Sam Spooner
Since: May 2012

Whats up with heat 10?

in reply to Nick Burridge:

Niiiiiiiccccccceeeeee.

TOMORROW TODAY
2017 - ADAD2: The Wizarding - Crime Ultra
Two Big Tools
2016 - Mind Camp - Dystopian Film 3rd Audience Favorite, Winner of The Incredibly Strange Award(Auckland), nominated for Best Original Song(Auckland), nominated for The Incredibly Strange Award(National)
2015 - A Dame A Dozen - Mystery Film(but really all of the genres) 2nd Audience Favorite
2014 - 20q - Mystery Film 3rd Audience Favorite
2013 - NZSS - Converging Storylines Film 3rd Audience Favorite
2012 - The Brick - Superhero Film Audience Favorite First Equal

Sam Spooner

Whats up with heat 10?

in reply to CraigWB:

Oh for sure! As an Ultra 48 team a big chunk of our team comment was taken up by the link to the previous film. That along with how Metal Wizard tends to waffle on meant it had to be edited heavily just to fit.

TOMORROW TODAY
Two Big Tools
2016 - Mind Camp - Dystopian Film 3rd Audience Favorite, Winner of The Incredibly Strange Award(Auckland), nominated for Best Original Song(Auckland), nominated for The Incredibly Strange Award(National)
2015 - A Dame A Dozen - Mystery Film(but really all of the genres) 2nd Audience Favorite

Sam Spooner

Whats up with heat 10?

Anna directed SPACE PSUSY, which is why that film has no reviews. I'm gutted because I planned on going to that heat, if I had I would have given honest reviews to all the films. But yeah this happens, in my heat there have been heaps of reviews but most come from my team so my film has f all reviews where as some films have 7 because friends of the film makers reviewed just the one film.

It's all voluntary though so I don't expect this sort of thing to change any time soon. Fingers crossed when the films all get released more reviews will pop up.

TOMORROW TODAY
Two Big Tools

Sam Spooner

Changes to the Wrap Up Form

in reply to dramamike:

Yeah fair enough. A warning not to buy a USB would have been nice. I guess what I'm trying to say is, the support team was a nice idea that didn't pan out for everyone so I don't think it deserves praise just yet. Maybe with a little work to even the playing field but as a team who tried their best to get assistance from them it felt like wasted energy.

TOMORROW TODAY
Two Big Tools

Sam Spooner

in reply to Team Homeschool:

I'm guessing you weren't at the opening, the support team was a replacement for the bag of goodies that was provided every other year, so yeah those who didn't get anything were missing out on something in favor of other people getting something.

TOMORROW TODAY
Two Big Tools

Sam Spooner

Heat Observations/Trends/Drinking game?

in reply to themorgan:

It was definitely one they had to include as an element at some point, so I'm glad too. Glad it's out of the way! I'm actually happy with how we used it, but in some films it stuck out so bad it ruins the moment.

TOMORROW TODAY
Two Big Tools

Sam Spooner

in reply to Ant Timpson:

That's good/scary to hear!

TOMORROW TODAY
Two Big Tools

Sam Spooner

Heat Observations/Trends/Drinking game?

Poor use of the Wilhelm Scream had to be the biggest running issue with our heat, I think it maybe the worst implemented requirement ever.

TOMORROW TODAY
Two Big Tools

Sam Spooner

in reply to Jason:

If there are teams in a reasonable distance from the city, who respond immediately and never get anything, its simply not fair. I would have loved it too if it worked for me, but it didn't, that gives teams like yours an unfair advantage. I'm sure there are teams that would have had even less of a chance to get anything out of it than mine. A bag with some chocolate and a first aid kit would have been infinitely more advantageous to loads of teams than random texts that resulted in nothing for us.

I like the idea of the support crew, but unless it actually supports every team that asks for support its unfair. I know life's not fair, but in this instance it could be fair and it feels outside of the spirit of the competition to me, so I am going to bitch about it until everyone agrees with me.

TOMORROW TODAY
Two Big Tools

Sam Spooner

Auckland Heat 14

That's a shame, they would have gotten 1st for sure if they had been included from the start.

TOMORROW TODAY
Two Big Tools

Sam Spooner

in reply to zer05um:

Considering that I never got anything out of them (I tried pretty damn hard too!), yeah, they were pretty annoying.

TOMORROW TODAY
Two Big Tools

Sam Spooner

Auckland Heat 14

I don't want to be a Dick, but, we weren't able to vote for Permanently Confused in the audience faves because they weren't on the online form, we even talked to them about it after. Somehow though, they still came 3rd.

This calls into question the people who came in 1st and 2nd, can we get an explanation as to what happened please?

In other news, great heat guys, it was a blast!

TOMORROW TODAY
Two Big Tools

Sam Spooner

Oh man even the notion of getting rid of the live elements is enough to make my skin crawl. What a shit idea. I get that HP is a tech company and wants to flex their tech muscles, but this comp would be useless to me and a lot of other competitors without the live aspect. Running into old mates, new collaborators and the instant feedback of the crowd are all super important, if I were in this to get a film made in a weekend to stick online I'd just do that (and many of us do already!).

TOMORROW TODAY
Two Big Tools

Sam Spooner

Ultra teams: What did you think?

in reply to Cardinal:

We managed to not have to recast any roles, but yeah it restricted which films we could actually do a sequel to.

TOMORROW TODAY
Two Big Tools

Sam Spooner

What’s the process for discovering that your film has been officially disqualified?

You will at least know if you were DQ'd at the end of your heat when the audience voting screen comes up, it will say there. If you forgot something, chances are a lot of the eagle eyed viewers simply won't vote for you. Don't stress about it though, seeing your film in your heat is usually the best anyone can hope for and unless you did something so bad they have to pull your film chances are everyone will get to see your film.

TOMORROW TODAY
Two Big Tools