VF48Hours Forum

Forum > Posts by bona92

Posts by bona92

bona92
Since: May 2011

2019 Thoughts

I like the required elements, though I actually like having a line of dialogue as a requirement. I like the variety of genres too. I didn't mind shooting in winter time, but the short lead time to the competition was annoying. I understand that there were a lot of things that came into play to why the date announcement was so late, but wish that it was for a later shoot date instead of so close to the announcement. It would be nice if the competition runs at the same time every year (though perhaps narrow it down to which week in the month it would be).

It has been quite a different vibe for me this year (in a good way), our team wanted a chilled and fun weekend, and we did exactly that. I wasn't frenzied from the lack of sleep on Sunday, and I was fully functioning on Monday, which was amazing.

2019: The Big Number (Musical/Dance) - The Directors
2018: Connection Interrupted (Back from the Dead) - Ahrjeebee
2017: Salvage (Science Fiction) - Ahrjeebee
2016: DICKS (Punk Movie) - PuppyGuts
2015: Beyond the Fridge (Other Dimension) - PuppyGuts
2014: rom.com (Romantic Comedy) - #Brown
2012: Dead Market (Inspirational) - Mechanically Separated Chicken
2011: P Butter (Mystery) - Pants Optional -late entry
2009: Lost and Found (Parallel Movie) - 2RhAB/Two Redheads and a Blonde - Wellington Finalist
2008: Animal Control (Animal Movie) - 2RhAB/Two Redheads and a Blonde - Wellington Finalist
2007: Darkest Before Dawn (RomCom/Coming of Age) - 2RhAB/Two Redheads and a Blonde

bona92

Dumb Things People Do Around Film Crews...

During our shoot this year we were in a park, doing a 2nd camera angle shot for a scene, and a guy walked OH SO VERY SLOWLY across my frame in the background (he has seen us there - and I assumed he was drunk), and then took a seat on one of the part benches that just happened to be in shot and gave me (I was behind the camera) a grin before cracking open a drink!!! Grrrr!!! I made some necessary adjustments and managed to get him out of shot, but then he started talking loudly (he was far enough for the shot to still be able to work, but the mic still picked his voice), first on the phone, then he started speaking loudly, then we noticed a woman walking towards him. And when they got together they started rolling around on the grass and MAKING OUT!!!! Bleh!!! Luckily we managed to sneak in some shots now and then and by that point we've finished shooting, coz by the time they were rolling around on the grass they'd be in my shot and it wasn't something I could re-frame (not to that extent anyway) for the shot we wanted.

Ok, now that I remember that part of the weekend, suddenly my lunch doesn't look so good anymore :(

2009: Lost and Found (Parallel Movie) - 2RhAB/Two Redheads and a Blonde - Wellington Finalist
2008: Animal Control (Animal Movie) - 2RhAB/Two Redheads and a Blonde - Wellington Finalist
2007: Darkest Before Dawn (RomCom/Coming of Age) - 2RhAB/Two Redheads and a Blonde

bona92

What I learned this year

in reply to R17:

4. Don't let your cinematographer talk you into letting him not use a tripod for a single shot... Tripod = good.

Depends on the situation and how good he/she is with the camera. I've worked with cameramen who handheld their cameras for shots and their footage looked amazing.

11. Facebook is a great way to organise your team... except for that one person who refuses to sign up for facebook... grrr....

Not everyone like social media. I know a lot of people who don't have Facebook and I can understand why. I don't like using FB myself but I use it because a lot my friends and family are overseas, they're all on it, and choosing it as a method to keep in touch.

Some of the things we learned this time around:
- Shooting a pool game scene is a continuity nightmare (we already knew this, but somehow ended up shooting it anyway)
- I'd need to bring an apple box if I'm to do camera operating again in the future
- When shooting a daytime scene at night, make sure that it's not just the window that is lit, either close the blinds on the skylight or light the roof too. LOL.

bona92

Post-Partum

Went great on post-production side of things (I can't comment on the shoot as I wasn't present during these times). I even learned some new tricks, so that's always a bonus.

And I went through the weekend WITHOUT caffeine (that's two years of 48hours without caffeine now).

bona92

Your software. so, how'd it perform?

in reply to shooter:

I didn't mean that I changed my mind about how amazing PP was because of the problem I faced, I stand by my opinion that PP is an awesome product. I meant was about the overall experience (I know it's slightly off topic if I was to just talk about the software and its flows), we weren't sure where the problem lies regarding the fail to export to tape, we looked for solutions afterwards and it seems like there are others who had problems exporting to tape using the program.

Software itself, I think PP (again) was amazing. As for the crashes, I use PP at work, on a machine geared and dedicated for video editing only (I have separate machines for other things), and I've still managed to crash it sometimes. Crashes I had in the 48hr weekend was minor, had 1 proper crash where I lost a bit of work but that was it, it wasn't really an issue.

As for the conversion, it was using a laptop (long story short, it was an emergency and was gonna be done in the car), it wasn't an editing laptop, but I've successfully done conversions on it before, so I think it was bad luck that it chose to be grumpy at that time.

bona92

Your software. so, how'd it perform?

This was the first time I used someone else's setup, and I could say that I was impressed with the overall performance (will get to the problems soon). Premiere Pro worked brilliantly, it crashed about 3 times (that's awesome compared to what I normally have to deal with - but also keeping in mind that I'd normally deal with different OS, setup, file amount and sizes, etc), once in that 3 crashes, I lost a bit of work, but I saved often, so it wasn't that bad.

However, I quickly changed my mind when at the most important moment, it decided to stop talking to the camera and refused to export to tape!!!! Tried rebooting program, computer and the camera, none worked, changed the camera, didn't work either... so I exported as a file, when I'm about to do a conversion to the required format, my program decided that it didn't feel like working, and Windows took friggin' ages to dump the file to a USB stick(it turned out to be a Windows 7 thing)... hence our film was somewhere between 3 - 5 minutes late (and the movie was still in .avi format). *sigh* (they txted at 19.01 saying that they were still 2 minutes away from the venue).

For more than an hour after our hand in team left the HQ, we tried fixing the problem and still didn't find a solution. I've done multiple export to tape in the past and it was frustrating when it failed to export, and it was heart breaking to miss the hand in.

I think Premiere Pro is really good (when it works), but I'm no stranger to Premiere Pro (of any version I've used - 1.5, 2.0, CS 3, CS4 and CS5) crashing and becoming unreliable at times. From my past experience in 48Hours, I've encountered numerous problems with the program, but managed to solve it or have ways around it, so I wasn't impressed when this time I wasn't able to. Other than that, I'm not sure why my computer decided not to work when I was about to do conversion, that was a mystery. And the slow transfer time from Windows 7 machine to USB stick really needs to be fixed soon.