VF48Hours Forum

Forum > Posts by LiamM

Posts by LiamM

LiamM
Since: May 2015

Reviewing all 2019 films in the screening room

You legends deserve medals.

2019 Unsolicited (ULTRA, solo, Gross-out / cringe comedy) | Mitchell's Here - Auckland Nominee: Best Animation
2018 Self-A-Were (Splatstick) | Mitchell's Here - Auckland Nominee: Best Film, Animation/VFX, Script, Sound Design, Use of the Puddle
2017 The Virtual Robber (Crime) | Mitchell's Here
2016 Stuck Together (Bechdel) | Mitchell's Here
2015 Floored (Mystery) | Mitchell's Here - Auckland Nominee: Best Film, Best Female Performance, Best Animation
2014 Particularly Unusual Bedtime Stories (Shock Ending) | Mitchell's Not Here - Auckland Winner: Best Use of Character
2012 According to Plan (Found Footage Rom-Com) | Fail Bagel
2011 Repressed (Horror) | Fail Bagel
2009 SoundshackFM (Real Time) | The Unpredictables
2006 Battle of the Children's Playthings (Puppet) | 8 Ink

LiamM

2019 Thoughts

Almost every time travel film I've seen so far this year has taken the GROUNDHOG DAY loop approach

Oooooh, that's quite interesting. Possibly reflects a bigger trend of properties that rip off Groundhog Day (Happy Death Day, Russian Doll, Edge of Tomorrow, Before I Fall, Naked).

2019 Unsolicited (ULTRA, solo, Gross-out / cringe comedy) | Mitchell's Here - Auckland Nominee: Best Animation
2018 Self-A-Were (Splatstick) | Mitchell's Here - Auckland Nominee: Best Film, Animation/VFX, Script, Sound Design, Use of the Puddle
2015 Floored (Mystery) | Mitchell's Here - Auckland Nominee: Best Film, Best Female Performance, Best Animation
2014 Particularly Unusual Bedtime Stories (Shock Ending) | Mitchell's Not Here - Auckland Winner: Best Use of Character

LiamM

2019 posters

Mitchell's Here's here.

LiamM

Solo teams past and present (and duos if you see this)

in reply to Rastinha:

We have 3 heats and my heat has no other adult teams in it, just high school teams. They're either going to love my film, or want to crawl under the seats when it talks about puberty, lol.

They should love your film. You're giving them an education. Kia kaha.

LiamM

Solo teams past and present (and duos if you see this)

Did a solo split-screen film this year. Kinda suited my style. I animated one portion using an iPad Pro and filmed the other portion on an iPhone 6s. Viciously drains the battery, so when I had to charge one device, it gave me time to work on the other.

Having said all that, I absolutely did not want Gross-out / Cringe Comedy and feel personally attacked for getting that genre. Please don't bring your kids to my film.

LiamM

Auckland finals - insanely good

It was a hell of a night last night. The collective bar gets higher and higher. Especially in terms of production value. It felt like any of the teams last night had the potential to make a solid feature film.

Half of those films could have taken the top prize without complaint, though the actual winner was the one I tipped (I have a witness, don’t challenge me). It was a joy to watch and to see Halcyon claim the ape.

Heaps of fresh ideas, too. Distant Rumble’s High School film was incredibly well realised and Angel3’s take on the ten year condition was bold. PepTok and Sneeze were more polished than a navy man’s shoes and the focused insanity from Chess Club and PickleThugs made me so happy.

I’m missing heaps out. Please, add some highlights.

LiamM

2018 Recurring Themes

I haven't watched any of the films and yet already seen two naked dude butts in this year's competition thanks to the hashtag #HP48.

A proud tradition still going strong.

LiamM

Newbie Q's - props, genres etc

in reply to kiwidoc:

I'll also add re: entrance fee...

A large part of that price goes to having your film play in an actual cinema during the heats. As long as you hand something in, your film is guaranteed that and it's a great feeling (as long as you have some sort of love for the thing you create).

LiamM

Reviewers’ Pyramid Scheme 2017

in reply to toowit toowoo:

Yeah it's tough when you mix in a bit of live action with animation and it's no longer considered worthy.

I've been told a few times by comrades that we should go "full" animation to grab a nom. Can't bring myself to do it.

LiamM

Reviewers’ Pyramid Scheme 2017

Mint. I'll proudly chuck my bowler hat into this circle.

https://www.48hours.co.nz/screening-room/2017/auckland/the-virtual-robber/

Joshua, I reckon let the HP48 Facebook group know about this forum too - a few of them will probably wanna get on this: https://www.facebook.com/groups/48hoursnz/

LiamM

Want your film reviewed? I'll do the first 10 in this thread.

All the films above have been reviewed. If you're only just reading this and think you've missed out, don't worry - I'll do ANOTHER ten films. Just add them to the forum with the thing you're most proud of.

Hi Liam, Thought I'd help you out too and have posted a review of your film on the database. Cheers.

Cheers, Cap. Always appreciated.

LiamM

Gems of the Screening Room 2k17

Santa's Smoko by Brothers in Crime is soooooooo them i.e. Bloody funny
Gym Buddy by 6 Million Bucks is a ripper of a character relationship piece
Salvage by Argeebee is a hellishly well-produced sci-fi

LiamM

I've been enjoying everyone's shorts so far. You should all have reviews waiting for you.

Haha, none of us can sing but would love another review on our musical, all feedback is welcome.

UNR3ALHAZARD, we were actually in the same heat, so I've already got you covered.

LiamM

Yep, I'll review your film. I'm not brutal, but I am constructive, so if you don't want any negative things said about your film, you probably don't want me writing about it. But I almost always find something to like and I'm sure yours is no different.

The only two catches are:
1) I will DEFINITELY review the first ten films that pop up here. I might do any that appear after that, but no guarantees.
2) Reply to this thread with a link to THE SCREENING ROOM (ie. your film must be uploaded to the screening room) and the one thing about your film you're most proud of.

Please feel free to review other people's films on this thread yourself. It's always good to know how people react to the things we create.

Love, Liam. xoxo

LiamM

Introducing... THE 48HOURS PODCAST

Totally, absolutely excited about this.