VF48Hours Forum

Forum > Posts by jjosland

Posts by jjosland

jjosland
Since: May 2015

Filling up the screening room

Hi I uploaded the boys' video but there are showing 2 copies in the screening room for Christchurch 2019. Would anyone in the know be able to remove one of them?

2019 (School team producer: Breens B-Roll) Timeslingers Time Travel Film Christchurch Nominee for Best School Team, Christchurch Nominee for Best use of Genre
2019 (School team producer: Mini Mad Scientists) Miss Galaxy 3000 Science Fiction Film
Mad Scientists
2018 We'll just have to do things the long wayStar Crossed Lovers(ULTRA) Christchurch Best Art Direction Nominee
2017 Uber Cyborg 2.0 Sci-Fi Love (ULTRA)
2016 Wrong Target Mistaken Identity |Christchurch Most Incredibly Strange Best Bad Film Nominee|Christchurch Best Art Direction Nominee
2015 Uber Cyborg Science gone mad |Christchurch Most Incredibly Strange Best Bad Movie|Christchurch Best Costume Nominee
2014 One Man Army Against the Odds |National Most Incredibly Strange Best Bad Film|Christchurch Best Team Intro
2011 Humpty Dumpty: The Untold Story Mystery
2009 Blackout Superhero
2008 Take As Prescribed Horror (Disqualified for being over length)
Nervous Poop
2010 48Hours Later Musical | Christchurch Best Bad Film Runner Up
Gorilla Pictures
2006 Rubix Dude and Wheelchair Mania Superhero Film | Christchurch Finalist, Christchurch Best Original Score, Christchurch Best Use Of Character, Christchurch Best Screenplay
2005 Mr Fluffy and the Robot Sci-Fi (Disqualified- 4 minutes late)

jjosland

Filling up the screening room

Just added Mr Fluffy and the Robot to 2005. Not the greatest quality, but it is now there. I also have Rubix Dude and Wheelchair Mania from 2006 on DVD somewhere, but I accidentally put an SD card into the DVD slot in my Mac and can't get it out. Whoops!

2019 (School team producer: Breens B-Roll) Timeslingers Time Travel Film Christchurch Nominee for Best School Team, Christchurch Nominee for Best use of Genre
2019 (School team producer: Mini Mad Scientists) Miss Galaxy 3000 Science Fiction Film
Mad Scientists
2018 We'll just have to do things the long wayStar Crossed Lovers(ULTRA) Christchurch Best Art Direction Nominee
2016 Wrong Target Mistaken Identity |Christchurch Most Incredibly Strange Best Bad Film Nominee|Christchurch Best Art Direction Nominee
2015 Uber Cyborg Science gone mad |Christchurch Most Incredibly Strange Best Bad Movie|Christchurch Best Costume Nominee
2014 One Man Army Against the Odds |National Most Incredibly Strange Best Bad Film|Christchurch Best Team Intro
2009 Blackout Superhero
Nervous Poop
Gorilla Pictures
2006 Rubix Dude and Wheelchair Mania Superhero Film | Christchurch Finalist, Christchurch Best Original Score, Christchurch Best Use Of Character, Christchurch Best Screenplay

jjosland

Ultra Split Screen

Maybe you filmed two shots and matched them up, but the joining line was flawless?

Mad Scientists
2009 Blackout Superhero
Nervous Poop
Gorilla Pictures

jjosland

Thread about anything else!

From Rules: ULTRA48 teams must include the ULTRA48 elements as well as the regular elements in their films to be eligible to be a finalist or award nomination.

Mad Scientists
2009 Blackout Superhero
Nervous Poop
Gorilla Pictures

jjosland

Thread about anything else!

It has to be Full DQ. Otherwise, what's the point?

Mad Scientists
2009 Blackout Superhero
Nervous Poop
Gorilla Pictures

jjosland

Ultra Split Screen

I love split screen stuff! Ever since I tried to figue out how to do the scene where kids run away from Barkley the dog behind a tree in an older Sesame Street Ending:

I'm hoping some teams have some merging- i.e split screen following separate characters, then merging to one full shot. Like this one: (watch the end part)

We did that in a few earlier 48hour entries, and can't actually remember the last time one of our entries didn't have a split-screen shot. I just love how creativity comes out best when teams take up that extra challenge.

Mad Scientists
2009 Blackout Superhero
Nervous Poop
Gorilla Pictures

jjosland

Solo teams past and present (and duos if you see this)

Oh cool thanks! I'm not doing Ultra this year as I am only supporting school teams, but another definite recommendation! Both times I reckon Ultra has actually made my films better.

Mad Scientists
2009 Blackout Superhero
Nervous Poop
Gorilla Pictures

jjosland

Solo teams past and present (and duos if you see this)

Please do it! Well recommended- I was so pleased with how much I pushed myself last year, particularly the editing to make it look like there was lots of me.

It is really cool to see your own limitations. I found I could also edit as I went, without having to explain anything to anyone.

There were some tough moments early on, like 3am Friday when I realised that nothing was working well, but I pushed through it and got into a flow. Filmed it all on my phone as well.

This may or may not help:

Mad Scientists
2009 Blackout Superhero
Nervous Poop
Gorilla Pictures

jjosland

Looking for Cast and Crew in Christchurch?

I have a 2 teams of school children who would benefit from your experience. If I had my own team this year, I would be more than happy to accomodate!

Mad Scientists
2009 Blackout Superhero
Nervous Poop
Gorilla Pictures

jjosland

Shoot Weekend confirmed: June 14 - 16

in reply to Strange:

I remember holding my first tripod, swinging it around, yelling, "Let's Rock", like in Aliens. Kept doing that until I actually made my own mini-gun prop. One time we were filming at the Groynes and got told off for "shooting ducks with BB-guns". All we had was a CD rack and a canoe paddle, which when put together, the end of it looked like the rifle from the 'Clever Girl' scene with Muldoon in Jurassic park. Naturally some members of the public always think the worst, so be very careful folks.

Mad Scientists
2009 Blackout Superhero
Nervous Poop
Gorilla Pictures

jjosland

Great discussions going on here, and you have to appreciate the intelligent comments from both sides.

Just some more food for thought? (As Andrew Todd once said, my films are like KFC, fun to eat, but so bad for you)

I still hold strong that teams should include mini-guns. No-one seemed to care last year, and feel free to disregard again this year, but I just love the absurdity. Space ray-blasters, perhaps at least?

In Christchurch, there is the need to get back to normality for a lot of us, like Mr Teas said. For me, 48hours has always been the excuse to spurge into the extreme, and I would hate the shooting incident to take away more than it already has. With the right guidelines/restrictions/exceptions, and bias removed from judging etc, creativity could prevail.

If not, teams can feel free to keep making films set at home in a kitchen or whatever's easiest. Maybe fall down some stairs for an action sequence? Personally, I would feel ashamed at not having pushed my limits further, especially if you are an experienced team, except you might win the nationals. Twice.

Mad Scientists
2009 Blackout Superhero
Nervous Poop
Gorilla Pictures

jjosland

in reply to Vincent_Vega:

Hi Vincent Vega- just watched some of your films- Love them! Any chance of uploading 2015's one?

I also have to strongly disagree with Andrew about guns being boring. Personally, I find films that are too much a reflection of day to day life very tedious. I fully embrace action spectacle on the big screen, as a pleasurable alternative to reality. Growing up in the 80s, it was the action sequences in films like Die Hard, Predator, and Commando which opened my excited 12 year old eyes, and still do to this day. I don't remember watching Terminator 2 for the talking, although I can quote the whole thing now.

Unfortunately, the reality of the extreme violence has hit far too close to home this time, so the for many the previous excitement of following an action superstar going on a rampage for revenge/redemption now has a very different meaning, and is no longer an easy escape from normality.

I do like Jason from Auckland's ideas.

Hope that helps,

JJ

Mad Scientists
2009 Blackout Superhero
Nervous Poop
Gorilla Pictures

jjosland

Ultra 2019 (and why you should do it)

I love your stuff themorgan! I used a 4 month old to play two opposing military overlords. Fun times. I am still recovering from that weekend.

Mad Scientists
2009 Blackout Superhero
Nervous Poop
Gorilla Pictures

jjosland

How did you find your Genre's and the elements for 2018

2019 Genre: Mad Scientist Back Catalogue Film.

Wow that would be liberating!

Mad Scientists
2009 Blackout Superhero
Nervous Poop
Gorilla Pictures

jjosland

How did you find your Genre's and the elements for 2018

Perhaps a coincidence, but the 72hour horror film racing competition earlier in Match this year required a 'shadow' and 'a door opening'. Not promoting this competition, but rather just pointing out that we could have probably gotten away with submitting our entry for that with minor changes!

ANYWAY could the decision makers PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE consider some really really exciting genres, like 80s Action Movie. I mention this each year that personally I prefer to indulge in an action spectacle, which I feel has the maximise the effect of having things displayed on a BIG SCREEN. Primarily, I crave visual feasts, rather than a traditional story arc.

The year with 'Grindhouse' as a genre produced some cool entries!

I really would like to see a year where teams are forced to dust off their mini-guns out from their hiding places.

Mad Scientists
2009 Blackout Superhero
Nervous Poop
Gorilla Pictures