VF48Hours Lockdown Forum

Forum > Posts by Michael Bolch

Posts by Michael Bolch

Michael Bolch
Since: May 2011

The Great 2015 Film Poster Thread

in reply to Scotty:

Or another option for Photoshop CC is to go to Adobe's website and download a free 30 day trial of Photoshop, if it isn't something you will be using or investing in for the long run :) Definitely give it a shot though, just another fun element to an already awesome competition!

2015 The Gentlemen's Agreement - "Paper Girl" (Romantic Comedy)
2014 The Gentlemen's Agreement - "Love In Reverse" (Musical)
2013 The Gentlemen's Agreement - "Photobooth" (Immobolised) [CHCH Finalist]
2012 The Gentlemen's Agreement - "The 'Wham!' Initiative" (Found Footage) [CHCH Finalist+Best Editing, Original Song, Costume Design]
2011 The Gentlemen's Agreement - "Cornchip" (Quest Movie) [CHCH Finalist+Best Editing]

Michael Bolch

The Great 2015 Film Poster Thread

Poster for "Paper Girl" by The Gentlemen's Agreement!
Heat 3, Thursday 9:30pm, Christchurch.

2012 The Gentlemen's Agreement - "The 'Wham!' Initiative" (Found Footage) [CHCH Finalist+Best Editing, Original Song, Costume Design]
2011 The Gentlemen's Agreement - "Cornchip" (Quest Movie) [CHCH Finalist+Best Editing]

Michael Bolch

Reviews are live

in reply to TheNimbleMarmoset:

Noticed the same thing also. Two other "reviewers" to name drop would be filmmaker and 48hoursofnosleep. The pattern I've noticed with at least one of them is that they are specifically down voting films in the CHCH top 10, and giving suspiciously positive reviews to specific films.

I agree in that these reviews count for nothing but feedback, but in saying that everyone wants constructive criticism for their film, but for people to deliberately drag down a film that people put time and effort into really isn't in the spirit of the competition.

I was really on the fence about commenting on any of this, but I'm really glad I'm not the only one noticing. I could be wrong, but judging by the content and length of the reviews, it seems pretty clear these people either haven't seen the films or have an agenda...

Michael Bolch

The great 2014 Poster thread!

in reply to Mista Teas:

Sadly the record needle has been lifted from the Love Swamp double album (or record single & free frisbee as it were), but hopefully you can find a song or three in Love In Reverse to add to your regular playlist!

As always, we are looking forward to Mista Teas' reviews later this week, for better or worse :)

Michael Bolch

The great 2014 Poster thread!

Love In Reverse: A Musical by The Gentlemen's Agreement!

Screening tonight, 9:30 at Reading Cinemas Christchurch!

Michael Bolch

Failure rate?

in reply to AJ:

Here it is, straight from the source:

"CHCH #48hoursnz stats: 86 handed in on time; 5 late; 3 MIA; 11 out of towners."

Michael Bolch

CHCH AUDIENCE FAVOURITES 2013

in reply to videoamp1969:

Interesting to see everyone's finalists calls this year, can't wait to see the rest of these films, going by the buzz on the forums a few of them sound really amazing!

Michael Bolch

2012 GRAND FINALISTS & WILDCARDS

in reply to Rocket Boy:

CHCH doesn't have teams full of Shortland St actors or full time animation studios or people working for Weta...

Personally, I don't have an issue with this. I hear this battered around quite a bit by teams and 48 Hours "outsiders" alike. I do believe there is no simple or clear-cut solution, not that I'd want there to be a solution at all.

People tend to say things like "they shouldn't allow large/professional/industry/company teams to enter", but if you start excluding or separating "professional" teams into their own category, you begin to enter into the very murky area of "What defines professional?". If you do manage to define what a "professional" team is, there will always be teams bending the rules and finding work-arounds/loop holes. This also dulls the element of friendly competition in my mind.

I (as a member of a younger team of 5) personally like the sense of friendly competition, it ensures you don't cut corners and strive to do the best you can, as that corner you cut could cost you later in the competition. Also, as I say often over 48 Hours and the heats, "Story is King". You can be up against a team of complete professionals, but if your story is great and well-told, people will take notice.

Michael Bolch

in reply to Mista Teas:

Yeah I've thought all this through as well (before I posted), and as you said, Dunedin and other regions will be feeling exactly the same - considering 0 finalists - which is why I'm hesitant to comment, as it can come off quite conceited.

With a competition like this with limited places, people will miss out, and to better films. And on the other end, there are always a couple films in the final which leave you wondering what the judges saw in it that you didn't. Which I always put down to personal taste, not judge error!

I'm not saying winning regional would help anyone (I wasn't expecting our film to win CHCH, or be a grand finalist, and it did neither haha!). All I meant was that with how strong CHCH was this year, I did expect to see another CHCH film as a legitimate judge-appointed finalist.

The wider audience thing is an interesting topic though; every year after the buzz and being caught up in the world of 48 Hours, I always get a reality check with the "real world" who, as you say, don't get the fuss!

Michael Bolch

in reply to Cardinal:

I really want to strongly encourage everyone to get into the Christchurch screening room and watch any/all of LIONEL FANTASY VII, DAY 6, TRUE, SUPERNOVA, FUKUSHU or THE WHAM! INITIATIVE, all of which are films that really deserve a wider audience.

I was actually thinking of posting the exact same thing a couple of days ago. I (and others I've chatted with) feel Christchurch was overlooked/underrepresented at the grand finals, and that there were at (very) least 2 other films that could have been in the grand finals, my own team's film excluded from this opinion due to an obvious bias!

This is in no way a comment on any of the finalist films (it was definitely a crazy good final; so many great shorts!), it's just as Cardinal said: it's a real shame so many genuinely good films won't get a wider audience.

And everyone needs to check out TBALC'S (Cardinal's) film "NICKY + EVE 19/5". Definitely can't leave your own film out of that list man, was surprised when it didn't take out Christchurch!

Michael Bolch

2012 CHRISTCHURCH WINNERS

in reply to Brendon:

Great to see TBALC's film up online, it was definitely my favourite at the CHCH finals; I've been raving about it ever since! I was completely floored when you came in at second place, and genuinely disappointed not to see your film in the grand finals. Thought it definitely deserved a spot...

Following your lead Brandon, here is The Gentlemen's Agreement:

The "Wham!" Initiative

Michael Bolch

upload???

in reply to Andrew Todd:

If you're not a national finalist, but you're nommed for national awards, when should you be uploading your film? Is it ok to before grand finals, or should teams in this situation just sit tight?

Michael Bolch

Ratty Crack Bride rules. Beyond 48 hours etc.

In spite of me holding up Peter J as a hero, I always feel he is almost single handedly responsible for the naive identification that many new film makers have with horror or splatter as a viable entry point for their career.

To this I'd like to give my 2c worth.

Firstly, I think that this isn't just an NZ "issue", as many new filmmakers are younger filmmakers, and are naturally going to make films that are entertaining/cool/fun to them. Same as younger filmmakers making action movies, slapstick/gross-out comedies and cop films. I guess it comes with a certain level of maturity.

Secondly, horror IS a viable entry point. Horror movies are generally cheap to make, and they always have an audience, meaning there is more likelihood for the studio and filmmakers to make a profit.

Studios are going to be more willing to give a smaller budget to an unproven filmmaker making a film with a known target audience, than to give more money (as Shifty pointed out, dramatic costs more) to an unproven filmmaker to make a dramatic film, which tend to flounder at the box office more than succeed.

Thirdly, I believe it was Wes Craven who was told by the studio that he could make any film he wanted to, after he makes Scream 3 for them. The studio used it as a bargaining chip as Wes Craven was hesitant to make Scream 3, but did it in the end so that he could them make the drama "Music of the Heart". As I said, studios see horrors as cheap to make, and easier to pull a return on.

Anyway, that's my 2c worth. Feel free to tell me I'm wrong; these were just some points and cases I thought were relevant to this discussion.

Michael Bolch

2012 CHRISTCHURCH WINNERS

Man what a good night! Congrats to all the finalists, award-winners and the top 3!

Michael Bolch

Chch Finalist Predictions

in reply to Mista Teas:

Whoop! So stoked to get through! And thanks for your kind words/review Mista Teas, I'm just glad people were entertained by the fruits of our weekend.

Can't wait to see a few of the films I missed out on... There are a lot of great ones there, it's gonna be a wicked night!