VF48Hours Lockdown Forum

NITRO
Since: Mar 2011

Feed for this Topic

Rules Questions

I've noticed a small but ?interesting? change in the rules

14. Cast and crew can be volunteers or professionals.

In the past I think it said "all cast and crew must be volunteers. you can't pay people to be in the team"

Does this mean I can call up a pro actor and tease them with cash? hire PJ as as my 1AD? (no I can't afford that really...)

this sig intentionally left blank - youtube
sponsored by photogear and fueled by fuel espresso … just need a pizza sponsor now :D

dramamike
Since: Apr 2011

I love that everyone reads the rules more closely than I do.
I read that as you do. 48 Hours has gone professional.
Not sure how many will actually do so, but it may impact on some teams. I think the majority of teams are looking for a fun weekend, rather than trying to make a Sundance winning film.

2020 Lockdown The Nutbar News at Nine Urban Fantasy
2019 Depart'ners Buddy
2018 Thanks to the Academy Heist Ultra
2017 Forelsket Nutbar Films Buddy Sacrifice
2016 Con Troll Alt Delete Nutbar Films Horror Fan Favourite. City Finalist for Make-Up
2015 Hide and Seek Nutbar Films Mystery
2014 Confessions Nutbar, with a taste of Nimlin Film, within a film
2013 Made Maid Nutbar Films City Finalist for POV Shot Robot/Cyborg/Android
2012 I Still Dream in Colour Nutbar Films Action
2011 Raptured Golden Carrot Films Mystery
2010 Fraternal Fabrication Golden Carrot Films Twin
2009 I love you this much Golden Carrot Films Romance
2008 Luke Walker and the Golden Carrot William Shatner's Pants Animal

lightandplanetary
Since: Apr 2014

I think it's kinda a bummer to have that in there, the worst thing that could happen to this competition IMO is for people who have a budget to have an unfair advantage, or for talent/crew to go where they are paid more.

2016 THE DEER IN THE DAWN - Busted Satellite Films
2015 SNIPE! - Busted Satellite Films
2014 MEET ME AT THE ALTAR - Busted Satellite Films
2013 MOEBIUS TRIP - Team Carnivorous Morrissey
2012 SURCEASE - Hybrid Motion Pictures

tarlen

in reply to lightandplanetary:

I'd change that to "people who have a budget to have MORE OF an advantage".

Teams that could fork out for decent cameras, lightning, editing software etc have always had an advantage, but it has been tempered somewhat by the need to have unpaid cast and crew, meaning they might not be able to attract good people to use the equipment to it's best.

That may change now, and it makes me sad too.

2010 - "Lift" (Ghost - Lighting/FX) - Late
2009 - "Omnipedia" (Religious - Producer/Editor)
2008 - "The Perfectionist" (Superhero - Producer/Director/Editor)
2007 - "Bane" (Monster - Producer/Director/Editor)
2005 - "Super Boy Meets Girl" (Superhero - FX)
2004 - "House of Raging Women" (Educational - FX)

CraigWB

I wonder how long it'll be until Bruce Willis is doing a half assed performance in a 48hours film.

Team Spielberg craigbickerstaff@me.com +64212166821
The longest running non-finalist in the competition.
2020 Lockdown Read, are the tea leaves : The Unwanted Guest
2019 Burgled on High : Musical ULTRA
2018 The How, The What, The Who and The Why : The Heist Movie ULTRA
2017 Operator Part II Twin Souls : Thriller/Horror One Room ULTRA
2016 The Real Time Movie : What kind of day has it been
2015 Other Dimension Movie : Rift
2014 Race Against the Clock : EIGHT POINT FIVE
2013 Musical : Wolfgang
2012 Horror : The Unrested Soul
2011 One Room (Horror) : Operator -- Audience favourite
2010 Twin Movie : Secrets in Dowsing
2009 M Night Big Twist Film : The Unfinished
2008 Drama : Breakfast at Four
2007 War : Purple Heart
Sakura Productions
2006 Musical : Sardines
2005 Mockumentary : Smuggling for Dummies DQ'ed

dramamike

in reply to CraigWB:

More likely to get Mel Gibson first

2020 Lockdown The Nutbar News at Nine Urban Fantasy
2019 Depart'ners Buddy
2018 Thanks to the Academy Heist Ultra
2017 Forelsket Nutbar Films Buddy Sacrifice
2016 Con Troll Alt Delete Nutbar Films Horror Fan Favourite. City Finalist for Make-Up
2015 Hide and Seek Nutbar Films Mystery
2014 Confessions Nutbar, with a taste of Nimlin Film, within a film
2013 Made Maid Nutbar Films City Finalist for POV Shot Robot/Cyborg/Android
2012 I Still Dream in Colour Nutbar Films Action
2011 Raptured Golden Carrot Films Mystery
2010 Fraternal Fabrication Golden Carrot Films Twin
2009 I love you this much Golden Carrot Films Romance
2008 Luke Walker and the Golden Carrot William Shatner's Pants Animal

NITRO

I personally doubt it would be of any advantage at all. I do remember we had a worry one year where we hired a crane ... and the crane operator of course came with it. Grey areas eliminated.

As is often said - it's the idea and story that counts.

this sig intentionally left blank - youtube
sponsored by photogear and fueled by fuel espresso … just need a pizza sponsor now :D

Viva La Booba

I've heard rumours that in previous years the hire of professionals has come under a nebulous so called "gear hire" arrangement. So perhaps nothing is actually changing on a practical basis.

“We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.”

Oscar Wilde

jjosland
Since: May 2015

I know the film duration is 5minutes- but I am having trouble fitting in all my death scenes. Does anybody know if the "Made as part of HP48hours 2016" be outside of the 5 minutes? And how long does it need to be on the screen for?

I haven't been able to find it specifically written in the rules.

Thanks,
Mad Scientists

Mad Scientists
2020 Any Portal Will Do In A StormWho dunnit
2019 (School team producer: Breens B-Roll) Timeslingers Time Travel Film Christchurch Nominee for Best School Team, Christchurch Nominee for Best use of Genre
2019 (School team producer: Mini Mad Scientists) Miss Galaxy 3000 Science Fiction Film
Mad Scientists
2018 We'll just have to do things the long wayStar Crossed Lovers(ULTRA) Christchurch Best Art Direction Nominee
2017 Uber Cyborg 2.0 Sci-Fi Love (ULTRA)
2016 Wrong Target Mistaken Identity |Christchurch Most Incredibly Strange Best Bad Film Nominee|Christchurch Best Art Direction Nominee
2015 Uber Cyborg Science gone mad |Christchurch Most Incredibly Strange Best Bad Movie|Christchurch Best Costume Nominee
2014 One Man Army Against the Odds |National Most Incredibly Strange Best Bad Film|Christchurch Best Team Intro
2011 Humpty Dumpty: The Untold Story Mystery
2009 Blackout Superhero
2008 Take As Prescribed Horror (Disqualified for being over length)
Nervous Poop
2010 48Hours Later Musical | Christchurch Best Bad Film Runner Up
Gorilla Pictures
2006 Rubix Dude and Wheelchair Mania Superhero Film | Christchurch Finalist, Christchurch Best Original Score, Christchurch Best Use Of Character, Christchurch Best Screenplay
2005 Mr Fluffy and the Robot Sci-Fi (Disqualified- 4 minutes late)

CraigWB

in reply to jjosland:

Made as a part of HP48hours 2016 is part of the credits and therefore part of the film. So it has to be in the 5 minutes and I don't think there is a time for that but you should probably make it longer then 1 frame.

Team Spielberg craigbickerstaff@me.com +64212166821
The longest running non-finalist in the competition.
2020 Lockdown Read, are the tea leaves : The Unwanted Guest
2019 Burgled on High : Musical ULTRA
2018 The How, The What, The Who and The Why : The Heist Movie ULTRA
2017 Operator Part II Twin Souls : Thriller/Horror One Room ULTRA
2016 The Real Time Movie : What kind of day has it been
2015 Other Dimension Movie : Rift
2014 Race Against the Clock : EIGHT POINT FIVE
2013 Musical : Wolfgang
2012 Horror : The Unrested Soul
2011 One Room (Horror) : Operator -- Audience favourite
2010 Twin Movie : Secrets in Dowsing
2009 M Night Big Twist Film : The Unfinished
2008 Drama : Breakfast at Four
2007 War : Purple Heart
Sakura Productions
2006 Musical : Sardines
2005 Mockumentary : Smuggling for Dummies DQ'ed

jjosland

Thanks! I fixed it.

Mad Scientists
2019 (School team producer: Breens B-Roll) Timeslingers Time Travel Film Christchurch Nominee for Best School Team, Christchurch Nominee for Best use of Genre
2019 (School team producer: Mini Mad Scientists) Miss Galaxy 3000 Science Fiction Film
Mad Scientists
2018 We'll just have to do things the long wayStar Crossed Lovers(ULTRA) Christchurch Best Art Direction Nominee
2016 Wrong Target Mistaken Identity |Christchurch Most Incredibly Strange Best Bad Film Nominee|Christchurch Best Art Direction Nominee
2015 Uber Cyborg Science gone mad |Christchurch Most Incredibly Strange Best Bad Movie|Christchurch Best Costume Nominee
2014 One Man Army Against the Odds |National Most Incredibly Strange Best Bad Film|Christchurch Best Team Intro
2009 Blackout Superhero
Nervous Poop
Gorilla Pictures
2006 Rubix Dude and Wheelchair Mania Superhero Film | Christchurch Finalist, Christchurch Best Original Score, Christchurch Best Use Of Character, Christchurch Best Screenplay

jjosland

Next year I am considering a sky-diving sequence. Would I be allowed to include stills from Google Earth to use as background plates?

Mad Scientists
Mad Scientists
2009 Blackout Superhero
Nervous Poop
Gorilla Pictures

Manta

in reply to jjosland:

Greensreen plates can be pre-shot or stock images/footage as long as they are copyright free. I checked this with Ant before embarking on my green screen attempt this year. Basically treat it like 3D animation.

Actually I think we used Google Earth back in 2007... now I think about it though, it's probably not copyright free... lol.

Team Just 2 Guys... only I'm just one guy... one fat guy... so I guess I am two guys?

jjosland

Thanks- They do offer free TV/Film license

I am wondering if anybody on these threads has ever applied or received any?

If not getting one specifically, they appear fine with it as long as the google attribution is embedded into the content. I would prefer not to have this in the majority of shots though.

Would be cool to use for a feature- I think the technology is well within reach.

Mad Scientists
Mad Scientists
2009 Blackout Superhero
Nervous Poop
Gorilla Pictures

themorgan

I don't think this is a safe move at all. Get aerial photos with licenses that explicitly allow both derivative and commercial use, or build your own background plates from CC licensed or public domain elements. I don't think Google actually owns most of the imagery they use, they license it from third parties, so as tempting as it seems I suspect it's actually a bit of a dead end for use in this comp.

Frauleins, oh frauleins
2020 | The Scary One with the Kid in the Photo | Unwanted Guest | LOCKDOWN | ...
2019 | Frank & Beans | Buddy Movie | ULTRA48 | DQ :) | Auckland Winner: Best Disqualified Film
2018 | MUST LOVE BOTS | Anti-RomCom | ULTRA48 | Heat 4 Audience Fav, Auckland Short List, Auckland Finalist: Best Script
2017 | I am ball 2 | Survival | ULTRA48
2016 | The Littlest Punk | Punk | Auckland finalist: Best Original Song
2015 | Crumbs | RomCom, Animated | DQ & Very bad!
2014 | I am ball | Musical, Animated | Auckland finalist: Best Use of Prop
2013 | Crybaby | Race Against Time | Boring!
2012 | S.U.L.A. | Urban Legend | Puppets
2011 | Kill Therapist | Revenge | Writer, Director, Actor | Notorious
2010 | Action Manu | Biopic | Writer, Director | Boring

Fractured Radius
2009 | All's Fair | Musical/Dance | Co-Writer
2008 | The End | Drama | Co-Writer | Auckland winner
2003 | F.I.T. | Cop/Crime | Peripheral

jjosland

Thanks for the insight- will definitely look into such photos.

I remember the first time I saw I am Ball and wondering where all the images for it came from.

Great song! We had planned to do something similar where a ball bounces along changing people's lives- the vectors etc being against the odds but realised it would be too hard so we just had people getting shot over and over again.

Love your work!

Mad Scientists
Mad Scientists
2009 Blackout Superhero
Nervous Poop
Gorilla Pictures

themorgan

in reply to jjosland:

I remember the first time I saw I am Ball and wondering where all the images for it came from.

They're creative commons and public domain photos from flickr (they have a special search tool that filters by license type).

It took forever cutting/filling/cloning and breaking out into layers in AE to make the 2.5D effect work then almost no one even noticed. :D

Frauleins, oh frauleins
2020 | The Scary One with the Kid in the Photo | Unwanted Guest | LOCKDOWN | ...
2019 | Frank & Beans | Buddy Movie | ULTRA48 | DQ :) | Auckland Winner: Best Disqualified Film
2018 | MUST LOVE BOTS | Anti-RomCom | ULTRA48 | Heat 4 Audience Fav, Auckland Short List, Auckland Finalist: Best Script
2017 | I am ball 2 | Survival | ULTRA48
2016 | The Littlest Punk | Punk | Auckland finalist: Best Original Song
2015 | Crumbs | RomCom, Animated | DQ & Very bad!
2014 | I am ball | Musical, Animated | Auckland finalist: Best Use of Prop
2013 | Crybaby | Race Against Time | Boring!
2012 | S.U.L.A. | Urban Legend | Puppets
2011 | Kill Therapist | Revenge | Writer, Director, Actor | Notorious
2010 | Action Manu | Biopic | Writer, Director | Boring

Fractured Radius
2009 | All's Fair | Musical/Dance | Co-Writer
2008 | The End | Drama | Co-Writer | Auckland winner
2003 | F.I.T. | Cop/Crime | Peripheral

jjosland

Yep they looked fantastic the way you layered them- I loved the subtle movements!

Mad Scientists
Mad Scientists
2009 Blackout Superhero
Nervous Poop
Gorilla Pictures