VF48Hours Forum

Forum > Posts by Sam Page

Posts by Sam Page

Sam Page
Since: Jun 2017

100 Days to go

In two weeks time, we'll all be frantically rushing around trying to finish up to submit. I can already feel the pressure.

Sam Page

Heat Observations/Trends/Drinking game?

All this hate for one goofy scream?

I made a film of very questionable quality* but I think the scream was integrated quite cleanly. When you layer it with other screams it is distinguishable but really not that out of place.

It stands out so much less than hearing about a character called "Charlie Flowers" 12 films in a row, in previous years that has really taken me out of most films. Maybe this wouldn't be the case for an audience members who haven't been involved in producing a film but still.

*I had Z Grade so that's fine...

Sam Page

Changes to the Wrap Up Form

in reply to Jason:

Getting this data at any other time would be a nightmare but hopefully it will be used to draw a more diverse crowd to enter.

I loved the support from HP this year.

I agree, I thought they did an awesome job as sponsors. I actually think this year was the best contribution from the naming sponsor in the 7 years since I started participating.

I even found myself starting to think of Hewlett-Packard as a "cool" company. If that isn't a clear example of sponsorship done right, I don't know what is.

Suggestion: an opt-out for the texts perhaps?

As for launch and hand in, it needs to be bigger if anything. I was a solo team (in Auckland) this year so maybe I had a different experience. It was good but there could have been even more done.

Sam Page

Auckland locations???

Have you checked the council listings?

https://bookings.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/facilities/community-facilities/search?VenueName=&FromLocation=&Capacity=&Date=26%2F08%2F2017&FromHour=&ToHour=&search=Search&FromLocationLatitude=&FromLocationLongitude=

Sam Page

One day to go...

10 minutes to go! Good luck all!

Sam Page

One day to go...

I am so nervous and excited. I've never successfully completed a film as a solo team before and I'm going to be so out of my depth. I can't wait.

the several weeks of Cult Popture popping up on my Facebook feed. (Seriously, Alex, great work on that).

+1 to this. It's been awesome seeing so many cool shorts I had never seen/never appreciated before. Great job AJ, they totally embodied the whole feel and tone of 48.

Sam Page

HEAD TO THE FB PAGE IF YOU WANT TO SURVIVE

in reply to dramamike:

I'm sure it was there. Top two at one point in the voting.

Phew, so it probably did make the #12 spot.

Thanks to the rule change I guess I'll get started filming tonight. Any actors in the Central Auckland area able to deliver a convincing "we ordered way too many rugs and they all need to go" as a ghost?

Edit: If you can't portray "equally haunted by a protracted presence in this mortal plane and by the huge oversight to order just so many rugs" please do NOT apply

Sam Page

If it isn't "Alternate Reality Big Save Furniture Commercial" I'm gonna be mad.

(I'm going to be even madder if I find out no one even suggested this)

Edit: Originally I wrote Magness Benrow, I meant Big Save Furniture. The former only produce radio ads to my knowledge.

Sam Page

Which genre won the #12 spot?

Sam Page

What if changed all the requirements this year?

Just back to talking requirements, I'm not sure if this has been mentioned but I have a strong feeling that we'll be integrating a piece of footage this year. Thoughts?

Sam Page

NEW RULES - IMPORTANT

People have been comparing this to the use of stock music. I can see that point, it just makes me wonder that maybe all music should be original too...

This mechanic will be used in awesome ways I'm sure, but to those who say you won't be able to reuse footage effectively in a different genre or with the new elements, just look at the recut romcom trailer for the Shining or the Horror cut of Mrs Doubtfire.

With good direction and reasonable technical skill, an editor could easily rework an existing longer form piece with minimal reshoots.

(Although with bad direction, an editor might do the same and make Suicide Squad.)

Sam Page

So Ant wants teams to take more risks this year. What do you think that looks like?

I'd still rather watch 12 finalists of great quality with cohesive stories than a bunch of esoteric films which don't make sense.

I agree that if they're shifting toward pure esotericism it could be a bit of a disaster but if they're cracking down on those (particularly pro) teams churning out mediocrity then that's awesome.

Sam Page

What's the best thing you've ever made?

But seriously I'm not totally proud of anything I've made... it makes me want to go out and make something really good.

Writing this comment has actually really eroded my self esteem actually :/

Not as much as my son's when he reads it though

Sam Page

What's the best thing you've ever made?

My son.

Sam Page

what is your creative process when it comes to writing your script?

I defs agree with AJ about having a head writer and the understanding that whatever is written needs to be critiqued.

Although I've never been in a team that's actually done this (and this year I'm in a solo team), if I were a team lead for a group I would plan* to do it like this:

1.brainstorm ideas, write down what's said
2. settle on a one sentence summary of the concept
3. head writer splits from group and plans a story structure. Meanwhile the rest of the team brainstorm gags, compelling set pieces and genre tropes**
4. whole team review story structure
5. whole team brainstorm around the structure and introduce the best ideas from step 3
6. head writer writes the script
7. ??
8. profit

*this is only based on how I would like to work. It makes sense to me based on how I like to do things. Other people may say "have one person go and sit in a dark room while the rest of the team drink all the V. Tell them not to come back without a masterpiece." and may well end up at the Nationals.

**this is not only applicable to genre-parody films. It's probably worth considering to set the tone for any film- get it in "the language of film" or whatever the film buffs call it. It's been one of the main failings of a few of my films in the past.