VF48Hours Forum

TheRealClose
Since: Sep 2017

Feed for this Topic

Is 48 Hours discouraging team intros?

I was pretty disappointed that there was no Best Team Intro award this year, as it's a great light hearted award which gives even the least capable filmmakers a chance at fame.

I also noticed that a lot of teams didn't even have an intro this year, and the time restriction was cut down to 20 seconds to our team's dismay.

So is 48 Hours trying to phase out team intros entirely? If so, why? If not, why get rid of the award?

I love team intros and having the award available gives us the motivation to make something great out of it.

Would be interested to hear others thoughts on the matter.

P.S. huge congrats to all the ChCh winners! We would've come down for drinks but we had kids in the team, so Macas it was!

2019 // rip focus // a nipple in time
2018 // rip focus // A Slice of You
2017 // rip focus // A Ripple In Time
2016 // Bus Stop Studios // Knitting, Crochet & Embroidery

CraigWB
Since: Apr 2011

Team Intros have become little more than a sort of practice session for teams. I ended up throwing an unused one on the front of my video but I didn't bother making one this year. There did seem to be a fair amount of them in my heat though.

Team Spielberg craigbickerstaff@me.com +64212166821
The longest running non-finalist in the competition.
2019 Burgled on High : Musical ULTRA
2018 The How, The What, The Who and The Why : The Heist Movie ULTRA
2017 Operator Part II Twin Souls : Thriller/Horror One Room ULTRA
2016 The Real Time Movie : What kind of day has it been
2015 Other Dimension Movie : Rift
2014 Race Against the Clock : EIGHT POINT FIVE
2013 Musical : Wolfgang
2012 Horror : The Unrested Soul
2011 One Room (Horror) : Operator -- Audience favourite
2010 Twin Movie : Secrets in Dowsing
2009 M Night Big Twist Film : The Unfinished
2008 Drama : Breakfast at Four
2007 War : Purple Heart
Sakura Productions
2006 Musical : Sardines
2005 Mockumentary : Smuggling for Dummies DQ'ed

Mista Teas
Since: Apr 2011

in reply to TheRealClose:

I was pretty disappointed that there was no Best Team Intro award this year, as it's a great light hearted award which gives even the least capable filmmakers a chance at fame.

I was disappointed about this too for the same reasons. Sure, it's not the most important and it was optional this year but some teams give it a lot of thought & effort while others just strike on something clever/opportunistic during the weekend. Both are awesome to see and it has been a sought after certificate.

Is it actually less award-worthy than "Best Disqualified"? Runs away very fast.

SCREENING NOW: End - Real Time; CHCH25s
REVISIT: The Stile - Star-crossed Lovers; ULTRA48; CHCH25s

Everything Sticks since 2008
48Hr Films 2008-2019 48Sec Films 2008-2016

Mista Teas (Stu Gilpin) NATIONAL WINNER "Best/Most Prolific Reviewer" 2011 REVIEWS ARCHIVE

Clayton Hiku
Since: May 2012

Yeah I was really sad this award was gone this year. It has been progressively phased out over the last couple years. From being shortened tp 20secs to no award last year except for CHCH. I held out hope all the way last night that there would be a late nomination reel for the award. Sadly no :( if it is gone forever I now count myself very lucky to have won the last team intro certificate.

48 Hours
2019 - Submission Impossible - Now you see me, Now you don't CHCH City Finalist, 3rd Place Audience Favourite Heat 8, Nominated for Best Team Intro, WIFT Outstanding Female Filmmaker (Michal Bush)
2018 - Submission Impossible - PC High - CHCH 2nd RUNNER UP, WINNER of Best Director and Audience Favourite Heat 9, Nominated for Best Editor and Best Script
2017 - Submission Impossible - Polaroid 2 CHCH Finalist, Nominated for Best Actress (Michal Bush)
2016 - Submission Impossible - The Rock and a Hard Place CHCH Finalist, WINNER of Best Team Intro, Nominated for - Best Script,
2015 - Submission Impossible - Home CHCH Finalist, Nominated for; Best Cinematography, Best Score, Best Actress (Anna Whitaker), Best Script. Best Team Intro
2014 - Submission Impossible - One Night at Martinet's CHCH Finalist, Nominated for, Best Use of Character, Best Script, Best Actress, Best Original Song Winner of Canon Competition
2013 - Submission Impossible - Polaroid - CHCH Finalist, WINNER of Audience Favourite Heat 10 and Best use of Character Best Team Intro
2012 - Submission Impossible - Split
2011 - Film Flam - Revenge is a dish best served cold - Composer

V48 Seconds
2011 - Iron Man, Inception, X-men, 2010 - New Moon, 2009 - 300

jjosland
Since: May 2015

We really enjoy doing the team intros as well- it gives us a good reason to meet up and try different ideas that don't necessary relate to our theme.

It also replaces the runaway microphone issues when teams got carried away with impromptu stand up/introduce the teams on the screening night.

We also received the award one year, which was crazy because I think it involved the least effort and was made after 6pm on the Sunday.

Last year the team made one without me even knowing which was funny because they delved into all kinds of nooks and orifices in my house and surprised me when I saw it. Like I needed more reason for laughing in the weekend!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REreY2oOrDY

2019 (School team producer: Breens B-Roll) Timeslingers Time Travel Film Christchurch Nominee for Best School Team, Christchurch Nominee for Best use of Genre
2019 (School team producer: Mini Mad Scientists) Miss Galaxy 3000 Science Fiction Film
Mad Scientists
2018 We'll just have to do things the long wayStar Crossed Lovers(ULTRA) Christchurch Best Art Direction Nominee
2017 Uber Cyborg 2.0 Sci-Fi Love (ULTRA)
2016 Wrong Target Mistaken Identity |Christchurch Most Incredibly Strange Best Bad Film Nominee|Christchurch Best Art Direction Nominee
2015 Uber Cyborg Science gone mad |Christchurch Most Incredibly Strange Best Bad Movie|Christchurch Best Costume Nominee
2014 One Man Army Against the Odds |National Most Incredibly Strange Best Bad Film|Christchurch Best Team Intro
2011 Humpty Dumpty: The Untold Story Mystery
2009 Blackout Superhero
2008 Take As Prescribed Horror (Disqualified for being over length)
Nervous Poop
2010 48Hours Later Musical | Christchurch Best Bad Film Runner Up
Gorilla Pictures
2006 Rubix Dude and Wheelchair Mania Superhero Film | Christchurch Finalist, Christchurch Best Original Score, Christchurch Best Use Of Character, Christchurch Best Screenplay
2005 Mr Fluffy and the Robot Sci-Fi (Disqualified- 4 minutes late)