VF48Hours Forum

Forum > Posts by Becca Barnes

Posts by Becca Barnes

Becca Barnes
Since: May 2011

Uploading Films when you have Nominations?

in reply to steelpotato:

Oh wow that’s a cracker of a review, thank you Steelpotato!!

Becca Barnes

Uploading Films when you have Nominations?

Hi folks,

I asked this on FB last night but I think it got lost in the shuffle of all the excitement :) My film has some Auckland nominations, but isn't in the finals - can I upload it to Youtube yet? I'm itching to showing friends and family.

Cheers,
Becca

PS Well done everyone all over the country who did well last night!!

Becca Barnes

Posters!

Come to Auckland Heat 8 to meet this lil fella...

Becca Barnes

Ultra 48 Element Questions

No on prequel according to this :( https://www.48hours.co.nz/2017/register/?ss=ultra48

Becca Barnes

Ultra 48 Element Questions

Hello!

Quick questions - if we were to include footage from our previous film (the one we're doing a sequel of), and that footage included that year's elements, would that be considering including those elements in the current film?

Additionally, if the film is the THIRD in a trilogy does this still count as a sequel of the first one? We reckon it does, but want to check.

Cheers,
Becca

Becca Barnes

Gems of the screening room

in reply to toowit toowoo:

Graarg arrr ggrat Twoooogt!

Caveman translation: thanks Toowit Toowoo, from Mum-Mum and Dad-Dad.

Becca Barnes

The Great 2015 Film Poster Thread

It is what it is. :)

(Genre - Science Gone Mad)

Becca Barnes

48+ Query

Sorry Ant, I think I was a little unclear with my question/it was 5.45am when I wrote it, haha. I was trying to figure out if I could enter an idea of my own, but also separately enter an idea conceived with my writing partner. Would that be all g?

Thanks for your time.

Becca Barnes

48+ Query

Hi guys,

Just a quick question about 48+. It says it's for the individual person, rather than team. But would you be interested in hearing from writing partnerships?

And if so, could you put in an expression of interest for yourself, and also a separate one (with different movie ideas) for your partnership?

Writers. They're so greedy. :)

Cheers,
Becca

Becca Barnes

Heat 8 Auckland. The Sirens & the Harpy's Call.

Thanks Uther! Yeah, Squidwig did it - but we actually were 2 teams, we merged with Team Cupcake Go! and became Team Cupcake Squidwig and Team Cupcake Go! 6.9 for one year.

Was definitely the most challenging year we've had by a ton, mostly because we used just the one house as a base for both teams. What's more stressful than one room in a house devoted to editing? Two rooms in a house devoted to editing! Hahaha. Was a blast though :)

Oh yes and we did screen at the same heat, one after the other, which induced some audience chuckling when they figured it out :)

Becca Barnes

Post-Partum

in reply to IctusMortem:

Yup. They are a very lovely bunch <3

Becca Barnes

Post-Partum

Tried something a little different this year - joined up with a friend's team, changed our team name to come straight after theirs in the heats, and went into it with the intention of creating two films of different genres with linked stories as one big team.

My cowriter/director and I were to be writing both films, the other team was doing the production managing for both teams, we were to direct one film, and the other team's usual director was to direct the other. We shared basically everything else, with everyone but core crew members working for both teams.

Our two genres were Inspirational film and Rom Com. So we wrote two films with linked stories. But due to some major creative disagreements (ohgodsomajor) from the very beginning of the brainstorming session, couldn't get the other team's director on board. So at 9am on Saturday morning when we got the news we'd lost the director for the other team, my cowriter/director and I split up and he went off and directed the other team's film, while I did ours.

Shoots went well apart from losing a bunch of time from a refusing-to-work letus which meant reshoots on Sunday morning. Three actors who couldn't rollerblade at all had to learn verrrrrry quickly and did a kick ass job.

We got our films in and we're super proud of everyone (especially the actors who appeared in both films). Being down to the wire in editing with TWO FILMS in one house was super batshit crazy. Luckily we had planned ahead and specifically written shorter/smaller films and made the process a little easier on ourselves.

Lesson learned: There is such thing as too many cooks. Totally worth the initial hiccups though, we had a blast. Can't wait for the audience in the heats to catch on to the link :D

Becca Barnes

Post Your Films in The Screening Room. And also in here.

Here's Squidwig Productions from Wellington's gory quest effort:

Becca Barnes

What went GREAT for you?

Something was definitely on Squidwig Production's side this year.

We had mad scientists who needed a lair, one of our actors knew people living only a block away with what was essentially a DUNGEON for a basement.

We needed creepy music, my prod assist's flatmate who we've never met is a composer and said he'd do some on Friday night, we had six original songs by Sunday and I've still yet to meet him!!

We had some really difficult practical (and gory) effects, got a text mid Friday night from a friend who works in art dept asking if we needed a hand ("YES COME OVER RIGHT NOW!!!").

We had to re-export at 6.40 because we found a random piece of audio on the end of the timeline, were 99% sure we weren't going to make it.... got it in with one minute to spare.

Best. Weekend. Ever!