VF48Hours 2020 Forum

Brendon
Since: May 2011

Feed for this Topic

Most common uses of required elements

I haven't seen enough films to know. What were the cliches of 2016?

TBALC / Team Moon

Cardinal
Since: Apr 2011

in reply to AJ:

I believe the correct term for this is "TBALCing"

Ha, guilty as charged.

That said, we made maybe our most throwaway / token use of the prop ever in one of our films this year.

themorgan
Since: Apr 2011

Remember when a lot of teams seemed to think a V can was also a required element? Hoo boy.

Frauleins, oh frauleins
2019 | Frank & Beans | Buddy Movie | ULTRA48 | DQ :) | Auckland Winner: Best Disqualified Film
2018 | MUST LOVE BOTS | Anti-RomCom | ULTRA48 | Heat 4 Audience Fav, Auckland Short List, Auckland Finalist: Best Script
2017 | I am ball 2 | Survival | ULTRA48
2016 | The Littlest Punk | Punk | Auckland finalist: Best Original Song
2015 | Crumbs | RomCom, Animated | DQ & Very bad!
2014 | I am ball | Musical, Animated | Auckland finalist: Best Use of Prop
2013 | Crybaby | Race Against Time | Boring!
2012 | S.U.L.A. | Urban Legend | Puppets
2011 | Kill Therapist | Revenge | Writer, Director, Actor | Notorious
2010 | Action Manu | Biopic | Writer, Director | Boring

Fractured Radius
2009 | All's Fair | Musical/Dance | Co-Writer
2008 | The End | Drama | Co-Writer | Auckland winner
2003 | F.I.T. | Cop/Crime | Peripheral

AJ
Since: May 2011

in reply to Cardinal:

Ha, guilty as charged.

Haha, as am I. I look forward to the line each year and thinking about how to Punctuate it (which was easiest with "Not with that you're not" and hardest with "Oh really"). That being said I feel like this trend is on the way out, because a lot of teams are doing it now. The whole point for me was to try and slip it past subtly so that it doesn't pull you out of the film.

What are some other clever ways to use the line/other elements? A lot of the nominations just seem really random sometimes.

Christchurch City Manager 2018-2019 | My Favourite 48Hour Films | The 48Hours Podcast

Les Cousins Dangereux
2017 Not Again (Alien)
Christchurch Runner-Up | National Finalist (Peter Jackson Wildcard)
2016 A Time and a Place (Time Travel) ( Behind the Scenes Video)
NA
2015 #apocalypse2k15 (The Last Person on Earth) ( Behind the Scenes Video)
Christchurch City Finalist/Best Art Direction
2014 Something New (RomCom)
Christchurch Runner-Up/Best Use of Line/Best Script/Best Original Song/Best Editing | National Best Use of Prop
2013 Bourbon Legends (Crime)
NA

Jay Baker
Since: May 2015

in reply to AJ:

Our film was a Charlie Chaplin-esque (silent, B&W, etc) comedy of errors , and had our hero's knitted jersey snagging on a push and unravelling as he walked...I thought that worked well as a scene which would have been good in the movie anyway even if it wasn't a required element.

Got a nomination for it, too, which was good - looking forward to the Hamilton final tonight!

-------------------
Bad George, Hamilton

IctusMortem
Since: May 2012

I like that one Jay, classic gag that I haven't seen pop up for a while.

I prefer it when props are actually integrated as part of the story somehow. Kind of harks back to one of the original points of the elements - to make sure everything's done within the 48 hours. But mostly it's just plain cool to see how people end up with so many different ideas once they try to properly integrate it.

That being said, my team was one of the ones that went for the someone randomly knitting option :P . Used as a comedy beat (1 balaclava'd burglar waiting in the getaway car for the other thief), but still.

IctusMortem
Since: May 2012

And ohhh yes, I remember the abundance of V in every second film... They certainly got their product placement money's worth.