VF48Hours Forum

Forum > Posts by TheRealClose

Posts by TheRealClose

TheRealClose
Since: Sep 2017

Christchurch City Finals: morning-after de-brief/-lirium/-tox

in reply to Bloydd:

I think for next year as a region we just needa work a little bit on making sure all our films are in focus, we were all guilty of it, guys.

Our team is particularly guilty.

2019 // rip focus // a nipple in time
2018 // rip focus // A Slice of You
2017 // rip focus // A Ripple In Time
2016 // Bus Stop Studios // Knitting, Crochet & Embroidery

TheRealClose

2019 Thoughts

Dynamic link between Premiere and After Effects has always been buggy for me.

If you have Macs, using AirDrop is the breeziest way to transfer files. That’s how we worked this year, and we copied al the footage onto a portable SSD that could move between us.

TheRealClose

2019 Thoughts

in reply to Joel_Tempero:

I think I found myself less motivated to do it

That’s funny. I would’ve loved to do a split screen film. Like toowit has said this year is what Ultra always should’ve been.

Didn't they change the rules this year so that any team that's been a city finalist before is now eligible?

Only national finalists, I believe.

TheRealClose

2019 Thoughts

I'm here thinking we'll probably get third place in our heat.

Is that not optimistic?

I thought elements this year were pretty good. Definitely required some creative thinking to use them well. Looking forward to see how some people used them.

Getting Time Travel was a little disappointing at first, as we’d done one a couple years ago, and it’s a genre where you really need to think outside the box in order to make anything vaguely original.

I really liked the Ultra challenge this year (although not competing in Ultra yet). I think it’s a genuinely great added challenge to have split screen, so much so that I wonder if the 4th wall break was really necessary.

I don’t have a huge issue with the timing this year. I think the weather is an interesting additional challenge to have on occasion. Obviously the announcement timing wasn’t ideal but we work with what we’ve got.

I felt that the launch / hand in was a lot smoother in a Chch than last year, however the venue still suffers from a speaker set up that isn’t designed for such an event. 2017 set up was perfect as far as I’m concerned.

Excited for some Auckland heats and Chch finals. Really disappointed I can’t be at any Chch heats - another victim of the late announcement.

TheRealClose

Review Site

in reply to Nick Burridge:

It would be great if the "About Me" section could have line breaks. When I add breaks and save, it still appears all in one line when I view it.

TheRealClose

Classic Bants (whats your best 48hour story?)

In 2016 we handed in with about 4 minutes to spare. Could’ve easily been 30-40 if our DP hadn’t convinced us to use the highest possible export settings in Premiere.

So don’t do that. Just choose the YouTube 1080p preset and let it do its thing.

Also having an SSD to store footage on the next couple of years was a godsend.

TheRealClose

48Hours 2019

Strang, rest assured I will be competing this year, whatever it takes.

But man this post doesn’t age well. It’s amazing how much one’s plans and priorities in life can change in less than a year.

TheRealClose

Best team intro

Just wanted to put it out there that this award should totally be reconsidered, at least for the regional competition. I feel like there were significantly less team intros last year because they were basically discouraged. Does it really do any harm though?

Surely I can’t be the only one that misses this fun little award.

TheRealClose

48Hours 2019

Sooo I assume April/May was the most popular vote in the wrap up form this year?

I just thought I’d throw in my two cents as I personally find that time of year a challenge for 48Hrs.

I hope you guys are considering the timing of Easter next year, which is the 2nd to last weekend of April, and aren’t thinking about having it that weekend or too close to it (ANZAC/Avengers weekend is the weekend after also).

Anyway the reason I personally would like to bring this up is because I run the video team at Eastercamp in Christchurch, which is a huge gig that really drains all the energy from me (and keeps me super busy with prep in the months leading up to it), and this year I was still fairly exhausted on 48Hrs weekend (which was probably half EC recovery and half terrible student diet), which led to me being less able and involved in the making of our film.

In fairness I can’t say with 100% certainty that I’ll be participating again in EC and 48Hrs just due to the unknown of my potential career movements next year, but I’d like to think it’s fairly unlikely I wouldn’t.

And yea me and my teammate Joel might be the only people with this potential issue, but I just want to make our voices heard.

Like 48Hrs, Eastercamp is actually a really great avenue for up and coming videographers to get some experience, so I hope you don’t just toss our cause aside.

4 out of 5 of the Best Cinematography Chch nominees in 2017 worked on EC. ;)

Anyway thanks for reading! Remember to smash that like button, and if you haven’t already, subscribe and hit that bell icon so you don’t miss out on any new content.

Ps. was great seeing and meeting some of you guys tonight! I had a really good time.

TheRealClose

2018 Recurring Themes

I’m surprised no one has mentioned or picked up on the surprising amount of Groundhog Day style time loops. Four films I saw that follow such a premise, and I only saw half of the Chch heats.

TheRealClose

Ultra 2018

in reply to dramamike:

What about it must be in real time, ie no time jumps?

That was already a genre last year. It would be funny if Ultra was making your film a musical though, as that tends to be the most hated genre.

TheRealClose

Ultra 2018

I won’t be doing Ultra as our team is only in its 4th year, and frankly, we aren’t nearly ready to face that beast.

But some cool ideas could be ‘Choose any film to place your short film within the same continuity of’ - you may say that’s limiting again but it would be pretty easy really considering you could choose literally any movie. The key would be to keep it creative and intergrating it well. Unsure on potential copyright issues with something like that though.

‘You must edit your film in Windows Movie Maker’ - unsure about the logistics of this sort of thing but it would be a great challenge.

‘You must use this song’ - and if 48hrs could lisence a really famous song that would be pretty cool. Although not sure if that’s really an Ultra level challenge.

‘You must present your film in portrait orientation’ - this would be a huge challenge on many levels, but I imagine the community might hate the idea.

Also I really think there needs to be a “Best Ultra” award in each city. A bit annoying for all the teams that busted their arses last year and didn’t get any acknowledgement for the extra work they put in.

TheRealClose

Is 48 Hours discouraging team intros?

I was pretty disappointed that there was no Best Team Intro award this year, as it's a great light hearted award which gives even the least capable filmmakers a chance at fame.

I also noticed that a lot of teams didn't even have an intro this year, and the time restriction was cut down to 20 seconds to our team's dismay.

So is 48 Hours trying to phase out team intros entirely? If so, why? If not, why get rid of the award?

I love team intros and having the award available gives us the motivation to make something great out of it.

Would be interested to hear others thoughts on the matter.

P.S. huge congrats to all the ChCh winners! We would've come down for drinks but we had kids in the team, so Macas it was!