48 Hours Forum

Forum > Posts by jjosland

Posts by jjosland

jjosland
Since: May 2015

Shoot Weekend confirmed: June 14 - 16

Great discussions going on here, and you have to appreciate the intelligent comments from both sides.

Just some more food for thought? (As Andrew Todd once said, my films are like KFC, fun to eat, but so bad for you)

I still hold strong that teams should include mini-guns. No-one seemed to care last year, and feel free to disregard again this year, but I just love the absurdity. Space ray-blasters, perhaps at least?

In Christchurch, there is the need to get back to normality for a lot of us, like Mr Teas said. For me, 48hours has always been the excuse to spurge into the extreme, and I would hate the shooting incident to take away more than it already has. With the right guidelines/restrictions/exceptions, and bias removed from judging etc, creativity could prevail.

If not, teams can feel free to keep making films set at home in a kitchen or whatever's easiest. Maybe fall down some stairs for an action sequence? Personally, I would feel ashamed at not having pushed my limits further, especially if you are an experienced team, except you might win the nationals. Twice.

Mad Scientists
2018 We'll just have to do things the long wayStar Crossed Lovers(ULTRA) Christchurch Best Art Direction Nominee
2017 Uber Cyborg 2.0 Sci-Fi Love (ULTRA)
2016 Wrong Target Mistaken Identity |Christchurch Most Incredibly Strange Best Bad Film Nominee|Christchurch Best Art Direction Nominee
2015 Uber Cyborg Science gone mad |Christchurch Most Incredibly Strange Best Bad Movie|Christchurch Best Costume Nominee
2014 One Man Army Against the Odds |National Most Incredibly Strange Best Bad Film|Christchurch Best Team Intro
2011 Humpty Dumpty: The Untold Story Mystery
2009 Blackout Superhero
2008 Take As Prescribed Horror (Disqualified for being over length)
Nervous Poop
2010 48Hours Later Musical | Christchurch Best Bad Film Runner Up
Gorilla Pictures
2006 Rubix Dude and Wheelchair Mania Superhero Film | Christchurch Finalist, Christchurch Best Original Score, Christchurch Best Use Of Character, Christchurch Best Screenplay
2005 Mr Fluffy and the Robot Sci-Fi (Disqualified- 4 minutes late)

jjosland

Shoot Weekend confirmed: June 14 - 16

in reply to Vincent_Vega:

Hi Vincent Vega- just watched some of your films- Love them! Any chance of uploading 2015's one?

I also have to strongly disagree with Andrew about guns being boring. Personally, I find films that are too much a reflection of day to day life very tedious. I fully embrace action spectacle on the big screen, as a pleasurable alternative to reality. Growing up in the 80s, it was the action sequences in films like Die Hard, Predator, and Commando which opened my excited 12 year old eyes, and still do to this day. I don't remember watching Terminator 2 for the talking, although I can quote the whole thing now.

Unfortunately, the reality of the extreme violence has hit far too close to home this time, so the for many the previous excitement of following an action superstar going on a rampage for revenge/redemption now has a very different meaning, and is no longer an easy escape from normality.

I do like Jason from Auckland's ideas.

Hope that helps,

JJ

Mad Scientists
2018 We'll just have to do things the long wayStar Crossed Lovers(ULTRA) Christchurch Best Art Direction Nominee
2016 Wrong Target Mistaken Identity |Christchurch Most Incredibly Strange Best Bad Film Nominee|Christchurch Best Art Direction Nominee
2015 Uber Cyborg Science gone mad |Christchurch Most Incredibly Strange Best Bad Movie|Christchurch Best Costume Nominee
2014 One Man Army Against the Odds |National Most Incredibly Strange Best Bad Film|Christchurch Best Team Intro
2009 Blackout Superhero
Nervous Poop
Gorilla Pictures
2006 Rubix Dude and Wheelchair Mania Superhero Film | Christchurch Finalist, Christchurch Best Original Score, Christchurch Best Use Of Character, Christchurch Best Screenplay

jjosland

Ultra 2019 (and why you should do it)

I love your stuff themorgan! I used a 4 month old to play two opposing military overlords. Fun times. I am still recovering from that weekend.

Mad Scientists
2009 Blackout Superhero
Nervous Poop
Gorilla Pictures

jjosland

How did you find your Genre's and the elements for 2018

2019 Genre: Mad Scientist Back Catalogue Film.

Wow that would be liberating!

Mad Scientists
2009 Blackout Superhero
Nervous Poop
Gorilla Pictures

jjosland

How did you find your Genre's and the elements for 2018

Perhaps a coincidence, but the 72hour horror film racing competition earlier in Match this year required a 'shadow' and 'a door opening'. Not promoting this competition, but rather just pointing out that we could have probably gotten away with submitting our entry for that with minor changes!

ANYWAY could the decision makers PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE consider some really really exciting genres, like 80s Action Movie. I mention this each year that personally I prefer to indulge in an action spectacle, which I feel has the maximise the effect of having things displayed on a BIG SCREEN. Primarily, I crave visual feasts, rather than a traditional story arc.

The year with 'Grindhouse' as a genre produced some cool entries!

I really would like to see a year where teams are forced to dust off their mini-guns out from their hiding places.

Mad Scientists
2009 Blackout Superhero
Nervous Poop
Gorilla Pictures

jjosland

2018 Pyramid Review Scheme

Great stuff Steelpotato- You're a machine!
Just reviewed yours.
Here's mine I did with my 4month old boy:

We'll just have to do things the long way

Who's next?

Mad Scientists
2009 Blackout Superhero
Nervous Poop
Gorilla Pictures

jjosland

Promote yourself and your film!!

I'll keep tooting!

I think the door slam in my film was AWESOME! I had to think about it a bit, then follow through all by myself. Did anyone else spot the DOOM style button?

Honk Honk!

Mad Scientists
2009 Blackout Superhero
Nervous Poop
Gorilla Pictures

jjosland

As long as it promotes your film!

So many of us wait to be recognised, rather than being proactive.

Hopefully this is a place where you embrace tooting your own horn.

Mad Scientists
2009 Blackout Superhero
Nervous Poop
Gorilla Pictures

jjosland

I think in New Zealand we are often too modest to push ourselves sometimes, in fear of being too outspoken or lacking confidence.

In light of the complex judging that has taken place, I encourage all those who have submitted an entry, but feel they have been robbed of a nomination to promote their skills and point out to others some of the things they have worked on during the weekend that they are really proud of. No doubt the judging process was a vigorous and extensive exercise with so many different films and genres, so feel free to point in a comment below any things you feel may have been overlooked.

I'll eat my words by kicking things off: For me, apart from my extended false start of black and having both layers in my final shot set at 20% due to some lack of judgement in the final moments before I had to conserve my energy to drive across town to get the thing in, I am quite proud of my editing. If you count the solid cuts (Not counting the rotoscoping and looping, or frame within a frame split screen), there are quite a lot more than you would realise! I am quite pleased with how fluid I made them- a lot are cut to the movement so to me they are fairly seamless. And I filmed the thing (including all the green screen and voiceover) on my phone.

Now, If you also have a case of severe tall poppy syndrome, here is a chance to be brave and overcome it; let you voice be heard!

If you done it, it ain't bragging!

Mad Scientists
2009 Blackout Superhero
Nervous Poop
Gorilla Pictures

jjosland

CHCH Predictions - Top15, Shortlist25 & a School List

I've long since given up hope of ever getting into the finals. Still, I would never make something I wouldn't be happy to watch again or show others. This year was a fun experiment to see what would happen. I really feel some of those veteran teams aren't pushing themselves hard enough

Mad Scientists
2009 Blackout Superhero
Nervous Poop
Gorilla Pictures

jjosland

2018 Recurring Themes

A few mockumentary ones from the ones I've seen in Chch

Mad Scientists
2009 Blackout Superhero
Nervous Poop
Gorilla Pictures

jjosland

2018 Recurring Themes

I was going to have a big puddle of poo and blood splattered blood all over the inside of one of the toilets at school, but my brain stopped working at some point in the weekend and I never used the shot-opted for one with just blood I think. I then found the caretaker graciously cleaning the toilet the next day after my attempt at spending a few hours at it on Sunday. I owe him.

Mad Scientists
2009 Blackout Superhero
Nervous Poop
Gorilla Pictures

jjosland

100 Days to go

A week ago it all started. Going to be a while before I recover from that one.

Mad Scientists
2009 Blackout Superhero
Nervous Poop
Gorilla Pictures

jjosland

Ultra clarification

if you had a character that was an adult and wasn't intended to be a main character but when you cut the film they came out quite prominent in the film (main character is definitely a child) would you be disqualified or just marked down?

I read on the rules page that supporting characters could be adults, but main characters need to be animals or children:

Your film must feature children and/or animals as the main character(s)
One of the oldest rules of filmmaking is “Never work with children or animals” They’re difficult to work with and outshine everyone else. This year we want you to break that rule.

Clarifications:

A child is under 18 years old.
The main characters must be children or animals - this does not mean actors need to be children or animals, we are happy for creative approaches to this.
Supporting characters can be adults/anyone else.
For solo/duo teams - yes child actors count as part of the team - no animals don’t.
For solo/duo teams - yes you can use footage of one of you as a child.

When considering supporting characters, or people who won awards for supporting roles, they are often still fairly prominent in their film.

Examples of award winning supporting characters:
Bernardo, West Side Story
Robert DeNiro's character in the Godfather Part 2
Tommy Lee Jones' character in the Fugitive
Kevin Spacey's character in the Usual Suspects
Robin Willian's character in Good Will Hunting
Javier Bardem's character in No Country for Old Men
Heath Ledger's character in The Dark Knight
etc etc.

That's my logic, not sure what others think.

Mad Scientists
2009 Blackout Superhero
Nervous Poop
Gorilla Pictures

jjosland

Green Screen Time

Yep! Used a lot of split screens and image masks on locked shots this year, but found rotoscoping and key-framing much more time consuming than the green screen. So much easier to do now than it was a few years ago.

If I was to redo- would have done more green screen (Opposite thoughts to last year, when I wished I hadn't done as much). I usually do the most complicated things first while your energy levels are high, usually to see if it can be done, while leaving the simpler (Even if it is key to the plot) parts til last, as there is no way you want to attempt some of that complicated stuff on Sunday.

Last year I spent several hours trying to imitate a parachute opening by blowing a car cover with a leaf blower through a gap in two green screens on the front lawn. The whole thing last year was a messy process, but it certainly helped to upskill in that area quickly.

Mad Scientists
2009 Blackout Superhero
Nervous Poop
Gorilla Pictures