VF48Hours Forum

Forum > Posts by jjosland

Posts by jjosland

jjosland
Since: May 2015

What kind of rules would you like to see in Ultra next time?

Wow 2 films- what a cool idea!

A lot of questions to think about-
Would they be of different genres?
What if one was amazing, but the other was really bad, would they both have to be amazing to qualify? Maybe against a scoring system that takes the average of both films to compare with the rest of the entries in the competition?
What if it was two different versions of the same film, like different characters' perspectives (Rashomon/Pulp Fiction, or a prequel/sequel set 100 years apart...

Definitely a challenge that could make/break teams. What appeals to me is giving veteran teams an opportunity to showcase more in the weekend, and give acting talent more on screen time.

I heard/read somewhere in the ABCs of Death series, at least one team found it more sensible to make two shorts at once. Two Back to the Future movies were made at the same time, as well as the upcoming Avatar films. Even the people behind Futurama used this logic to have four more films green lit.

What a great opportunity to develop key skills to work under pressure, especially for teams that have been doing it for ages and seem to have the formula for the weekend under control.

Mad Scientists
2020 Any Portal Will Do In A StormWho dunnit
2019 (School team producer: Breens B-Roll) Timeslingers Time Travel Film Christchurch Nominee for Best School Team, Christchurch Nominee for Best use of Genre
2019 (School team producer: Mini Mad Scientists) Miss Galaxy 3000 Science Fiction Film
Mad Scientists
2018 We'll just have to do things the long wayStar Crossed Lovers(ULTRA) Christchurch Best Art Direction Nominee
2017 Uber Cyborg 2.0 Sci-Fi Love (ULTRA)
2016 Wrong Target Mistaken Identity |Christchurch Most Incredibly Strange Best Bad Film Nominee|Christchurch Best Art Direction Nominee
2015 Uber Cyborg Science gone mad |Christchurch Most Incredibly Strange Best Bad Movie|Christchurch Best Costume Nominee
2014 One Man Army Against the Odds |National Most Incredibly Strange Best Bad Film|Christchurch Best Team Intro
2011 Humpty Dumpty: The Untold Story Mystery
2009 Blackout Superhero
2008 Take As Prescribed Horror (Disqualified for being over length)
Nervous Poop
2010 48Hours Later Musical | Christchurch Best Bad Film Runner Up
Gorilla Pictures
2006 Rubix Dude and Wheelchair Mania Superhero Film | Christchurch Finalist, Christchurch Best Original Score, Christchurch Best Use Of Character, Christchurch Best Screenplay
2005 Mr Fluffy and the Robot Sci-Fi (Disqualified- 4 minutes late)

jjosland

I'd feel seriously ripped off if I was to dedicate time and money to a 30 short. The main reason I pay to enter the competition is so that I can have friends appear on the big screen, and the more things I can jam in up there for longer, the more satisfying it is for me and my team.

Mad Scientists
2019 (School team producer: Breens B-Roll) Timeslingers Time Travel Film Christchurch Nominee for Best School Team, Christchurch Nominee for Best use of Genre
2019 (School team producer: Mini Mad Scientists) Miss Galaxy 3000 Science Fiction Film
Mad Scientists
2018 We'll just have to do things the long wayStar Crossed Lovers(ULTRA) Christchurch Best Art Direction Nominee
2016 Wrong Target Mistaken Identity |Christchurch Most Incredibly Strange Best Bad Film Nominee|Christchurch Best Art Direction Nominee
2015 Uber Cyborg Science gone mad |Christchurch Most Incredibly Strange Best Bad Movie|Christchurch Best Costume Nominee
2014 One Man Army Against the Odds |National Most Incredibly Strange Best Bad Film|Christchurch Best Team Intro
2009 Blackout Superhero
Nervous Poop
Gorilla Pictures
2006 Rubix Dude and Wheelchair Mania Superhero Film | Christchurch Finalist, Christchurch Best Original Score, Christchurch Best Use Of Character, Christchurch Best Screenplay

jjosland

I think a longer running time would be cool for more experienced teams to flex their creativity- also a kind of reward for years of dedication to the competition. Maybe a longer minimum running time?

Mad Scientists
Mad Scientists
2009 Blackout Superhero
Nervous Poop
Gorilla Pictures

jjosland

Gems of the Screening Room Lockdown Edition

in reply to toowit toowoo:

Wow thanks for that- MEGA SOCK FORCE! That had a lot jammed into it. So ambitious. Love it!

Mad Scientists
Mad Scientists
2009 Blackout Superhero
Nervous Poop
Gorilla Pictures

jjosland

Gems of the Screening Room Lockdown Edition

Tim Hamilton's ROBO-FIVE-0 is also something to aspire to.

Mad Scientists
Mad Scientists
2009 Blackout Superhero
Nervous Poop
Gorilla Pictures

jjosland

Team Reflections: 2020

Hey everyone what are your brags and drags in your experience for this years competition? Lots of challenges to overcome... what are you most proud of having accomplished?

A great opportunity to share your adventures/misadventures, give more perspective and gain appreciation for what you have done! What do you look forward to doing /trying out next?

Friday night started off having a wealth of experienced acting talent available to provide voices to characters I intended to dress up as in masks/costumes while lines were recored on phones/recording devices etc to match. After some vigorous costume changing in and out in front of a green screen, I was over come by chronic back and kidney pain and ended up spending all Saturday in hospital (Not virus or film related). The team was very understanding, and through phone calls, messages and zoom meetings we managed to submit our film on time. Instead of getting into the costumes, I instead stuffed clothes inside of clothes to make them act like puppets, which kind of added to the surrealism of it all. We are proud of what we did, and I would encourage everyone to continue to make films that they enjoy watching themselves, not just to please others. I am really excited about working with a more physical team again next time!

Also: A literal easter egg in the film is my son Luca eating one as a bribe while sitting in his highchair while wearing a helmet he didn't want to wear.

Mad Scientists
Mad Scientists
2009 Blackout Superhero
Nervous Poop
Gorilla Pictures

jjosland

2020 Lockdown Review Pyramid Scheme

Yay cool idea! Just reviewed yours (My first review this year).

Here's mine!

Any Portal Will Do In A Storm

Mad Scientists
Mad Scientists
2009 Blackout Superhero
Nervous Poop
Gorilla Pictures

jjosland

New reviews / screening room!

I had this problem last year but have accidentally done it again: Any way to remove uploaded films? For some reason my one has gone up twice (again) and I don't know how to remove it.

While I might enjoy the extra publicity, it is unfair to the other 1000+ teams.

Any help is much appreciated!

Mad Scientists
Mad Scientists
2009 Blackout Superhero
Nervous Poop
Gorilla Pictures

jjosland

Lockdown genre numbers (a math nerd's theory)

#3 Holy Trinity

7 wasn't there, but didn't want 1st or last either. Big decision!

Mad Scientists
Mad Scientists
2009 Blackout Superhero
Nervous Poop
Gorilla Pictures

jjosland

2020 Lockdown Poster Thread

I should probably learn how to use photoshop. I cranked this 'poster' out on Final Cut X.

Mad Scientists
Mad Scientists
2009 Blackout Superhero
Nervous Poop
Gorilla Pictures

jjosland

New reviews / screening room!

At least it will stop the thoughtless "Excellent- I loved every second of it- 1/7 stars" type of reviews. Maybe in the future reviewers who have a reputation for giving valid constructive feedback might get their own separate rating column, like the dedicated Mista Teas. I suppose you can always state a rating you might give in a comment.

Thanks again for all your efforts Stu - so often your comments have hit the mark, and who knows how many young filmmakers have you have helped to lift their game.

Mad Scientists
Mad Scientists
2009 Blackout Superhero
Nervous Poop
Gorilla Pictures

jjosland

2020 Horror Stories

Hi everyone. Had the most challenging weekend yet, having had to go to hospital on the Saturday with back/kidney issues. (Unrelated to filmmaking or Corona). Endured severe pain in the Sunday, and was admitted into hospital again Monday (Today). Was in good hands, and am now recovering on some heavy, sleepy medication.

Needless to say, with a dedicated team we still delivered something fans should enjoy.

Mad Scientists
Mad Scientists
2009 Blackout Superhero
Nervous Poop
Gorilla Pictures

jjosland

2020 Lockdown Roll Call

Mad Scientists have minigun oiled and ready to go.

2020 Mad Scientist test

Mad Scientists
Mad Scientists
2009 Blackout Superhero
Nervous Poop
Gorilla Pictures

jjosland

Filling up the screening room

Hi I uploaded the boys' video but there are showing 2 copies in the screening room for Christchurch 2019. Would anyone in the know be able to remove one of them?

Mad Scientists
Mad Scientists
2009 Blackout Superhero
Nervous Poop
Gorilla Pictures

jjosland

Filling up the screening room

Just added Mr Fluffy and the Robot to 2005. Not the greatest quality, but it is now there. I also have Rubix Dude and Wheelchair Mania from 2006 on DVD somewhere, but I accidentally put an SD card into the DVD slot in my Mac and can't get it out. Whoops!

Mad Scientists
Mad Scientists
2009 Blackout Superhero
Nervous Poop
Gorilla Pictures