VF48Hours Lockdown Forum

Section59
Since: Apr 2011

Feed for this Topic

Dumb Things People Do Around Film Crews...

I want to hear the DUMBEST thing.

Let's start with the dickhead in the SUV stopped next to us on Lincoln Road who tooted his horn at us. Smooth.

Section59 Films
www.Section59.co.nz

2007 - Death Nurse (Grindhouse)
2008 - The Orphan and the Inn (Fairy Tale)
2009 - Larger Than Life (Realtime)
2010 - We took a holiday :)
2011 - Crime of the Centuries (Crime)
2012 - Pronoia (Crime) - Christchurch team: Intelligent Design
2012 - S.H.A.R.P. (Superhero) - Wellington team: Random Acts
2013 - Breath of the Gods (Techno Thriller) - Christchurch team: Intelligent Design
2013 - Scooter Girl (Obsessive Relationship) - Wellington team: Random Acts
2014 - Repute (Film Within A Film) - Christchurch team: Intelligent Design
2014 - The Talented Mr Chancey (Mistaken Identity) - Wellington team: Random Acts
2015 - In Bread, Love. (Romantic Comedy) - Christchurch team: Intelligent Design
2015 - Stealing Thoughts (Other Dimension) - Wellington team: Random Acts

dramamike

Walking infront of the camera, stop, stare at the camera and ask if we're making a movie. Twice.
(Not this year)

2020 Lockdown The Nutbar News at Nine Urban Fantasy
2019 Depart'ners Buddy
2018 Thanks to the Academy Heist Ultra
2017 Forelsket Nutbar Films Buddy Sacrifice
2016 Con Troll Alt Delete Nutbar Films Horror Fan Favourite. City Finalist for Make-Up
2015 Hide and Seek Nutbar Films Mystery
2014 Confessions Nutbar, with a taste of Nimlin Film, within a film
2013 Made Maid Nutbar Films City Finalist for POV Shot Robot/Cyborg/Android
2012 I Still Dream in Colour Nutbar Films Action
2011 Raptured Golden Carrot Films Mystery
2010 Fraternal Fabrication Golden Carrot Films Twin
2009 I love you this much Golden Carrot Films Romance
2008 Luke Walker and the Golden Carrot William Shatner's Pants Animal

IctusMortem
Since: May 2012

My favourite was actually not so dumb.
One year we had people lying on the ground while we were filming them on the side of the road. A car sped over and stopped and a woman came running out - she had thought that someone was in trouble and we might need someone to call an ambulance. Really sweet, but you'd think she'd notice the cameras.

That same year we had someone threaten to call the police on us (we said go ahead, since we were on a public road doing absolutely nothing bad). She then claimed the police were coming, so like good people we waited around for them. Wasted a couple of hours, and it turned out she was completely lying.

Section59

That same year we had someone threaten to call the police on us (we said go ahead, since we were on a public road doing absolutely nothing bad). She then claimed the police were coming, so like good people we waited around for them. Wasted a couple of hours, and it turned out she was completely lying.

OMFG!

Section59 Films
www.Section59.co.nz

2007 - Death Nurse (Grindhouse)
2008 - The Orphan and the Inn (Fairy Tale)
2009 - Larger Than Life (Realtime)
2010 - We took a holiday :)
2011 - Crime of the Centuries (Crime)
2012 - Pronoia (Crime) - Christchurch team: Intelligent Design
2012 - S.H.A.R.P. (Superhero) - Wellington team: Random Acts
2013 - Breath of the Gods (Techno Thriller) - Christchurch team: Intelligent Design
2013 - Scooter Girl (Obsessive Relationship) - Wellington team: Random Acts
2014 - Repute (Film Within A Film) - Christchurch team: Intelligent Design
2014 - The Talented Mr Chancey (Mistaken Identity) - Wellington team: Random Acts
2015 - In Bread, Love. (Romantic Comedy) - Christchurch team: Intelligent Design
2015 - Stealing Thoughts (Other Dimension) - Wellington team: Random Acts

CraigWB

This wasn't a 48 hours thing but when I was at Natcoll (Now Yoobee I think) I was helping a friend of mine set up in the park across the road for one of his projects and this homeless man confronted me saying things like "You better not be filming me" and "I'm going to break your camera"
I kept trying to explain that we're not filming him but eventually I gave up and said listen I'm not in charge here and he went over and started threatening the friend eventually we gave up and filmed at a different park instead.

Team Spielberg craigbickerstaff@me.com +64212166821
The longest running non-finalist in the competition.
2020 Lockdown Read, are the tea leaves : The Unwanted Guest
2019 Burgled on High : Musical ULTRA
2018 The How, The What, The Who and The Why : The Heist Movie ULTRA
2017 Operator Part II Twin Souls : Thriller/Horror One Room ULTRA
2016 The Real Time Movie : What kind of day has it been
2015 Other Dimension Movie : Rift
2014 Race Against the Clock : EIGHT POINT FIVE
2013 Musical : Wolfgang
2012 Horror : The Unrested Soul
2011 One Room (Horror) : Operator -- Audience favourite
2010 Twin Movie : Secrets in Dowsing
2009 M Night Big Twist Film : The Unfinished
2008 Drama : Breakfast at Four
2007 War : Purple Heart
Sakura Productions
2006 Musical : Sardines
2005 Mockumentary : Smuggling for Dummies DQ'ed

Taunise
Since: May 2011

in reply to IctusMortem:

so like good people we waited around for them. Wasted a couple of hours, and it turned out she was completely lying.

I can just imagine you guys standing there waiting politely while the 48 hours clock is ticking.

I would have just given the crazy lady my contact details if i wanted to make a point and then left.

Serial Reviewer - Let me know if you want a review on your 48 hours film.

2018: The Land Before Rhyme (Musical + 10 Year) - Toowit Toowoo (ULTRA)
2017: Glasnost 2: Blood Moon (Supernatural) - Toowit Toowoo (ULTRA)
2016: Chasing Tail (Cat and Mouse) - Astronomollusc
2015: Glasnost (Buddy) - Fractal Pandas
2014: Entropy (Time Travel) - Toowit Toowoo
2013: Lights. Camera. Wasteland. (Reunion) - 42 Cents
2012: A Grave Mistake (Horror) - Toowit Toowoo
2011: Keeping Station (One Room + Mystery) - Toowit Toowoo
2010: Alex's Puddle, the Peequal (Ghost Film) - Whoflipped.com
Also 2010: Avatar - A Sign from Guarana (V48 Seconds)
More about Us

IctusMortem

in reply to Taunise:

We had a (blind) dog with us too for the shoot, so I ended up taking him home with the dog owner/editor while the others stayed waiting.
Still makes me laugh that we ended up calling the police ourselves to ask "look, you guys coming or not? We don't have much time."

Taunise

in reply to IctusMortem:

thats fantastic.

Serial Reviewer - Let me know if you want a review on your 48 hours film.

2018: The Land Before Rhyme (Musical + 10 Year) - Toowit Toowoo (ULTRA)
2017: Glasnost 2: Blood Moon (Supernatural) - Toowit Toowoo (ULTRA)
2016: Chasing Tail (Cat and Mouse) - Astronomollusc
2015: Glasnost (Buddy) - Fractal Pandas
2014: Entropy (Time Travel) - Toowit Toowoo
2013: Lights. Camera. Wasteland. (Reunion) - 42 Cents
2012: A Grave Mistake (Horror) - Toowit Toowoo
2011: Keeping Station (One Room + Mystery) - Toowit Toowoo
2010: Alex's Puddle, the Peequal (Ghost Film) - Whoflipped.com
Also 2010: Avatar - A Sign from Guarana (V48 Seconds)
More about Us

Scott Ransom

I may not recall the full story accurately, but I remember a few years ago we were shooting our film (we had a lot of bloody make-up) and one of the people in the neighborhood got a little freaked out which resulted in a welfare by a man in blue!

Noise and Pictures 2014 - Rubble | Actor
Noise and Pictures 2013 - Gift-Wrapped | Actor
Noise and Pictures 2012 - Brains? | Actor
Noise and Pictures 2011 - Super Self Me | Actor, Co-Writer
Noise and Pictures 2010 - Bottle 'O Love | Actor, Co-Writer

HereForTheBeer
Since: Jul 2011

Not 48 Hours related but many times during my day job (videographer) I get people walking in front of my camera, stop, stare at the camera, stare at me... "are you filming something"?

The funniest (and most random) one was when I was getting some B-roll for a nature documentary with an FS100, a lady walked past and said "I can't even imagine why a geological surveyor like yourself would need to be here looking at trees".

Go figure.

2017 - Either Way
2016 - The Game
2015 - Blurred Lines - (Best acting nominee)
2014 - Rosco - (City Finalist, audience fave, etc)
2013 - Sleep My Pretty (Best Editing nominee)
2012 - Postage & Handling (Sexiest Looking Short nominee)
2011 - Admire The Wire
2010 - Queen's Gambit (Best Team Intro nominee)
2009 - Third Time Lucky
2008 - Immaculate Deceptions

Sam Spooner

I've been on plenty of shoots where the neighbors have decided to pop their head over the fence to say "Hey are you guys filming? that's so cool!" immediately after the 1st AD has called for quite on the set, for some reason I always end up being the one babysitting them to explain that when it goes quite it means we are shooting and not the other way around. Why do they always think quite time is the best time to make themselves known?!

TOMORROW TODAY
2017 - ADAD2: The Wizarding - Crime Ultra
Two Big Tools
2016 - Mind Camp - Dystopian Film 3rd Audience Favorite, Winner of The Incredibly Strange Award(Auckland), nominated for Best Original Song(Auckland), nominated for The Incredibly Strange Award(National)
2015 - A Dame A Dozen - Mystery Film(but really all of the genres) 2nd Audience Favorite
2014 - 20q - Mystery Film 3rd Audience Favorite
2013 - NZSS - Converging Storylines Film 3rd Audience Favorite
2012 - The Brick - Superhero Film Audience Favorite First Equal

bona92

During our shoot this year we were in a park, doing a 2nd camera angle shot for a scene, and a guy walked OH SO VERY SLOWLY across my frame in the background (he has seen us there - and I assumed he was drunk), and then took a seat on one of the part benches that just happened to be in shot and gave me (I was behind the camera) a grin before cracking open a drink!!! Grrrr!!! I made some necessary adjustments and managed to get him out of shot, but then he started talking loudly (he was far enough for the shot to still be able to work, but the mic still picked his voice), first on the phone, then he started speaking loudly, then we noticed a woman walking towards him. And when they got together they started rolling around on the grass and MAKING OUT!!!! Bleh!!! Luckily we managed to sneak in some shots now and then and by that point we've finished shooting, coz by the time they were rolling around on the grass they'd be in my shot and it wasn't something I could re-frame (not to that extent anyway) for the shot we wanted.

Ok, now that I remember that part of the weekend, suddenly my lunch doesn't look so good anymore :(

2019: The Big Number (Musical/Dance) - The Directors
2018: Connection Interrupted (Back from the Dead) - Ahrjeebee
2017: Salvage (Science Fiction) - Ahrjeebee
2016: DICKS (Punk Movie) - PuppyGuts
2015: Beyond the Fridge (Other Dimension) - PuppyGuts
2014: rom.com (Romantic Comedy) - #Brown
2012: Dead Market (Inspirational) - Mechanically Separated Chicken
2011: P Butter (Mystery) - Pants Optional -late entry
2009: Lost and Found (Parallel Movie) - 2RhAB/Two Redheads and a Blonde - Wellington Finalist
2008: Animal Control (Animal Movie) - 2RhAB/Two Redheads and a Blonde - Wellington Finalist
2007: Darkest Before Dawn (RomCom/Coming of Age) - 2RhAB/Two Redheads and a Blonde

Andrew Todd

We were shooting a scene for GHOST SHARK 2 in a park in Auckland, and this douche dick walks across the park to where we're shooting, sits down on a bench just off camera, pulls his phone out, and starts playing a song loudly on speaker.

All I managed to capture before we stopped rolling was my codirector saying "Are you serious?"

GHOST SHARK 2: URBAN JAWS available for download or stream
Senior Contributor at Birth.Movies.Death

2020 Lockdown - "The Quiet Moon" - Science Fiction
2019 - "Schism" - Science Fiction (National finalist; Chch 3rd place + Best Cinematography; Toronto After Dark and Morbido Fest 2019, Chattanooga Film Fest 2020)
2018 - "Utka" - Wish (National finalist; Chch winner + Best Script + Best Animation; Kiev International Short Film Festival 2019 and Abycinitos 2020)
2011-2017 - Christchurch 48HOURS City Manager
2010 - "I Am Single" - Rom-Com (Chch finalist + Best Art Direction)
2009 - "New Fish" - Musical (National runner-up + Best Score, Chch winner)
2008 - "√úbermensch" - Horror (Chch finalist)
2007 - "Pain Killer: The Sick Sense" - Superhero (Chch finalist)
ALSO - "As Of Yet Unfinished" (2012, unofficial); "The Contender" (2010, finals intro)

Daniel Frost
Since: Apr 2014

I was DoP on a film and forgot to turn my phone to silent, henceforth it rang during a take. I took the call (about 5 minutes in the end) the director was initially angry but was pissing himself laughing at The shot was already ruined. the end of it.

Hamilton Managers plebb! (Chief V handerouter) - 2005 to 2012
Barbecue Everything 2014 "On Time" Regional Finalists, Best Actor + Best Actress nominee
Barbecue Everything 2015 "Paid" Best use of line and Make up nominees
Barbecue Everything 2016 "Horrific True Crime Stories"

Paulette
Since: Mar 2014

some infested homeless guy wandered into unit when we were doing fatal contact, because we were dealing with 100 extras on the sick and dying scene we didnt really notice, people started scratching about an hour after meal break and on final makeup and wardrobe check we heard screams from the makeup, they said he was so infested the hair on his head moved constantly, security had to remove him 3 times that night

Paulette

in reply to Andrew Todd:

there are some arses in the world aren't there

Paulette

in reply to dramamike:

twice by the same person?

SeanOC

This doesn't really belong in this discussion, but it is so funny it deserves a mention. Sorry also that it is a theatre story, so screen luvvies, please forgive me.

I was playing the part of the Narrator in Stardome's version of War of the Worlds in 2012 and we sold out our run prior to opening night, which was great.

About halfway through our 6 week stint, there was a young couple in the front row who seemed very tactile (gotta love live theatre!) and on the opening of Act 2, I stood at my lecturn delivering my lines only to notice that the female in the partnership was seemingly 'tripping' on the mix of elaborate laser and life performance unfolding before her. It's quite an intimate venue, if you have never been there before.

Her eyes like saucers and the furious gum chewing gave her away and her boyfriend seemed to be getting in on the enjoyment too. So much so that as I started to deliver a particularly emotionally fraught piece about the red weed, the girl's hand strayed unmistakably under the jacket draped across her boyfriend's midriff and the stroking of the member commenced not 3 metres away from my place on 'stage'.

The boyfriend's eyes now matched the saucer-like state of the stroker and I was left to desperately try and stay in the moment and deliver a faultless dialogue, as was expected on a nightly basis. My eyes were averted most of the time, but were drawn to the 'action' with an undeniable sense of disbelief.

I felt sorry for the man and his young son in the seats' immediately next to the stroker and strokee! I am sure the young boy caught brief glimpses of what was happening, although his father was doing his best to shield his spawn from the developing scene.

I got through somehow and after the show greeted the audience members' (no pun intended) at the door and thanked this particular couple for 'coming' (pun intended) although refrained from shaking her hand for obvious reasons!

I also learnt afterwards that our Stage Manager and several other crew were in prime position around the top of the illuminated 'dome' watching this unfold. They weren't visible to the audience as the upper dome acts like a one way screen.

I haven't done much live theatre, but that night is one that will live long in the memory. Not quite as long as the boyfriend's I'm sure!

Actor
Various Teams | Auckland | Since 2009

2014 | Revenge | If You Can Get Blood
2013 | Action | Henchmen
2012 | Found Footage | Broken Clover
2011 | Fad | You Reckon?
2010 | Road Movie | Driveby Stigmata (Best DQ Nationally)
2009 | Family | Wizard Boy 2

IctusMortem

in reply to SeanOC:

Did they notice the pun you made at their expense at least?
I think I'd feel tempted to ad lib a fitting line to have an excuse to point to the couple during the scene.