VF48Hours Forum

Forum > Posts by Scott Doar

Posts by Scott Doar

Scott Doar
Since: Sep 2016

Classic Bants (whats your best 48hour story?)

Thought i'd make a thread for people to share their most epic/horrible stories and lessons learnt from previous years.

I think smashing a sugar glass vase over our actors head was one of my favourites.

Always say your worst ideas out loud. you never know what will generate the first spark of an idea that turns into something great.

2018 Jovial Entertainment: "Daddys Little Angel"
2017 Jovial Entertainment: "Pizza Money"(Grand Finalist)(Winner best editing) (audience favorite) Auckland
2016 Jovial Entertainment: "Munchies" (audience favorite) Auckland
2015 Jovial Entertainment: "Perp" Auckland
2014 Stampede Tiddlywinks "Date Time" Auckland
2012 Stampede Tiddlywinks: "Poolside story" Auckland
2011 Team Bella: "Wire" (best art direction and some other stuff) Hamilton
2010 ...uuummm i entered but i have no idea ,my life in hamilton was a blur ...Hamilton
2009 Go gecko: ....pass Hamilton

Scott Doar

Shoot Weekend confirmed: June 14 - 16

Not to be a downer but i'm curious about peoples thoughts around the use of guns this year? After what happened in chch i figured it might be a good discussion to have before the competition kicks off? Id personally rather there not be an out right ban but Id understand if that was the case. Maybe just a "hey teams just keep it respectful" message Type thing could work??

2017 Jovial Entertainment: "Pizza Money"(Grand Finalist)(Winner best editing) (audience favorite) Auckland
2010 ...uuummm i entered but i have no idea ,my life in hamilton was a blur ...Hamilton

Scott Doar

Auckland finals - insanely good

Yea this yeas final was insane .every film was immaculate..they should make ultra next year that you have to shoot on mini dv...imagine the chaos of real time import and export

Scott Doar

Ultra clarification

if you had a character that was an adult and wasn't intended to be a main character but when you cut the film they came out quite prominent in the film (main character is definitely a child) would you be disqualified or just marked down? or would they just let it slide of your film is good enough? just wondering how they would judge it????

Scott Doar

How did you find your Genre's and the elements for 2018

Or producer informed us on Saturday morning that he had told us it was slapstick instead of splatstick.... Luckily we had coincidently gone down the splatstick route. So yea genre wants too hard but the ultra part wasn't easy but ultimately made it a better film.

Scott Doar

Changes to Awards

Man im so happy about sound design making it in. f

Scott Doar

F:Rad Back Again

gonna give ultra a crack?

Scott Doar

Hamilton discussions

T'was an awesome night. All the films were great and considerably better than the last hamilton finals i went to (like 5 years ago) I was a bit gutted that a couple of the films that got lots of nominations did not play. i really wanted to see the one that won best collision. overall good effort hamilton and fingers crossed a couple of them make it into the grand finals.

Scott Doar

2017 Auckland Finalists Discussion

Greg Page was my tutor a few years back down in Hamilton. Hes a super good stop motion animator and a little bit crazy (in a good way) I can imagine he will pick some pretty mental films.

Scott Doar

2017 Auckland Finalists Discussion

AUCKLAND CITY JUDGES
Ivan Barge
Ivan's second short film, Madam Black, has been selected for over 150 festivals worldwide. The film has gone on to win over 40 awards, including Best Short at the New Zealand Film Awards. While his first short film, Snooze Time, was featured in the New Directors section of 'Shots'.

Cass Avery
Cass Avery is EVP of Production and Development at Augusto. As a producer and writer she has worked across all platforms of screen entertainment and is currently helming on her second show for Discovery, has 2 features in development and is in production with a documentary in the US.

Jacinda Ryan
Jacinda is the GM of Sony Pictures and has spent many enjoyable years in the industry working on blockbuster studio films, specialized arthouse films (most passionate about) along with some fabulous local productions.

Jill McNab
General Manager of Vendetta Films and General in charge of Vendetta Productions. I watch hundreds of new movies and read a ton of scripts each year, try to find the gems, then manage their releases across NZ & Australia.

Chelsie Preston-Crayford
Chelsie is well known to New Zealand audiences and has won numerous awards here and abroad for her screen work including an Australian Logie for her work as Tilly Devine in UNDERBELLY RAZOR and a prestigious AACTA award for her work in the ABC series THE CODE. She recently starred in Jackie Van Beeks THE INLAND ROAD, cult US series ASH vs EVIL DEAD, Netflix’s THE LEGEND OF MONKEY and is currently directing her second short film.

Simon Raby
Professional narcoleptic who uses wakefulness as scoring pattern when watching movies.

Joe Lonie
Joe is a righteous dude. He likes Pina Coladas and getting caught in the rain. He has been known to slap the bass for Supergroove. He is the writer/director of many music videos including "Sophie" & "Blowing Dirt" by Goodshirt and the award-winning short films "Shout at the Ground" & "Honk if You're Horny".

Greg Page
One feature, 3 short films, 91 music videos, and 20 years making TV commercials. I'm ready to judge this.

Morgan Leigh Stewart
With over a decade of experience creating and facilitating film projects and events Morgan has produced over two dozen music videos, 14 short films, one feature, and one 48HOURS Grand Finalist film.

Scott Doar

Whats up with heat 10?

That's a really good point. im not sure where the suggestion box is for this type of thing, but definitely upping the character limit would be great. also a place for team Bio's would be cool.

Scott Doar

Whats up with heat 10?

Well i don't really mind people reviewing their own films as a joke. (this happend with my team last year but has since been removed) but you should really be using that time to review the other teams hard work as well. There's a definite art to writing a good review so i'm super keen to seem them bring back a reviewer award in one form or another.

Scott Doar

Whats up with heat 10?

Yea i just feel for the other teams in the heat. like why go to the trouble of making an account just to review your own film??? just a bit of a bit of a pain.

Scott Doar

Whats up with heat 10?

There are some suspicious goings on in the review site with heat 10. Couldn't help but notice that there is one film which has 13 reviews, 10 of which have 7 star ratings and don't say a whole lot. then every other film in the heat only has one review per film....its almost as if its been rigged?? which has also put the well reviewed team in the #1 position in the Auckland heats....so on that note id like to give a shout out to the reviewer aaannarose for reviewing most of the films in heat ten and giving genuine feedback. getting good constructive feed back is an essential part of helping teams grow from year to year and overall helps make the competition a great thing to be part of!

Scott Doar

Auckland Finalist Predictions!

in reply to Nick Burridge:

oh right. for some reason i thought i couldn't vote for them during the heat..i may have gotten my teams mixed up..sorry guys! my bad