VF48Hours Forum

Aplam
Since: Jan 2019

Feed for this Topic

As a beginner, should I use Final Cut Pro (10.3) or the Adobe Premiere?

I want to learn how to edit and create a workflow as soon as possible because I will basically make the same kind of video over and over ( know that every video is different but you get what I meant).

I heard that the new version of Final Cut is really great and solved a lot of the issues that people had with older versions. I heard it's stable and its interface is great for the kind of work I want to do.

But Adobe Premiere has a ton of tutorials on YouTube.

I personally prefer the FPCX interface (used both trials) but I feel like I'm missing something since the community (tutorials) of Premiere is giant, especially when it comes to little tricks that change your whole workflow, usually for the best.

So, what should I do? Final Cut has a nice interface and everything seems easier, on the other hand, Premiere has a lot of tutorials and a bigger community where I could get help faster.

Thanks.

CraigWB
Since: Apr 2011

The Final Cut Pro X tutorial community is hardly non existent. Larry Jordan, Macbreak Studio, and Ripple Training all make some fantastic stuff.

Personally I'd only ever recommend Final Cut but that's what I use. I haven't put a lot of effort into using Premiere since I haven't had any reason to use it much less any reason to cut anything on it. I just know that it seems to be widely used even though it seems to have a reputation for being highly unstable and is much, much slower than Final Cut Pro X.

Team Spielberg craigbickerstaff@me.com +64212166821
The longest running non-finalist in the competition.
2019 Burgled on High : Musical ULTRA
2018 The How, The What, The Who and The Why : The Heist Movie ULTRA
2017 Operator Part II Twin Souls : Thriller/Horror One Room ULTRA
2016 The Real Time Movie : What kind of day has it been
2015 Other Dimension Movie : Rift
2014 Race Against the Clock : EIGHT POINT FIVE
2013 Musical : Wolfgang
2012 Horror : The Unrested Soul
2011 One Room (Horror) : Operator -- Audience favourite
2010 Twin Movie : Secrets in Dowsing
2009 M Night Big Twist Film : The Unfinished
2008 Drama : Breakfast at Four
2007 War : Purple Heart
Sakura Productions
2006 Musical : Sardines
2005 Mockumentary : Smuggling for Dummies DQ'ed

MitaCarr
Since: Apr 2019

Apple iMovie, Adobe Premiere Elements, Adobe Premiere Pro and Apple Final Cut Pro X could be reliable choices for beginners.

NITRO
Since: Mar 2011

in reply to Aplam:

spend an hour or four with each of them and see which gel's better for you. If you read enough stuff you'll find too many people are religiously stuck on one of the other and rubbish the one they don't use, but I say go with what works for your personal style.

Also have a look at blackmagic design's DaVinci Resolve - thats a really powerful editor and free (costs for some real top end features but you won't need that for 48s)

this sig intentionally left blank - youtube
sponsored by photogear and fueled by fuel espresso … just need a pizza sponsor now :D

AJ
Since: May 2011

From my experience, and this is the experience of someone who uses Premiere, Premiere is more prone to crashing, but is WAAAAY easier to get a grip of. In my opinon, Final Cut is something you sit down and work out how to use over the course of a couple of days, while Premiere is mostly self explanatory.

Christchurch City Manager 2018-2019 | My Favourite 48Hour Films | The 48Hours Podcast

Les Cousins Dangereux
2017 Not Again (Alien)
Christchurch Runner-Up | National Finalist (Peter Jackson Wildcard)
2016 A Time and a Place (Time Travel) ( Behind the Scenes Video)
NA
2015 #apocalypse2k15 (The Last Person on Earth) ( Behind the Scenes Video)
Christchurch City Finalist/Best Art Direction
2014 Something New (RomCom)
Christchurch Runner-Up/Best Use of Line/Best Script/Best Original Song/Best Editing | National Best Use of Prop
2013 Bourbon Legends (Crime)
NA

synthopolis
Since: Apr 2011

Every editor we have had has used their personal favourite. As long as they know how to drive it, all should be well for you.

Personally I stick to Vegas due to it being born/based on an audio editing framework originally (my dark non-filmic background). My camera guy is totally Final Cut Pro. My effects friend is into Premiere - Horses for courses.

2019 - "Miss Galaxy 3000" - SciFi - (School Team) - Christchurch
2018 - "Blood Red Ted" - The Splatstick Movie - ULTRA48 - Christchurch (DQ'ed)
2017 - "NEXUS 2 - Redemption" - Fantasy/Fairytale - ULTRA48 - Christchurch (DQ'ed)
2016 - "NEXUS" - Dystopian Movie - Christchurch
2015 - "Armabreaddon" - Other Dimension - Christchurch (DQ'ed)
2014 - "Mimicker" - Horror/Splatter - Christchurch
2013 - "Best Served Cold" - Crime - Christchurch
2012 - "Love Grinds" - Romantic Comedy - Christchurch
2011 - "Taurine Rising" - Superhero - Christchurch
2010 - "Silenced Night" - Femme Fatale - Christchurch
2009 - "The Judas Strain" - Conspiracy - Dunedin

videoamp1969
Since: May 2011

If you have used imovie then go with Final Cut, it's imovie on steroids. I have used it for years and find it simple and fast. I work in a school and we have dumped our Macs for PC's and students now have to use Premier Pro and I get lost so many times. Final Cut is easier if you have a limited time for learning.

2019TIC - Tatooed Banjos-
2019TIC - Kitty Gorls-
2019 TIC - The Thirteen-
2019 TIC - Girls-
2019 TIC - Fresh Prince of Bel Air-
2019 TIC - Round Table Productions-
2019 Editor - Nang Sun-
2018 Editor - The Reality Wizards-"Speak Up"
2018 TIC - Titanic Swim Team-"Balloon"
2018 TIC - Utopia Studios-"The Game of Life"
2018 TIC - Round Table Productions-"Death by Natural Causes"
2018 TIC - The Thirteen-"An Unfortunate Development"
2018 TIC - Tattooed Banjos-"Installing"
2018 TIC - Silver Stars-"The Black Phantom"
2017 TIC - Round Table Productions- "???"
TIC - The Three Shushes- "Damsel"
2017 TIC - Lame Name- "Logan the Bogan" (3rd Audience Favourite)
2017 TIC - Pingkee and The Pitts- "Fierce"
2016 TIC - Team Wannab- "Strings Attached" (City Winner -Spirit of the Competition Award. Nominated for; Best Make Up, Best School Team)
TIC - Af Rican Good Time- "Guess Who?" (2nd Audience Favourite, Nominated for, Best School Team)
TIC - Abra Cadaver- "Charlie's Psychosis" (2nd Audience Favourite)
TIC - The Rowing Team "Wool they wake up?"
2015 TIC - Tanfastic- "Command"
2015 TIC - The Darkest Timeline- "Walking in Pain"
2014 TIC - Vatican Daycare- "Slumber" (Audience Favourite, Nominated for;
Best Cinematography, Rialto Rising Talent, Best School Team)

2014 TIC - Proximity- "Relapse"
2014 TIC - Chookie- "The Diary of Morgan Foster"
2013 TIC - Procrasti Nation- "Joker" (City Winner - Incredibly Strange Best Bad Film)
2013 TIC - 2 Cameras 1 Film- "The Way Forward?" (Audience Favourite)
2013 TIC - Man Over The Fence- "Drama Queen"
2013 TIC - Is That Kaiapoi?!- "Inside The Mind"
2012 TIC - JK-"Lucky in Love" (National Winner - Rialto Rising Talent Award, Audience Favourite)
2012 TIC - Dividing by Zero- "Shadow in the Woods" (Nominated for City-Incredibly Strange Best Bad Film)
2012 TIC - Who Gave Us That Camera Bro- "Can You Be A SuperHero? (2nd Audience Favourite)
2012 TIC - Stickey Fingers- "Before the devil knows ur dead"
2011 TIC - Da Decepticons- "Kylie's Corner" (2nd Audience Favourite)
2011 TIC -The Filthy Ninjas- "Burden of our Memories"