VF48Hours Lockdown Forum

Forum > Posts by ruth

Posts by ruth

ruth
Since: May 2011

Judging this competition

Ah judging - always a hot topic in 48Hours. As Ant has noted sometimes we can't even please ourselves.

This mini comp has been quite different - Ness and I usually have 4 months of the year to run the competition, with a quarter of the entries. For this lockdown version we had 3.5 weeks from announcement to finals, with 1203 eligible films. Running the lockdown comp has been like doing the shoot weekend for a whole month for us lol. We've really enjoyed it though.

It did mean that the comp needed to be a lot simpler, lest awards, no noms and shorter run times.

There are definitely some amazing films that didn't make it to the finals, and even in the main comp, there are always films we love, that just get beaten by other films. One thing I have learned running this comp is that once teams are in the top group, it's less what is wrong with a film, and more that there is another film that the judges like slightly more.

As noted on the judging page, the main judges get a shortlist which is developed by Ness, Ant and I. We take this VERY seriously, watch a lot of films and take care to make sure that every film is given a chance. The judges also take the comp seriously. They are filmmakers themselves and always comment about how impressed they are, how amazed they are at what people can do and often offer to judge again next year. We like to have a range of judges - people who are local, and understand an NZ context, international who don't know any of the teams and we do like to throw in people who have competed as well and especially in the city finals we have past winners on the panels.

Its good to hear your thoughts on judging, and we do tweak the process each year.

ruth

New reviews / screening room!

Hey all, lots of great notes about the screening room. As I
am sure Nick will testify, web development is complex and even a simple change can add up to a lot of $. We are lucky that Nick donated so much of his time over the years for very little or no cost. Thanks Nick - you are a hero.

Now that we have consolidated the reviews and screening room together we will be allowing for additional changes and updates in each competition cycle, so will be keeping a running list of updates that we will look to implement over time. We'll keep an eye on your comments about this.

The biggest issue that you have all bought up is that currently the film needs to be uploaded before a review can be written. For this mini challenge that hasn't mattered as we haven't had the traditional heats process. We know that we will need to consider how this will work with the main competition and how we work that is on our minds. But we will solve that later.

As we see how the Covid-19 situation develops we may still need to make changes to the main competition - unless the ban on large gatherings is lifted it won't be possible to run things as they have in the past. But now that you all have your fix we can wait and see what happens before planning the main one.

ruth

New screening time for the finals

Hi all, not sure how many of you still populate the forums, but we have had our screening times revised - here's the new info:

The top films in VF48HOURS: LOCKDOWN will be screened in a one hour TV special on TVNZ 2.

Friday May 8th - 9.10PM on TVNZ 2

with a special follow up screening on Saturday May 9th - 9.25PM on DUKE

**You can watch the live broadcast online via TVNZ's Ondemand website.

ruth

A proper one

We are still working towards a proper full version of the comp - we had postponed to later in the year once the limits on gatherings were put in place. When the NZ on Air funding opportunity came up we saw a chance to run a lockdown edition. This is why it's been a bit different - and not the full main comp. We will wait and see how things progress with the alert levels and limits on crowds etc before we can go ahead with the full comp, but hope this has helped give you all a fix.

ruth

Finalists

At national level we take the winner from each centre as the nominee. Awards which are national only are selected from the entire pool - so this year Best Female Director, Solo/Duo and Ultra nominees were selected from teams who were eligible in those categories regardless of region.

Best Ultra is based on the way teams use the Ultra elements, with two different elements this was a big challenge this year and there were some very innovation approaches.

ruth

Filling up the screening room

Nice thoughts - we do have everyone's films but some teams don't want them uploaded. This year we are upgrading the screening room and we will look at whether we can help upload stuff once that has been sorted. :)

ruth

Christchurch Finalist Prediction Thread

in reply to Bloydd:

Yeah no ultras got DQd for not doing it right - there were late ones though - shoulda been clearer.

ruth

Wellington Predictions

Oooo thanks Dave, I've been waiting for your predictions. We'll find out if you are right tomorrow night!

ruth

2019 Thoughts

Super interesting reading feedback on the elements. We try to balance giving teams something to inspire them in the writing process, while also not limiting them too much, or forcing them all to end up too samey. We spend a lot of time tossing ideas up on these. We did wonder about how many farts we were going to get this year and turns out not many in Wellington.

ruth

Thread about anything else!

Aw such a bummer about Blood and Bone, but I guess thats the comp - you can come second in the country one year and then no make it the next.

ruth

Thread about anything else!

I can officially say all the Ultra teams have not been disqualified. Bloody impressed with the ones I've seen.

ruth

Solo teams past and present (and duos if you see this)

Think Comic book Toowit Toowoo

ruth

Lighting discount for Auckland teams

And not a lot of daylight the week before winter solstice even if the sun comes up.

ruth

Solo teams past and present (and duos if you see this)

I just want to say that teams that go solo or duo are amazing.

ruth

Copyright questions

Here's another one - Are memes royalty free or public domain?

Probably not - you will need to check each meme - if it uses an image that the creator has made or that is old enough to be in the public domain, or is creative commons licensed then it might be.

I'd suggest avoiding anything on the internet and make your own.

Here's my favourite image source site - https://www.flickr.com/commons