VF48Hours Forum

Searlo
Since: Apr 2011

Feed for this Topic

Christchurch - fantastic year

Hey all,

Just basking in the glow of an awesome city final. Super stoked for Andrew and Johnny with Utka - what a film! And Rico from Blood and Bone gave the performance of the night. Please stay acting, Rico!!

But wanted to give a big shout out to all the volunteers who made this happen. We couldn’t have our best weekends of the year without you. Legends. This also extends to the reviewers. You guys rock.

And AJ - great job mate. I think you’ve brought a fresh wave of energy to the competition. Please sign on for next year!

TBALC
2018: THE SPARES
2017: DOWN 2 THE WIRE
2016: DOWN TO THE WIRE
2016: WINDOWS
2015: THE SILENT MAN
2014: THE EX
2013: QUARRELSOME HEAT
2012: NICKY + EVE 19/5
2011: BAND OF BULLIES
2010: I AM SINGLE
2009: NEW FISH
2008: UBERMENSCH
2007: PAINKILLER: THE SICK SENSE
2006: WORM FLU AND YOU

Andrew Todd

Well, that happened, to our shock and delight. So proud of our little Utka, earning success and respect wherever he goes.

Can't wait to watch all the other films though, holy shit - the nomination reels SOUNDED great over our audio-only Skype call...

Thanks errybody, I love you

GHOST SHARK 2: URBAN JAWS available for download or stream
Senior Contributor at Birth.Movies.Death

2019 - Deep Dish Pizza Wolf - "Розкол" - Science Fiction (Chch shortlist)
2018 - Poutine Wolf - "Утка" - Wish (National finalist, Chch winner + Best Script)
2011-2017 - Christchurch 48HOURS City Manager
2010 - TBALC - "I Am Single" - Rom-Com (Chch finalist)
2009 - TBALC - "New Fish" - Musical (National runner-up + Best Score, Chch winner)
2008 - TBALC - "Übermensch" - Horror (Chch finalist)
2007 - TBALC - "Pain Killer: The Sick Sense" - Superhero (Chch finalist)
ALSO - "As Of Yet Unfinished" (2012, unofficial); "The Contender" (2010, finals intro)

Clayton Hiku
Since: May 2012

I'll jump in here and say wow what an amazing final. Every film was high quality with excellent well executed stories. I felt like there were at least 7-8 films I could have seen in the top 3 and I am not surprised one bit the judging results were so close. I would not have wanted to have to rank that amazing group last night one bit.

In saying that Blood and Bone - Hero! WOW! Loved your film and I second what David said, keep acting forever and ever Rico. You were amazing! Also a shout out to the other young fella in the film for his amazing voice over work!

Massive congrats to Andrew Todd. That script in UTKA was insanely awesome and of the highest quality. I hope there is a hand written crayola version of that script lying around somewhere! HAHA.

Some quick other shoutouts -

TBALC - incredible film, amazing script, fantastic concept, LOVED IT!
South Jersey Ghost Research - Such an epic scale film on with such a small central focus! Amazing work and loved it even more the second time
RIP FOCUS - WOW! Possibly one of my favourite musicals (but not a musical) out of CHCH! Well done guys!

And I loved everyone else's too. Ill do some reviews over the next few days for them.

Fingers crossed we get some good CHCH representation at nationals guys!

48 Hours
2018 - Submission Impossible - PC High - CHCH 2nd RUNNER UP, WINNER of Best Director and Audience Favourite Heat 9, Nominated for Best Editor and Best Script
2017 - Submission Impossible - Polaroid 2 CHCH Finalist, Nominated for Best Actress (Michal Bush)
2016 - Submission Impossible - The Rock and a Hard Place CHCH Finalist, WINNER of Best Team Intro, Nominated for - Best Script,
2015 - Submission Impossible - Home CHCH Finalist, Nominated for; Best Cinematography, Best Score, Best Actress (Anna Whitaker), Best Script. Best Team Intro
2014 - Submission Impossible - One Night at Martinet's CHCH Finalist, Nominated for, Best Use of Character, Best Script, Best Actress, Best Original Song Winner of Canon Competition
2013 - Submission Impossible - Polaroid - CHCH Finalist, WINNER of Audience Favourite Heat 10 and Best use of Character Best Team Intro
2012 - Submission Impossible - Split
2011 - Film Flam - Revenge is a dish best served cold - Composer

V48 Seconds
2011 - Iron Man, Inception, X-men, 2010 - New Moon, 2009 - 300

TheNimbleMarmoset

Not much to add to what's already been said here, except perhaps to note that the stylistic and tonal range of the films on display felt broader than perhaps any previous CHCH final, and so it was bloody awesome that all these apples and oranges films were being held up side by side as examples of some of the best coming out of the city. Very something-for-everyone, in a way that hopefully helps to inspire a wide range of different filmmakers locally - I certainly got inspired watching them!

SOUTH JERSEY GHOST RESEARCH
2019 - "Catman and Robyn" (The Secret Identity Movie)
2018 - "Cushy: A Pull Story" (The Film That Spans More Than Ten Years)

TBALC
2017 - "Down 2 The Wire". . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2016 - "Down To The Wire" (Bechdel)
2016 - "Windows" (Mystery). . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2011 - "Band Of Bullies" (Quest)
2015 - "The Silent Man" (Mystery). . . . . . . . . . . . . . .2010 - "I Am Single" (Rom Com)
2014 - "The Ex" (Rom Com). . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2009 - "New Fish" (Musical)
2013 - "Quarrelsome Heat" (Action/Adventure). . . 2008 - "Übermensch" (Horror)
2012 - "Nicky + Eve 19/5" (One Shot) . . . . . . . . . . .2007 - "Pain-Killer: The Sick Sense" (Superhero)

EVIL GENIUS LABS
2005 - "Bruised Gold" (Documentary)

Searlo

in reply to TheNimbleMarmoset:

Has there ever been a year where 2 non-comedies came 1st and 2nd in Christchurch? Can't think of any off the top of my head.

TBALC
2018: THE SPARES
2017: DOWN 2 THE WIRE
2016: DOWN TO THE WIRE
2016: WINDOWS
2015: THE SILENT MAN
2014: THE EX
2013: QUARRELSOME HEAT
2012: NICKY + EVE 19/5
2011: BAND OF BULLIES
2010: I AM SINGLE
2009: NEW FISH
2008: UBERMENSCH
2007: PAINKILLER: THE SICK SENSE
2006: WORM FLU AND YOU

TheNimbleMarmoset

in reply to Searlo:

Has there ever been a year where 2 non-comedies came 1st and 2nd in Christchurch? Can't think of any off the top of my head.

Well I mean, last year the runner-up was that gruelling scifi psychodrama Not Again - that counts, right?

Apart from that, it would depend whether you regard 2013's Is Love Enough? as comedic or not I suppose. Also, in 2010, what came runner-up to Death In The West? El Padre maybe?

TBALC
2017 - "Down 2 The Wire". . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2016 - "Down To The Wire" (Bechdel)
2016 - "Windows" (Mystery). . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2011 - "Band Of Bullies" (Quest)
2015 - "The Silent Man" (Mystery). . . . . . . . . . . . . . .2010 - "I Am Single" (Rom Com)
2014 - "The Ex" (Rom Com). . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2009 - "New Fish" (Musical)
2012 - "Nicky + Eve 19/5" (One Shot) . . . . . . . . . . .2007 - "Pain-Killer: The Sick Sense" (Superhero)

EVIL GENIUS LABS

Mista Teas

except perhaps to note that the stylistic and tonal range of the films on display felt broader than perhaps any previous CHCH final

Hmmm, I actually think, tonally, it was a pretty standard CHCH finals mix. If you look back, you'll not see a grouping that is too different. And I also think that when you have a fairly consistent judging team you get a fairly consistent bunch of films year-to-year.

The only wildcard/WTF film in the CHCH final was summer co's "in the woods" - that had a very different tone - not sure if it can be classified! You typically get one of these in the CHCH finals. I'd say their was nothing unsettling in tone in the CHCH final.

There was certainly a wider tonal range if you take into account the full shortlist.

My only question mark over this year's final is Ultra. It seems to have not been a consideration in the judges' decision making process. I'm not blaming the film-makers here as the comp dug itself a bit of a hole by creating ambiguity over the "children or animals as main characters rule" but I do think that if Ultra is a thing and teams are signing up for an extra layer of scrutiny, then that scrutiny must actually happen. Otherwise, what's the point?

COMING SOON: End - Real Time; CHCH25s
REVISIT: The Stile - Star-crossed Lovers; ULTRA48; CHCH25s

Everything Sticks since 2008
48Hr Films 2008-2019 48Sec Films 2008-2016

Mista Teas (Stu Gilpin) NATIONAL WINNER "Best/Most Prolific Reviewer" 2011 REVIEWS ARCHIVE

TheNimbleMarmoset

in reply to Mista Teas:

Hmmm, I actually think, tonally, it was a pretty standard CHCH finals mix. If you look back, you'll not see a grouping that is too different. And I also think that when you have a fairly consistent judging team you get a fairly consistent bunch of films year-to-year.

Okay, maybe you're right. But something seemed different about the line-up. Is it perhaps that we've always had films at the more dramatic/serious end of the spectrum represented in the city finals, but in recent years those films have been creeping steadily higher up in the rankings?

Maybe the number of child actors in prominent roles across the selection was another unusual feature of last night. (I would say that Ultra had something to do with that, although as it happens most of those films actually weren't Ultras.)

Anyway, even if I'm totally wrong and the selection was tonally run-of-the-mill for the city, it was still a very fine selection.

TBALC

EVIL GENIUS LABS

TheNimbleMarmoset

in reply to Mista Teas:

My only question mark over this year's final is Ultra. It seems to have not been a consideration in the judges' decision making process. I'm not blaming the film-makers here as the comp dug itself a bit of a hole by creating ambiguity over the "children or animals as main characters rule" but I do think that if Ultra is a thing and teams are signing up for an extra layer of scrutiny, then that scrutiny must actually happen. Otherwise, what's the point?

At this point, it seems that the Ultra thing is primarily in place as a creative challenge for the teams who take it on. My assumption is that if a team entered with Ultra, then didn't adequately satisfy the Ultra requirement in their film, presumably that wouldn't disqualify them from judging consideration in the way that failure to include the usual elements does (but it would at least effectively disqualify them from consideration for the Ultra award).

TBALC

EVIL GENIUS LABS

Andrew Todd

Also, in 2010, what came runner-up to Death In The West? El Padre maybe?

Haha, no way, that was the Outwits' Bechamel...RIP the Outwits

GHOST SHARK 2: URBAN JAWS available for download or stream
Senior Contributor at Birth.Movies.Death

2019 - Deep Dish Pizza Wolf - "Розкол" - Science Fiction (Chch shortlist)
2018 - Poutine Wolf - "Утка" - Wish (National finalist, Chch winner + Best Script)
2011-2017 - Christchurch 48HOURS City Manager
2010 - TBALC - "I Am Single" - Rom-Com (Chch finalist)
2009 - TBALC - "New Fish" - Musical (National runner-up + Best Score, Chch winner)
2008 - TBALC - "Übermensch" - Horror (Chch finalist)
2007 - TBALC - "Pain Killer: The Sick Sense" - Superhero (Chch finalist)
ALSO - "As Of Yet Unfinished" (2012, unofficial); "The Contender" (2010, finals intro)

TheNimbleMarmoset

in reply to Andrew Todd:

Haha, no way, that was the Outwits' Bechamel...RIP the Outwits

All together now! "Semi on, semi on, semi semi semi semi on..."

TBALC

EVIL GENIUS LABS

AJ
Since: May 2011

My assumption is that if a team entered with Ultra, then didn't adequately satisfy the Ultra requirement in their film, presumably that wouldn't disqualify them from judging consideration in the way that failure to include the usual elements does (but it would at least effectively disqualify them from consideration for the Ultra award).

Judging this kind of thing can get very abstract, especially with the aforementioned clarifications around what counted as a main character. But if you did ultra this year, and blatantly didn't include a child or animal as main characters in any way, shape or form, then you would be disqualified completely.

And AJ - great job mate. I think you’ve brought a fresh wave of energy to the competition. Please sign on for next year!

Thanks Dave! I have felt very warm and fuzzy about all the kind words people have been giving me this year, and I can confirm that I will be returning to the role next year if you'll have me.

Christchurch City Manager 2018-2019 | My Favourite 48Hour Films | The 48Hours Podcast

Les Cousins Dangereux
2017 Not Again (Alien)
Christchurch Runner-Up | National Finalist (Peter Jackson Wildcard)
2016 A Time and a Place (Time Travel) ( Behind the Scenes Video)
NA
2015 #apocalypse2k15 (The Last Person on Earth) ( Behind the Scenes Video)
Christchurch City Finalist/Best Art Direction
2014 Something New (RomCom)
Christchurch Runner-Up/Best Use of Line/Best Script/Best Original Song/Best Editing | National Best Use of Prop
2013 Bourbon Legends (Crime)
NA

themorgan

it seems that the Ultra thing is primarily in place as a creative challenge for the teams who take it on

Yep.

Frauleins, oh frauleins
2019 | Frank & Beans | Buddy Movie | ULTRA48 Late :)
2018 | MUST LOVE BOTS | Anti-RomCom | ULTRA48 | Heat 4 Audience Fav, Auckland Short List, Auckland Finalist: Best Script
2017 | I am ball 2 | Survival | ULTRA48
2016 | The Littlest Punk | Punk | Auckland finalist: Best Original Song
2015 | Crumbs | RomCom, Animated | Late & Bad!
2014 | I am ball | Musical, Animated | Auckland finalist: Best Use of Prop
2013 | Crybaby | Race Against Time | Bad!
2012 | S.U.L.A. | Urban Legend | Puppets
2011 | Kill Therapist | Revenge | Writer, Director, Actor | Notorious
2010 | Action Manu | Biopic | Writer, Director | Boring

Fractured Radius
2009 | All's Fair | Musical/Dance | Co-Writer
2008 | The End | Drama | Co-Writer | Auckland winner
2003 | F.I.T. | Cop/Crime | Peripheral

Clayton Hiku

in reply to Mista Teas:

Hmmm, I actually think, tonally, it was a pretty standard CHCH finals mix. If you look back, you'll not see a grouping that is too different.

I feel like it felt different this year. For example I brought my brother to the finals this year and he has been to the finals nearly every we have made it through (but never to the heats). And he was blown away by the overall quality and range this year too and he has only ever seen finals films. Every film this year had a really clear and well written script and the execution was on point. I also felt like there were more serious films than other years. But I could be wrong. Maybe the tonal range wasn't wider but it was more just the fact that if you graded every film out of 100 there would barely be more than a few points between 1st to 15th this year. Everyone has stepped it up a notch! YAY CHCH!

I'm curious as to how you would have wanted the judges to judge the Ultra teams differently? Especially given the fact that there is basically no award for Ultra (other than whichever national ultra finalist that does best gets a cup). I've seen a lot of people commenting on teams not using actual children and or animals. But the rules said to be creative and to interpret it however you like and that those "characters" did not have to be played by children and or animals. And if every Ultra team made "look who's talking" style voiceover movies with animals and babies I imagine that the complaint will be teams not being inventive enough with the challenge. (Richard please note: Absolutely LOVED Look who's Martin Scorsese talking! haha) It definitely made things harder for the Ultra teams and I think that so long as those teams met the Ultra requirements then after that their film should be judged at an equal level as all the other films.

But again as I have said once before on here, I would love to see a little more recognition for doing Ultra at the regional level. Some nominations and a Certificate? To encourage those who get really stumped by the challenge that they might still make the top 5 for something that year. But its only year 2 of Ultra and its nice to see the 48hours management keeping the competition fresh, responding to feedback and mixing it up.

48 Hours
2018 - Submission Impossible - PC High - CHCH 2nd RUNNER UP, WINNER of Best Director and Audience Favourite Heat 9, Nominated for Best Editor and Best Script
2017 - Submission Impossible - Polaroid 2 CHCH Finalist, Nominated for Best Actress (Michal Bush)
2016 - Submission Impossible - The Rock and a Hard Place CHCH Finalist, WINNER of Best Team Intro, Nominated for - Best Script,
2015 - Submission Impossible - Home CHCH Finalist, Nominated for; Best Cinematography, Best Score, Best Actress (Anna Whitaker), Best Script. Best Team Intro
2014 - Submission Impossible - One Night at Martinet's CHCH Finalist, Nominated for, Best Use of Character, Best Script, Best Actress, Best Original Song Winner of Canon Competition
2013 - Submission Impossible - Polaroid - CHCH Finalist, WINNER of Audience Favourite Heat 10 and Best use of Character Best Team Intro

V48 Seconds

themorgan

in reply to :

I would love to see a little more recognition for doing Ultra at the regional level. Some nominations and a Certificate?

Agreed. It's bloody weird that there isn't a regional category for Ultra.

Frauleins, oh frauleins
2019 | Frank & Beans | Buddy Movie | ULTRA48 Late :)
2018 | MUST LOVE BOTS | Anti-RomCom | ULTRA48 | Heat 4 Audience Fav, Auckland Short List, Auckland Finalist: Best Script
2017 | I am ball 2 | Survival | ULTRA48
2016 | The Littlest Punk | Punk | Auckland finalist: Best Original Song
2015 | Crumbs | RomCom, Animated | Late & Bad!
2014 | I am ball | Musical, Animated | Auckland finalist: Best Use of Prop
2013 | Crybaby | Race Against Time | Bad!
2012 | S.U.L.A. | Urban Legend | Puppets
2011 | Kill Therapist | Revenge | Writer, Director, Actor | Notorious
2010 | Action Manu | Biopic | Writer, Director | Boring

Fractured Radius
2009 | All's Fair | Musical/Dance | Co-Writer
2008 | The End | Drama | Co-Writer | Auckland winner
2003 | F.I.T. | Cop/Crime | Peripheral

Bloydd
Since: May 2011

in reply to Clayton Hiku:

And if every Ultra team made "look who's talking" style voiceover movies with animals and babies I imagine that the complaint will be teams not being inventive enough with the challenge. (Richard please note: Absolutely LOVED Look who's Martin Scorsese talking! haha)

Phew! I was VERY close to feeling victimised there haha

With regards to Ultra, definitely think there should be at least some recognition at regional level, with last year the award just being given out at the grand final with no nominations it was kind of a bummer only recognising one team's effort (especially since, let's be honest, there wasn't really any chance of this winner not coming from Auckland or Wellington).

I'd like to see Ultra treated in the same way that we treat the other elements in some ways, especially now that there's a best use of genre award. By which I mean that the award(s) for Ultra shouldn't necessarily go to the best film which happens to be ultra, but the best interpretation or subversion or something more along those lines

Richard Martin

DRAGON V MOUSE - Team Leader
2018 - Baby on Board - Fish-Out-of-Water (ULTRA) - CHCH finalist
2017 - Grisly - Horror Comedy (ULTRA) - CHCH finalist + Best use of Character (A Female)
2016 - Trap - Cat & Mouse - CHCH Finalist + Best use of Tech Element
2015 - Repent - Last Person on Earth - CHCH Finalist
2014 - Bearly: A Revenge Movie - Revenge - CHCH Finalist + Best use of Tech Element
2013 - 'Trigger' - Converging Storyline
2012 - 'Elmerdale' - Fantasy Adventure
2011 - Refuge - One Room/Horror (We don't talk about this one)
2010 - 'Everything You Need To Know About Sex (But Were Too Thick To Realise)' - Sex Education - Audience Favourite
2009 - 'Behind Closed Doors' - Real Time

Producer - The 48 Hours Podcast

Mista Teas

Is it perhaps that we've always had films at the more dramatic/serious end of the spectrum represented in the city finals, but in recent years those films have been creeping steadily higher up in the rankings?

Could be. A very quick look at the last five years suggests a fairly steady three "serious" films in the finals. In 2017 there were four. Of course there are some that cross-boundaries so are black comedy. The finals isn't marketed as a showcase so if the 15 "best" films in a year just happened to be all comedies and even were all from the same genre as well, then that's just how it is.

Mista Teas (Stu Gilpin) NATIONAL WINNER "Best/Most Prolific Reviewer" 2011 REVIEWS ARCHIVE

Mista Teas

My assumption is that if a team entered with Ultra, then didn't adequately satisfy the Ultra requirement in their film, presumably that wouldn't disqualify them from judging consideration in the way that failure to include the usual elements does

I agree that this is the intention but the rules kind of say otherwise.

4. The ‘film’ must include all the required elements as supplied at the launch. Teams who have registered as ULTRA48 must include the Ultra elements as well.

So the ULTRA requirement was:
- A child is under 18 years old.
- The main characters must be children or animals - this does not mean actors need to be children or animals, we are happy for creative approaches to this.
- Supporting characters can be adults/anyone else.

And the further clarification on the weekend was:
The official word is that THE main characters are children or animals - so this means all of them. :)

So where this has become tricky is the definition of a main character. How this is being covered is from what I've gathered to be "Who's story is it?" and once that is defined then it seems a team can cover ULTRA with one U18 character. The problem with this in my opinion is the clarification above "so this means all of them."

I'm not wanting ULTRA teams DQ'd if they bent the rules and it's not the judges job to disqualify anyone. Once they see the films they probably shouldn't be wondering if a film meets the rules but it surely has to be part of the discussion when putting a finals group in place. We do hear that a film doesn't quite make it due to not quite nailing something. Often we hear too that judges as a group really "loved" a film. That has very little to do with adherence to any required elements.

I should make it clear that I'm not trying to hijack this thread. The CHCH final was really good. However, the CHCH competition shouldn't be above criticism and if the goal is to make the CHCH 48HRs the absolute best it can be then question marks should be raised and discussed.

Mista Teas

in reply to Clayton Hiku:

I'm curious as to how you would have wanted the judges to judge the Ultra teams differently?

I'm not really suggesting they judge differently as their instructions (according to the site) with required elements are only Innovative use of the required elements . If a judge loves a film they'll love a film regardless of any rules compliance. What I'm saying is that if there is a question mark it has to be part of the conversation and as this comp has rules then it does (has) caused issues when a film advances that perhaps has perhaps loosely applied required elements.

So one question I'd get them to ask in regard to ULTRA for their own presence of mind.

This year: "Are ALL the main characters in this film children or animals?"
For last year: "Is there enough in this film to suggest this is a sequel to their previous film?"

If the answer is no, then regardless of the quality of the film and for the sake of integrity, it should drop down the pecking order.

Again, not the ULTRA film-makers fault but I think we've seen some inconsistencies with ULTRA this year which are putting me in the "Rowan is right" camp. :)

Clayton Hiku

in reply to Bloydd:

Phew! I was VERY close to feeling victimised there haha

PHEW!

I'd like to see Ultra treated in the same way that we treat the other elements in some ways, especially now that there's a best use of genre award. By which I mean that the award(s) for Ultra shouldn't necessarily go to the best film which happens to be ultra, but the best interpretation or subversion or something more along those lines

Yeah I really like this idea Richard. Last year especially would have been a really interesting one to see whose movie was considered the "best sequel" instead of the best film that technically continues on from the same world as a previous 48hours entry.

48 Hours

V48 Seconds

Clayton Hiku

in reply to Mista Teas:

This year: "Are ALL the main characters in this film children or animals?"

Ok yeah I see what you're saying. Main characters is open to interpretation. I see team DQ's now much like the old cricket rule of "the batsman gets the benefit of the doubt". Meaning if its not blatant rules violation and its a 50/50 call the benefit of the doubt should go in favour of the team. Because none of use really want to see teams get DQed.

I know some people have brought up this issue in the reviews with our film this year. We certainly discussed it and we had to change our script and edit to accomodate it. We asked ourselves what is the main plot arc of the movie? The answer was the love triangle between the 3 "teenagers". Secondly the only other character who had a story arc was my character slowly turning into a zombie. The teacher was the question mark one but she has no "story" in this movie. She is used simply to introduce our characters and location and to deliver a joke at the end. We cut several other teacher-centric jokes to keep more focus on the love triangle "kids".

So anyway I also wasn't trying to hi jack this thread to defend our film but just using it as an example of how we interpreted those rules and just how much they affected our writing and editing to end up with the film we got.

I've only seen the films from heat 9 and the final but I definitely haven't seen any Ultra films that I felt blatantly broke the Ultra rules and therefore I am happy to see everyone given the benefit of the of doubt. But it is a good conversation to be had Stu. I'll have to get into the screening room to see how well everyone else did with, and interpreted, the Ultra challenge this year. Cheers.

48 Hours

V48 Seconds