VF48Hours Lockdown Forum

miriamruthross
Since: Apr 2014

Feed for this Topic

Disqualification

Just wondering how teams find out if they are disqualified. Missing the time deadline is obvious but I have seen some teams post that they have been disqualified for minor things. Do they get emailed before the heats or do you turn up and find out on the night. I tripled checked the rules before handing in but I guess I'm still a little paranoid. I'd hate to bring my team to the heats and have them disappointed on the night that we failed on a minor issue.

SloppyJoe

The NP officials have told everyone (except the main winning film) to post their films in the screening room! Im new at this and our film didn't get anywhere near the finals so doesn't effect me but that is wrong isn't it?? Taranaki management need to get their crap together!

dramamike
Since: Apr 2011

in reply to nimlin:

You've been gone?

In other news, I hope someone significant in the hierarchy of the comp is going to act swiftly on this, before the entire competition is put at risk.

Amazed that the way Taranaki (read the city manager and judges) have let this through. Gobsmacked at the incompetence and recklessness of it.

If the organisers of a city don't know the basics of copyright then they shouldn't be organisers.

It should be a priority of the national organisers to ensure that things like this are drummed into their city managers.

2020 Lockdown The Nutbar News at Nine Urban Fantasy
2019 Depart'ners Buddy
2018 Thanks to the Academy Heist Ultra
2017 Forelsket Nutbar Films Buddy Sacrifice
2016 Con Troll Alt Delete Nutbar Films Horror Fan Favourite. City Finalist for Make-Up
2015 Hide and Seek Nutbar Films Mystery
2014 Confessions Nutbar, with a taste of Nimlin Film, within a film
2013 Made Maid Nutbar Films City Finalist for POV Shot Robot/Cyborg/Android
2012 I Still Dream in Colour Nutbar Films Action
2011 Raptured Golden Carrot Films Mystery
2010 Fraternal Fabrication Golden Carrot Films Twin
2009 I love you this much Golden Carrot Films Romance
2008 Luke Walker and the Golden Carrot William Shatner's Pants Animal

Meatloaf
Since: Jun 2012

in reply to nimlin:

yes I have missed you guys as well

Ah, Nimlin ... welcome back. Even though I often disagreed with your posting in the past, I just want to say I have missed your pokes and jibes during this years forum sessions. They always livened things us and got people debating and talking. That didn't happen much this year.

nimlin

in reply to Meatloaf:

thanks Meatloaf ( aww warm fuzzies )
I just sometimes wonder where this competition is going and for what reasons.
I can be cynical and bloody annoying just to make a point but my years of experience must have some standing here just like other regulars. it is really hard to keep ones mouth shut when people use the '' we are noobs'' line or didn't know. I was at the start of 48hrs in welly, but outside as I had a stomach virus and didn't want to vomit on anybody, and I was surprised with the amount of people in the foyer with the doors shut looking through the window all busy on their electronic devises. I think maybe this comp has past it's use by date or needs a huge reshuffle and the only rule that I have seen in the comp over the last 10 years is the time limit of 48hrs everything can be whatever you want.......just saying awaits the backlash :)

YouTube has my stuff

http://nz.youtube.com/nimlin

the coffee pixie has been freed! yay! all is good in the world. someone please save Nimlin!
Otaki is the centre of the universe!
(because Aunty Hira said so, and she should know)

droolingmonkey
Since: Apr 2012

in reply to nimlin:

the time limit of 48hrs

(cough) 49 hours this year...(cough)

Meatloaf

in reply to nimlin:

maybe this comp has past it's use by date or needs a huge reshuffle

Now that's more like it ... but let's take it a step further. What would you (or anyone else) do differently next year? Here's one idea:

Reduce the genre's down to six strong ones (e.g Horror, Musical, Rom-Com/Comedy, Road, Drama, Thriller, Mystery, Sci Fi) and not weak or dubious sub-genres (e.g Fad, One Shot, One Room, Robots). None of these latter items are genres in my view, they are "requirements".

Treat each category separately when picking the Regional finalists, so best two in each genre get screened. Certificate and small cash prize (like $500) to the regional winner in each genre then have Winner & Runner up across all genre's for more major prizes, plus the usual individual actor, script, etc recognitions.

Same approach for the National Final plus two wild cards of any genre from Sir Peter. So at the Final we'd see the nations' best two films for each genre. Or cut back on all the cringe-worthy and/or awkward presenter time and show us 3 in each category at the National final.

Just in case anyone starts up again on the whole two tier comp thing (please don't), I'd say strongly NO to that, but like Nimlin I do wonder if the format needs a bit of tweaking to keep it fresh and to maintain enthusiasm levels.

nimlin

and it starts...... ;) 49 hrs this year they could have kept it to 48 hrs would have made things interesting

YouTube has my stuff

the coffee pixie has been freed! yay! all is good in the world. someone please save Nimlin!

nimlin

in reply to Meatloaf:

a year off from the forums has done me good, I agree with you meatloaf and I like dramamikes' idea of adding a song to your film as a technical requirement, and before anybody jumps down my throat you don't need musicians to make a song, hitting a stick on a rock can be music. as long as it is not copy written.

as for the two tier thing please let it die, a film with all the wazzbag toys and film makers can still suck if the story sucks, but should look good and sound good.

maybe have judges that are not on crack cocaine judging and having people judging that have a passion for this comp. e.g damn you steel spud your reviews were missed but you have moved forward for the good of this competition to become a judge ( and the cheque is in the mail along with the chocolates )
maybe next year there should be a shake up and if you are going to have rules everybody should be on the same page and those who are not get DQ'd not exceptions........just thinking aloud

YouTube has my stuff

themorgan

in reply to nimlin:

49 hrs this year they could have kept it to 48 hrs would have made things interesting

I put a bit of thought into this before the announcement and my conclusion was that the smartest thing to do is act like daylight savings doesn't happen - the same conclusion the organisers came to. Keep the start and finish at 7pm and ignore the extra hour. The comp may be called 48 hours but really the duration matters less than the strictness of the deadline.

if you are going to have rules everybody should be on the same page and those who are not get DQ'd not exceptions

Agree. Some shorts boggle me that they haven't been DQ'd. This is a problem we've seen in the Taranaki comp before. But I've also seen a couple of very questionable shorts in Auckland this year.

Frauleins, oh frauleins
2020 | The Scary One with the Kid in the Photo | Unwanted Guest | LOCKDOWN | ...
2019 | Frank & Beans | Buddy Movie | ULTRA48 | DQ :) | Auckland Winner: Best Disqualified Film
2018 | MUST LOVE BOTS | Anti-RomCom | ULTRA48 | Heat 4 Audience Fav, Auckland Short List, Auckland Finalist: Best Script
2017 | I am ball 2 | Survival | ULTRA48
2016 | The Littlest Punk | Punk | Auckland finalist: Best Original Song
2015 | Crumbs | RomCom, Animated | DQ & Very bad!
2014 | I am ball | Musical, Animated | Auckland finalist: Best Use of Prop
2013 | Crybaby | Race Against Time | Boring!
2012 | S.U.L.A. | Urban Legend | Puppets
2011 | Kill Therapist | Revenge | Writer, Director, Actor | Notorious
2010 | Action Manu | Biopic | Writer, Director | Boring

Fractured Radius
2009 | All's Fair | Musical/Dance | Co-Writer
2008 | The End | Drama | Co-Writer | Auckland winner
2003 | F.I.T. | Cop/Crime | Peripheral

SloppyJoe

Im very much an amateur in comparison to a lot of the teams and I think that is the beauty of the comp that us novices can have a blast in a competition where some of the best talent from around the country puts their best foot forward. But I Don't think the competition should should pander to us if we don't follow the rules - I kind of get the feeling at the local level here at least that it is - oh don't DQ them it might put them off competing next year... that is NOT the spirit of this competition IMO - it is and should be STRICT a taste of what the real industry is like, if I fail or am DQ'd I can learn from it and come back the next year stronger. If its all "no its all good" then no one will learn anything plus it puts the whole comp at risk.

Section59

Binding my Lawful Neutral helm, I feel compelled to enter the fray.

Nimlin, welcome back etc. All that needs to be said about your second coming, has been.

It seems to me that 48 Hours is maturing in its lifecycle, and the organisers might want to take heed of this. It is natural for organisations to develop and change as they grow and this should be managed, not ignored.

Firstly though, let me say this: Ant Timpson and the others behind 48 Hours must always be held in awe and respect because they started it all, they worked their butts off to make it a succeess, and they are here today still - despite probably having much better things to do or opportunities to chase. Big ups to you.

So with sincere respect let me agree in principle with the previous posters in this thread and offer my opinion that for 48 Hours to continue for another 12 years it really needs an overhaul. Here are my suggestions:

1. Review the rules. Consult with the participants in the process, much the same way Parliament uses select committees to create/amend laws. Ultimately it is the organiser's decision on what the rules are, but giving everyone a say in the process produces a lot of extra buy-in and ideas;

2. Create a simple system that means the rules are adhered to. Perhaps have an appeal process. Or maybe not. I mean, so long as the rules are clear (and I think they always have been) then people will say "yup, fair cop" if they are DQ'd;

3. Democratise the organisation - maybe set up an incorporated society that operates alongside the company (Two Brothers Ltd) running the competition, that has a membership made up of two people nominated by each team manager of the previous year's competition. That organisation can then elect itself some officials and have a structure representing the regions. This would bring fresh thinking into the competition, give a little bit of ownership (but not too much!) to the participants, and allow for a semi-organised workforce to be tapped by the competition owners;

4. Communicate. For example, I really REALLY want to set up a Summer Film School this year. Can you imagine the fun of a Friday - Sunday camp out in the whop-whops, with workshops and the oldies helping the newbies and pigs sizzling on a spit? I wanted to do this last year as well and contacted the 48 Hour management with my idea, simply to ask for their blessing (not that I needed it - my wife and I have two successful companies and we were willing to fund the whole thing). But. Nobody. Got. Back. To. Me. OMG, there are those of us who frikken LOVE 48 Hours and want to help... let us!

That is all. Peace be with you.

Section59 Films
www.Section59.co.nz

2007 - Death Nurse (Grindhouse)
2008 - The Orphan and the Inn (Fairy Tale)
2009 - Larger Than Life (Realtime)
2010 - We took a holiday :)
2011 - Crime of the Centuries (Crime)
2012 - Pronoia (Crime) - Christchurch team: Intelligent Design
2012 - S.H.A.R.P. (Superhero) - Wellington team: Random Acts
2013 - Breath of the Gods (Techno Thriller) - Christchurch team: Intelligent Design
2013 - Scooter Girl (Obsessive Relationship) - Wellington team: Random Acts
2014 - Repute (Film Within A Film) - Christchurch team: Intelligent Design
2014 - The Talented Mr Chancey (Mistaken Identity) - Wellington team: Random Acts
2015 - In Bread, Love. (Romantic Comedy) - Christchurch team: Intelligent Design
2015 - Stealing Thoughts (Other Dimension) - Wellington team: Random Acts

dramamike

Count me in for the Summer Film School.
Happy to help/learn.
Consider myself experienced at the comp, yet sadly lacking in success... One day...

2019 Depart'ners Buddy
2016 Con Troll Alt Delete Nutbar Films Horror Fan Favourite. City Finalist for Make-Up

Meatloaf

in reply to Section59:

Great post, thanks Section59, I'm liking your suggestions and rationale. In particular ...

Consulting with participants. Totally agree. Perhaps a wrap-up/feedback discussion would be beneficial if there were going to be some (minor) tweaks to the comp. Each 2014 team could be invited to send along one or two representatives to present and discuss ideas.

That could evolve into a smaller elected 2015 User community group that supported the official regional organisers in whatever capacity they could. One example might be that they are seen as semi-official reviewers who are committed to attending all heats (I said it before, and so have others - Wellington teams really missed SteelPotato in that role this year).

Repeat the process each year. It would definitely give more buy-in as you suggest and possibly remove the grumbles that occur in the forum. If you wanted to see things evolve, then as a participant you'd have an avenue for promoting suggestions. They may not be taken on board, but they would be listened to and discussed at the very least.

2013 had over 800 teams take part. Looks like 2014 had around 600 (early April may be somewhat to blame). I'd hate for 2015 to drop to 400 as that would definitely signal a need to change. Cheers.

nimlin

mmmm pigs on a spit, and a summer film school in the wopwops Otaki is in the wopwops and has plenty of places that could be utilised without red tape,
and "Nimlin's Second Coming" sounds like a new thread name for discussing such topics and ideas............just thinking aloud again

YouTube has my stuff

dmanthei
Since: May 2011

I don't think there's anything wrong with the competition as it stands, currently.
Granted I've only done it four years and not ten or whatever
but, from what I've seen, it is a manifestation of an amazing outpouring of love and caring by the organizers.
Without that, or with a democratization of it, I think it would collapse.
The people running it have a solid vision,
at least as observed through the lens of the Christchurch leg (and Andrew Todd).

I can't think of a single thing I'd change, otherwise.

2014 - Robocrop - "Pads of Passion" RomCom (Best Original Score - Christchurch)
2013 - Robocrop - "The Price of Pilsner" Horror
2012 - Robocrop - "Promises" Crime - DQed (Nominated Best DQed Film)
2011 - Robocrop - "Protocol" One Room (Crime) - LATE

dramamike

I like the way the comp is run. I have no issue with the set up or the rules.

The only issues I have are the run it time given (I'd like more warning- but this might be legitimately impossible), and bring back the DVD's.

I know the screening room is good, but for those (like me) who enter and don't come anywhere it is a memento of the comp. A little bit like a certificate you can stick on your wall. I know this is flogging a dead horse, but hey ho.

At least I didn't have an obviously copyrighted piece of work in my film. Maybe that's the way to win awards- it works in the Taranaki.

Next year I'll enter in the Naki, use Bob Dylan's songs (I got them off youtube...) and have Mickey Mouse shagging Ronald McDonald...

2019 Depart'ners Buddy