VF48Hours 2020 Forum

Mrs Grumbley
Since: Jun 2013

Feed for this Topic

No city sponsors/prizes?

Was there an announcement made about this? I'd love to know the rationale behind it - I'm guessing possibly that the smaller areas wouldn't have access to the same level or number of prizes from sponsors, so in the interests of fairness they were canned.

That's just my theory, though - it just struck me at the end of the Wellington final last night that one of the reasons it was all done and dusted so quickly was because there was no mention of prizes during the presentation of the awards. I've attended (not necessarily as a finalist!) the finals most years since 2006 and the prizes have not always been there, but it seemed they were increasing over the years, so it's odd for them to all be just cut off cold turkey, with no fanfare.

Does anyone have the inside scoop? And what are people's feelings about it?

Mista Teas
Since: Apr 2011

in reply to daronjay:

I'm sure Andrew will put together a great show in Christchurch.

He does.

After an amusing opening monologue the films play and then the awards are distributed following short clips of each nominee. Simple, logical and effective!

SCREENING NOW: End - Real Time; CHCH25s
REVISIT: The Stile - Star-crossed Lovers; ULTRA48; CHCH25s

Everything Sticks since 2008
48Hr Films 2008-2019 48Sec Films 2008-2016

Mista Teas (Stu Gilpin) NATIONAL WINNER "Best/Most Prolific Reviewer" 2011 REVIEWS ARCHIVE

Mista Teas

Quick registration numbers search for Wellington over the last five years.

2015 - 156
2014 - 185
2013 - 229
2012 - 209
2011 - 185

Take from it what you will!

SCREENING NOW: End - Real Time; CHCH25s
REVISIT: The Stile - Star-crossed Lovers; ULTRA48; CHCH25s

Everything Sticks since 2008
48Hr Films 2008-2019 48Sec Films 2008-2016

Mista Teas (Stu Gilpin) NATIONAL WINNER "Best/Most Prolific Reviewer" 2011 REVIEWS ARCHIVE

themorgan

in reply to dramamike:

I don't think all awards need to come with huge prizes, but I doubt anyone would complain about $50 or $100 from a company.

Frankly I don't think many people give a fuck about prizes. I don't even know what any of the prizes are. Cast some more Apees and have done with it. All I want is an Apee of my own. That and a bit of recognition (if I ever make another good short, anyway) are more than enough by far.

Frauleins, oh frauleins
2019 | Frank & Beans | Buddy Movie | ULTRA48 | DQ :) | Auckland Winner: Best Disqualified Film
2018 | MUST LOVE BOTS | Anti-RomCom | ULTRA48 | Heat 4 Audience Fav, Auckland Short List, Auckland Finalist: Best Script
2017 | I am ball 2 | Survival | ULTRA48
2016 | The Littlest Punk | Punk | Auckland finalist: Best Original Song
2015 | Crumbs | RomCom, Animated | DQ & Very bad!
2014 | I am ball | Musical, Animated | Auckland finalist: Best Use of Prop
2013 | Crybaby | Race Against Time | Boring!
2012 | S.U.L.A. | Urban Legend | Puppets
2011 | Kill Therapist | Revenge | Writer, Director, Actor | Notorious
2010 | Action Manu | Biopic | Writer, Director | Boring

Fractured Radius
2009 | All's Fair | Musical/Dance | Co-Writer
2008 | The End | Drama | Co-Writer | Auckland winner
2003 | F.I.T. | Cop/Crime | Peripheral

Newsboy
Since: May 2011

I agree that it's not about the prizes. It's about the fun of making a short film, and the excitement of getting possible recognition in front of a theatre full of like-minded individuals.

Getting nominated for something is exhilarating, and a certificate (and the excited clapping from those around you) is more than enough.

2007: Solitaire
2008: F*Dance (National winner)
2009: Mime and Punishment
2010: Art
2011: Nubbin' But Trouble
2012: FETUS 5000
2013: Fist Cop
2014: Man Day
2015: Beyond the Fridge
2016: DICKS
2017: Cameo'd in 11 films.
2019: The Big Number.

Most films linked above are the tidied up Director's cuts. Not indicative of what was handed in

dramamike

Done.

2019 Depart'ners Buddy
2018 Thanks to the Academy Heist Ultra
2017 Forelsket Nutbar Films Buddy Sacrifice
2016 Con Troll Alt Delete Nutbar Films Horror Fan Favourite. City Finalist for Make-Up
2015 Hide and Seek Nutbar Films Mystery
2014 Confessions Nutbar, with a taste of Nimlin Film, within a film
2013 Made Maid Nutbar Films City Finalist for POV Shot Robot/Cyborg/Android
2012 I Still Dream in Colour Nutbar Films Action
2011 Raptured Golden Carrot Films Mystery
2010 Fraternal Fabrication Golden Carrot Films Twin
2009 I love you this much Golden Carrot Films Romance
2008 Luke Walker and the Golden Carrot William Shatner's Pants Animal

Newsboy
Since: May 2011

<3

2007: Solitaire
2008: F*Dance (National winner)
2009: Mime and Punishment
2010: Art
2011: Nubbin' But Trouble
2012: FETUS 5000
2013: Fist Cop
2014: Man Day
2015: Beyond the Fridge
2016: DICKS
2017: Cameo'd in 11 films.
2019: The Big Number.

Most films linked above are the tidied up Director's cuts. Not indicative of what was handed in

Hurley89
Since: Jun 2015

Not saying the only reason people do this comp is because of the prizes but around 7 years ago the top prize was worth over $100,000.00 with tvs, sound sytems, cameras, cash, post production all up for grabs and the comp was huge and prestigious. The finals would screen on TV and the whole thing was such an event. Now with the national prize considerably less, the coverage less and the regional prizes just becoming certificates for all the big awards it does feel the competition and hype is really dropping. Best actors use to win cash, editors would win hard drives, cinematographers a camera, runner ups cash and movie tickets, even the audiience awards won a subscription to 'On Film' magazine. Now Its just a piece of paper and a very rushed finals ceremony that really breezes over all the work done. Ill never stop doing the comp and have never made it to the finals but always loved heading along as it was the greatest wellington film night with incredible films. The films I saw the other night were brilliant but the way it was all run and how the winners were rewarded just made it feel so much smaller than its ever been. The way the comp is going with sponsors and numbers dropping I worry the future of it isn't looking too bright. Is 48 hour heading in the same direction as the Rugby 7s and Big Day Out, things that were the highlight of so many peoples year and would sell out in minutes, but when not run right the people who use to partake just give up being a part of it anymore.

Section59

Making vague accusations of 'match-fixing' are not only childish, they also diminish the efforts of ALL the teams.

Section59 Films
www.Section59.co.nz

2007 - Death Nurse (Grindhouse)
2008 - The Orphan and the Inn (Fairy Tale)
2009 - Larger Than Life (Realtime)
2010 - We took a holiday :)
2011 - Crime of the Centuries (Crime)
2012 - Pronoia (Crime) - Christchurch team: Intelligent Design
2012 - S.H.A.R.P. (Superhero) - Wellington team: Random Acts
2013 - Breath of the Gods (Techno Thriller) - Christchurch team: Intelligent Design
2013 - Scooter Girl (Obsessive Relationship) - Wellington team: Random Acts
2014 - Repute (Film Within A Film) - Christchurch team: Intelligent Design
2014 - The Talented Mr Chancey (Mistaken Identity) - Wellington team: Random Acts
2015 - In Bread, Love. (Romantic Comedy) - Christchurch team: Intelligent Design
2015 - Stealing Thoughts (Other Dimension) - Wellington team: Random Acts

Cardinal

It's a tricky one. Don't want to be that "back in the day, everything was better" guy, but there is that sort of feeling. Wellington down more than 70 teams from 2 years ago - that is a lot. Even though it's fair to say no-one enters for the prizes (I'd agree), you can't help but notice they're trending downwards. In Chch we're now missing a lot of the teams that used to be regular finalists. I have no idea what the answers are (I suspect it's mostly to do with the ennui that creeps into any long running thing), bu it would be nice to find a bit of a second wind somehow.

Mrs Grumbley

in reply to Mrs Grumbley:

Taking advantage of finals-related action - can someone who attended another city's regional finals tell us if there were prizes in cities other than Wellington? Ta!

Cardinal

in reply to Mrs Grumbley:

Taking advantage of finals-related action - can someone who attended another city's regional finals tell us if there were prizes in cities other than Wellington? Ta!

Not in Chch, apart from the Canon cinematography prize – which slightly weirdly is now worth more than twice as much as actually winning, in straight dollar value terms. But I guess that's sponsorship for you.

Oh, I think one award had one of those little Gorilla bendy go-anywhere tripods attached to it? Can't remember which one, though.

Searlo

in reply to Cardinal:

Editing!

TBALC
2019: D.O.C FORCE: DEATH ISLAND
2018: THE SPARES
2017: DOWN 2 THE WIRE
2016: DOWN TO THE WIRE
2016: WINDOWS
2015: THE SILENT MAN
2014: THE EX
2013: QUARRELSOME HEAT
2012: NICKY + EVE 19/5
2011: BAND OF BULLIES
2010: I AM SINGLE
2009: NEW FISH
2008: UBERMENSCH
2007: PAINKILLER: THE SICK SENSE
2006: WORM FLU AND YOU

Jay Baker
Since: May 2015

Nope, nothing in Hamilton either...

-------------------
Bad George, Hamilton

Mrs Grumbley

Okay, cool, so it's a competition-wide decision, then. Thanks, folks. Would love to know the official reasoning, but at least it's even-handed! :)