since: Aug 2016

It's not just old 48 Hour films that could be abused. There are teams who shoot a lot of things all year round outside of 48 Hours and will have the footage from everything they've done. I've got a couple of short films that haven't been released yet where if I get lucky with the genre all I'd have to do is re-shoot one scene to add in the required elements and could submit a film that took 5 days to shoot and had a couple of weeks in post. I know at least one of them would fit within the 5 minute limit.

dramamike

I think the most dangerous situation is using stock footage to set the scene or to use something impossible to shoot during the competition (like the Wimbledon shots from a couple of years ago).

Trying to manipulate completely existing films so they fit the criteria would be so hard.

2019 Depart'ners Buddy
2018 Thanks to the Academy Heist Ultra
2017 Forelsket Nutbar Films Buddy Sacrifice
2016 Con Troll Alt Delete Nutbar Films Horror Fan Favourite. City Finalist for Make-Up
2015 Hide and Seek Nutbar Films Mystery
2014 Confessions Nutbar, with a taste of Nimlin Film, within a film
2013 Made Maid Nutbar Films City Finalist for POV Shot Robot/Cyborg/Android
2012 I Still Dream in Colour Nutbar Films Action
2011 Raptured Golden Carrot Films Mystery
2010 Fraternal Fabrication Golden Carrot Films Twin
2009 I love you this much Golden Carrot Films Romance
2008 Luke Walker and the Golden Carrot William Shatner's Pants Animal

AJ

in reply to JovialEntertainment:

I guess they're inviting teams to do this maybe? After 15 years, why not have a year where new things are tried out?
I'd say if you filmed 90% of the film beforehand, you'd have a 50-70% chance that you could simply adapt it to your elements, as genres like rom com or mystery or crime often use elements which show up in any story any way.
However I'd question whether literally any team would WANT to do it this way. I don't know of any cases of teams legitimately cheating and filming stuff outside of the shoot weekend, and the only difference this year is they don't need to hide the fact that they did this.

I will be making my film over the weekend, and probably won't use stock footage. Outside of this, I'm interested to see how these adapted rules will change the films.

Les Cousins Dangereux
2017 Not Again (Alien)
NA
NA

Cardinal

I've got a couple of short films that haven't been released yet where if I get lucky with the genre all I'd have to do is re-shoot one scene to add in the required elements and could submit a film that took 5 days to shoot and had a couple of weeks in post.

I imagine this is harder to do (at least well) than we're all imagining, though. I think the much more common use of pre-existing footage will be to enhance films, not to be the basis of them. Although I'm sure at least some teams will try (if only for the fun of doing it as a concept).

Agreed. It both scares me, offends my want for purity, and excites me deeply.

You wanna be careful about making statements about your "want for purity" after recent events in the US, Alex ... :P

AJ

in reply to Cardinal:

You wanna be careful about making statements about your "want for purity" after recent events in the US, Alex ... :P

Haha, way to throw me under the bus! Just for that I'm going to fill my film with Trump references this year.

Les Cousins Dangereux
2017 Not Again (Alien)
NA
NA

AJ

in reply to AJ:

I could even use footage of him if I got the rights to it!

Les Cousins Dangereux
2017 Not Again (Alien)
NA
NA

dramamike

in reply to AJ:

Or stick a toupee on an orange

2019 Depart'ners Buddy
2018 Thanks to the Academy Heist Ultra
2017 Forelsket Nutbar Films Buddy Sacrifice
2016 Con Troll Alt Delete Nutbar Films Horror Fan Favourite. City Finalist for Make-Up
2015 Hide and Seek Nutbar Films Mystery
2014 Confessions Nutbar, with a taste of Nimlin Film, within a film
2013 Made Maid Nutbar Films City Finalist for POV Shot Robot/Cyborg/Android
2012 I Still Dream in Colour Nutbar Films Action
2011 Raptured Golden Carrot Films Mystery
2010 Fraternal Fabrication Golden Carrot Films Twin
2009 I love you this much Golden Carrot Films Romance
2008 Luke Walker and the Golden Carrot William Shatner's Pants Animal

AJ

in reply to dramamike:

I'm putting this line in my film.

Les Cousins Dangereux
2017 Not Again (Alien)
NA
NA