VF48Hours Forum

Bloydd
Since: May 2011

Feed for this Topic

Changes to Awards

I've been having a look at the awards & prizes slated for this year, noticed there's been a few changes.

Love that there's now a Best Use of Genre award, can't wait to see how the nominations fall for this, as we've seen, subversion & adherence can both make something amazing!

I presume Best Use of Required Elements will be split into the awards like normal? Just written like this so we don't know what the elements are this year? (i.e. prop/sfx/line/character/tech/event)

The one that confuses me the most though is seeing that Best Actor & Best Actress now appear to just be "Best Performer". Is this really going to be one award from now on or is that subject to change? I'd love to know the reasoning behind the decision to combine them if that's the case because it's got me scratching my head.

What do y'all think?
Any other changes you'd want to see in future years?

Richard Martin

DRAGON V MOUSE - Team Leader
2019 - That Time of the Month - Time Travel (NOT ULTRA) - CHCH finalist
2018 - Baby on Board - Fish-Out-of-Water (ULTRA) - CHCH finalist
2017 - Grisly - Horror Comedy (ULTRA) - CHCH finalist + Best use of Character (A Female)
2016 - Trap - Cat & Mouse - CHCH Finalist + Best use of Tech Element
2015 - Repent - Last Person on Earth - CHCH Finalist
2014 - Bearly: A Revenge Movie - Revenge - CHCH Finalist + Best use of Tech Element
2013 - 'Trigger' - Converging Storyline
2012 - 'Elmerdale' - Fantasy Adventure
2011 - Refuge - One Room/Horror (We don't talk about this one)
2010 - 'Everything You Need To Know About Sex (But Were Too Thick To Realise)' - Sex Education - Audience Favourite
2009 - 'Behind Closed Doors' - Real Time

Producer - The 48 Hours Podcast

steelpotato
Since: Apr 2011

Best sound design = FINALLY!!!

Strange
Since: Apr 2013

my only issue with the Male and Female awards being combined is that there are now fewer awards for Actors overall

why not, Best Lead Performance, Best Supporting Role, Best Cameo Performance.

Heck, I'd love to see an award for best background character with no lines, for all those mums and dads who get roped in for a bit part at the last minute.

and as I've said before, this could extend and get quite fun

Best Physical Performance
Best Joke Delivery
Best Monologue
Best Transformative Performance
Best Comedy Performance
Best Dramatic Performance
Best Child Actor

To go along with the MTV Movie Awards Style
I want to see

Best Kiss
Best Fight
Best Stunt
Best Joke
Best Location
Best Oner
Most Impressive GET (like that year a team burned down a house)
Best Physical Gag
Best Special Effect
Best Broken Fourth Wall
Best use of V Can
Best, best, best, best. make the awards more fun.

This model would also shine a light on teams who did cool stuff in their films but didn't necessarily make a film worthy of any Grand or City Finals.

More than anything, I think there should be awards (not prizes, just an award is fine) for the best film in each genre.

the way I see it, because of the genres teams arn't competing on an even footing, some genres are harder than others, some genres set you up to succeed in a a way that others don't and that's totally fine, its all part of the format.

but I'd like to see an award for the best of each genre. every year theres a genre that naturally doesn't get well represented in the finals. lets give a shout out to the team that managed to make the most out of the really tough genres.

But Hey, I appreciate Judging takes time and effort.

and let me just say the last thing i want to see this comp do, is put any part of the completion on social media. the year that anything is determined by a vote at the 48hours website, and teams can start social media campaigns to get votes every day. that's the last time I'll be competing in 48hours

2018- The Marquis de Sade The Monster Movie
2017 - Pandora's Night The Alien Film & Behind The Scenes The At Night Movie
2016 - Every Romance Trailer Ever Rom-Com
2015 - The Intervention Shock Ending
2014 - Steak and Cheese Lies Puzzle/Mystery Film
2013 - Prey: A Tale From The Future Robot/Cyborg/Android Film
2012 - True. Inspirational Film
2011 - The Kids Next Door Revenge Film
2010 - Take 4 Ghost Film

Bloydd

in reply to Strange:

and let me just say the last thing i want to see this comp do, is put any part of the completion on social media. the year that anything is determined by a vote at the 48hours website, and teams can start social media campaigns to get votes every day. that's the last time I'll be competing in 48hours

Definitely agree with this part (although I haven't seen any indication that the comp is heading this way). As much as you can disagree with the judges decisions, at the end of the day I think it is really important to actually have people making those decisions. Anyone who has been in the comp for a few years will know that as cool as it is to win audience favourite or get good reviews (some teams even do this for themselves I've seen to try and sway the judges) it actually doesn't seem to impact the judges decision.

I think if there is a movement to do away with using gender for separating awards, unless they're specifically sponsored like the WIFT awards, then doing Best Comedy & Best Drama performance is a great way to get discussion going about some more actors, as comedy & drama are almost two completely different crafts.

Richard Martin

2017 - Grisly - Horror Comedy (ULTRA) - CHCH finalist + Best use of Character (A Female)
2014 - Bearly: A Revenge Movie - Revenge - CHCH Finalist + Best use of Tech Element
2010 - 'Everything You Need To Know About Sex (But Were Too Thick To Realise)' - Sex Education - Audience Favourite

ruth

Wow - Rowan - you're planning us a looong awards ceremony there - we've changed a few awards this year - mostly because of feedback from last year - might change things again next year... I think the background dad award might not make the cut.

And yes there will be awards for the individual elements - we just don't want to say what they are...

Scott Doar
Since: Sep 2016

Man im so happy about sound design making it in. f

2018 Jovial Entertainment: "Daddys Little Angel"
2017 Jovial Entertainment: "Pizza Money"(Grand Finalist)(Winner best editing) (audience favorite) Auckland
2016 Jovial Entertainment: "Munchies" (audience favorite) Auckland
2015 Jovial Entertainment: "Perp" Auckland
2014 Stampede Tiddlywinks "Date Time" Auckland
2012 Stampede Tiddlywinks: "Poolside story" Auckland
2011 Team Bella: "Wire" (best art direction and some other stuff) Hamilton
2010 ...uuummm i entered but i have no idea ,my life in hamilton was a blur ...Hamilton
2009 Go gecko: ....pass Hamilton

Mista Teas

in reply to ruth:

Wow - Rowan - you're planning us a looong awards ceremony there

Only if you had nominees for each. Awards can be very quickly read, with a quick screenshot/vid of the moment. Acceptance speeches, physical presentation of award not needed for any of these - save those for the main prize categories.

I've said it before but the City finals should be a showcase and celebration of what that region has uniquely done over the weekend, encompassing a wider group than just the finalists.

Heck, I'd love to see an award for best background character with no lines, for all those mums and dads who get roped in for a bit part at the last minute.

This is the greatest award ever.

SCREENING NOW: End - Real Time; CHCH25s
REVISIT: The Stile - Star-crossed Lovers; ULTRA48; CHCH25s

Everything Sticks since 2008
48Hr Films 2008-2019 48Sec Films 2008-2016

Mista Teas (Stu Gilpin) NATIONAL WINNER "Best/Most Prolific Reviewer" 2011 REVIEWS ARCHIVE

Mista Teas

in reply to Strange:

my only issue with the Male and Female awards being combined is that there are now fewer awards for Actors overall

And less recognition. With the first of the big regions nominations being announced this has sadly come to pass. What was 10 nominated actors, is now 5.

Mista Teas (Stu Gilpin) NATIONAL WINNER "Best/Most Prolific Reviewer" 2011 REVIEWS ARCHIVE

TheNimbleMarmoset
Since: May 2012

in reply to Mista Teas:

With the first of the big regions nominations being announced this has sadly come to pass. What was 10 nominated actors, is now 5.

Yeah, that is a shame. Hard to think of alternative categories though. I personally think a comedy / drama split is a non-starter, since they're not as dichotomous as some would have you think, and it's not uncommon to see both skills in the same performance.

Best Child Actor is interesting, although then the question becomes, what is the age cut-off for eligibility?

But I do definitely like Rowan's idea of a quick-fire round of fun (and nomination-less) awards, great way to inject energy into the ceremony and also get heaps more teams representation in the awards. And honestly, these ones could be solely chosen by the city manager for instance, so as not to belabour the judging process for the panel.

SOUTH JERSEY GHOST RESEARCH
2019 - "Catman and Robyn" (The Secret Identity Movie)
2018 - "Cushy: A Pull Story" (The Film That Spans More Than Ten Years)

TBALC
2017 - "Down 2 The Wire". . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2016 - "Down To The Wire" (Bechdel)
2016 - "Windows" (Mystery). . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2011 - "Band Of Bullies" (Quest)
2015 - "The Silent Man" (Mystery). . . . . . . . . . . . . . .2010 - "I Am Single" (Rom Com)
2014 - "The Ex" (Rom Com). . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2009 - "New Fish" (Musical)
2013 - "Quarrelsome Heat" (Action/Adventure). . . 2008 - "Übermensch" (Horror)
2012 - "Nicky + Eve 19/5" (One Shot) . . . . . . . . . . .2007 - "Pain-Killer: The Sick Sense" (Superhero)

EVIL GENIUS LABS
2005 - "Bruised Gold" (Documentary)

Bloydd

Agree whole-heartedly on the combination of acting awards. Stating that the change was in response to feedback from last year is baffling as well, maybe someone really dislikes actors getting recognition & made a lot of noise about it.

Richard Martin

Andrew Todd

I personally would've gone to ten (or seven!) nominations for performances. But I guess with five, those actors know they're in a very elite class indeed.

Other award changes are great. Production Design encompassing, I assume, costumes and sets and makeup, great decision. Ditto combining Animation and VFX, combining Score and Song, and adding Sound Design. Should make for a more efficient show and more recognition of work.

GHOST SHARK 2: URBAN JAWS available for download or stream
Senior Contributor at Birth.Movies.Death

2019 - "Розкол (Schism)" - Science Fiction (Chch 3rd place + Best Cinematography)
2018 - "Утка (Utka)" - Wish (National finalist, Chch winner + Best Script + Best Animation, official selection Kiev International Short Film Festival)
2011-2017 - Christchurch 48HOURS City Manager
2010 - "I Am Single" - Rom-Com (Chch finalist + Best Art Direction)
2009 - "New Fish" - Musical (National runner-up + Best Score, Chch winner)
2008 - "Übermensch" - Horror (Chch finalist)
2007 - "Pain Killer: The Sick Sense" - Superhero (Chch finalist)
ALSO - "As Of Yet Unfinished" (2012, unofficial); "The Contender" (2010, finals intro)

Clayton Hiku

Definitely, some interesting calls made this year on award nominations. I really like the idea of a section of minor awards the city manager can blow through quickly before hitting the certificate nominee awards. I think this would get a lot more teams excited to come to finals if they aren't in it. We were just gutted that best Makeup was gone the first year we used makeup and went, zombie. haha. Oh well. But the combination of some of those awards is really clever. Especially the new Animation and VFX award. That one is great.

I totally agree with Strange that I would hate to see this competition go into any sort of Social Media voting type system for anything.

Also bring back best team intro! ;)

And congrats to all the finalists and nominees this year. Can't wait to see this crazy high-quality year of finalists on the big screen.

48 Hours
2019 - Submission Impossible - Now you see me, Now you don't CHCH City Finalist, 3rd Place Audience Favourite Heat 8, Nominated for Best Team Intro, WIFT Outstanding Female Filmmaker (Michal Bush)
2018 - Submission Impossible - PC High - CHCH 2nd RUNNER UP, WINNER of Best Director and Audience Favourite Heat 9, Nominated for Best Editor and Best Script
2017 - Submission Impossible - Polaroid 2 CHCH Finalist, Nominated for Best Actress (Michal Bush)
2016 - Submission Impossible - The Rock and a Hard Place CHCH Finalist, WINNER of Best Team Intro, Nominated for - Best Script,
2015 - Submission Impossible - Home CHCH Finalist, Nominated for; Best Cinematography, Best Score, Best Actress (Anna Whitaker), Best Script. Best Team Intro
2014 - Submission Impossible - One Night at Martinet's CHCH Finalist, Nominated for, Best Use of Character, Best Script, Best Actress, Best Original Song Winner of Canon Competition
2013 - Submission Impossible - Polaroid - CHCH Finalist, WINNER of Audience Favourite Heat 10 and Best use of Character Best Team Intro
2012 - Submission Impossible - Split
2011 - Film Flam - Revenge is a dish best served cold - Composer

V48 Seconds
2011 - Iron Man, Inception, X-men, 2010 - New Moon, 2009 - 300

TheNimbleMarmoset

in reply to Andrew Todd:

Other award changes are great. Production Design encompassing, I assume, costumes and sets and makeup, great decision. Ditto combining Animation and VFX, combining Score and Song, and adding Sound Design. Should make for a more efficient show and more recognition of work.

Yup, agree on all these changes being excellent (even if it means your chances of winning Best Animation have been downgraded from 'certain' to 'possible'...). I'm especially excited by a focus on Sound Design, since that's an area where I think if teams knew a bit more about how to polish that up, they could dramatically improve their films.

Just had another idea re: acting - what about an award for Best Actor, and an award for Best Ensemble? Sometimes a film doesn't have a single obvious stand-out (or perhaps the stand-outs simply don't individually get enough screentime to feel eligible), but the work of the cast as a whole could be recognised in this way.

TBALC
2017 - "Down 2 The Wire". . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2016 - "Down To The Wire" (Bechdel)
2016 - "Windows" (Mystery). . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2011 - "Band Of Bullies" (Quest)
2015 - "The Silent Man" (Mystery). . . . . . . . . . . . . . .2010 - "I Am Single" (Rom Com)
2014 - "The Ex" (Rom Com). . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2009 - "New Fish" (Musical)
2012 - "Nicky + Eve 19/5" (One Shot) . . . . . . . . . . .2007 - "Pain-Killer: The Sick Sense" (Superhero)

EVIL GENIUS LABS

TheNimbleMarmoset

(As an aside, is it not possible to edit posts on this forum anymore? The text down the bottom suggests it is, but I can't find the option anywhere.)

TBALC

EVIL GENIUS LABS

Mista Teas

in reply to TheNimbleMarmoset:

(As an aside, is it not possible to edit posts on this forum anymore? The text down the bottom suggests it is, but I can't find the option anywhere.)

Only for a short time. Then it vanishes!

Bloydd

in reply to Andrew Todd:

I personally would've gone to ten (or seven!) nominations for performances.

One nomination for every possible star rating on the reviews site.

what about an award for Best Actor, and an award for Best Ensemble? Sometimes a film doesn't have a single obvious stand-out (or perhaps the stand-outs simply don't individually get enough screentime to feel eligible), but the work of the cast as a whole could be recognised in this way.

I do like the idea of a Best Ensemble award, but I fear that my support for this could be interpreted as being against the idea of any other acting awards.

Richard Martin

Mista Teas

in reply to TheNimbleMarmoset:

Hard to think of alternative categories though.

I don't think you need them. If it must be best performer, then just have 10 or as many as there were stand out performances. In addition to the human race, this can include dogs, fish and couches (ha, ha) if necessary.

Rastinha
Since: Mar 2014

I think some of the award changes are good, however I'm not sure sure about the combination of animation and VFX, as they're quite different skillsets.

Take, for example, teams that produce fully animated films, by either rigging characters or doing lego stop motion etc. That's their whole weekend and is something you really have to know how to do. Sure, the scope of what you create is unlimited, you don't have to scout locations, but you also can't get 1 minute of your footage by just following a person with a camera, haha.

Then take VFX, some nominations from that to compete with the animation work above could be people that have downloaded royalty free AE effect templates, and applied them definitely with some skill to their edited video footage, but you don't really know who has created the VFX from scratch vs. who has integrated premade things.

Maybe it's not an issue in practice, and probably definitely less so at the national level, rather than regional, but I feel like a team getting best VFX for integrating very effectively some really good template stuff like explosions, gunfire, HUD type overlays or whatever else might come up, over a team who made a whole animation, would be kind of like giving best score to a team who chose perfect royalty free music for the mood of their film vs. a team who wrote the whole score themselves?

I do like the idea of a Best Ensemble award

I like this idea too. 5 min short films tend to either have one strong lead, because you can't develop multiple deep characters, or a clever duo or ensemble that maybe don't get as developed, or aren't stand out individual performances, but they really make the film collectively etc.

2019: "DopeMonkey Live" - Gross-out Comedy - Pastafarian Productions (Solo/ULTRA)
2018: "Heist School Musical" - Heist Movie - Pastafarian Productions (Regional Best Door Slam)
2017: "ESP" - Alien Movie - Pastafarian Productions (Regional Finalist)
2016: "The War on Error" - Cat & Mouse - Pastafarian Productions (Regional Finalist)
2015: "Us... But Mainly You" - Black Comedy - Pastafarian Productions (Regional Finalist)
2014: "Sphere" - Horror - Pastafarian Productions (Regional Finalist)
2009-2013: MIA
2008: "I Adore" - Drama - Conspiracion de las Palomitas
2007: "The Hazel Princess" - Fairytale - Conspiracion de las Palomitas
2006: "All Ur <3 R Belong 2 Me" - Romance - Popcorn Conspiracy

dramamike

With the departure from Best Actor and Best Actress, and the arrival of only one award, could we instead have joint Best Actors?
I also like the Best Ensemble idea.

2019 Depart'ners Buddy
2018 Thanks to the Academy Heist Ultra
2017 Forelsket Nutbar Films Buddy Sacrifice
2016 Con Troll Alt Delete Nutbar Films Horror Fan Favourite. City Finalist for Make-Up
2015 Hide and Seek Nutbar Films Mystery
2014 Confessions Nutbar, with a taste of Nimlin Film, within a film
2013 Made Maid Nutbar Films City Finalist for POV Shot Robot/Cyborg/Android
2012 I Still Dream in Colour Nutbar Films Action
2011 Raptured Golden Carrot Films Mystery
2010 Fraternal Fabrication Golden Carrot Films Twin
2009 I love you this much Golden Carrot Films Romance
2008 Luke Walker and the Golden Carrot William Shatner's Pants Animal

themorgan

It's really weird to combine VFX with animation, and score with song. They're so different, make such different contributions to a short and require such different skills. I can understand why you might want to cut things back in, say, BOP with like 3 teams, but in Auckland with 200 teams the finer granularity made good sense.

Frauleins, oh frauleins
2019 | Frank & Beans | Buddy Movie | ULTRA48 | DQ :) | Auckland Winner: Best Disqualified Film
2018 | MUST LOVE BOTS | Anti-RomCom | ULTRA48 | Heat 4 Audience Fav, Auckland Short List, Auckland Finalist: Best Script
2017 | I am ball 2 | Survival | ULTRA48
2016 | The Littlest Punk | Punk | Auckland finalist: Best Original Song
2015 | Crumbs | RomCom, Animated | DQ & Very bad!
2014 | I am ball | Musical, Animated | Auckland finalist: Best Use of Prop
2013 | Crybaby | Race Against Time | Boring!
2012 | S.U.L.A. | Urban Legend | Puppets
2011 | Kill Therapist | Revenge | Writer, Director, Actor | Notorious
2010 | Action Manu | Biopic | Writer, Director | Boring

Fractured Radius
2009 | All's Fair | Musical/Dance | Co-Writer
2008 | The End | Drama | Co-Writer | Auckland winner
2003 | F.I.T. | Cop/Crime | Peripheral

Bock_Simon
Since: Sep 2017

in reply to Mista Teas:

Totally agree with this - city finals would get a whole lot more buy in from the wider competing teams if there were a more even spread of awards.
Back when we started the awards had more of this going on - but over time they have been whittled down further and further and (almost) exclusively had city finalists as the nominees.

Spread the love and keep the engagement up.

Used to love the awards for best bad film, and weirdest use of genre etc.... lets poke some more fun at the comp and recognize where teams have gone right! Every film I saw in the heats had gems in them that deserve recognition beyond a finalist award.

JAGBOG
Just a Good Bunch of Guys

2018 - Eric & Leo
2017 - Night Guards - A Rising Tide Chronicle
2016 - (As 'Residual Talent') Sole Mates
2015 - Early To Rise
2014 - Rising Tide
2013 - 158
2012 - She'll Be Right 2 - Nah She Bloody Won't
2011 - She'll Be Right