VF48Hours Forum

Forum > Posts by thingsweregood

Posts by thingsweregood

thingsweregood
Since: Mar 2012

NOTICE: HAMILTON FINAL 8.30pm tonight (not 7.30pm as some tickets state)

Hey Hamiltonians,

Just to clarify, the Hamilton Final will be at 8.30pm, not 7.30pm as some tickets may state. But make sure you show up early to get a good seat!

For those who have yet to purchase a ticket, get them here: http://www.iticket.co.nz/events/2014/may/hamilton-final

There will also be limited door sales on the night. $20 - no change, no eftpos.

It will be an awesome night, and we can’t wait to see you all there and show you the best of Hamilton’s films for 2014!

Hamilton Manager
Rialto Channel 48Hours

thingsweregood

Whichever dickhead who was involved with the Clonix Orb and is reviewing as "48hourlover"

in reply to Paulette:

no not actually a fraudster although I recall some gay guy who tried to rip off my talent calling me a child neglecting salvo stealing con woman but hey you found that link

Why has him being gay got ANYTHING to do with it?

Hamilton Manager
Rialto Channel 48Hours

thingsweregood

Hamilton Finalists Announcement Date

in reply to Astroblu:

Hey guys,

Finalists will be announced before May 1st, but the judging has not taken place yet so I can't give you an exact date at this stage.

As soon as the judges have reached their decision on the final 12 films, I'll post the results online as well as email everyone.

But likethemorgan said, support the comp and buy some tickets! You can always on-sell them to family and friends if you do end up with a surplus.

Hamilton Manager
Rialto Channel 48Hours

thingsweregood

No manager at Hamilton Heats

in reply to Daniel Frost:

Hey guys -

So sorry for my absence at the Hamilton heats :( Unfortunately, I was in a bit of a bind that required me to stay in Auckland this weekend: I am Auckland based (but ex Hamilton woop), and the only certified duty manager on the very, very tiny 48 Hours crew, so it is my name on the Crystal Palace's liquor licence (which we obtained only for the Auckland heats), which requires me to be on site whilst we sell alcohol.

But rest assured, I have received, checked, chased-up, watched, double checked, written notes on, and watched again ALL of your films. I also had everything set up in Hamilton with the cinema the day before so that the more-than-capable Jake to host the heats this weekend.

And I'll be back to oversee the judging process, and be there for the Final etc!

So hopefully you can forgive my absence and I'll be seeing you all shortly at the Final :)

P.S. Awesome to see some many teams this year, and have thoroughly enjoyed watching them all. And congrats to those who get audience fav!

Hamilton Manager
Rialto Channel 48Hours

thingsweregood

Hamilton Audience Awards 2014

Thanks heaps to Jake for taking care of the Hamilton heats this year! :)

Hamilton Manager
Rialto Channel 48Hours

thingsweregood

HAMILTON CITY FINALISTS

Tickets are selling really fast! Make sure you get in quick if you want to nab a seat!

Hamilton Manager
Rialto Channel 48Hours

thingsweregood

THE CITY FINALISTS 2013

in reply to Astroblu:

Hamilton Final has been announced! Sunday 6th June, 6.30pm at Hoyts Te Awa.

Here's the facebook event: https://www.facebook.com/events/146841815504085/

And you can buy tickets here: http://www.dashtickets.co.nz/event/q57wrmchj

Hamilton Manager
Rialto Channel 48Hours

thingsweregood

HAMILTON CITY FINALISTS

in reply to Scotty:

Hi Hazel.. Im sure it was a REALLY TOUGH job. Did you mention a Best disqualified short comp??

Yep, there will be a certificate for Best Disqualified!

Hamilton Manager
Rialto Channel 48Hours

thingsweregood

HAMILTON CITY FINALISTS

in reply to Sixfoot10:

ok, i guess it makes sense so you don't get people trying to argue their case, Judges decision is final and all.

The judges are all chosen because they are film industry veterans and know what makes a good short. Also, many of them have done it multiple years and have seen thousands of 48 Hour films. However, they are human so they are looking for what resonates with them, and that doesn't necessarily correspond with what you or others may have picked. Hence every year there's always controversial choices!

And yes, it would be a logistical nightmare if the judges had to respond to everyone personally and tell them why or why they didn't get picked. Therefore, judges decision is final, no correspondance will be entered into!

Hamilton Manager
Rialto Channel 48Hours

thingsweregood

What Would You Change in the 48 Hours Comp?

in reply to weebey:

I disagree

10 minutes, I THINK is a fabulous and reasonable time for a short film story, just think of all the wonderful stories that we are missing out on because we must adhere to these very strict rules, it saddens me that this happens.

Yes, in international film festivals, short films are most often 12-15 minutes long and that's great. But those are films that have been written, re-written, agonised over for possibly YEARS before they're finished. And as someone who has seen literally HUNDREDS of 48Hours films, I agree with Joey that maybe 2 or 3 needed to be longer than 7 minutes. Dozens more should be have been 5 mins instead of 7!

There is a point to having strict restrictions on the 48Hours comp, and that's the reason you enter. To challenge yourself. To challenge yourself to make something in less than 2 days. To challenge yourself to write something that fits certain criteria.

Take this analogy for example: Football players often train with tennis balls. This means that when they play with actual soccer balls, their accuracy is vastly improved, as the soccer ball in 10 times bigger. It suddenly becomes easier!

This is also why novelists often challenge themselves to write one page stories. If you're talented enough to write something that is engaging in one page, you will be able to make something engaging that's 300 pages long. You are able to keep sight of what is important in a story, the essence of it.

Just my two cents...

Hamilton Manager
Rialto Channel 48Hours

thingsweregood

What Would You Change in the 48 Hours Comp?

in reply to Taunise:

in reply to weebey:
Increase the running time from 7 to 10 minutes.

Aw Hell NO.

Many films are already way too long and could be cut back from 7 minutes, I've yet to see a film where I thought "3 minutes would make the difference to this film".

Not to mention how flat your ass gets sitting through 21 heats of 7 minute films. Add 3 minutes to each film and you're looking at over 10 hours of extra film watching in Auckland.

(where there were coincidentally over 300 teams, lots of heats had 13 films)

I agree. If you can't tell a solid, cohesive story in 7 minutes or less, you need to get a better writer. Some of the best 48 Hours shorts I've seen have been under 5 mins. And it really does come down to the script... if you've filmed too many scenes in the first place, editing them down to fit the time limit means you lose meaning and your film stops making sense. That's when you are really wishing you had an extra 3 minutes... (not being cruel, I've totally been there myself)

Hamilton Manager
Rialto Channel 48Hours

thingsweregood

HAMILTON CITY FINALISTS

in reply to TheBadBrooke:

Hey Hazel/thingsweregood
Just found on the ticket site when the finals are re-scheduled to. Would it be possible have the this Forum updated with that info in the announcement/heading text? Might mean there are less confused people walking around Hoyts on Thursday night... :o)

Yep, on it!

Hamilton Manager
Rialto Channel 48Hours

thingsweregood

HAMILTON CITY FINALISTS

in reply to snapdragon:

Correct, judges do not make public comment about individual films.

Hamilton Manager
Rialto Channel 48Hours

thingsweregood

HAMILTON CITY FINALISTS

in reply to snapdragon:

Yes, you're allowed to upload your film if you are NOT one of the 12 finalists (even if you got nominated for another prize).

We'd still love you to come to finals though, as these prizes will be awarded on the night and it'd be cool if people are there to receive them!

Tickets available here: http://www.dashtickets.co.nz/event/q57wrmchj

Hamilton Manager
Rialto Channel 48Hours

thingsweregood

HAMILTON CITY FINALISTS

Hey all,

Congratulations to all the finalists and nominees!

And to those who didn't quite make it, don't despair. The judges watched every single film (and rewatched some just to be sure) and spent hours deliberating as it was a very tough year. Every single film had elements of merit, and the judges had an absolute blast watching them. You should have heard the laughter and gasps of surprise coming from the screening room!

I'm really excited to see all of you at the Final (whether you are still in competition or not) as it will be an awesome evening out. There will be an afterparty also, so you can join me to either celebrate or drown your sorrows.

And TheBadBrooke, check your inbox, I've emailed you back :)

Hamilton Manager
Rialto Channel 48Hours