VF48Hours 2020 Forum

Forum > Posts by SeanOC

Posts by SeanOC

SeanOC
Since: May 2012

AUCKLAND CITY WINNERS 2014

Having worked with Tom and the Grand Cheval guys a couple of years ago, I have nothing but positive words for them. I certainly think they deserve recognition in pushing the boundaries of film making.

I haven't seen the latest 48 Hour offering as yet, but have no doubt it is a work of genius with Tom at the helm.

Hoping to work with you guys again someday soon and congratulations on keeping the excitement in this competition alive!

Actor
Various Teams | Auckland | Since 2009

2014 | Revenge | If You Can Get Blood
2013 | Action | Henchmen
2012 | Found Footage | Broken Clover
2011 | Fad | You Reckon?
2010 | Road Movie | Driveby Stigmata (Best DQ Nationally)
2009 | Family | Wizard Boy 2

SeanOC

Fractured Radius 2014 -- Morgan's Time

My team haven't posted ours yet, but I was happy to have a scene with 2 'strippers'. It's acting!

In fact, I expected our lead actress to get a Best Actress nom. but she didn't.

Actor

2013 | Action | Henchmen
2011 | Fad | You Reckon?

SeanOC

Fractured Radius 2014 -- Morgan's Time

Great short. Enjoyed immensely.

Actor

2013 | Action | Henchmen
2011 | Fad | You Reckon?

SeanOC

Dumb Things People Do Around Film Crews...

This doesn't really belong in this discussion, but it is so funny it deserves a mention. Sorry also that it is a theatre story, so screen luvvies, please forgive me.

I was playing the part of the Narrator in Stardome's version of War of the Worlds in 2012 and we sold out our run prior to opening night, which was great.

About halfway through our 6 week stint, there was a young couple in the front row who seemed very tactile (gotta love live theatre!) and on the opening of Act 2, I stood at my lecturn delivering my lines only to notice that the female in the partnership was seemingly 'tripping' on the mix of elaborate laser and life performance unfolding before her. It's quite an intimate venue, if you have never been there before.

Her eyes like saucers and the furious gum chewing gave her away and her boyfriend seemed to be getting in on the enjoyment too. So much so that as I started to deliver a particularly emotionally fraught piece about the red weed, the girl's hand strayed unmistakably under the jacket draped across her boyfriend's midriff and the stroking of the member commenced not 3 metres away from my place on 'stage'.

The boyfriend's eyes now matched the saucer-like state of the stroker and I was left to desperately try and stay in the moment and deliver a faultless dialogue, as was expected on a nightly basis. My eyes were averted most of the time, but were drawn to the 'action' with an undeniable sense of disbelief.

I felt sorry for the man and his young son in the seats' immediately next to the stroker and strokee! I am sure the young boy caught brief glimpses of what was happening, although his father was doing his best to shield his spawn from the developing scene.

I got through somehow and after the show greeted the audience members' (no pun intended) at the door and thanked this particular couple for 'coming' (pun intended) although refrained from shaking her hand for obvious reasons!

I also learnt afterwards that our Stage Manager and several other crew were in prime position around the top of the illuminated 'dome' watching this unfold. They weren't visible to the audience as the upper dome acts like a one way screen.

I haven't done much live theatre, but that night is one that will live long in the memory. Not quite as long as the boyfriend's I'm sure!

Actor

2013 | Action | Henchmen
2011 | Fad | You Reckon?

SeanOC

Auckland City Finalists and Nominees

We got nominated for best script! Cool. Congrats to all, especially my old muckers from Grand Cheval.

Actor

2013 | Action | Henchmen
2011 | Fad | You Reckon?

SeanOC

What do actors think about this comp?

in reply to Toby W M Sharpe:

About time we had a decent comedy in NZ. If the first show is anything to go by Toby, then you have a hit on your hands. Good, solid performances, nicely shot with great dialogue. Just have to wait for my agent to call now for second season lol...

All the best to you guys!

Actor

2013 | Action | Henchmen
2011 | Fad | You Reckon?

SeanOC

I know mate. I did Power Rangers back in September 2008 and from the first moment I was hooked. Went from extra on Shortland Street to guest speaking role in just over 2 years, so I will look back on the start of the whole thing with fondness.

Actor

2013 | Action | Henchmen
2011 | Fad | You Reckon?

SeanOC

Personally, I have only been acting for 3.5 years (although 1 of those was as an extra, but we all start somewhere, right!). I went to South Seas in 2009 and spent plenty of time rehearsing before shoots and getting in to the routine of the 5 W's, basically knowing your place in a scene etc etc.

Since then I have been in over 25 shorts, a couple of features, a few plays (I'm concentrating on screen for now) and an interesting little role on good old Shortland Street.

2009 was my first experience of 48 Hour and I think it's fair to say, I have not only been bitten by the acting bug, but also the 48 Hour bug!

Our 2010 entry got best DQ'd nationally and after it received some decent airtime on C4, I made the decision to go to the Grand Final that year, mainly to network. I managed to get a few good contacts there and ended up working with one of those Director's/Writer's this year.

My take on 48 Hour is that you are kind of at the mercy of the writer(s). I try and stick around as long as I can on the Friday night to lend a hand with ideas, but normally leave around midnight. So, the hope is that you turn up early on the Saturday and see something great.

My dream role would be something along the lines of Will Wallace' part in Glow this year, which I found very strong both in performance (I inevitably look at that aspect of the short, being a performer myself; as an editor would critique the cut, cameraman the shots' etc etc).

I am confident in my ability to portray a good emotional range now and although it's true all of my participation so far has been comedic, it was pleasing to see recognition for more 'serious' material this year.

As an actor, my simple goal is to 'change' myself on screen; to have a hurdle I need to somehow get over and achieve my aim. Furthermore, the audience needs to come along with me on this journey; if they don't then my character is not fully rounded (hopefully my performance isn't the reason) and the blame must lie at the story and/or this character development. It's simple stuff and there are always a handful of teams who not only 'nail' the genre, but stick to the simple structure of beginning, middle and end. It works!

From my point of view, I love the competition and hope to keep competing for years to come. Give me a role I can really sink my teeth in to please!

Actor

2013 | Action | Henchmen
2011 | Fad | You Reckon?

SeanOC

2012 AUCKLAND V48 FINALISTS

We got a nomination! Feels so good. Unlike the way in which the prop was used! Can't wait to see the clip on Saturday!

Actor

2013 | Action | Henchmen
2011 | Fad | You Reckon?

SeanOC

Can't wait to see the full list of Auckland nominees. Hope we make it in for something this year, albeit only best use of prop!

Congrats to all the Finalists.

Actor

2013 | Action | Henchmen
2011 | Fad | You Reckon?

SeanOC

Where's the finalists for the best use of prop? lol

Actor

2013 | Action | Henchmen
2011 | Fad | You Reckon?

SeanOC

Use of Characeter,

As I said in the prop related forum post, I hope our use of the leaf gets some recognition. I cut myself in the process (actor here!).

Actor

2013 | Action | Henchmen
2011 | Fad | You Reckon?

SeanOC

2012 compulsory elements and genres - thoughts?

Well I think our use of the leaf was quite 'unique'. Will hopefully get a fair share of laughs at the heats on Wednesday...

Actor

2013 | Action | Henchmen
2011 | Fad | You Reckon?