VF48Hours Forum

Forum > Posts by Dan Bain

Posts by Dan Bain

Dan Bain
Since: Jun 2011

Christchurch Finals WOOOHOOO!

Hey folks what a surprise this thread is...
I absolutely loved TBALC's film last night. Every single thing in it contributes to the story, every shot and every line is funny in and of itself as well as serving the plot and themes. That shit is tight and it's very hard to nail.

Sometimes you get lucky, enough planets align and that sort of thing happens. It happened for us with ILE. Since then I've very consciously tried to write films that are as far away from it as possible to try avoid the inevitable comparisons.
It hasn't really worked.
I've stopped reading reviews of our films because I find it too disheartening. I think (or at least hope) we're still making interesting, specific and funny films but we constantly get slammed for not being able to make lightning strike twice. So there you go guys, maybe that's something for you to look forward to, although with two years in a row maybe you've broken that. So, well played. Well played indeed.

Like Alex, I also loved dystography's film. Gold.
Well done everyone. Always a good night out.

2015 - Hard Times (CHCH FINALIST + best director, cinematography, makeup, prop)
2014 - Le Restaurant D'erreurs (NATIONAL FINALIST + best actor, director, CHCH FINALIST + best cinematography, director, actor, audience favourite)
2013 - Is Love Enough? (NATIONAL FINALIST + best editing, script. CHCH WINNER + best editing, script, actor, director, audience favourite)
2012 - Day 6 (CHCH FINALIST + best cinematography, female director, makeup)
2011 - Infinite Body Confidence (CHCH RUNNER UP)

Twitter | Facebook | Podcast

Dan Bain

If you could have picked your own genre.

I would have really liked black comedy.
I think it would play to our strengths and the line between black and just horrible is one I think we can work pretty well.

As it was Science gone Mad took us a very long time.

2014 - Le Restaurant D'erreurs (NATIONAL FINALIST + best actor, director, CHCH FINALIST + best cinematography, director, actor, audience favourite)
2013 - Is Love Enough? (NATIONAL FINALIST + best editing, script. CHCH WINNER + best editing, script, actor, director, audience favourite)

Dan Bain

Getting rom-com in 48 hours

Tone. Get it right it's a consistent comedy or drama. Get it wrong and you have an unintentionally hilarious drama or a comedy that excites mostly cicadas and tumbleweeds.

Laughs in the wrong or right place can often be traced back to this. Someone needs to know what the final cut of the movie FEELS like. Otherwise disparate moments will pull the audience out of it.

Which is, especially in teams where everyone is largly self suffucient - the actors know how to act, the tech people know how to tech - the only reason for having a director, other than having someone who can say the words "action" and "cut".

We often double down on genre and Rom-Com is a big go to, mostly driven by the adorable screen presence of Hamish. Not sure what we would do if we actually got it.

Dan Bain

Christchurch City Finalists + Award Nominees 2014

Congratulations to all winners!
Very tight!
Everyone was so adorably humble and excited by winning this year. So sweet and a lovely flavour to a night I always look forward to.

Dan Bain

Writing team

in reply to Andrew Todd:

One of the veterans' panel chimed in with "it's a dick move."

I think this may have been me.

You have story in your veins. You can't not bring that with you. The sum of your personal experiences, your knowledge of how story works this all comes with you. You can't nor should you attempt to discard this. The competition - imo - should be attempted at the top of your intelligence and ability.

If you work in film, or generally in writing or creating, you probably have a scratch pile of ideas, of nuggets and sparks. You would probably be better served by not bringing this.

Not because of any wrongness or potential judging by strangers on the internet but because 48 hour films seem to be better when embracing the elements and genre you get on the night. You've got your constraints - why not just work within them? New (old?) ideas are going to pull and skew things away from that.

As a watcher of 48 hour films I want to see what other people did within the same framework as me. How they interpreted their genre and elements. How integral they made them. How goddamn clever they were.

I work as an improviser. A lot. My approach to story is always about excessive homage to the provided elements and nothing else. Your mileage, of course, will vary according to your own experience and skill set.

I like stories.

Dan Bain

What I learned this year

For the first time we made a film with extras.
The logistics of dealing with this and their understandably limited availability didn't fit with how we usually make our film.
Needed to plan that a little better.

Learning!

Dan Bain

CHRISTCHURCH WINNERS

Thank you everyone, especially those we didn't thank - which is pretty much everyone we should've.

Loved Gentleman's Agreement - Funny, funny film.

Loved Polaroid - got me something in my eye!

Azanti - just stunning. The chalk wall... wow.

An excellent night. We hope to sail forth and represent Chch as well as we possibly may. Fingers crossed.

Dan Bain

CHCH AUDIENCE FAVOURITES 2013

Wish I'd been able to make it to Heat 10, ridiculously stacked with power teams... Hopefully catch a lot of those films in the final!

Dan Bain

Story is King - how to win V48Hours

Disclaimer: I've been to one heat this year.

As always what is winning is LOLs and big teams. As is right and the purpose of audience favourites.

I don't think story is winning. Good story should be invisible, knitted within the very bones of the film along with character and film technique.

I do think lack of story is causing losing.

I'm not sure how to win at story in 48 hours, but as one of my team's story guys and from watching a good number of films from prior years here's are the pitfalls I try to avoid and how I think you could lose pretty convincingly.

- ignore the storytelling structure inherent within your genre.
- try to hide your ending to the expense of the rest of the film.
- make it unclear who is the central protagonist and give us no reason to care for them.
- tell a feature length story in 7 minutes.
- over complicate everything.
- think that simple structure is unoriginal.
- have nothing happen.
- write beyond the technical or acting capabilities of your team.

You're well on the way!

Dan Bain

WILDCARDS AND GRAND FINALISTS

in reply to iamchris90:

Grindin' is easily my favourite outwits film, nic's performance is note perfect and suprisingly tender. There is a great variety to the comedy. And Peter Jackson likes it.

A very worthy contender i feel sir.

Also really looking forward to seeing naughty mana, the te reo reboot of suspectTV's film

Dan Bain

Genre.net.nz upcoming website for kiwi content creators

This is a really interesting and timely concept.

Dan Bain

CHRISTCHURCH AWARDS 2011

Lovely night out, with weird two worlds colliding after-drinks at the fox and ferret while the state of origin showing...

Congrats to andy and suspectTV