VF48Hours Lockdown Forum

Forum > Posts by SloppyJoe

Posts by SloppyJoe

SloppyJoe
Since: Apr 2014

Prize for best Cinematography Regional & National??

Just checking if there is a prize for best cinematography at regional and national levels?

Always has been seems strange its missing from the prize list...

SloppyJoe

archival footage

well... the simple answer is no - unless you are from a particular region then probably yes as it seems anything goes lol

SloppyJoe

Happy Birthday Copyright

Yip it was something the restaurant did regularly - no fine but a firm warning!

SloppyJoe

Happy Birthday Copyright

Definitely copyrighted here - I'm involved in a restaurant and we got a cease & desist letter for singing happy bd to customers so now "sing" a made up version.

SloppyJoe

Disqualification

Im very much an amateur in comparison to a lot of the teams and I think that is the beauty of the comp that us novices can have a blast in a competition where some of the best talent from around the country puts their best foot forward. But I Don't think the competition should should pander to us if we don't follow the rules - I kind of get the feeling at the local level here at least that it is - oh don't DQ them it might put them off competing next year... that is NOT the spirit of this competition IMO - it is and should be STRICT a taste of what the real industry is like, if I fail or am DQ'd I can learn from it and come back the next year stronger. If its all "no its all good" then no one will learn anything plus it puts the whole comp at risk.

SloppyJoe

Disqualification

The NP officials have told everyone (except the main winning film) to post their films in the screening room! Im new at this and our film didn't get anywhere near the finals so doesn't effect me but that is wrong isn't it?? Taranaki management need to get their crap together!

SloppyJoe

Disqualification

Speaking of DQs - this one made the final, do you think it should have be DQ'd for getting the line wrong? I kind of think so... http://www.48hours.co.nz/screening-room/2014/taranaki/sphere/

SloppyJoe

Disqualification

in reply to clattybella:

Man if you can prove a team had Milly Jean By MJ then it should have been DQed for sure!! The Dr Dre track was more than a split second and you could clearly hear the lyrics I guarantee Shazam would pick it up - everyone can make their own decision when they see it in the screening room I guess.

SloppyJoe

National Finalist Selection...

Sorry for any offence caused - all I will say now it as you can see by the comments above there is strong views from the bigger centres that the smaller regions produce lower quality films this makes me sad, and the outcome of this years Taranaki final IMO won't do anything to change that perception.

SloppyJoe

I am not trying to make trouble - no sour grapes our film didn't even make the final so we didn't even have a horse in the race so to speak.

SloppyJoe

To clarify Im not saying it was a rubbish film just that is was not the best the provence produced by a long way.

SloppyJoe

I thought that was the case - yes very sad for Taranaki this year they had some good films but the one the Judges chose to put through to represent the best of the region is a total embarrassment if it is perceived as the best the region has to offer!

SloppyJoe

How does the national finalist selection work? Is it just the regional winners that are considered first or a selection from each regional final (other than the possible wild cards)?

Just been to the Taranaki Final and man the judges made a cock up there, the winner was to put it politely - really poor. There were some great films in the final (sadly ours didn't make it :) but the winner even they seemed shocked to have won - the idea had some merit and the voice work was excellent but in general it was pretty crap especially in comparison to several of the other films. If it is the only one from Taranaki that is considered for the grand final then Taranaki is screwed. I guarantee if you asked the audience none of them would have picked it for the win! Also I think the judges should include someone from within the film or at least video production industry - the 4 Taranaki Judges consist of a Newspaper employee, 2 from radio stations and a "movie buff" their pick of a winner shows they have absolutely no idea of what makes a good film or the necessary elements to a competent production. A sad day for Taranaki Film Making.

SloppyJoe

Disqualification

Yea but I heard there was a young girl at the finish line with 2 min left to render and she left in tears because of the rules so sorry but fair is fair.

SloppyJoe

Disqualification

Yes I emailed the city manager and I think it has been passed up the food chain... it is a young team but I don't think that is enough of an excuse even if it wasn't done on purpose...?