VF48Hours 2020 Forum

Forum > Posts by ruth

Posts by ruth

ruth
Since: May 2011

Finalists

At national level we take the winner from each centre as the nominee. Awards which are national only are selected from the entire pool - so this year Best Female Director, Solo/Duo and Ultra nominees were selected from teams who were eligible in those categories regardless of region.

Best Ultra is based on the way teams use the Ultra elements, with two different elements this was a big challenge this year and there were some very innovation approaches.

ruth

Filling up the screening room

Nice thoughts - we do have everyone's films but some teams don't want them uploaded. This year we are upgrading the screening room and we will look at whether we can help upload stuff once that has been sorted. :)

ruth

Christchurch Finalist Prediction Thread

in reply to Bloydd:

Yeah no ultras got DQd for not doing it right - there were late ones though - shoulda been clearer.

ruth

Wellington Predictions

Oooo thanks Dave, I've been waiting for your predictions. We'll find out if you are right tomorrow night!

ruth

2019 Thoughts

Super interesting reading feedback on the elements. We try to balance giving teams something to inspire them in the writing process, while also not limiting them too much, or forcing them all to end up too samey. We spend a lot of time tossing ideas up on these. We did wonder about how many farts we were going to get this year and turns out not many in Wellington.

ruth

Thread about anything else!

Aw such a bummer about Blood and Bone, but I guess thats the comp - you can come second in the country one year and then no make it the next.

ruth

Thread about anything else!

I can officially say all the Ultra teams have not been disqualified. Bloody impressed with the ones I've seen.

ruth

Solo teams past and present (and duos if you see this)

Think Comic book Toowit Toowoo

ruth

Lighting discount for Auckland teams

And not a lot of daylight the week before winter solstice even if the sun comes up.

ruth

Solo teams past and present (and duos if you see this)

I just want to say that teams that go solo or duo are amazing.

ruth

Copyright questions

Here's another one - Are memes royalty free or public domain?

Probably not - you will need to check each meme - if it uses an image that the creator has made or that is old enough to be in the public domain, or is creative commons licensed then it might be.

I'd suggest avoiding anything on the internet and make your own.

Here's my favourite image source site - https://www.flickr.com/commons

ruth

Copyright questions

Here's a question - Lots of public domain imagery is for non-commercial use
Does being a competition, make the 48hrs commercial?

In the T and Cs for entry, teams agree to license 48Hours the use of their film for 24 months, worldwide, for a variety of uses, some of which could be commercial - i.e. if we supplied them to a broadcaster who screened it with adverts around it.

So yes, it would be best to allow for commercial use. You can also ask the people you're getting the image from - they may be OK with a film competition.

Its always best to ask.

ruth

Copyright questions

Every year everyone has a lot of questions about copyright. We have info on the 48Hours website here - https://www.48hours.co.nz/rules/copyright-legal-faq/

If you have any other questions then post them here and we'll keep up with the answers for you.

ruth

Review Site

Just to note that the generous Nick Burridge does a lot of work on the review site out of the goodness of his heart. We are working towards a combined Screening room and review site in the future but are lucky enough to still have Nick helping out this year. Thanks Nick!

ruth

Awards

Anyone who completes an Ultra film (and isn't DQd for any reason) will get a special Ultra Certificate again this year. I've just sent them to the printers. :)