VF48Hours 2020 Forum

Forum > Posts by Captain Woodrow .F Call

Posts by Captain Woodrow .F Call

Captain Woodrow .F Call
Since: Apr 2014

2019 Thoughts

I would like to see bamboo forest as a compulsory element next year.

Captain Woodrow .F Call

General 48hr Tips [from April 8 2005]

Don't forget Shifty!

Captain Woodrow .F Call

Speed Registering

It’s all good, just means I have a few things to work on for next years registration.

Things were going alright, got to the bottom of the page in about 25 seconds and pushed next, then I got that message that I didn’t retype my email address correctly, it threw me off a little and that was it.

Preparation start now

Captain Woodrow .F Call

Speed Registering

Didn’t make it .....

Captain Woodrow .F Call

Speed Registering

I'm pretty fast .

Captain Woodrow .F Call

Speed Registering

Every year i wait until Literally the very last minute to register myself into this competition. 12 years later and i haven't competed once. Tomorrow night at 11:58 i will once again try and become the fasted and last person ever to register into the 48 hour competition before entries close.

That's how iv'e always lived my life, i thrive on the pressure and i know when i finally make it, it will put me in good stead to go deep into this competition.

Captain Woodrow .F Call

Bowling

Who would win between Jesus Quintana and Ernie McCraken

Morals off for both

Both have 3 days prep

Under the World Bowling scoring system at the old lanes off of Te Rapa straight in Hamilton.

Winner moves on to face either Roy Munson or Walter Sobchak in the next round robin ?

Captain Woodrow .F Call

Setting yourself a challenge for this year

I concur, challenging oneself in this competition is integral to ones growth in the film making medium.

As a veteran of the 48 hour furious film competition with 9 films under my subspecies (5 late, 3DQ'S and 1 audience fav) i have pushed myself every single year and am damn proud to say so. Nothing will change this year.

Captain Woodrow .F Call

Next Years Competition

When will next years competition happen ?

Gus, Joshua, Jake and myself were thinking of putting a team together for next years shoot, when do we think this will be ? short turn around and get back into the usual sync of april/may or stay with september?

Reason i ask is we were thinking of leaving the running of the livery and some such to Newt and we need to let him know.

What would you folks prefer, April/May or September ?

Captain Woodrow .F Call

Consistency is key

I just thought it was a cool title for the thread

Captain Woodrow .F Call

Consistency is key

Who are the most consistent teams to reach the regional finals since this competition started ?
I seem to see the same teams again and again in the auckland finals which is pretty cool.

Captain Woodrow .F Call

The Wire vs Breaking Bad

Even though it was filmed in 4:3 i actually really liked the look of the program.
Its quite subtle but it helps the story along and dosnt eclipse it.

Breaking Bad and The Wire are different, I certainly dont mean this in a bad way but BB as i see it is totally focused on Walter and his transformation into a drug kingpin, its edge of your seat stuff and in that way, as entertainment i can see why lots of people would put it above The Wire but there were often moments in the show that felt way too convenient. I also agree with some people when they say that the female characters on the show were underwritten and didnt really do much.

The Wire on the other hand focused more on realism which i like, and was much more ambitious in scope. A bit like Game of Thrones it didnt matter who you were, if your death would be good for the story, they would kill you off. Obviously the downside for some people is the pace at which the show moves at, again i liked this cause the payoff at the end felt better.

Captain Woodrow .F Call

The Wire vs Breaking Bad

Here is a blog post by David Simon (Creator/show runner) talking about the show being re-released in HD and the issue of filming in 4:3 instead of 16:9.

http://davidsimon.com/the-wire-hd-with-videos/

(SPOILER)
I will warn people who havnt seen the wire, the first 2 youtube videos that he uses to explain the difference between the 2 formats has quite a big spoiler alert in them for season 2 so dont watch them, the next 2 videos are fine though

Captain Woodrow .F Call

The Wire vs Breaking Bad

8 or 9 years ago this forum was filled with fun threads like this where we would discuss things that really matter, sadly this has fallen by the wayside in recent years.

So i want to restart this and ask a simple question and see what the 48 hour furious movie community has to say.

What is the better show, The Wire or Breaking bad ? both show are pretty much considered to be the best tv shows ever made, what one do you guys think takes the mantle ?

Personally i think the wire has it, ive seen both shows and as a piece of fiction i think the wire is just much more important than breaking bad and will be remembered for longer.

what do you guys think ?

( I do so much hope that i get a few replys on this)

Captain Woodrow .F Call

2015 Roll Call

Me and Gus hope to attend at least one of the heats this year in hamilton and possible the regional final