VF48Hours Forum

Scott Doar
Since: Sep 2016

Feed for this Topic

Classic Bants (whats your best 48hour story?)

Thought i'd make a thread for people to share their most epic/horrible stories and lessons learnt from previous years.

I think smashing a sugar glass vase over our actors head was one of my favourites.

Always say your worst ideas out loud. you never know what will generate the first spark of an idea that turns into something great.

2018 Jovial Entertainment: "Daddys Little Angel"
2017 Jovial Entertainment: "Pizza Money"(Grand Finalist)(Winner best editing) (audience favorite) Auckland
2016 Jovial Entertainment: "Munchies" (audience favorite) Auckland
2015 Jovial Entertainment: "Perp" Auckland
2014 Stampede Tiddlywinks "Date Time" Auckland
2012 Stampede Tiddlywinks: "Poolside story" Auckland
2011 Team Bella: "Wire" (best art direction and some other stuff) Hamilton
2010 ...uuummm i entered but i have no idea ,my life in hamilton was a blur ...Hamilton
2009 Go gecko: ....pass Hamilton

TheRealClose
Since: Sep 2017

In 2016 we handed in with about 4 minutes to spare. Could’ve easily been 30-40 if our DP hadn’t convinced us to use the highest possible export settings in Premiere.

So don’t do that. Just choose the YouTube 1080p preset and let it do its thing.

Also having an SSD to store footage on the next couple of years was a godsend.

2019 // rip focus // a nipple in time
2018 // rip focus // A Slice of You
2017 // rip focus // A Ripple In Time
2016 // Bus Stop Studios // Knitting, Crochet & Embroidery

dramamike
Since: Apr 2011

We had a character walk into the ocean to die. She walked. We filmed. Wellington. Southerly. Just as she got out of ear shot the battery died. Telling her when she returned that she needed to go again was tough. So impressed that she said yes.

2019 Depart'ners Buddy
2018 Thanks to the Academy Heist Ultra
2017 Forelsket Nutbar Films Buddy Sacrifice
2016 Con Troll Alt Delete Nutbar Films Horror Fan Favourite. City Finalist for Make-Up
2015 Hide and Seek Nutbar Films Mystery
2014 Confessions Nutbar, with a taste of Nimlin Film, within a film
2013 Made Maid Nutbar Films City Finalist for POV Shot Robot/Cyborg/Android
2012 I Still Dream in Colour Nutbar Films Action
2011 Raptured Golden Carrot Films Mystery
2010 Fraternal Fabrication Golden Carrot Films Twin
2009 I love you this much Golden Carrot Films Romance
2008 Luke Walker and the Golden Carrot William Shatner's Pants Animal

Andrew Todd
Since: Apr 2011

in reply to TheRealClose:

In 2016 we handed in with about 4 minutes to spare. Could’ve easily been 30-40 if our DP hadn’t convinced us to use the highest possible export settings in Premiere.

I REMEMBER THAT FILE

GHOST SHARK 2: URBAN JAWS available for download or stream
Senior Contributor at Birth.Movies.Death

2019 - "Розкол (Schism)" - Science Fiction (Chch 3rd place + Best Cinematography)
2018 - "Утка (Utka)" - Wish (National finalist, Chch winner + Best Script + Best Animation, official selection Kiev International Short Film Festival)
2011-2017 - Christchurch 48HOURS City Manager
2010 - "I Am Single" - Rom-Com (Chch finalist + Best Art Direction)
2009 - "New Fish" - Musical (National runner-up + Best Score, Chch winner)
2008 - "Übermensch" - Horror (Chch finalist)
2007 - "Pain Killer: The Sick Sense" - Superhero (Chch finalist)
ALSO - "As Of Yet Unfinished" (2012, unofficial); "The Contender" (2010, finals intro)

AJ
Since: May 2011

in reply to TheRealClose:

In 2016 we handed in with about 4 minutes to spare.

Yo Ben I'ma let you finish, but in 2014 Les Cousins Dangereux handed in with only 30 seconds to spare, and we came runner up in Christchurch that year.

Christchurch City Manager 2018-2019 | My Favourite 48Hour Films | The 48Hours Podcast

Les Cousins Dangereux
2017 Not Again (Alien)
Christchurch Runner-Up | National Finalist (Peter Jackson Wildcard)
2016 A Time and a Place (Time Travel) ( Behind the Scenes Video)
NA
2015 #apocalypse2k15 (The Last Person on Earth) ( Behind the Scenes Video)
Christchurch City Finalist/Best Art Direction
2014 Something New (RomCom)
Christchurch Runner-Up/Best Use of Line/Best Script/Best Original Song/Best Editing | National Best Use of Prop
2013 Bourbon Legends (Crime)
NA

Rastinha
Since: Mar 2014

Hmm, last year we made a musical even though we didn't have to and had never made a musical. We started shooting at 11:30pm Saturday (yes, almost Sunday) but managed to wrap by 4am, after about 51 takes of the final dance sequence and finally getting one where everyone did it right (I said right, not well, lol).

Don't recommend choreographing and teaching a bunch of non-dancers (including the choreographer) a dance between 3-4am after everyone's already had no sleep. Y'know, unless you want an extra challenge!

It was fun though. The one year I really thought it was going to be impossible to finish the film, but still got it handed in in the end :)

We didn't make it once, in like 2007, because we had an export back to miniDV tape fail 3 times and then had to drive through Auckland and missed it by about 1 minute!

2019: "DopeMonkey Live" - Gross-out Comedy - Pastafarian Productions (Solo/ULTRA)
2018: "Heist School Musical" - Heist Movie - Pastafarian Productions (Regional Best Door Slam)
2017: "ESP" - Alien Movie - Pastafarian Productions (Regional Finalist)
2016: "The War on Error" - Cat & Mouse - Pastafarian Productions (Regional Finalist)
2015: "Us... But Mainly You" - Black Comedy - Pastafarian Productions (Regional Finalist)
2014: "Sphere" - Horror - Pastafarian Productions (Regional Finalist)
2009-2013: MIA
2008: "I Adore" - Drama - Conspiracion de las Palomitas
2007: "The Hazel Princess" - Fairytale - Conspiracion de las Palomitas
2006: "All Ur <3 R Belong 2 Me" - Romance - Popcorn Conspiracy

Bock_Simon
Since: Sep 2017

Well over 100kph run down Strickland street to hand in on time.... the runners smashed it - unfortunately he was sprinting as fast as he could to the door....while watching it close. 20 seconds late that year...picked up "best disqualified" Still an amazing weekend, everyone was still stoked, the beers flowed and we watched the film about 10 times with glee.

JAGBOG
Just a Good Bunch of Guys

2018 - Eric & Leo
2017 - Night Guards - A Rising Tide Chronicle
2016 - (As 'Residual Talent') Sole Mates
2015 - Early To Rise
2014 - Rising Tide
2013 - 158
2012 - She'll Be Right 2 - Nah She Bloody Won't
2011 - She'll Be Right