VF48Hours Lockdown Forum

Forum > Posts by Galen

Posts by Galen

Galen
Since: Jul 2019

2019 Screening Room gems

Hi Rowox, I clicked on this thread intending to say Tinder 2.0. I've just completed watching everything in the screening room so far and Tinder 2.0 is my only 7/7 having reviewed everything as well. I see from your signature that your effort from this year isn't up yet so I'm guessing it's in the finals. But I'm gonna tick everything off once it gets to the screening room. My effort from this year is Promotion Road if you want to comment on that, I don't mind what you say, it ain't going to be everyone's cup of tea. And if you haven't seen it, it puts the gross in gross-out comedy so if that's not your thing be warned (we got a nomination for best use of genre).

Galen

Reviewing all 2019 films in the screening room

I just completed everything that's in there currently but when I get back from overseas there'll be a pile of Hamilton, BOP and Gisborne along with all the city finalists. I've only given one 7 star rating so far (Tinder 2.0) but if my taste is similar to the judges there should be more top films when the city finalists get posted.

Galen

Inconsistency between reviews and scores

in reply to CraigWB:

IMDb is a bit of an interesting story, a lot of people will vote 1 or 10 to drag a film up or down, for the films that are generally considered the worst, when you look at the vote breakdowns you'll find that 10 is the second most popular vote after 1. I've also heard that people will give films 1 they haven't seen because they know it's going to suck or are offended by the concept. At least if you give a low rating on this site there's nowhere to hide, you have to do a review with your rating and if you don't provide a solid reason or just type gibberish everyone will see you for the troll you are.

Galen

Inconsistency between reviews and scores

Not sure if anyone is still hanging around here but I'll make my point anyway. I'm working through the screening room and reviewing anything and I always look at what previous reviewers have said. What I often notice is rave reviews that are 4/7 and positive reviews that are 3/7 and I wonder if people are just used to rating out of 5 stars and haven't got their head around adjusting the scores to being out of 7 (I like out of 7 as I don't think out of 5 is enough options). But 4/7 is completely average when there is no 0 option (halfway between 1 and 7). I'd give that score to a film that was fully competent but never more than that or a film that was good and bad in equal measure. As for 3/7 that's not terrible but it's definitely mediocre/seriously flawed/below average. There is another type of inconsistency that comes from trolls where they either seek to sabotage competitors (one review was "1/7, good film") or vote up their own. Can't do anything about these dipshits but I think other people could take a bit more care in thinking about ratings. For the averages they get scaled back to out of 5, for example 4.0/7 turns into 2.9/5.

Galen

in reply to steelpotato:

Did you make a film? Obviously if you made a finalist it can't go up yet.

Galen

in reply to steelpotato:

All the films in the screening room from all years? Only 2010 onwards are available to review. Or all 2019 films including those that don't get into the screening room? Not sure how to see all of them.

Galen

If you want me to prioritise your film let me know. I'm going on a Volunteer building trip to Tonga from July 6-16 and don't expect to be able to review anything in that time. My film is Promotion Road (Foreign Objects, Christchurch) and it's in the screening room.